Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I like a lot of the stuff that Lennart does but I don't believe that he should have free reign to do what the gently caress ever otherwise I'm going to wake up one day with btrfs rammed up my dick and no way to do anything about it if I want no part of that bullshit.

The dude has (perhaps justifiably) a siege mentality after the shitshow that was systemd. Systemd won though, and Devuan seems to have hoovered up most of the dissenters so they can repaint their leaky-roofed bikeshed in their own little corner to their hearts' content. He doesn't need to go full tyrant on this one.

Trying to ram kdbus upstream by forcing the ABI into systemd builds only to abandon kdbus utterly two months later was a rather poor move, for instance. It's going to win him even fewer friends on LKML.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lmfao

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

Dear Init Freedom lovers, the Veteran Unix Admin collective salutes you!

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i think the 2nd best desktop unix, fedora, uses systemd. it seems to work really well even though i'm not sure what it does. i don't see why people have a problem with it. devuan is a dumb name and its pretty disrepectful to both deb and ian, imho.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Barnyard Protein posted:

i think the 2nd best desktop unix, fedora, uses systemd. it seems to work really well even though i'm not sure what it does. i don't see why people have a problem with it. devuan is a dumb name and its pretty disrepectful to both deb and ian, imho.

deb and ian are divorced now so i doubt they care

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

I like a lot of the stuff that Lennart does but I don't believe that he should have free reign to do what the gently caress ever otherwise I'm going to wake up one day with btrfs rammed up my dick and no way to do anything about it if I want no part of that bullshit.

The dude has (perhaps justifiably) a siege mentality after the shitshow that was systemd. Systemd won though, and Devuan seems to have hoovered up most of the dissenters so they can repaint their leaky-roofed bikeshed in their own little corner to their hearts' content. He doesn't need to go full tyrant on this one.

Trying to ram kdbus upstream by forcing the ABI into systemd builds only to abandon kdbus utterly two months later was a rather poor move, for instance. It's going to win him even fewer friends on LKML.

before systemd it was pulseaudio

before pulseaudio it was avahi

lennart has built his career on "my way or the highway" software projects. also dbus. so much dbus.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
ive never really got the point of avahi. never really seems to work automatically and never bothered to actually try to configure it

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
dbus is good though

anyway that was more havoc pennington's thing, he was the lennart of 10 years ago except he actually had some diplomatic skills

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Zom Aur posted:

ive never really got the point of avahi. never really seems to work automatically and never bothered to actually try to configure it

it doesn't do anything and yet turning it off breaks stuff. it's pretty epic

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pram posted:

it doesn't do anything and yet turning it off breaks stuff. it's pretty epic

i only have it on my home nas so that my samba shares don't show up as the bsod icon in osx

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Zom Aur posted:

$ ssh my-other-computer.local

i really like avahi

pram
Jun 10, 2001
you should try using apple operating system x

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

i really like avahi

setting up Avahi on my first RPi a few years back was so painful

one of the things I was pleased to discover in the Yocto distribution that came with my Edison is that it uses mDNSResponder rather than Avahi to implement Zeroconf

why use the weird overly-complicated knockoff when you can just use the original?

(the same goes for DBus and systemd versus Mach IPC and launchd, of course)

pram
Jun 10, 2001

eschaton posted:

one of the things I was pleased to discover in the Yocto distribution that came with my Edison is that it uses mDNSResponder rather than Avahi to implement Zeroconf

why use the weird overly-complicated knockoff when you can just use the original?

to be fair apple did the same thing in yosemite :shepface:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

pram posted:

to be fair apple did the same thing in yosemite :shepface:

and then late in yosemite knifed it in the back and returned to the old poo poo that works, lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

mdnsresponder is really gross code inside, which is why it didn't catch on.

among other things, if you go download the source tarball, it doesn't use autotools or anything. instead it has a separate directory for every "supported" platform. which may or may not have been updated with the changes from the other platforms.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

mdnsresponder is the thing i used to see hogging my cpu when i was on campus wifi, i assume because all my fellow college students had macbooks broadcasting their shared itunes libraries

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

i really like avahi
does this do anything that adding hosts in my local ssh conf doesn't?

usually anything i regularly ssh into is already in my conf together with pubkey auth, so i just do
$ ssh mc
for my media computer

