Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The chemistry between Joe and Barry is the only thing that makes those scenes bearable.

I hate Joe-Iris scenes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I agree that the Joe-Iris scenes aren't quite as impactful as the Joe-Barry ones, but the scene with Iris telling Joe about Wally was top notch on the part of both actors.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The scene where he told her the mom was still alive was quite powerful too. Albeit undercut by an immediate in universe advertisement where the first thing Iris does after learning this is go compete with Diggle in an underground Guitar Hero competition.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Flash Season 2: Nobody Tops the Dreidel

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
You mean their relationship improved when he stopped unnecessarily lying to her? :monocle:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MonsterEnvy posted:

The fact that he is older is one of the reasons I have not given up hope on him. I know he is going to be pretty different. I just don't want him to be Wally West in name only.

Dye his hair red. Boom, done.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I just hope they give Wally his powers sooner than later. I want him and Barry and Jay to be the Flash family and kick Zoom's rear end.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't really read DC but what I understand is the only thing Barry Allen ever did that was interesting was die and that Grant Gustin was more Wally than Barry anyway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not really. He's kind of neither of them.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I have no idea what comics Barry was like but TV Barry is nowhere near the smug ladies man Wally West is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Neo_Crimson posted:

I have no idea what comics Barry was like but TV Barry is nowhere near the smug ladies man Wally West is.

He married Iris like right away and was a fairly stock super hero. About the only real trait he had that was not shared by all other super heroes was that he was a fanboy of Jay Garrick. Wally proceeded to make the role his own and was the Flash for about 20 years. (He eventually settled and married Linda Park on his relationships.)

Also seriously to anyone that has no read it. You should read the Flash book. Flash: Return of Barry Allen. It took place 6 years after Wally became the Flash and is one of the best flash stories. If you look it up it should be easy to download.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wally used to grumble about how he never gave the rest of the Teen Titans a hard time for being a bunch of east coast liberals but he felt like they were having a go at him for being a midwestern conservative.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Not really. He's kind of neither of them.

He's closer to DCAU Wally who was already like a mix between himself and Barry (basically a wise cracking forensic scientist with some of Wally's rough edges shaved off).

But yeah he's kind of his own interpretation, which is fine because as has been said, comic Barry was always most interesting as a martyr driving Wally to be a better man.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Aphrodite posted:

I'm sure Betty White could pull it off.

Edit: No wait, forget the typical appearance and get Jessica Walter.

They're already going to forget the typical appearance, look what they did with Amanda Waller.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Clearly if they are going to cast Granny Goodness it needs to be Louise Fletcher.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
gently caress that, get Harvey Firestein

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

greatn posted:

gently caress that, get Harvey Firestein

Hahahaha. That's perfect!

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

zoux posted:

I don't really read DC but what I understand is the only thing Barry Allen ever did that was interesting was die and that Grant Gustin was more Wally than Barry anyway.
Barry existed and died before comic characters got reinvented and became more well-rounded around the 80s and 90s. As much as the Golden and Silver Age stuff is fun, it never really gave him character. It was more interested in exploring his powers and getting into wacky shenanigans than making solid memorable stories. The same goes for many characters.

Wally became Flash around the perfect time for revamping and true development of characters and storylines across comics. And honestly, even after Barry came back it was clear that Wally still outshined him. Everything in the Flash mythos to that point, and even past it, was defined by Wally's presence and not Barry's. Barry had a short-lived run before New 52 came out and that wasn't bad, but it existed to set up Flashpoint more than anything else. I wouldn't even call Barry the hero of Flashpoint, since everything that happened was caused because of his decision to gently caress with time.

New 52 Barry isn't much better. He had a great artist in Francis Manapul, but the writing was bland and did nothing to really give him solid personality past "good guy who does forensics and tries to protect everyone he can" which sums up so many heroes out there. The current team after that only made things worse - they were responsible for the poor reintroduction of Wally and the writing just got incredibly clunky and hard to follow.

Normally I'm not a big fan of synergy between comics and tv shows/movies, but in this case I think the Flash book would benefit a lot from making Barry more like his show counterpart.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think they could do that without a supporting cast like the show. TV Barry is pretty mopey and serious on his own.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Aphrodite posted:

I don't think they could do that without a supporting cast like the show. TV Barry is pretty mopey and serious on his own.
I think that's more a result of what happened in season 1. He's gotten a bit more serious, but that's a consequence of two of his friends dying because of his actions, plus his mentor turning out to be his mother's murderer.

