Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I've seen a few people bitching that Ezra (Jedi-in-training) gets an Elite Pilot Talent while [insert other character here] doesn't, and this is a travesty because the kid has flown the Phantom all of once (And did a horrible job of it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

EVGA Longoria posted:

From what I've seen, it's mostly "This is so loving broken, the Rebels are unbeatable now, woe to scum and imps"

While I do not think it is completely broken, I do feel a lot about the Ghost and the shuttle are meant to be a bump above what the Imps and Scum will have this wave. Like, it feels almost like it was supposed to be better than what is offered for other factions for this wave to get people who are into the show to buy the game. I'm not going to be cryin' 'bout it though.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Are there people who self-identify as "Imperial Players" or "Scum Players"? :confused:

I play all factions equally and assumed this was the norm. You need to buy pretty much everything to get all the cards, anyway.

e: Then again, doing that wouldn't let them whine as much, so..

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Rebels is a :radcat: show, and I'm gonna get the Ghost as soon as I can afford it, which at the current rate should be well after I've played my first few games with the TFA starter

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

enigmahfc posted:

While I do not think it is completely broken, I do feel a lot about the Ghost and the shuttle are meant to be a bump above what the Imps and Scum will have this wave. Like, it feels almost like it was supposed to be better than what is offered for other factions for this wave to get people who are into the show to buy the game. I'm not going to be cryin' 'bout it though.

Wait and see on Punishing One.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Hell, I am kinda expecting the Inquistor's tie to be pretty good. Considering the thread tracers we saw.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

EVGA Longoria posted:

You're not required to play the shuttle with the Ghost, you can play just the Shuttle.

:eyepop: I thought it was like the Nashtah pup. I guess that's cool but you can't paint the Sistine chapel so easily on the ghost.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I've seen a few people bitching that Ezra (Jedi-in-training) gets an Elite Pilot Talent while [insert other character here] doesn't, and this is a travesty because the kid has flown the Phantom all of once (And did a horrible job of it).

Nobody gets an EPT in the Ghost and I think that's necessary, being able to get EPTs would make that poo poo be crazy (or crazier, anyway).

Even as it is both versions of Kanan seem very, very strong (I mean, killing an attack die off is huge), and both ships have solid, if unexceptional, dials. Not much green, but with the exception of lacking segnors or tallons, EVERY other maneuver except all stop is potentially open to both ships which is hella good, and crew options can make some of those green.

I am super looking forward to sticking Sabine onto rebel ships that don't normally get bombs though, that sounds super fun. B wings and superdash in particular. Equally, Hera in the crew slot on PTL Keyan Farlander is going to be something. K Turn all day erryday. Or Chopper, for that matter.

But I've got to agree with some of the whining, so far this wave does seem to be massively favouring Rebels. I mean, the new TIES have been nice, but the Ghost poo poo is CRAZY. The only thing they're really lacking is much in the way of initiative.

I'm really hoping the Mist Hunter and Punishing One are something special.

Shame Chopper doesn't have an Astromech slot option though :(

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Geisladisk posted:

Are there people who self-identify as "Imperial Players" or "Scum Players"? :confused:

I play all factions equally and assumed this was the norm. You need to buy pretty much everything to get all the cards, anyway.

There are definitely people that only buy into one faction and proxy a lot. It's economical but not nearly as fun :v:

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Panzeh posted:

Wait and see on Punishing One.

Yeah, We haven't seen everything yet, and I'm hoping this wave isn't just 'all power-creep all the time'. The Prototype TIE doesn't look at all like it can stack up to this so far, though.
I'm hoping it and the Mist Hunter will be something special, because I love me some bounty hunters

thespaceinvader posted:

Shame Chopper doesn't have an Astromech slot option though :(

Considering how Chopper and R2 hate each other in the show, I doubt Chopper would be having any of that.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I mean, it's sort of frustrating that Imps have nothing unique any longer, besides one 4 attack ship that's not even really viable competitively any longer. I don't pretend to be an "Imp player", but I'd love to see them get something that's actually only for them. Scum/Rebels have astromech slots, scum have illicit, Scum/Rebels have turrets, scum have cloaking with this wave. Imperials get ???

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

^^^^ swarms, arc dodging aces

the inquisitor is actually pretty amazing

alg fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 11, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Man, Keyan with Hera. Stack stress like focus on a crow.

