Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So I just saw that FFVI is coming to Steam in a few days, but it looks like it's another lovely mobile game version. Is there any reason to be excited at all about it? Like I remember some people saying the port of V was showing that SE was learning from their mistakes, but everything I saw of that game made it look really ugly and stuttery.

Why couldn't they just pull a Secret of Monkey Island and give people an option to switch between the classic and mobile graphics :sigh:

Yeah, ignore the Steam version like the plague. It looks like poo poo. If you really want to replay the game, the SNES and GBA versions are the best. GBA has new dungeons/adjusted translation/fixes the evasion glitch, but people tend to dislike the music since it was adjusted to work with the GBA soundcard. There's a fix for that if you play on a ROM, but I honestly don't mind it at all. In fact, I think the GBA version of Cyan's theme is the best.

NikkolasKing posted:

Has anyone ever seriously played through FFVII with Cait Sith as a mainstay in their party? I never have and I'm curious.

Zaphod42 posted:

Lets talk about FF characters you never use

I pretty much never used Kimahri, for some reason his weird mix of lancer/bluemage/ronso just didn't jive with me. Not when I could have dudes like Auron and Wakka in my party.

And I definitely never used Selphie like at all.

I did use Yuffie but sparingly.

I avoid Kimahri like the plague mostly because I think he is a huge waste of a character. He is extremely stoic and boring.

As for Cait Sith... my first time playing through FFVII many years ago, my main party was Cloud/Tifa/Cait Sith. I still like Cait Sith, but nowadays I prefer to have Yuffie or some other member in my party when I can. I also think that Red XIII is kind of boring. I don't dislike the character, but I'm far more likely to use anyone else over him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

When I played FFVII I pretty much exclusively rolled with Cloud/Yuffie/Vincent because I didn't see the point of unlocking the "secret characters" if I wasn't going to use them literally all the time.

(I was also twelve years old and thought Vincent was just the coolest swooniest character ever next to Sephiroth himself, but still)

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
When I played through FFVII for the first time a few years back, my party was Cloud/Cid/Vincent because I think Vincent has the best magic outside of Cloud and Cid because Cid. (also, best limit break i guess? never got it)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My team when I played FF7 like 10 years ago was like Cloud/Tifa/Vincent, because I was like 13 and thought Vincent having a move called Satan Slammer was the coolest poo poo ever and Tifa had huge tits. Replaying FF7 now I'm probably gonna mess around with teams until I found a combination I like, but I'll probably end up with like Cloud/Tifa/Yuffie, because I like slots a lot and Yuffie is one of my favorite characters.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tae posted:

So I just found out I can fight cathedral soldiers in LR. Is there any penalty for fighting them, or can I just use them as easy EP generating fodder?

A few enemy types are infinite. Pretty sure they are one of them, so yea EP generating fodder.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Baal posted:

My team when I played FF7 like 10 years ago was like Cloud/Tifa/Vincent, because I was like 13 and thought Vincent having a move called Satan Slammer was the coolest poo poo ever and Tifa had huge tits. Replaying FF7 now I'm probably gonna mess around with teams until I found a combination I like, but I'll probably end up with like Cloud/Tifa/Yuffie, because I like slots a lot and Yuffie is one of my favorite characters.

good choice

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Can confirm Zidane, Freya, Steiner, Amarant is nuts. Amarant and Freya can both be pinch healers, Freya can avoid taking damage entirely, and each member has endgame skills that do massive non-elemental damage if you regularly steal poo poo throughout the game and grind Grand Dragons. And who doesn't do that anyway?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
My team running through the game, the very first time years ago was Cloud/Barret/Vincent. Before Vincent it was Red XIII. I don't even know why I had Red on the party because I absolutely hated him. I hated Cosmo Canyon too as a kid, but now I actually think both are cool. When the remake comes out I think I'll go Cloud Tifa and then whoever has got the coolest attack animations.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Shaquin posted:

Any tips for whom to place with which jobs for FF12 ZJS? Friend recently got me on 14 which has me on an ivalice style kick

Maybe this is a little late, but this google doc is a condensed version of years of internet arguing on that topic. The even more tl;dr version is: any job that wears heavy or mystic armor can hit 99 in their main stat; who you pick for light armor jobs (monk, hunter) and time mage will definitely make a noticeable difference, though.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 12, 2015

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Unless I hate a specific character I tend to rotate my Final Fantasy parties to whoever is the lowest in level until they surpass everyone else and then change it up again. I'm definitely normal and not a giant sperg, why do you ask?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Can confirm Zidane, Freya, Steiner, Amarant is nuts. Amarant and Freya can both be pinch healers, Freya can avoid taking damage entirely, and each member has endgame skills that do massive non-elemental damage if you regularly steal poo poo throughout the game and grind Grand Dragons. And who doesn't do that anyway?

That looks like a great team, but I rarely moved away from Zidane/Dagger/Vivi/Steiner. They seemed like the most story relevant, and balanced in a generic Thief/W-Mage/B-Mage/Fighter group.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
ff6 - Terra, Locke, Sabin, Relm
ff7- Cloud, Tifa, Yuffie
ff8 - Squall, Selphie, Rinoa
ff9 - Zidane, Garnet, Amarant, Freya
ff10 - Yuna - Rikku - Auron
ff12 - Ashe, Basch, Penelo
ff13 - Lightning, Vanille, Fang

I use all kinds of unpopular characters

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dubious posted:

ff6 - Terra, Locke, Sabin, Relm
ff7- Cloud, Tifa, Yuffie
ff8 - Squall, Selphie, Rinoa
ff9 - Zidane, Garnet, Amarant, Freya
ff10 - Yuna - Rikku - Auron
ff12 - Ashe, Basch, Penelo
ff13 - Lightning, Vanille, Fang

6: Celes, Locke, Edgar, Mog
7: Cloud, Cid, Red XIII
9: Zidane, Garnet, Vivi, Quina
10: Tidus, Auron, Wakka
13: I guess Lightning since I only really truly played Lightning Returns :v:

8: zell
12: basch, though nobody willingly

Die Laughing posted:

That looks like a great team, but I rarely moved away from Zidane/Dagger/Vivi/Steiner. They seemed like the most story relevant, and balanced in a generic Thief/W-Mage/B-Mage/Fighter group.

Narratively I do prefer Steiner to Quina, but blue magic is just too weird and fun in 9 to pass up.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FFVIII: Squall, Quistis and Rinoa. I usually use Selphie but last run I ran with Quistis and she has way the gently caress more Plot to her t han Selphie so you really should have her in your party for all the added character development dialogue.

FFIX: Zidane, Freya, Amarant, Eiko. In my hard mod run, I needed a dedicated healer. Also Eiko and Holy probably did the best consistent damage to enemies. Amarant helped me beat Necron, though. Wing Edge for the win.

FFX: Tidus, Auron, Rikku. They're just my favorite FFX characters and work well together. You don't need healing magic or attack magic after a while so this team works.

FFXII: Ashe, Penelo, Bash. Ashe is the only XII character I really like so the others don't much matter.

FFXIII: Snow, Hope, Vanille. Team Everyone Hates Them Except Me. I hated Lightning, was supremely indifferent to Fang and Sazh was just okay. Snow and Hope were my favorite characters though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FF1: Knight, Master, White Wizard, and Black Wizard
FF2: Firion, Maria, Guy, and That Other One
FF3: This, Game, Is, and Trash

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Trains are the best thus Selphie is the best, gently caress you if you don't get some pleasure in using The End on Ultimecia.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It's a sort of backwards pleasure at seeing the most ultimate attack suck since iirc, due to her scripting, it only takes her to 0 HP and advances the banter one step :v:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

It's a sort of backwards pleasure at seeing the most ultimate attack suck since iirc, due to her scripting, it only takes her to 0 HP and advances the banter one step :v:

"Now let me summon your high-school class ring as a boss. You remember that scene right? From like 20 hours ago. MWUAHAHAAHA."

