Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blasphemeral posted:

Some of the people of this thread are subtly expressing their frustration at the current state of society by suggesting anyone could be one of the paranoid freaks.

... some of the other people of this thread are subtly expressing that they're paranoid freaks.

None of it has anything to do with Butcher who, as far as I'm aware, is a pretty chill dude.

That's cool. I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed him openly discussing how great Donald Trump is or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Butcher was raised fundamentalist christian and it does show through in the books. Scientists are arrogant and narrow minded fools who just can't handle things outside their worldview, while somehow at the same time, religious faith is a humble, powerful thing that deserves utmost respect. It's a common strain of fundamentalist cognitive dissonance. More generally, the series has a pretty conservative bent. Harry loves his guns. The government tends to be corrupt and/or obstructionist.

Still, Butcher does seem like a pretty chill guy. I would be shocked if he harbored some secret hatred for Muslims. A lot of his characters are kind of sketchy stock characters, but I think that comes down to the book's pulpiness and Butcher's shortcomings as a writer. I don't think it comes from Butcher having a particular racist worldview.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Wittgen posted:

Butcher was raised fundamentalist christian and it does show through in the books. Scientists are arrogant and narrow minded fools who just can't handle things outside their worldview, while somehow at the same time, religious faith is a humble, powerful thing that deserves utmost respect. It's a common strain of fundamentalist cognitive dissonance. More generally, the series has a pretty conservative bent. Harry loves his guns. The government tends to be corrupt and/or obstructionist.

Still, Butcher does seem like a pretty chill guy. I would be shocked if he harbored some secret hatred for Muslims. A lot of his characters are kind of sketchy stock characters, but I think that comes down to the book's pulpiness and Butcher's shortcomings as a writer. I don't think it comes from Butcher having a particular racist worldview.

On the other hand, religion is surprisingly cosmopolitan in the Dresden-verse. Instead of specifically needing a Christian crucifix to ward off a Black Court vampire, convicted faith in anything will do. Harry uses his fundamental belief in magic itself. When Christian angels show up they're treated pretty much like any other supernatural entity, maybe just a bit older than some of the other. Then there's Odin popping up too.

So yeah, the Dresden Files treats religion and faith positively, but it's not an exclusively Fundamentalist Christian stance.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Gygaxian posted:

Well, I'm a white Mormon from Utah, so you tell me.

But my point is that I feel like Butcher's relying more on stereotypes and less on people who actually live in Chicago (or people who would make up the leadership of the White Council or whatever). And the blonde thing. Like I said, he's got more blondes than Utah.

Okay, Im sure there are books for you that have a diverse cast and not a lot of "Tropey" things. But Dresden files is made out of tropes and was started by Jim literally using bad tropes his teacher told him not to use.

This thread gets weird at times where we circle around "Dresden files is misogynistic" or "Dresden files has bad female representation". It gets a bit tiring and the arguments are getting old.

I just like reading about a wizard throwing fireballs and putting in the occasional star wars quip.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Coming back to Dresden looking for a new book, and found the 'Dresden file' link in the op.

Did I really gloss over all the books, or is the Harry in a sexual relationship with Thomas thing just a 'two people in a single bedroom apartment, yeah gay' thing?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

It's a false assumption yes.

Also because Thomas is an incubus.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

At one point in White Night, Harry sneaks into Thomas' apartment to check on him. Security notices him and calls the cops, so Harry pretends he's Thomas' boyfriend so that they'll just throw him out without making legal trouble for burglary or whatnot. Harry's cop friends learn about this and give him poo poo about it.

So, yeah, there actually was an incident where he told the Chicago PD that he and Thomas were an item.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 11, 2015

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Wittgen posted:

I think you might just be finding what you wanted to find. Bob and Butters are scientists who are curious and inquisitive, Harry himself isn't above setting up experiments and studying magical and mundane subjects. Regular human scientists, just like any other non-magical humans are completely ignorant of the magical world because of how patently absurd it sounds to them just like it would to us if someone really did post an ad in the yellow pages as a wizard. This doesn't have to be a meta-commentary on scientists when its just a useful and quick way to handwave why 'muggles' haven't caught on yet.