That said, I'd love to see Cisco at the least come back into comics. The Vibe comic wasn't that great, but if they bring him back and adopt TV Cisco's personality, it could be awesome to see.

Fifthfiend
Mar 24, 2014
This episode had a lot of scenes of my waifu, Patty Spivot, QED it was great

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Whoever played Granny Goodness on Smallville was actually not that bad.

The end of that Tim/Carlos video slayed me. Is that supposed to be an homage to that Orson Welles slow clap thing?

Also, thanks for reminding me there was a Season 1 gag reel to watch!

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 11, 2015

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Longbaugh01 posted:

The end of that Tim/Carlos video slayed me. Is that supposed to be an homage to that Orson Welles slow clap thing?

Or an homage to the Shia LaBeouf homage.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh hey, a deleted scene featuring Patty and Barry's boobs.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Upcoming episode spoiler featuring Killer Frost and what could be E2 Barry.

We all knew it was coming eventually but I'm excited.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

lotus circle posted:

Upcoming episode spoiler featuring Killer Frost and what could be E2 Barry.

We all knew it was coming eventually but I'm excited.

Wow what a loving dweeb

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I think it would have been a good scene to include. It was the first time Patty shared what happened to his dad, and they were able to connect in a deeper way since Barry also lost his mom. But I understand why they took it out: it doesn't advance the main story.

Makes me wish all these shows had one-hour-long episodes, instead of 40ish minutes. Things would feel a lot less rushed.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

enraged_camel posted:

I think it would have been a good scene to include. It was the first time Patty shared what happened to his dad, and they were able to connect in a deeper way since Barry also lost his mom. But I understand why they took it out: it doesn't advance the main story.

I'm not sure why this is a rationale that makes sense to you since 90% of the stuff that goes on in this show doesn't advance the "main story."

Edit: Unless I misread that post and you just meant the main story of the episode. But still, character development is important and that scene does a lot, plus it gives you a better sense of Barry and Patty's relationship and where they are at.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Patty herself is actually completely useless to any ongoing plots.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

That scene would have established that Barry is in control enough of his powers to stop vibrating when he's aroused.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

I'm not sure why this is a rationale that makes sense to you since 90% of the stuff that goes on in this show doesn't advance the "main story."

Edit: Unless I misread that post and you just meant the main story of the episode. But still, character development is important and that scene does a lot, plus it gives you a better sense of Barry and Patty's relationship and where they are at.

You're preaching to the choir. Any scene with Barry and Patty is an awesome scene. I'm just saying that I can see why they decided to not include it.

Then again, maybe they had another reason, like "this is a CW show and we don't want to highlight that two characters just had sex" or something.

Fifthfiend
Mar 24, 2014

BrianWilly posted:

patty's feet

They are perfect

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

enraged_camel posted:

You're preaching to the choir. Any scene with Barry and Patty is an awesome scene. I'm just saying that I can see why they decided to not include it.

Then again, maybe they had another reason, like "this is a CW show and we don't want to highlight that two characters just had sex" or something.

Hasn't stopped Oliver

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I'm disappointed that this got cut. We haven't had Flash trying to get it on since he was with Linda and started vibrating. I want a goesfastinbed joke drat it.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

A shame they took this scene out

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Dem legs!

Also lol Patty's favorite flavor is vanilla, I guess it's why she likes Barry so much.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

If you think of vanilla as bland, you haven't had actually good vanilla.

Actually get vanilla bean, the flavor is even more pronounced.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nothing wrong with vanilla, or being a dork with your superpower to conveniently "have some in the freezer." :flashfact:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That scene was straight up really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Xtanstic posted:

I'm disappointed that this got cut. We haven't had Flash trying to get it on since he was with Linda and started vibrating. I want a goesfastinbed joke drat it.

They did one of those in one of the first episodes of the original Flash series, but then it turned out they were talking about the fight they were watching on pay per view.

;-* "All I want for Christmas is"

:flashfact: "Me?"

;-* "I was gonna say Nog, but yeah, you'll do"

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 12, 2015

• Locked thread