Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005
Man hordes are SO good and fun right now. I hope the nerf they receive isn't too brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Today I ragequit a campaign cause I forgot vassals get +50 liberty desire after they reach 300 development. Suddenly I got crushed by a massive Ottomans + Russia + half of India independence war and I lost a century's worth of conquests in one go.

I should have fed them their provinces through the interaction menu to lower their LD but I never thought that'd be an issue :negative:

But hey, it was an Ideas Man run and that's a fun achievement, this is just an excuse to play more of it :getin:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

DeeEmTee posted:

Man hordes are SO good and fun right now. I hope the nerf they receive isn't too brutal.

Razing needs to just straight up move development into your capital or something instead of just giving you monarch points. Literally the only downsides of being a horde are crap tech and the LA cap, the former is fixed by razing and the latter is fixed by government bonuses.

Or maybe the Horde estate could be made even harder to deal with as you get more provinces so that you eventually have to reform or allow them to take over the government.

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005

RabidWeasel posted:

Razing needs to just straight up move development into your capital or something instead of just giving you monarch points. Literally the only downsides of being a horde are crap tech and the LA cap, the former is fixed by razing and the latter is fixed by government bonuses.

Or maybe the Horde estate could be made even harder to deal with as you get more provinces so that you eventually have to reform or allow them to take over the government.

I really like the second idea, perhaps with some kind of CK2ish series of events where far-flung corners of your empire rise up as random separatist horde rebels instead of the current disaster which is really easy to deal with.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Okay I got a very lucky run of byz so here's some 1.14 advice.

Make 3 units, 2 cav 1 inf in the Peloponnese. Ship your other ones to Athens. Sell your 2 trade ships to theodoro. Ally Poland and Aragon if possible. Since you can't ally both at the same time due to the -25 modifier, raise relations until they will both accept alliances and then RM Poland. When Poland sends an alliance request, ally Aragon and then accept the alliance.

Then you can attack whenever you're ready. Attach Athens' units to you and move to yanya. Sit there and wait for Poland (make sure they're not at war with TO) to move to attack. Help Aragon destroy the ottos navy. If all goes well, you should have Erdine and Macedonia besieged. Aragon and Naples should land troops soon and compete some sieges for you.

Make sure you occupy the provinces you want. I noticed your allies tend to give occupation to Athens because they claim everything. In the peace deal, take all of Greece and at least one province bordering wallachia and Serbia.

Once that war is over, fab claims on wallachia, vassalize them. Annex Serbia and then Bosnia. If Albania is still independent, take them too. Wait until your next war with the ottos to attack Ragusa. And then you're set.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Average Bear posted:

Sell your 2 trade ships to theodoro.

Wait what? How?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Elman posted:

Wait what? How?

It's a somewhat new feature, but "sell ships" is under the economy diplomacy section. You can get about 30 ducats for them.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Average Bear posted:

My allies gave my vassals occupation of territory I want... is this due to them declaring it theirs? Well I can't do that because I don't have the Cossacks. Can I get the occupation or no?

Vassals will occupy territory if they have cores or (maybe?) claims on it. Not sure how The Cossacks has affected that behavior, but regardless, you can't take it without letting the enemy un-siege it and then re-sieging it yourself. Or integrating the vassal, I suppose.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Yeah I know that, the problem is the vassal used diplomatic feedback to claim the province (Athens claiming central Bulgaria) and I couldn't do anything about it since I can't used diplomatic feedback myself, not having Cossacks.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

How do I use diplomatic feedback? My AI allies and I seem to have had problems communicating who gets what land I conquered.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

It's just something in the localization that's backwards. I noticed the moment I jumped into the new options page, because I was trying to figure out where the ironman checkbox went. :v:

Oh god this. It would make playing a colonial power so much less lovely if I could turn over a fleet to an Admiral, and tell it 'stay in this general area, attack any fleet you think you can beat'. Basically just a way to let the AI micromanage select fleets according to the rules that already exist for the naval AI.

I would kill for the ability to hand over the micromanagement of your military to the AI. I don't care if the AI is retarded with it, when you've got a big enough military that micromanagement becomes a chore, you don't need finesse.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I would kill for the ability to hand over the micromanagement of your military to the AI. I don't care if the AI is retarded with it, when you've got a big enough military that micromanagement becomes a chore, you don't need finesse.

This would be great.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Trujillo posted:

The English and Scottish both had better generals but it didn't matter. This is how your early battles will go with all your military bonuses:

The end, although I could've gotten it probably 100 years sooner if I went after Sweden earlier but I waited. They were knocked over by a gentle breeze so I felt pretty dumb for waiting. Canada is free because Greenland counts as Scandinavia but is also in the Canadian CN region so you'll have to release them and take it if you colonize.

I think something may be wrong with cultural unions when becoming an empire for custom nations. I should've gotten the British cultural union but Irish is still red for some reason.

I mostly followed this and am in great shape. Took one Irish minor, then England got in a war with France 2 years in, then Scotland declared, so I took advantage. I got coalitioned from all the land I took but worth it. They actually declared on me, but Scotland suicided their entire army against my God army in the mountains and peaced out before the rest of the coalition did anything. Now I have most of England and just waiting for some more AE to burn off before I wipe out Scotland, and it's not even 1465.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
This is driving me insane. Wallachia is my vassal. I have a claim on this province, but apparently wallachia dreams of becoming hungary. It's not fair that the AI can use this feature but I can't.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Please stop whining and buy the dlc.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Ah gently caress, I didn't lose much time but I just had a Castille run which had been off to a great start go to poo poo, because a couple of wars wiped out my manpower and while letting it recover, Aragon decided they wanted liberty. Fine in itself, but they also called in Naples, Portugal, and loving Austria, so despite my best efforts like 60 thousand assholes rolled into my country from all directions and pushed by poo poo in. Now Aragon's peace demands are insane. I'll just restart.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

cool and good posted:

Please stop whining and buy the dlc.