Religion in the Dresden Files is a double edged sword where gods and faith can either make you warrior-saint like Michael, a literal Jedi like Butters or it can completely gently caress you up turning you into a monstrous abomination like the Denarians, or lead you to despair, self loathing and suicide by demon-assasin

Can't argue with "Harry loves his guns" but given the rate at which Dresden finds himself in mortal peril I don't think it's fair to hold that against him. Anybody would be glad to have a handcannon when they're being charged at by the monster-of-the-week.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

Exmond posted:

Okay, Im sure there are books for you that have a diverse cast and not a lot of "Tropey" things. But Dresden files is made out of tropes and was started by Jim literally using bad tropes his teacher told him not to use.

This thread gets weird at times where we circle around "Dresden files is misogynistic" or "Dresden files has bad female representation". It gets a bit tiring and the arguments are getting old.

I just like reading about a wizard throwing fireballs and putting in the occasional star wars quip.

Oh, sure, I love the Tropey and pulpy nature of the Dresden Files, I really do. I love the quips Harry does, and I don't even mind his "white knight" thing (though it really gets overemphasized at times). I really like Butters as a character, even though he's kind of like Weird Al as a mortician. I'm a big fan of Nicodemus, the Knights of the Cross, Marcone, and the fairies. I also really like the Kemmlerites as a whole, even though they're kind of pulpy as well. But I just think there's some bits where Butcher gets lazy with tropes and stereotypes.

But when he rejects or tones down the stereotypes, I feel like his characters really pop. Like Shiro being an accidental Baptist. Or the Billy Goats Gruff with the Eldest being the smallest and friendliest. Or Sanya, the Black Russian atheist.

I don't know about the "is Butcher a fundamentalist or pro-science" thing, I think if you equate wizards as scientists, he comes down on the side of science pretty well, though respectful towards religion (and considering Harry has met several god-like beings, he probably should be fairly respectful).

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

420 Gank Mid posted:

I think you might just be finding what you wanted to find. Bob and Butters are scientists who are curious and inquisitive, Harry himself isn't above setting up experiments and studying magical and mundane subjects. Regular human scientists, just like any other non-magical humans are completely ignorant of the magical world because of how patently absurd it sounds to them just like it would to us if someone really did post an ad in the yellow pages as a wizard. This doesn't have to be a meta-commentary on scientists when its just a useful and quick way to handwave why 'muggles' haven't caught on yet.

It's not a meta-commentary. It's a commentary. Dresden literally spends pages ranting to Butters about how people are too narrow minded and arrogant to accept that maybe magic exists. But when a religious person believes what they believes no matter the evidence, that's noble. The whole "people believe what they want to" was a quick hand wave of muggles not catching on in Buffy, but in the Dresden files, there's a lot more "these sheeple are deluding themselves."

To be clear, I'm not saying that the books are somehow secretly fundamentalist Christian screeds. I'm just saying that this element of the books clearly shows the influences of Butcher's fundamentalist upbringing. It's not the specifics so much as a general mindset which matches up pretty well.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Wittgen posted:

It's not a meta-commentary. It's a commentary. Dresden literally spends pages ranting to Butters about how people are too narrow minded and arrogant to accept that maybe magic exists. But when a religious person believes what they believes no matter the evidence, that's noble. The whole "people believe what they want to" was a quick hand wave of muggles not catching on in Buffy, but in the Dresden files, there's a lot more "these sheeple are deluding themselves."

To be clear, I'm not saying that the books are somehow secretly fundamentalist Christian screeds. I'm just saying that this element of the books clearly shows the influences of Butcher's fundamentalist upbringing. It's not the specifics so much as a general mindset which matches up pretty well.

