Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop

Iron Chitlin posted:

During one of the dev streams, they were talking about doing an announcer pack, but said that they were going to make sure that Wayne June's schedule was free enough to get what they need to finish the game before they would start to put that together. John, the community manager who does the streams, is apparently a big DOTA fan and he said he has a personal interest in seeing this happen.

I really hope this game accelerates June's career but it's going to be hard for him to not be typecast after this. He's knocked it out of the park. It's like how the only VA work Tricia Helfer seems to get, post-Battlestar Galactica, is "calculating fembot with ice water for blood."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

It's also come up in game when he had a crisis. He sometimes yells "You have her face! How can you have her face!" so she's probably at least someone he knew.

I think that it more that the woman's face is etched into his mind and when he loses it he just keeps seeing his victim's face everywhere due to the guilt.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Snollygoster posted:

I really hope this game accelerates June's career but it's going to be hard for him to not be typecast after this. He's knocked it out of the park. It's like how the only VA work Tricia Helfer seems to get, post-Battlestar Galactica, is "calculating fembot with ice water for blood."

This guy has done a bunch of audiobooks of Lovecraft and similar authors. I think the damage--such as it is--is already done.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

The Evil Thing posted:

This guy has done a bunch of audiobooks of Lovecraft and similar authors. I think the damage--such as it is--is already done.

Time to look them up holy poo poo

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012
I'm honestly scared of the darkest dungeon (the currently unreleased dungeon) if everyone has to be 6 in order to get in there. Doing any level 5 quests even for a team of level 6s can be extremely difficult when a dps enemy crits your tank for 3/4 of their hp in the first round of the first fight on a quest that's supposed to last 2 camps. A dungeon balanced around level 6s is gonna be pretty crazy.

Also, I'm pretty sure the new madman enemy is replacing the bone noble guy as my least favorite enemy in the game.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Eulogistics posted:

I'm honestly scared of the darkest dungeon (the currently unreleased dungeon) if everyone has to be 6 in order to get in there. Doing any level 5 quests even for a team of level 6s can be extremely difficult when a dps enemy crits your tank for 3/4 of their hp in the first round of the first fight on a quest that's supposed to last 2 camps. A dungeon balanced around level 6s is gonna be pretty crazy.

Also, I'm pretty sure the new madman enemy is replacing the bone noble guy as my least favorite enemy in the game.

Personally I hope the Darkest Dungeon will have quests for every level of the game, because if it's just there as an endgame goal I think it'll be much less effective as a "holy poo poo" place. If instead every time you go there you have a specific (hard) objective to accomplish and you'll meet all sorts of crazy poo poo in there, the build up is much better. Bonus points if you can't retreat early so every mission there is do or die and it can grant unique traits and abilities.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Demiurge4 posted:

Personally I hope the Darkest Dungeon will have quests for every level of the game, because if it's just there as an endgame goal I think it'll be much less effective as a "holy poo poo" place. If instead every time you go there you have a specific (hard) objective to accomplish and you'll meet all sorts of crazy poo poo in there, the build up is much better. Bonus points if you can't retreat early so every mission there is do or die and it can grant unique traits and abilities.

This is kind of what I'm hoping/expecting, too.

Also, the devs have talked about a feature where any team that survives one of the several Darkest Dungeon missions will refuse to go back there (but will still run regular missions.) If all of the Darkest Dungeon missions are level 6, this will be an infuriating wall for many players, and there'll be little use for veterans of the dungeon since you probably have nothing left to do anyhow. If there is a mission at each tier, players would get a heads up in advance that they need to be training up additional teams, and there's still plenty of content that characters who clear the aoprentice/veteran DD mission can do.

D.O.G.O.G.B.Y.N.
Dec 31, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Speaking of the Highwayman, Grave Robber, Jester & company - there's an alright combo you can do with the HM and GR; take Point Blank Shot (HM) and Shadow Fade (GR) so they'll cancel out each other, enabling the HM to do some serious damage while the GR stuns. There's an item you can give the HM - either a holster or a sack of gunpowder - that boosts ranged damage, which the PBS does; I was dealing ~32 damage with it equipped, my guy being level 3 I think.