The whole point is that you aren't supposed to have to buy the DLC to still play the game normally

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Average Bear posted:

The whole point is that you aren't supposed to have to buy the DLC to still play the game normally

yeah, most expansion features are disabled for the AI if they're disabled for the player.

I guess the idea is that it's nice to know what the AI is looking for even if you can't set goals yourself, and the problem with the vassal here is an edge case?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Yeah that sums it up. Can't see what the AI wants, can't override it with my own claims either.

Would be nice to see what made the commonwealth break their alliance with me over.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

quote:

Europa Universalis IV: Buying all the DLC is just Common Sense

I mean, it's really loving hard to balance the game for every possible permutation of owned DLCs, and similarly it's also tough to give gameplay advice if you're not up to date.

For better or worse, give Paradox your monies

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I don't want to deal with estates as they are

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Average Bear posted:

I don't want to deal with estates as they are

Wiz deserves your money more than you do.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Under the new diplomacy system, allies will happily hand you over 100% OE.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Was this due to cores, claims, or provinces of interest? Or they just felt like screwing you over?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Pellisworth posted:

I mean, it's really loving hard to balance the game for every possible permutation of owned DLCs, and similarly it's also tough to give gameplay advice if you're not up to date.

For better or worse, give Paradox your monies

As hard as it might be the whole idea behind the DLC system is that the game is playable without any of it. Granted, this does not siund quite gamebreaking, but just telling the guy to buy the DLC is kinda lovely.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
The AI also doesn't have a problem giving you massive AE either. In my latest game Brandenburg gave me (Sweden) four provinces from Poland in one deal and I ate about 70 base AE before modifiers. Good thing I had uber-Brandenburg for an ally.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I think about how nice it would be to have this feature every time I play.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't get this hordes are so easy thing

I'm trying to do ->Manchu->Qing and getting curbstomped by Ming every time

I have no money is probably the biggest problem

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I don't get this hordes are so easy thing

I'm trying to do ->Manchu->Qing and getting curbstomped by Ming every time

I have no money is probably the biggest problem

Steppe hordes get a 25% bonus to shock damage on friendly (owned?) steppe provinces. So what you do is build as many infantry as they have total units in their front line and then fill as much of your combat width as you can with horsemen for flanking bonuses which lets you completely stomp most armies. It's completely worth it to go into debt to break a big nation because they will almost always go into more debt due to your units not costing anything to reinforce.

edit: You might also want to seriously consider not even forming Manchu because Tengri is much better than going straight up Confucian and between razing/Administrative 2nd idea/Manchu 2nd NI you'll just about break even/have a slight net gain in ADM for every province.

DeeEmTee fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 11, 2015

Shroud
May 11, 2009

DeeEmTee posted:

Steppe hordes get a 25% bonus to shock damage on friendly (owned?) steppe provinces. So what you do is build as many infantry as they have total units in their front line and then fill as much of your combat width as you can with horsemen for flanking bonuses which lets you completely stomp most armies. It's completely worth it to go into debt to break a big nation because they will almost always go into more debt due to your units not costing anything to reinforce.

Wouldn't that put your cavalry on the back row, or am I missing something?

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005

Shroud posted:

Wouldn't that put your cavalry on the back row, or am I missing something?

Well it depends on the size of their stacks. If they're doing full width stacks then you just build a normal horde army but abusing home terrain flanking is what you're hoping to do as any steppe tribe until you're so big it doesn't matter anymore. I honestly didn't even know hordes got a homeland steppe bonus until I saw http://imgur.com/a/WEGwr because it's not on any tooltips in-game as far as I can tell but it's EXTREMELY powerful. Hordes are honestly amazing right now, even playing at an extremely leisurely pace with a ton of setbacks you can do something like while being ahead of time in every tech.

DeeEmTee fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 11, 2015

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

John Wilkes Booth posted:

Was this due to cores, claims, or provinces of interest? Or they just felt like screwing you over?

Entirely due to provinces of interest. I asked for those - there just isn't any good way to say "Wait! Don't give me anything this war!".

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Can't you just return anything you didn't want?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why does Tlemcen get 100% disloyal when Aragon supports the independence of Portugal only?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

DeeEmTee posted:

edit: You might also want to seriously consider not even forming Manchu because Tengri is much better than going straight up Confucian and between razing/Administrative 2nd idea/Manchu 2nd NI you'll just about break even/have a slight net gain in ADM for every province.

Going for the Qing achievement

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Going for the Qing achievement

Then just try to fight on steppes/grasslands in your own territory and don't be afraid of mercs and loans.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Gort posted:

Can't you just return anything you didn't want?

No. Never. Absolutely not.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

My new Castille run was kneecapped because the King of Aragon would not loving die and was still going strong in his 70s, meaning I couldn't do poo poo about Portugal's explorations. At the same time, Portugal's other big ally, namely England, sat there merrily on the continent and never warred with France. Whenever I play England they loving declare on me on Day Zero but three decades in and England remains unmolested. Anyway Aragon and England combined mean I can't take Portugal out of the game.

Why can't I just have a run where things go my way :qq:

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

So what's the hard and fast rule of avoiding fort bugginess at the moment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Don't attempt to move armies near any forts.

• Locked thread