Fair enough, but its not like Dresden/Butcher has some kind of vendetta against science or rationalism. Also it's hard to argue that a character like Michael still even has faith. You'd have to be a deaf blind idiot to live the life he has had and still hold any rational doubt about the existence of a higher power at your back who rewards you for living your life up to certain standards of behavior. You know... "God" stuff

Sidenote: my one big gripe about religion in the Dresdenverse is why Sanya has always had the most nonsensical character gimmick of being an atheist/agnostic ex-Denarian and Knight. Sure he can argue that he doesn't know for sure if the divine providence he experiences multiple times a day is actually an intelligent nigh-omnipotent being, or he could say that that being doesn't have to be the central figure of any human religious mythology, but at that point he's just gotten to obnoxious amounts of semantics.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Again, I'm not saying anything as extreme as Butcher having a vendetta against science. I'm saying he has a bad conception of science, and since it's bad in the same way fundamentalist's conception of science is bad and he was raised a fundamentalist, it's pretty easy to see where it came from. Specifically, it's clear that he thinks scientists reject supernatural claims out of narrow mindedness or arrogance or some inability to cope with facts that don't fit their worldview. People do reject claims for these reasons. Humans are generally bad at changing their beliefs. But scientists are better at changing their beliefs about the world, not worse.

This is kind of complicated by the fact that magic is real in the world of these books, but then again, isn't that the crux of the issue? Everything I've seen makes it seem like Butcher honestly believes that if magic did exist, scientists wouldn't believe in it. This is completely false. If magic existed, scientists would believe in it full stop.

I think Sanya is totally justified in not having faith in the "white god." It's clear that human will has profound power in the Dresdenverse, and worship is willful. Other gods also clearly exist. If I was in Dresdenverse, I would believe that there were was a powerful magical being that corresponded to the Christian God, but I wouldn't have faith in him like Michael does. I wouldn't worship him. I wouldn't believe whole heartedly he was an omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient person who was utterly good and loving and the only hope for my soul but also would infinitely torture me if I messed up. I'd think he was a big magical faith battery.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

420 Gank Mid posted:

Fair enough, but its not like Dresden/Butcher has some kind of vendetta against science or rationalism.

Well maybe not science but against a skeptical outlook and rationalism... Maybe. It's also hard to keep the character of Dresden separate from the author but as a reminder the one "skeptic" character the series has had was a literal monster.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
Sorry to derail the religion chat but I've been relistening to the audio books and while listening to Changes something stood out.

spoiled for Changes major plot point and ending.

When the Eebs kidnap Harry, while they think he is knocked out they mention the red king will never promote them to lords of outer night because they are not of the first Mya. Does this mean that they are a different bloodline and not subject to the bloodline curse that wiped out the red court? They also were in the never never (with the Erl king) did Jim say if they show up again? It is constantly mentioned in the book they are long term planners not quick to action.

Oroborus fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 12, 2015

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Your spoiler tags didn't work, fyi

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Oroborus posted:

Sorry to derail the religion chat but I've been relistening to the audio books and while listening to Changes something stood out.

spoiled for Changes major plot point and ending.

When the Eebs kidnap Harry, while they think he is knocked out they mention the red king will never promote them to lords of outer night because they are not of the first Mya. Does this mean that they are a different bloodline and not subject to the bloodline curse that wiped out the red court? They also were in the never never (with the Erl king) did Jim say if they show up again? It is constantly mentioned in the book they are long term planners not quick to action.
Close your tags.

I'm not sure what etiquette is for older works, so I'm spoiling just in case.

I think it means they were not of a particular ruling class of the Mayan before they were turned. It's more a prejudice of their *human* sides cultural background, not the lineage of the vampire that turned them. All vampires are directly related to the Red King. And remember, it was only the vampiric part that was destroyed by the curse. It specifically mentions that most crumble to dust because of the sudden accumulation of age. There were still some that reverted to completely human after the curse because they were young enough.