Kinda makes wanna do a list based off that, and a k-wing.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
my Rebel playing friend is super hype for this expansion, but im not getting hard till we see the space toilet's dial and Boba crew. I'm still hoping for something to make Bossk more dangerous

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 11, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

alg posted:

It's basically a 3-die attack with no range bonuses. Which is OK. Boost/barrel roll is always good, 3 AGI is nice, it looks solid, especailly compared with e.g. Maarek.

But arcdodging aces are a LOT harder to do these days with all the various stress-delivery and autohit/autodamage options, not to mention that z swarms are available to Rebs and Scum as well. Swarms are fine, but they're not that powerful a lot of the time - you can roll 2 dice all day, but when you're rolling them against a regenning rebel ace who dodges most of them...

E:

bunnyofdoom posted:

Man, Keyan with Hera. Stack stress like focus on a crow.

Kinda makes wanna do a list based off that, and a k-wing.

Trouble with it is you don't ever get any actions, even if you do what many Keyans do and use Advanced Sensors.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 11, 2015

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
With FCS why would you even care?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

It's basically a 3-die attack with no range bonuses. Which is OK. Boost/barrel roll is always good, 3 AGI is nice, it looks solid, especailly compared with e.g. Maarek.

If I'm reading that right, it also means that the defender gets no range bonuses either, like the extra green die and autothrusters at range 3.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Oh yeah, that's right. Didn't twig to that.

It's basically a free Mangler cannon without the good bit of the Mangler cannon.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Geisladisk posted:

Yeah, there's people in my area who only play one faction.

I honestly started out planning to only play Imperials, but as I read more I decided to go with a bit of everything. It's harder on the wallet, but more fun overall.

alg posted:

Yeah, I'm excited for the Inquisitor. Those are the two I'm buying this wave (I still don't have a damned Most Wanted, so I've been holding off on Scum)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

thespaceinvader posted:

Oh yeah, that's right. Didn't twig to that.

It's basically a free Mangler cannon without the good bit of the Mangler cannon.

:psyduck:

ranbo das posted:

If I'm reading that right, it also means that the defender gets no range bonuses either, like the extra green die and autothrusters at range 3.

It also means that if the defender (or the attacker) has a card or ability that is useful at range one while defending or attacking respectively, it can be used. The ones that comes to mind most amusingly are Gemmar Sojan and Carnor Jax. I expect we'll get a FAQ update explaining how the physical distance is what's important, not the range band classification, but as it reads right now I'm pretty sure both of their effects would come into play.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Geisladisk posted:

I only play Scum, and I've had to buy very little out of faction to play the lists I want.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I don't think they would, as the abilities rely on the actual ship position, and isn't based on attack's range category. If you can't measure range 1 to them then you can't trigger the effects. Something that affected specifically range 1 attacks though should trigger. Can't think of anything off the top of my head though.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Strobe posted:

It also means that if the defender (or the attacker) has a card or ability that is useful at range one while defending or attacking respectively, it can be used. The ones that comes to mind most amusingly are Gemmar Sojan and Carnor Jax. I expect we'll get a FAQ update explaining how the physical distance is what's important, not the range band classification, but as it reads right now I'm pretty sure both of their effects would come into play.

I think stuff as it's worded now clarifies it. Both Gemmer and Carnor specify "ships" being at range one, whereas the Inquisitor's ability explicitly only has you treat the attack itself as though it were fired at range one. It wouldn't hurt to have a FAQ state it for certain, but as-written it still seems distinct.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Strobe posted:

:psyduck:

Yeah I'm a derp, it cancels autothrusters as well, so not quite accurate.

It's good but in comparison to some of the options on the Ghost it's not amazing, and the problem with lots of attack versus arcdodgy guys is that PS8 means you probably don't beat their initiative unless you take VI, so you don't get the shot. And even then, you're still only at 3 dice on 3 dice (or 4 if they still have a stealth device) and they probably have a bunch of tokens. It's good, but it's not amazing. The rest of the set remains to be seen though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah I'm a derp, it cancels autothrusters as well, so not quite accurate.

It's good but in comparison to some of the options on the Ghost it's not amazing, and the problem with lots of attack versus arcdodgy guys is that PS8 means you probably don't beat their initiative unless you take VI, so you don't get the shot. And even then, you're still only at 3 dice on 3 dice (or 4 if they still have a stealth device) and they probably have a bunch of tokens. It's good, but it's not amazing. The rest of the set remains to be seen though.

