Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Worst case scenario is you found two wires that you thought were the thermostat but were in fact abandoned live wires tied into the household mains, and you electrocute yourself.

The correct thing to do is verify exactly what you've got with a multimeter before you jump two unknown wires. Yeah you'll be taking extra time 99% of the time, but in that 1% case, well, maybe it'll save your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

While you are correct, you do realize that there's a pretty huge difference between 120/208-230 carrying wires and 24V Tstat wires?
Like the biggest wires you'll find in a tstat are 16 gauge or 18 gauge, and also color coded. So if you're loving around with bigger wires than than that in your air handler or thermostat, you already know somethings gone wrong.
So in this case you're not jumping out unknown wires, you know what you have and where they run.

And the way thermostats are run that's exactly how you do it anyways, you check your colors at the air handler/RTU and then once you find the colors on the Tstat you can jump them out to test the unit.
Now line voltage thermostats are a thing, but you'll almost never see on in a residential application, those are pretty much restricted to commercial/industrial settings. Unless you're running your house off of a refrigeration tstat.

And in case anyone is wondering, standard Tstat wires are:

Red- Is your incoming 24V
Green: Goes to the relay for the blower fan
Yellow: Controls the compressor contractor
White: Controls the heat. Usually the auxiliary heat strips.
Orange: Controls the reversing valve solenoid if you have a heat pump.
Blue: Is usually your common wire.

This is just a general guide though, as which color controls what is up to the installer, so it varies. Also you may have more or less wires depending on your setup.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I thought about it and figured it was harmless, but I had never seen someone cut into a wire just to see if it's the correct live wire. It caused me to :stare: until I processed it.

Then I looked it up and learned it was 24v and mostly harmless. It was a troubleshooting technique I'd never seen before. You don't cut into SpeakONs to see if they're live.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Technically they're bonded inside the main circuit breaker panel. Doing so outside that panel can cause issues, hilarious, painful, fire causing issues.

:thejoke:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

In his case, someone managed to not bond ground, and gently caress up the wiring such that ground and hot are tied together inside the unit. Einey meanie miney welp, gently caress it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Actual load bearing drywall:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
MY GIRLFRIEND just explained that she got a really good deal and replacing six windows in her house only cost her about $6k. What the poo poo???

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Maybe they were massive?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
WIndows can get expensive very fast.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zhentar posted:

WIndows can get expensive very fast.

Especially if they're not standard size. I got a quote for my house once, and I think it came out close to $25,000 to replace all the windows.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

MY GIRLFRIEND just explained that she got a really good deal and replacing six windows in her house only cost her about $6k. What the poo poo???

Not much information to go on. Even small windows can be expensive depending on their exact size (odd size==custom), materials and features.

I put a $600+ window in my office because I got it for $35 (brand new, mis-order from a lumber yard). Since it was new construction I could make the rough opening any drat size I wanted. Adn we're not talking about a big window here. Just a custom size wood window/aluminum clad outside with all the tilt in features and stuff.

(note: this may gently caress someone later if it needs to be replaced, but I don't plan on being here for that to be my problem by then)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Motronic posted:

(note: this may gently caress someone later if it needs to be replaced, but I don't plan on being here for that to be my problem by then)
A well-built and properly installed window will likely have a very long lifespan anyway.

Crappy Construction Tale:
A buddy of mine, paying "friends and relatives" rate, have spent more money on labor to re-do openings in his new house to fit standard Home Depot windows. He just assumed that it would be cheaper than getting custom frames. He was wrong by about $500 and now have lovely windows to show for it.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

I got a quote to replace 10 for $25K. Once you get beyond common-size single-pane sliders, it gets expensive fast

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Well they're pretty big standard suburban house Windows. I doubt very seriously that they are custom in any way. They're nice though, double hung double pane and we'll built. Maybe I just don't know what to expect. Kills me to think that they can cost that much.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

Well they're pretty big standard suburban house Windows. I doubt very seriously that they are custom in any way. They're nice though, double hung double pane and we'll built. Maybe I just don't know what to expect. Kills me to think that they can cost that much.

If you're talking about a cookie cutter housing development by a big builder you very well may be looking at special snowflake sizes. Don't discount the volume these companies buy in. They are ordering hundreds if not thousands of windows at the same time.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

AlternateAccount posted:

I bought a special order discounted 4' x 8' double hung Pella 350 series vinyl window and the original price was right under 2 grand. A grand per window is not that bad as long as it's not the basic stocked window at HD.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1SOOpEXsjc

Crappy or cool?

I'm going to go with "silly idea, well executed"

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

canyoneer posted:

Crappy or cool?