Plus the Eebs were last seen being swarmed by goblins. They dead. And if not, I don't think you can dodge curses by being Faerie.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

flosofl posted:

Plus the Eebs were last seen being swarmed by goblins. They dead. And if not, I don't think you can dodge curses by being Faerie.

Counterpoint:

Which is more likely, that the Eebs are one-off villains who get unceremoniously killed "offscreen", or that they show up later down the line hungry for vengeance at the worst possible moment for Harry?

Of course they're still alive.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
The Eebs are Spanish conquistadors, they aren't Mayan at all. Their point was that if you don't look like an 85 IQ Guatemalan peasant you can't reach the highest levels of the Red Court. Human racism, not magical bloodline stuff.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Wittgen posted:

Again, I'm not saying anything as extreme as Butcher having a vendetta against science. I'm saying he has a bad conception of science, and since it's bad in the same way fundamentalist's conception of science is bad and he was raised a fundamentalist, it's pretty easy to see where it came from. Specifically, it's clear that he thinks scientists reject supernatural claims out of narrow mindedness or arrogance or some inability to cope with facts that don't fit their worldview. People do reject claims for these reasons. Humans are generally bad at changing their beliefs. But scientists are better at changing their beliefs about the world, not worse.

I thought the stuff about scientists (which is really only in the first couple books) was mostly a not-very-serious World of Darkness reference. I don't think Butcher is actually anti-science.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Exmond posted:

It's sort of weird to say that because Dresden Files itself deals with those issues. You can argue it deals with them poorly but it is a literal ongoing oft-mentioned plot point that one of Harry's flaws is that he's got women issues. If the author wants to bring up the idea then you kind of can't avoid talking about it because it is part of the book.

When Harry has a weird conversation about gay people with a fairy queen then you can't really avoid going "wait, what about gay representation in Dresden?" after that.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

ImpAtom posted:

It's sort of weird to say that because Dresden Files itself deals with those issues. You can argue it deals with them poorly but it is a literal ongoing oft-mentioned plot point that one of Harry's flaws is that he's got women issues. If the author wants to bring up the idea then you kind of can't avoid talking about it because it is part of the book.

When Harry has a weird conversation about gay people with a fairy queen then you can't really avoid going "wait, what about gay representation in Dresden?" after that.

Eh, I don't really see him bring it up. Harry dealing with women in an chivalry-first/proper manners doesn't seem to be misogynistic to me.

Can someone explain what "Death of the author" means? I feel like the way I read books is either along that path, or against I. I don't consider harry's actions to be Jim Butchers actions, if that helps.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Exmond posted:

Eh, I don't really see him bring it up. Harry dealing with women in an chivalry-first/proper manners doesn't seem to be misogynistic to me.

Characters literally call him a misogynistic pig for doing it. There's some element of humor to it but it's also clear that it's an actual 'thing' too. The latest book has his trusted friend pointing out how Harry's behavior has changed and he isn't treating Murphy in that way anymore while framing it as a positive.

This doesn't mean it is Butcher's viewpoint but the fact that Butcher is introducing this invites discussion about what the book is saying and presenting. If a character goes "this character is misogynistic" then the end result is that it invites the question "are they right?" That doesn't necessarily mean that Butcher is saying that but books can also say things without the author intentionally meaning to.

It also doesn't mean you should be a dick and go "Jim Butcher hates women, the scummy pig!!" or anything.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Exmond posted:

Can someone explain what "Death of the author" means? I feel like the way I read books is either along that path, or against I. I don't consider harry's actions to be Jim Butchers actions, if that helps.

