Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm guessing that Fox Studios probably sent a lovely fruit basket to Lionsgate to thank them for turning her into an A-lister. :v:

They had to work out a deal when making DoFP because they both wanted to film their mega franchises starring Jennifer Lawrence at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

kiimo posted:

edit: my issues with Halle Berry are personal, I'm aware she's good at acting.

Do tell :allears:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

kiimo posted:

I moved to LA 12 years ago and before that I didn't give a gently caress about the Oscars. However, it drives the industry. Golden Globe noms, like Oscar noms, get you hired. They're important. I like Crispin Glover, for instance. If he was ever nominated for an Oscar, rather than a Saturn, his career would be better, he'd have better roles and better opportunities to demonstrate his abilities with better surrounding talent, despite being a pain in the rear end. They're important.

i like the time The Tourist got nominated for a bunch of golden globes

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Deakul posted:

Whoa, what the hell guy, who said anything about touching her body?

I meant applying the make up to her face and doing her hair cause I'm a gay man that works in a salon, see?

Well then I'm sorry. A guy at work is a creepy weirdo about her (and a couple other celebs) and so I thought you went there. My bad. Please accept my apology.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Yeah you can't leave that one hanging.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Why not Stop and enjoy the Motion?

Kubo and the Two Strings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S1F8VJZgrk

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I generally hate the way modern CG cartoons look so homogenized, so that looks super impressive to me.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well then I'm sorry. A guy at work is a creepy weirdo about her (and a couple other celebs) and so I thought you went there. My bad. Please accept my apology.

Yeah, i'm glad he wasn't commenting in a light-hearted fashion about how a famous actress is attractive that would have been creepy and gross, icky stuff.

Anyway the movie looks alright but i'm not sure i'm convinced by Sophie Turner as Jean Grey.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

In the words of Dave Grohl, I would give my left nut to be with her.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah, i'm glad he wasn't commenting in a light-hearted fashion about how a famous actress is attractive that would have been creepy and gross, icky stuff.

Anyway the movie looks alright but i'm not sure i'm convinced by Sophie Turner as Jean Grey.

Please don't objectify women, you're triggering me.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

I generally hate the way modern CG cartoons look so homogenized, so that looks super impressive to me.

It's mostly stop-motion, like Coraline, Paranorman, and The Boxtrolls

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I really like the animation, not so much the copy.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Alehkhs posted:

Kubo and the Two Strings

wow......

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
powerful.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Did American Hero get posted?

Found it on youtube and never heard of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StDQ_P99rPo

Also

The Boss with Melissa McCarthy which will be wonderful because she is wonderful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yakeigyf0vc

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 11, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hollismason posted:

Huh, that looks likes Will Smith's Hancock but with just the fun stuff from the first half and none of the lovely stuff from the third act.

Of course there's no way of telling from the trailer whether they manage to maintain the mood or tail off into Hancock shittiness as well ...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Huh, that looks likes Will Smith's Hancock but with just the fun stuff from the first half and none of the lovely stuff from the third act.

Oh, so it'll be 2 hours of laughing at black people for being drunk degenerates?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

ApexAftermath posted:

Yeah you can't leave that one hanging.

It's nothing cool, she spoke at my school before she was super famous and she was a pain in the rear end and totally entitled.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Alehkhs posted:

Kubo and the Two Strings

drat, Laika hitting the big time with STAR POWER!

Hakkesshu posted:

The studio really only uses CGI for post processing, all their character work is stop-motion.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

computer parts posted:

Oh, so it'll be 2 hours of laughing at black people for being drunk degenerates?

Drunk violent horny degenerates!

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Of course there's no way of telling from the trailer whether they manage to maintain the mood or tail off into Hancock shittiness as well ...

God I hope it doesn't. Hancock was such a great premise for a movie, the idea of a dickhole lazy superman that the public was sick of was such a good story idea, then the movie just turned into complete poo poo so fast.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

kiimo posted:

Golden Globes are important because they're a barometer for how Oscar voting is likely to go. That's the only reason people immediately jump on GG noms in advertising.

And sorry, not trying to start an argument.

FWIW, two points. First, she was nominated for Comedy Actress. Second, her film, Joy, has been getting mixed reviews, to the point there's some doubt she will be nominated.
sorry I am a film awards nerd, it is a sickness. :smith:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Spatula City posted:

Is there a thread about film awards?? I nearly sidetracked some other thread with a discussion about the Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award the other day. (I highly suspect it's the Academy's "Holy poo poo why haven't we given this guy more Oscars quick throw some award at him so we don't look like idiots" consolation prize but I'm really no expert on that side of things)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i'm actually a big Oscar nerd, i was really upset i missed it last year. makes for great drinking games.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Spatula City posted:

FWIW, two points. First, she was nominated for Comedy Actress. Second, her film, Joy, has been getting mixed reviews, to the point there's some doubt she will be nominated.

I've seen Joy several times, it wouldn't surprise me if it got snubbed at the Oscars. The movie is uneven, it is kind of a misfire. Not bad in any way, it just doesn't have the magic.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Hollismason posted:

Deacon Frost. I'll watch it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this? posted:

They had to work out a deal when making DoFP because they both wanted to film their mega franchises starring Jennifer Lawrence at the same time.

It was actually a huge pain in the rear end for Lionsgate because Fox had her fully under contract -- she and Fassbender both signed three-movie deals for First Class, and then they both exploded in popularity while the movie was filming. I figure Lawrence keeps getting bigger roles in the X-Men movies to keep her happy.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

kiimo posted:

I've seen Joy several times, it wouldn't surprise me if it got snubbed at the Oscars. The movie is uneven, it is kind of a misfire. Not bad in any way, it just doesn't have the magic.

Is it as embarrassed at being about the inventor of the Miracle Mop as its trailers are.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JLaw in XMen looks more entertaining than JLaw in Joy. There, I said it.

Used to like David O Russel, but he kind of sucks.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I thought Jennifer Lawrence was really good in American Hustle. The movie as a whole was a little uneven, but lots of solid performances and hairdos.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Jennifer Lawrence is a very good actress who would be better if she stopped doing David O. Russell movies.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Jennifer Lawrence is a very good actress who would be better if she stopped doing David O. Russell movies.

Basically what I mean.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Don't put metal in the science oven!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah Russel's movies aren't very much my jam. I didn't know who he was but I looked him up and it seems he has a knack for getting good actors, but the movies themselves are pap.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That sting moment in the Joy trailer where she is telling someone off is so strange. I don't know what they're going for there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Yeah Russel's movies aren't very much my jam. I didn't know who he was but I looked him up and it seems he has a knack for getting good actors, but the movies themselves are pap.

Are you dissing Three Kings, my main man?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

To be honest I haven't seen that since it came out so I hardly remember it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That sting moment in the Joy trailer where she is telling someone off is so strange. I don't know what they're going for there.

I try to eliminate that moment in every trailer/TV spot I work on and it keeps getting worked back in. Apparently it resonates with adult females based on testing but it isn't really what the movie is about.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Hollismason posted:

The premise of this seems weirdly similar to American Ultra's (which I admittedly haven't seen).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Three Kings and Huckabees are legit great.

Otherwise, yeah, ugh.

• Locked thread