Then, during a hag fight, I decided the cauldron was more important than the hag herself, and thus both my HM and GR bit it, leaving my Arbalest and Vestal slowly plinking away at the boss. I have no idea how I ended up winning that fight. RIP Highwayman and Graverobber and the Highwayman's nice item.

However, sadly, they have nothing on properly cranked-up Hellion. HM-GR make a stable B team, but the Hellion wrecks it way harder - just beat one of the Prophets with a level 4 party, my Hellion dishing out 40 damage crits while everybody else healed or buffed. Her defense can be slightly shoddy at times, but that's why you have an Occultist for healing and a Man-at-Arms for shielding. I think these three are pretty much the best classes at the moment, there's little they don't cover.

As for the Jester, he's okay. Kinda hard to fit with all the shuffling around. I guess you have to design your party around him - have your other members with both long-ranged and closed-quarters skills.

D.O.G.O.G.B.Y.N. fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 13, 2015

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I haven't played since before corpses, coves and heart attacks, but I had a pretty nice Vestal, Jester, Grave Robber, Highwayman party for a while that just absolutely wrecked with Crits, and by making use of all their movement abilities a surprise just never was an issue. I could get them back in place with attacking abilities.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
hey assholes good job releasing your stupid game the same day as xcom 2 so theres absolutely no fun turn based games for the months of december and january.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Artificer posted:

I recall he was on the receiving end of an ambush that his officers basically ordered him and his squad into, and since he was loyal and obedient he went ahead and did it.

And now he's all hosed up because of it.

I only recall "The raw strength of youth may be spent...". Which is an analogy for erection problems once you get older. That man's personal Vietnam happens at the brothel and not on the field of battle.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Normal Adult Human posted:

hey assholes good job releasing your stupid game the same day as xcom 2 so theres absolutely no fun turn based games for the months of december and january.

huh? i thought it was coming out on jan 19th

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

You know it's coming out on January 19th now rather than Feb 5th, right?

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Hotfix: Disable camping in first room

...why?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Noted non-January day January 19th

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Is this out on PS4 yet? They promised. I've been waiting.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Whoops wrong thread.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 14, 2015

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
What ever happened to Salt and Sanctuary? Where'd all the grimdark games go?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man I can't imagine building up to level 6, much less for 4 characters. I think the max I ever get to is 3 so far, I've only been doing the first 3 areas since the Cove just always fucks me up with every trick in the book. I've been playing since early access but still only beat maybe 6 of the big bosses? Part of this is probably due to me constantly building up low level guys so everyone on the 25-man roster can be souped up. I think I'm at week 50.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

What ever happened to Salt and Sanctuary? Where'd all the grimdark games go?

Its coming to PS4 soon, games take a long time to develop, and that probably belongs in some other thread.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Is this out on PS4 yet? They promised. I've been waiting.

Dude shut up, we've already told you the release date. Its not out yet. Whining won't make it come faster.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Zaphod42 posted:

Its coming to PS4 soon, games take a long time to develop, and that probably belongs in some other thread.

Dude shut up, we've already told you the release date. Its not out yet. Whining won't make it come faster.

You don't know that. :colbert:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

GloomMouse posted:

Hotfix: Disable camping in first room

...why?

They're trying to make camping stuff more strategic, but the problem is that using a camp for stress/heal means you're not doing your fights and poo poo very well. If you do those well, you don't really need it for that, and the buffs are strong and always on. I'm glad they're not nerfing camp buffs and trying other options, but doing 20% more dmg and critting more helps keep my stress lower and fights safer than trying to heal it up later.

What the change really means is I'll camp in room #2.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gabriel Pope posted:

Also, the devs have talked about a feature where any team that survives one of the several Darkest Dungeon missions will refuse to go back there (but will still run regular missions.)