Death of the author means that what an author intends to get across in their work is not the only valid interpretation of that work. For example, Tolkien might not have been a racist but his LOTR stuff uses much of the same rhetoric and imagery as literal white supremacists, so it's not strange to see them latch onto it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

jivjov posted:

On the other hand, religion is surprisingly cosmopolitan in the Dresden-verse. Instead of specifically needing a Christian crucifix to ward off a Black Court vampire, convicted faith in anything will do. Harry uses his fundamental belief in magic itself. When Christian angels show up they're treated pretty much like any other supernatural entity, maybe just a bit older than some of the other. Then there's Odin popping up too.

So yeah, the Dresden Files treats religion and faith positively, but it's not an exclusively Fundamentalist Christian stance.

At some point I hope someone writes an article about the Catholic Church in fantasy. Whenever authors need an exorcist or a Real Priest, they're always a catholic, even when the author's own background isn't.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

At some point I hope someone writes an article about the Catholic Church in fantasy. Whenever authors need an exorcist or a Real Priest, they're always a catholic, even when the author's own background isn't.

I am tangentially reminded of the wonderful scene in Paul Cornell's London Falling where the police bring in various clergy to try to get hold of some holy water, and none of the clergy in question (I believe a C of E vicar, a rabbi and an imam) are at all impressed.

(No idea if that needed spoiling but I like to err on the side of caution, and also to make my posts read like a redacted CIA document.)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think it's the tradition. These guys had two thousand years of continued existence, defined a huge part of European history and have a super freakin' stylish and mysterious HQ in the Vatican and is hypothetical coffers full of who-knows-what secrets - if anyone knows what's up with the God business, it's gotta be them, right?

There's also the historical background for the other side of the matter: local folklore and myths and superstitions a lot of standard fantasy tropes is based on has been actively fought and suppressed by the Catholics, often turned into a straight good/evil dichotomy: think vampires and crosses. The story is already there, it's played, told and taught and we're all just tapping into it.

docbeard posted:

I am tangentially reminded of the wonderful scene in Paul Cornell's London Falling where the police bring in various clergy to try to get hold of some holy water, and none of the clergy in question (I believe a C of E vicar, a rabbi and an imam) are at all impressed.

(No idea if that needed spoiling but I like to err on the side of caution, and also to make my posts read like a redacted CIA document.)
That's a great scene and I'd love to see more of its kind; fantasy doesn't really handle matching different mythologies too well and it's a drat shame.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

anilEhilated posted:

I think it's the tradition. These guys had two thousand years of continued existence, defined a huge part of European history and have a super freakin' stylish and mysterious HQ in the Vatican and is hypothetical coffers full of who-knows-what secrets - if anyone knows what's up with the God business, it's gotta be them, right?

There's also the historical background for the other side of the matter: local folklore and myths and superstitions a lot of standard fantasy tropes is based on has been actively fought and suppressed by the Catholics, often turned into a straight good/evil dichotomy: think vampires and crosses. The story is already there, it's played, told and taught and we're all just tapping into it.
That's a great scene and I'd love to see more of its kind; fantasy doesn't really handle matching different mythologies too well and it's a drat shame.

That's all part of it certainly, and there are narrative conventions too, but I think it's also that Catholicism televised well. All those high church rituals and stained glass and ornate vestments. Catholicism is a very theatrical religion with lots of rituals that write scenes themselves. You want to do an exorcism? The Catholics have the screenplay already written out for you.. Nuns, too. And well established charities, so you can have poor orphans etc.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

All that stuff is why I don't think it's that interesting that Catholicism is the 'default fantasy Christianity'. It has the pageantry and the history and the story. What else are they going to use? Generic American Protestantism? Anglican stuff? That weird Pentecostal tongue-speaker poo poo? None of that would play half as well as Catholicism does.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Exmond posted:

The argument for it being misogynistic is saying that it stems from a "women are helpless and need to be protected" mentality.

What you make of that is what you make of it (and I'm intentionally making no commentary on whether I think the argument is right or not because I really, really don't want that derail, and please, please folks don't start that derail), I just wanted to explain the reasoning behind the idea that Harry's chivalry-first stuff is misogynistic. Right or wrong that's where the idea comes from, as best I know.