Crappy original construction. Cool fix.

This made my laugh. Thank you for this.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

AlternateAccount posted:

I spent roughly twenty six hundred bucks just in materials to replace six windows in my house earlier this year... poo poo adds up fast, especially if you're doing pvc trim on the outside (as everyone should). Between flashing, caulk, trim, galvanized nails, re-framing a few to pull out rotted sections and fit modern windows (which then required new cement fiber siding), not to mention the labor involved, and I still haven't trimmed out the interior, which will probably be another hundred or two...

Yeah, windows suck :(

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

Crappy or cool?

I have this exact problem, and now I have a solution.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

canyoneer posted:

Crappy or cool?

:aaaaa:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

canyoneer posted:

Crappy or cool?

That's loving amazing.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
but what if he wants to open that drawer and the one next to it at the same time??

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Long Francesco posted:

but what if he wants to open that drawer and the one next to it at the same time??

Well, to handle that, the one next to it actually swivels out on a hinge at the diagonal drawer end, obviously!

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I prefer to think he did that to all his drawers. An entire kitchen realignment all for one stove handle being in the way.

nota
Dec 9, 2013

Manslaughter posted:

I prefer to think he did that to all his drawers. An entire kitchen realignment all for one stove handle being in the way.

That would be amazing. Just imagine the look of confusion on the face of any guest trying to figure out where the cutlery is.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I saw a home today with a standard gutter downspout. The weird thing was at the bottom it hit a 90deg pvc elbow straight into the foundation wall/basement. It was also on the low side of the home. No clear exit elsewhere but I was driving by and did not look too close. Any thoughts on why?

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
It probably ties into the weeping tile underground.

E: Misread that, if the pipe is going into the house it probably is tied into the sewer. Unless the house has interior weeping tile. A lot of places do not like having weeping tile and gutters tied into the sewer as it increases the cost at the sewer treatment plants.

The Gardenator fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 15, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I lived at a place that had a sump pump that pumped into a pipe that went to the storm drains. There was a cleanout for it just outside one corner of the house. The pump would run for a few seconds every day or two during the winter, due to high water table.

Since the storm drain line was there, it probably wouldn't have been hard to direct a gutter into it, which would make sense instead of dumping that water into the yard so it could percolate into the dirt and then be pumped back out of the dirt by the sump. There was no such setup but it would have made sense.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I saw a home today with a standard gutter downspout. The weird thing was at the bottom it hit a 90deg pvc elbow straight into the foundation wall/basement. It was also on the low side of the home. No clear exit elsewhere but I was driving by and did not look too close. Any thoughts on why?

Was this in Philadelphia, by any chance?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
My downstairs neighbor leaves her bathroom exhaust fan running 24/7/365 and I can slowly hear the bearing giving out. Wonder how many hours of life they design these things for. Hope it doesn't light the building on fire.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The one in my house stops if left on too long and won't turn on again for a while afterwards, I assume it's got some sort of temperature cut-off.

Edit: at least, that's what I hope. Otherwise it's seizing up after about 25-30 minutes and not rotating again until the bearing cools.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 18, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Every one of those I've ever seen was controlled by the light switch. Usually in a way that they keep going for a few minutes after you've left, but I've had one that was just either both on or both off.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It is controlled by a switch. I just noticed that when I had a shower immediately after my housemate the fan cut out before I got around to turning it off, and flipping the switch didn't bring it back. After a while it worked again.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Usually in a way that they keep going for a few minutes after you've left
I have never seen this in a house. Are you some place other than the US?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yep, Europe. Always made sense to me. You don't want to leave the light on and waste electricity just to keep the bathroom fan going.

Are windowless bathrooms common in the US, or is it just an added convenience to have a bathroom fan? Over here I've pretty much only seen it in windowless bathrooms.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Edit: ignore

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

CopperHound posted:

I have never seen this in a house. Are you some place other than the US?

In the US in older houses you find timer fans sometimes. Usually controlled with a dial on the wall that works exactly like an analog kitchen timer.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yep, Europe. Always made sense to me. You don't want to leave the light on and waste electricity just to keep the bathroom fan going.

Are windowless bathrooms common in the US, or is it just an added convenience to have a bathroom fan? Over here I've pretty much only seen it in windowless bathrooms.

In windowless bathrooms in the UK, it's mandatory to have a fan of the kind you describe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jeherrin posted:

In windowless bathrooms in the UK, it's mandatory to have a fan of the kind you describe.

I've literally never seen one in the US. Most bathrooms have them on separate switches which accomplishes the same general task without leaving you UNABLE to stop the stupid fan.