Honestly while all of the crew options are pretty good, on rebel ships there's already a ton of good crew. Kanan is still probably the best of them. Sabine could be a ton of fun on a K-wing, and the attack shuttle is costed about right for a Z-95 with an extra red.

I expect the scum additions will also have some good crew. Paul Heaver hinted that Boba crew was the card he helped design in the NOVA podcast.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, the Rebs do have an absolute plethora of excellent crew.

The more I play around with Ghost builds (YASB has all the spoiled bits in already) the more I feel like a very good job of balancing has been done to avoid too many super-broken combos - you can't fit Kanan (Crew), Kyle, and Experimental Interface into the same build without using XI to do bombs as the action, which isn't amazing, so the equivalent of BB8 PTL builds really don't seem to work that well alongside the potential brokenity of using Advanced Sensors to get two actions then Kanan to destress and Kyle for a free focus when you do. The lack of EPT is fairly clearly a well-chosen move to balance the Ghost I think.

Kanan is superb though. He feels like a gimme in many if not most Rebel builds that have crew slots.

I'm currently being very entertained by the idea of Sabine in the B Wing/E2 seat. Keyan/Advanced Sensors/PTL/HLC/Extra Munitions (i.e. pretty standard Keyan) plus the ability to dump off a Conner Net in front of whatever luckless numpty tried to get in behind you. Twice. Then K-turn on them and HLC to face.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I fuckin called it on Sabine. That's gonna be a pricey B-Wing with all those bells and whistles though, even if it sounds fun to play. Watch for every Dash player packing Proximity Mines and Conner Nets for a while.

The lack of EPTs on the Ghost is absolutely deliberate for any number of reasons. It's a good looking expac and I'm sure bits of it will find regular use, but as per usual the FFG forums are a dumpster fire so the complaining is de rigueur by this point. It's not like Imperial players got a TIE Advanced care package recently or, y'know, Palpatine.

My own personal disappointment is that there isn't a Chopper Astromech upgrade. I want to plug him into an X-Wing.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, comes to just under 50 points, but I suspect that if you can catch an ace behind you at the right point, it gives you just the right level of 'being a massive dick to them' that aces need.

You can fit in a tooled-up Poe and still have room for a Tala Z for a blocker.

Alternatively PTL Superdash with Sabine and a Conner Net plus tooled-up Poe.

I don't know if Sabine plus a Conner Net is better for PTL Superdash than Kanan though. Making Superdash all the manoeuvrable is soooo tasty. Basically makes Dash's entire dial green except the K-turn, meaning he can basically go everywhere and boost/barrel roll everywhere and keep HLCing all the things, everywhere.

Superdash was bad enough.

It seriously does make me wonder if Kanan isn't undercosted. It's a HUGELY powerful ability that only gets better the less green you have on your dial, and that's discounting the fact that it also works on others within range 2 if you didn't need it this turn.

E: I think the only things we don't have from Ghost are the generic Ghost pilot and the Thermal Detonator now? Anyone have any guesses about the latter?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, comes to just under 50 points, but I suspect that if you can catch an ace behind you at the right point, it gives you just the right level of 'being a massive dick to them' that aces need.

You can fit in a tooled-up Poe and still have room for a Tala Z for a blocker.

Alternatively PTL Superdash with Sabine and a Conner Net plus tooled-up Poe.

I don't know if Sabine plus a Conner Net is better for PTL Superdash than Kanan though. Making Superdash all the manoeuvrable is soooo tasty. Basically makes Dash's entire dial green except the K-turn, meaning he can basically go everywhere and boost/barrel roll everywhere and keep HLCing all the things, everywhere.

Superdash was bad enough.

It seriously does make me wonder if Kanan isn't undercosted. It's a HUGELY powerful ability that only gets better the less green you have on your dial, and that's discounting the fact that it also works on others within range 2 if you didn't need it this turn.

E: I think the only things we don't have from Ghost are the generic Ghost pilot and the Thermal Detonator now? Anyone have any guesses about the latter?