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 11, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Khizan posted:

All that stuff is why I don't think it's that interesting that Catholicism is the 'default fantasy Christianity'. It has the pageantry and the history and the story. What else are they going to use? Generic American Protestantism? Anglican stuff? That weird Pentecostal tongue-speaker poo poo? None of that would play half as well as Catholicism does.

Plus, I'm pretty sure the Rite of Exorcism is still considered a sacramental act in the Roman Catholic Church (but not an actual sacrament itself).

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

That kind of thing is part of what I meant by 'pageantry'. The liturgy, the Latin Mass, rites of exorcism, the vestments, the churches, it's all very picturesque.

That aside, the Catholic buildings are just cooler. I mean, the Catholic church around here is an old stone building with the steeple and a bell and old wood floors, and it's called Saint Victor's. The Methodist church is a big box with metal siding and that industrial carpet flooring. It's called "Townname Methodist Church".

St Victor's is the kind of place where you'd prepare to face a vampire. Townname Methodist is where you'd go for a bake sale

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Jim butcher being a white midwesterner attempting to write a series set in an actual, diverse, multicultural city and attempting to write characters who aren't white midwestern Christians is not a sin. But uuhhh it's okay to admit that he's really not the best person suited for it, and these pulpy books have flaws. Please think of what the future will say about your post history on somethingawful, when it comes to light that you wrote 10000 words defending Harry Dresden's latest 2 page description of a woman that fails to mention anything besides what she's wearing and how her figure looks in it.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

Gilok posted:

Your spoiler tags didn't work, fyi

Incredibly sorry for any new readers, posted before i ran to work should have checked.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Up Circle posted:

Please think of what the future will say about your post history on somethingawful, when it comes to light that you wrote 10000 words defending Harry Dresden's latest 2 page description of a woman that fails to mention anything besides what she's wearing and how her figure looks in it.

I'm actually willing to give Butcher the benefit of the doubt there, since I don't remember the character descriptions in Codex Alera being like that.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Silver2195 posted:

I'm actually willing to give Butcher the benefit of the doubt there, since I don't remember the character descriptions in Codex Alera being like that.

None of the other DF pov characters or the Cinder Spires do either. It's just Dresden.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
It's an interesting dichotomy. Harry Dresden is a huge goon who looks at tits and asses and that's what he notices and mentally comments on. It is obvious from Butcher's other POV characters (both in Dresden and out) that he can write characters that don't do this, and from there we can extrapolate that Butcher doesn't treat women like Harry Dresden's male gaze would suggest.

But...it's still a whole lot of boobs and butt talk every time that Harry meets or re-encounters a female character.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

Plus, I'm pretty sure the Rite of Exorcism is still considered a sacramental act in the Roman Catholic Church (but not an actual sacrament itself).
Oh, definitely, they still do it. It's not as exciting as in the movies, but apparently there's some evidence for its effectiveness...

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

flosofl posted:

Actually, wasn't there a situation where Harry said he actually could dodge a curse by hiding in the Nevernever? I seem to recall that.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Vicissitude posted:

Actually, wasn't there a situation where Harry said he actually could dodge a curse by hiding in the Nevernever? I seem to recall that.

Yes. I cannot remember which book it was, but When Elaine and one of the fairie ladies had captured him in the Nevernever, Elaine used the fact that he couldn't death curse them if they left the Nevernever to get everyone to leave so Harry could escape. Plus, there is a spot or two somewhere else where he says he could, but risking an unknown jump into the Nevernever at the time was an absolute last resort. I think the first time he said it, his Godmother was still after him as well so he definitely didn't want to do it. I don't think it works on everything, but it is possible. Really risky and hard to do though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Right, right, and it would also foil tracking spells, but something with a more potent connection would probably leap the veil and get him anyway.