I love FFVIII

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Baal posted:

Hey it's 13 year old me in 1996 playing the game at release. Also I liked Tifa's limit break minigame so she was a mainstay for the entire game.

FF7 was, like 6, full of characters I loved for story bits but didn't want to ever use in party for whatever reason.

6: Terra, Locke, Celes, Sabin
7: Cloud, Tifa, Vincent
8: Squall, Rinoa, I don't even remember, probably Zell or Selphie
9: Zidane, Vivi, Garnet, Freya
10: Tidus, Yuna, Wakka
11(!): Taru BLM
12: Basch, Ashe, Balthier
13: don't remember
14: Taru SMN

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I liked Kimahri.

In the HD version.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm getting that crazy stuttering that I got in FF13 (not in FF13-2). And this is in battles at times, I know towns have issues because they keep popping in NPC. I more than enough have the requirements, I feel like there's something I'm missing in my nvidia driver?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Midway through what would be disc 2 on the original PSX version of Final Fantasy VII and it really does hit me just how short the game actually is in comparison to how long it felt. Not much really happens on Disc 2, and then Disc 3 is essentially just the final dungeon, final boss, and dicking around for optional stuff on the world map. I'm not complaining, but I guess that's just testament to how well the game flows.

Milli posted:

Trains are the best thus Selphie is the best, gently caress you if you don't get some pleasure in using The End on Ultimecia.

To the future, we will go~

I like all of VIII's characters. :unsmith:

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Tae posted:

I'm getting that crazy stuttering that I got in FF13 (not in FF13-2). And this is in battles at times, I know towns have issues because they keep popping in NPC. I more than enough have the requirements, I feel like there's something I'm missing in my nvidia driver?

Have you tried turning on full vsync + triple buffering in the control panel

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
IMO listing least favorites is more fun

1: Monk - looks like he gave himself that haircut
4: Porom - 7 year old schoolmarm, Palom otoh has a great portrait
5: BUTTS - funny name literally the only interesting thing about him
6: Gau - learning rages sucks
7: Yuffie - stole my poo poo
8: Zell - just a regular guy with jnco shorts and a tribal tattoo on his face
9: Eiko - precocious kids are the worst
10: Wakka - dumb outfit, dumb weapon, dumb accent
11: Square Enix
12: Vaan - too easy
13: Hope - Snow was right

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I'm the mutant in the world who likes Vaan. Shun me.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

NikkolasKing posted:

Has anyone ever seriously played through FFVII with Cait Sith as a mainstay in their party? I never have and I'm curious.

Yes.
Because I like cats and his animations are neat. I don't really have strong feelings about cute mascot characters either.
On my first playthrough my party was Cait Sith/Red XIII for the most part.

The only character I have never really used much in FF7 is Aerith and I remember being really glad when she died after she had forced her way into the party for an entire dungeon. Good loving riddance. Admittedly my adversity to her undermined the supposedly dramatic moment a bit.
She's fine story wise, but I could never appreciate her gameplay use long enough to actually grind out her useful limits. I've tried giving her a chance as a mage character, but I usually just swap in other characters despite the game being easy either way.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Grimace posted:

Midway through what would be disc 2 on the original PSX version of Final Fantasy VII and it really does hit me just how short the game actually is in comparison to how long it felt. Not much really happens on Disc 2, and then Disc 3 is essentially just the final dungeon, final boss, and dicking around for optional stuff on the world map. I'm not complaining, but I guess that's just testament to how well the game flows.

I never noticed until my last run of VII but Disk 1 is ridiculously longer than Disk 2. Maybe because they poured on the FMVs in Disk 2 and that took up all the space?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF6: Mog, Strago, Umaro, Gogo

FF8: Squall, other two irrelevant since I just had Squall solo everything. It sure was fun fighting the final boss the first time when Aura was blown away, though!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

alcharagia posted:

I liked Kimahri.