If you consider the rebel ships and the crew options, Kanan is in line with them, though, obviously he's amazing with super-dash. I think the idea is, also, to make PtL falcon builds more viable, which is an interesting alternative to the super-actionless fat Han predator/gunner stuff you usually see.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

My real issue with it is that it doesn't really feel like fat pancake rebel builds generally need much help or additional options as compared to say, similar builds using YVs. Hopefully Punishing One/Mist Hunter gives Scum this sort of love.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

thespaceinvader posted:

My real issue with it is that it doesn't really feel like fat pancake rebel builds generally need much help or additional options as compared to say, similar builds using YVs. Hopefully Punishing One/Mist Hunter gives Scum this sort of love.

Well, I don't think Ghost is where you're going to find things to help less-used scum ships.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

As long as they don't make existing pancake builds more powerful, but just open up new builds, I don't see a problem.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, the Rebs do have an absolute plethora of excellent crew.

The more I play around with Ghost builds (YASB has all the spoiled bits in already) the more I feel like a very good job of balancing has been done to avoid too many super-broken combos - you can't fit Kanan (Crew), Kyle, and Experimental Interface into the same build without using XI to do bombs as the action, which isn't amazing, so the equivalent of BB8 PTL builds really don't seem to work that well alongside the potential brokenity of using Advanced Sensors to get two actions then Kanan to destress and Kyle for a free focus when you do. The lack of EPT is fairly clearly a well-chosen move to balance the Ghost I think.

Kanan is superb though. He feels like a gimme in many if not most Rebel builds that have crew slots.

I'm currently being very entertained by the idea of Sabine in the B Wing/E2 seat. Keyan/Advanced Sensors/PTL/HLC/Extra Munitions (i.e. pretty standard Keyan) plus the ability to dump off a Conner Net in front of whatever luckless numpty tried to get in behind you. Twice. Then K-turn on them and HLC to face.

Does Sabine proc off of extra munitions? Her card says when the bomb is discarded.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Does Sabine proc off of extra munitions? Her card says when the bomb is discarded.

It says "Bomb token is removed", so the cardboard bit that goes on the board, not the upgrade card.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

ranbo das posted:

It says "Bomb token is removed", so the cardboard bit that goes on the board, not the upgrade card.

This also means it only works for Seismic Charges, Ion Bombs, and Proton Bombs. Your Proximity Mines, Connor Nets, and Cluster Bombs won't trigger it. (Which would be a fun trick if you could.)

It REALLY does seem like Rebels are getting all of the love in this wave, and that's no joke. But we've really only heard about the Rebel stuff for it so far. I want to hear what is coming out of the other ships before we go off the deep end and claim that Imps and Scum get shanked.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I don't know that that's the case actually. All of the bomb slots are technically bombs. Mines aren't a game term, they're just something that we as players use to distinguish action-bombs vs dial reveal bombs.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Yeah I think they would work with, say, proxy mines, but only for the first one hit per turn.

Ballpoint Penguin
Feb 12, 2004

Awakening the survivor from his frozen bacta prison, he learned a Deathstar had destroyed Dagobah long ago. He took it well, I guess.
Yeah, she would still trigger off of Prox mines and Connor Nets as you would remove the token after somebody flies over it.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
"Chopper" (37)
Fire-Control System (2)
Autoblaster Turret (2)
Extra Munitions (2)
Ion Torpedoes (5)
"Zeb" Orrelios (1)
Hera Syndulla (1)
Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)
Ghost (0)

Ezra Bridger (20)
Push the Limit (3)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Kanan Jarrus (3)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Phantom (0)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I wish this was going to be a viable build but it's going to get shot down so quickly. Just getting up in everyone's faces and trying to block non-stop, k-turning when stressed to get fcs shots etc.

Unfortunately with 0 agility and no defensive crew it's going to go down fast.

I feel like we are going to see a lot of the pilot Kanan with recon specialist and R2-D2 crew just to make those hull points last as long as possible.

e: similar but maybe better?

"Chopper" (37)
Fire-Control System (2)
Autoblaster Turret (2)
"Zeb" Orrelios (1)
Hera Syndulla (1)
Ghost (0)

Ezra Bridger (20)
Phantom (0)

Poe Dameron (31)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R5-P9 (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

The trick is to get soontir to bump so you get a 5 dice primary followed by an Autoblaster with fcs target lock while he has no actions. Brutal. The shuttle is just the cheapest one possible so the ghost can shoot twice.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

thespaceinvader posted:

Yes.

• Locked thread