I seem to recall that it's if you retreat from the DD but I might be getting things all mixed up.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

ZypherIM posted:

Yeah, this makes it a really, really stupid change

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Yea it is one of those things where I can see sort of what they want, but I think they're missing out on why people are doing it in the first place, so this change doesn't do poo poo.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

they should make it so before you even get into the dungeon you get a camping screen outside the entrance then get rid of the ability to remove the "until camp" debuffs with herbs.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kly posted:

they should make it so before you even get into the dungeon you get a camping screen outside the entrance then get rid of the ability to remove the "until camp" debuffs with herbs.

Are there any "until camp" debuffs other than the madman's stress debuff?

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

ZypherIM posted:

I already do this

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Gabriel Pope posted:

Are there any "until camp" debuffs other than the madman's stress debuff?

I don't know actually, I haven't played the new update yet but there used to be one that reduced damage or accuracy or something until camp and some one earlier mentioned more "until camp" debuffs.

GloomMouse posted:

I already do this

same, it always seemed like a waste to do it right away since it comes with a significant hp/stress heal so I'd do at least one fight / hallway before a camp but apparently some people have problems getting through that without a 20% damage/stress resist buff or whatever and take more damage/stress than the camp heals.

Kly fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 15, 2015

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kly posted:

same, it always seemed like a waste to do it right away since it comes with a significant hp/stress heal so I'd do at least one fight / hallway before a camp but apparently some people have problems getting through that without a 20% damage/stress resist buff or whatever and take more damage/stress than the camp heals.

I used to do a few fights to get that free healing, but on champion dungeons you need so much accuracy just to not whiff all the time (and the monsters dish out so much punishment if you can't reliably take them down fast) that I've been setting up camp ASAP.

As an added bonus, if you're not using the camp heal at all you can use 2 food instead of 8 and have a larger food stockpile for emergencies.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Gabriel Pope posted:

I used to do a few fights to get that free healing...

I could see a few fights not being worth it but I've never had a problem with one fight/hall before a camp. Good point about using less food though I never thought about that, I'm usually pretty much done a dungeon before I run out but that's definitely a big hit if you do have a couple more rooms to clear.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

It isn't really that you need the buffs to get through, but a buffed party will kill faster and thus be less exposed, so those fights are riskier. A bigger chance to have the dice fall against you. Also stuff like +exploring or +surprise are really nice. Using 2 food instead of 8 is nice so you know you've got 6 food to shore someone up a bit, which mostly translates into one or two turns for your healer to be doing a different combat action. Nothing huge, but nice.

Essentially the big key to any rogue-like/lite is managing randomness and risk. Camp buffs in general are strong, usually in either straight damage but often more in +acc, speed, scouting, or surprise stuff. Makes things more predictable, which makes the risk much lower or easier to judge. I pretty much try to avoid running short dungeons unless I'm trying to move someone from level 0->1 because of this.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'd rather see them introduce more potential reasons to delay camping, not necessarily more 'until you camp' debuffs but maybe things like camp skills that are stronger the more rooms you've cleared before you apply them, or increased loot drops before you camp or something. Things that make it a genuine decision with tradeoffs (the way torch use is now) rather than either a no-brainer or a "gently caress you, that strategy's too good so we're taking it away".

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Yea more reasons to delay camping. Even just scaling buffs/healing to a "ready to camp" bar or something that increases with area explored would be a better solution.

Also, in a long mission I start with enough poo poo in my inventory that I want some open slots for loot. If they added a firewood only extra slot that would relieve some of the "need to camp asap" pressure. Also, quests that have you collecting something are the literal worst, followed closely by the ones where you use an item on an object. Add an extra quest inventory slot for those, because unless some trinket that I really, really want shows up I never do them.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Same, except I'll do the Warrens one where you get the grain sacks if there isn't something more pressing. I just love the opening narration. "...steal their food!"

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

it literally made it come out a month faster.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

it literally made it come out a month faster.

Hasn't worked for That Which Sleeps :colbert:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
yeah that dudes busy writing bizarre cling wrap erotica now...

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Doctor Schnabel posted:

...what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Doctor Schnabel posted:

You cannot leave it at that.