In the HD version.

Same here. If you take him down Rikku's sphere grid he gets Steal/Use almost immediately which is cool.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Onmi posted:

I'm the mutant in the world who likes Vaan. Shun me.

He had a very fun fighting style in Dissidia.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Zombies' Downfall posted:

10: Wakka - dumb outfit, dumb weapon, dumb accent

It seems like if you're going by dumb outfits then Tidus should be the worst by far

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

FF6: I tend to use everyone but Cyan, Umaro, Mog and Gau pretty equally. I know Gau is actually extremely overpowered but I just never bothered to learn his Rages before. The final dungeon forces you to have built up 12 characters properly anyway so I'm not strictly sure there is a best party in this game.
FF7: Cloud, Yuffie and Cid. I hear Barrett by the end game is slightly better than Cid but only slightly.
FF8: Squall, Zell and Irvine. I've not really experimented with this game as much because I don't like FF8.
FF9: Last time I played it years ago I went with a boring party of Zidane, Dagger, Steiner and Vivi. I might try out Zidane, Freya, Steiner and Amarant that got mentioned though. I don't know why I've never used Freya much but Eiko and Amarant usually came too late in the game for me to care much about.
FF10: In the early game I usually use everyone but by the end game then Tidus, Wakka and Rikku is the most useful and I think, the best statistically too?
FF12: I've only played vanilla FF12 like once, all of my replays are of the IZJS version where everyone is equally as useful.
FF13: I've never actually did any postgame content, I was kind of done with the game by the ending. I used Lightning, Fang and Hope though for the final boss.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

In FF IX I've always prefered Eiko over Garnet; Double-White is a much more practical and versatile Trance than Eidolon and Holy/Madeen is generally far better (and quicker) for nuking than any of Garnet's summons. I tried using Quina in my playthrough last year but the low accuracy of every offensive spell ended up making them feel pretty worthless into the midgame, though it was nice going through Fossil Roo with with White Wind andf Mighty Guard

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So either I suck real bad, or I'm not supposed to fight Noel on day 2? Did eventually beat him, but got 0 stars.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

IMO listing least favorites is more fun

1: Black Wizard - Only useful to buff melee to deal more damage
2: Guy - Talks to beavers and I remember nothing else
3: Ignus - Don't know why, just don't like him the most
4: Edge - You're not cool, stop hitting on Rydia
5: All of them are gRRRRRReat
6: Mog - In a game loaded with characters I can't give a crap about, I can't give a crap about you the most
7: Vincent - The worst limit breaks
8: Irvine - The worst limit breaks, not sure if he says anything after Disc 2
9: Eiko/Amarant - precocious kids are the worst as are people with no story
10: Lulu - You are more useless than Kimahri. Think about that.
11: That beach
12: Penelo - I would have accepted clone-stamp Vaan over you
13: Vanille - Your voice and attitude is like daggers
14: Every single quest-giver

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tae posted:

So either I suck real bad, or I'm not supposed to fight Noel on day 2? Did eventually beat him, but got 0 stars.

You can do some quests in other areas to get more stats, but Noel is probably the easiest of the area bosses.

So you suck real bad :v:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

IIRC Caius is the hardest one so maybe leave him for last

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

All I really know about LR is that Lightning fights Snow, Noel and Caius. I can only assume LR is Lightning's quest to kill all the actually good characters so when it's only her and Serah's clone thing whatever left, she will be the "best" character by default.

I seriously can't comprehend the LR love on this forum or muster up any enthusiasm for ever playing it when it stars the character I have hated ever since I played XIII.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I quite literally cannot comprehend subjectivity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

People like Lightning Returns because it's a fun game

I don't know how you get to the point where you actually hate a video game character that much but maybe you should try the good game if it goes on sale or something