(tbh, even that is very rare now, these days i usually just cast my poo poo)

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

bash and sh are both legacy garbage. you shouldn't be writing scripts in either one

i presumed that people still use bash for compatibility with other/legacy systems

which shell is the current hipster shell?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Zom Aur posted:

does this do anything that adding hosts in my local ssh conf doesn't?

it happens automatically without you having to editing a configuration file, which is generally considered a good thing in non-neckbeard circles

it also works properly even if you have a horrible router that ignores dhcp hostnames and dishes out random ip addresses or other poo poo that breaks any static configuration file based solution

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

gabensraum posted:

i presumed that people still use bash for compatibility with other/legacy systems

which shell is the current hipster shell?

microsoft, 100% legit truth, poisoned the well by getting powershell right, making it impossible for the linux crowd to admit that adding proper typing, objects in pipes, and an sql-like syntax for pipelines, is the entirely correct route

so, yeah, powershell is the current hipste

though still pretty next level current hipste

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

microsoft, 100% legit truth, poisoned the well by getting powershell righ

loving lol

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
i have to use powershell a bit and logically yes it works well but the syntax is hideous, wish it was more like C#.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

i've never heard of Devuan but it's like if a redditor tried to name a linux to appeal to african americans

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ubuntu??

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Soricidus posted:

it happens automatically without you having to editing a configuration file, which is generally considered a good thing in non-neckbeard circles

it also works properly even if you have a horrible router that ignores dhcp hostnames and dishes out random ip addresses or other poo poo that breaks any static configuration file based solution
that's true i suppose

i should give it a go if i start using ssh more locally

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pram posted:

ubuntu??

that's for africans

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Zom Aur posted:

that's true i suppose

i should give it a go if i start using ssh more locally

it's not just ssh, it happens at the dns level so web servers, print servers, etc will also all magically have the right hostnames with no further configuration

in fact that's the answer i should have given, nothign but ssh looks at your ~/.ssh/config so it's more comparable to editing /etc/hosts

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i've never heard of Devuan but it's like if a redditor tried to name a linux to appeal to african americans

i guess u could say, heh, that its a hip hop operating system

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

microsoft, 100% legit truth, poisoned the well by getting powershell right, making it impossible for the linux crowd to admit that adding proper typing, objects in pipes, and an sql-like syntax for pipelines, is the entirely correct route

so, yeah, powershell is the current hipste

though still pretty next level current hipste

you have this backwards

microsoft saw a bad and stupid thing, and then managed to make it even worse

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
my roommate has an Apple AirPort Time Capsule router connected to our cable modem

it fails at basically everything a home router is supposed to do

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Soricidus posted:

it's not just ssh, it happens at the dns level so web servers, print servers, etc will also all magically have the right hostnames with no further configuration

in fact that's the answer i should have given, nothign but ssh looks at your ~/.ssh/config so it's more comparable to editing /etc/hosts
no, i got you. ssh was pretty much the only relevant example for me for local stuff though, but the point was well made

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Mr Dog posted:

my roommate has an Apple AirPort Time Capsule router connected to our cable modem

otoh apple has made drat sure that nothing else works at being a time machine

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mr Dog posted:

probably has it set up wrong. airports own

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
notably apple's airport / time capsule products run netbsd, not an osx derivative

not even apple trusts osx networking code

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mdnsresponder is bad but discoveryd is worse

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Captain Foo posted:

mdnsresponder is bad but discoveryd is worse

build one to throw away

then return to it again and again because your software engineering practice is poo poo and you can't produce a working replacement

pram
Jun 10, 2001
second system effect lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

broken clock opsec posted:

otoh apple has made drat sure that nothing else works at being a time machine

"the milk in this new refrigerator keeps going off but it's got a really good can opener built into the side!"

It can't seem to do UPnP at all, or at least neither of us has found the option to turn it on.

Manually setting up a port forward requires a 1+ minute long reboot for it to take effect, so Apple AirPort Time Capsule products are officially worse at port forwarding than the shittiest ASUS router you can buy.

If you plug an Ethernet cable into it then it takes a long time to notice that anything has been plugged in. WiFi is all well and good but not when you live in the middle of Manhattan and even the 5GHz band is congested to poo poo.

IPv6 is hella unreliable in general and you have to turn off the inbound IPv6 firewall to make it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its actually good