Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

This is entirely anecdotal, but the leather on my 6s+ case feels much better than the 6+ case did. Jury is still out on exactly how it will wear, of course.

I'll second this. I had a black leather 6 case, and now have a saddle brown 6S case. Neither of them are exactly top of the line leather, but the 6S leather is clearly higher quality.

That said, I wouldn't recommend using a 6+ case on a 6S+. The fitment of the 6S case on a 6S is quite snug/tight, and that extra 0.2mm(?) of girth in the 6S+ might gently caress it all up for a 6+ case.

enojy fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Is there a reliable supplier for cheap MFI certified lightning cables? My wife has had a bunch of supposedly certified cables from cheap vendors just up and stop working apparently because of this certification not really being there and it's starting to get old.

I like Anker's braided cables, have been using one in bed for a while now and it's still holding up.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Not sure if this is an iPhone question or not but...

Every time I call my Dad, it goes straight to his voicemail. I have an iPhone 6S and he has a brand new iPhone 5 (don't ask, he had it in a box on the shelf for a while). Both are AT&T. He says he gets calls from other people, seems like it's just me. He can call me fine. I had him conform DND is not turned on, and he has no one in his blocked list. Both phones are on iOS 9.x.

What else could we try?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

dexter6 posted:

Not sure if this is an iPhone question or not but...

Every time I call my Dad, it goes straight to his voicemail. I have an iPhone 6S and he has a brand new iPhone 5 (don't ask, he had it in a box on the shelf for a while). Both are AT&T. He says he gets calls from other people, seems like it's just me. He can call me fine. I had him conform DND is not turned on, and he has no one in his blocked list. Both phones are on iOS 9.x.

What else could we try?

Sorry about that. My old man avoids calls from me too sometimes.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 10, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It's a new phone, but sitting in a box for a while. I bet it has something to do with his SIM card. I've seen weird things like that when upgrading phones that come with a SIM. When that new phone gets activated, it kills the old SIM but sometimes there's weird poo poo. Have him go to an ATT store and get a new SIM.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
maybe he's not your dad

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I'm his favorite child, so clearly it's the SIM card.

:(

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

dexter6 posted:

I'm his favorite child, so clearly it's the SIM card.

:(

I forgot to say this earlier, but if he still has the old phone/SIM, have him turn it on and see if your calls go to it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Pivo posted:

Yes it's on purpose. If something activates audio output, other audio output pauses. I don't know why various random apps require audio output, especially the Camera app, but it's an OS level function that is meant to make it easy for you to multitask. And it works quite well, you pull up a YouTube video and it wants to play audio so Spotify pauses, you finish watching the video and get right back to your song without having to do anything.

Sometimes it gets triggered at strange times though, and that's the application's fault...

Yeah, those 3rd party camera.app devs need to get to work.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
So apparently the ridiculous can't update apps bug requiring uninstalling and reinstalling via settings is back in 9.2. loving ugh, Apple.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Cozmosis posted:

So apparently the ridiculous can't update apps bug requiring uninstalling and reinstalling via settings is back in 9.2. loving ugh, Apple.

That bug never had the chance to come back, as in it has persisted on my 6+ through every version.

It is loving that Apple has managed to break general app installation on both of their major product lines in the last half a year.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Kaizoku posted:

That bug never had the chance to come back, as in it has persisted on my 6+ through every version.

It is loving that Apple has managed to break general app installation on both of their major product lines in the last half a year.

I know it's a joke or whatever, but Apple really is terrible at all things web for inexplicable reasons.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

maduin posted:

I know it's a joke or whatever, but Apple really is terrible at all things web for inexplicable reasons.

It's not even the cloud which is the classic Apple failboat. This is the goddamn App Store!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Ever since 9.2, I get promoted multiple times daily to update my password with iCloud. Probably 5-7 times a day. It then goes away for a bit, so I'm betting it's just a bug, but anyone else seeing this?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Got this once on each of my devices after upgrading, then all quiet since.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Anyone else with a 5S get served an ad to upgrade to the 6S when looking at the AppStore? Just happened. This a new thing? It's kind of annoying.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

decypher posted:

Anyone else with a 5S get served an ad to upgrade to the 6S when looking at the AppStore? Just happened. This a new thing? It's kind of annoying.

Yeah, I got that. Kind of want to know if I can trigger it again.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Just tested it out and yep.
I wonder whether it's only for iPhone 5S users?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

~Coxy posted:

5S owner, read about this elsewhere and checked. I saw this in the app store too. Gross.

I submitted a feedback thingy on apple.com/feedback.

Its not "Here's a free U2 album whether you like it or not" bad, but its still bad.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Apple has been pushing too hard towards marketing and brand instead of creating a quality product. It's been that way ever since Angela was brought on board and put in charge of retail. I was working at the Apple Store when she came on board and the changes over the year or so after she came on were pretty noticeable.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 12, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

iPhone 6S Plus is the best cell phone ever. iPad Air 2 blows away everything else. Their Mac OS products are amazing. What are you talking about.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's no way in hell that Ahrendts is less favourable to staff than Browett was. The guy came from a hated, mass market retail chain in the UK and had absolutely zero idea of how Apple works and ran the retail staff into the ground. Everyone I knew who worked there before, during, and after his tenure told me nothing but horror stories about the poo poo they had to do, and from a consumer POV the customer service nose dived. It's definitely better again now, not perfect but they're having to deal with so many people (the store in my town covers the entire country, so you have people driving for 4 hours to be told they need an appointment etc) that they can't please everyone.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

~Coxy posted:

I'm on an iPhone 6 and I'm not seeing this. I guess Apple are really pushing for the two-year lifecycle trend.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

An iPhone 6 having coworker of mine got one, so I assume these are targeted using customer metrics.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Ever since 9.2, I get promoted multiple times daily to update my password with iCloud. Probably 5-7 times a day. It then goes away for a bit, so I'm betting it's just a bug, but anyone else seeing this?

I had the same issue, and then I did a hard reset and it seems fine now. We'll see later if it comes back though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

kitten smoothie posted:

An iPhone 6 having coworker of mine got one, so I assume these are targeted using customer metrics.

Not sure how targeted they are; as I always get my iPhones through carrier contracts so if they really cared to track such things they would know that I am not due for renewal.

Maybe it's simply anything older than a 6S gets it at least once.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

~Coxy posted:

I always get my iPhones through carrier contracts

Why is this..? I thought those were antiquated now. Why not iPhone Upgrade Program?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

They're "antiquated" as of like 3 months ago.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

e.pilot posted:

Apple has been pushing too hard towards marketing and brand instead of creating a quality product. It's been that way ever since Angel was brought on board and put in charge of retail. I was working at the Apple Store when she came on board and the changes over the year or so after she came on were pretty noticeable.

Yeah I'm absolutely sure Angela's job extends to product development. No one else there has control over that.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

e.pilot posted:

Apple has been pushing too hard towards marketing and brand instead of creating a quality product. It's been that way ever since Angel was brought on board and put in charge of retail. I was working at the Apple Store when she came on board and the changes over the year or so after she came on were pretty noticeable.

Yes, only since Angel was brought on has Apple focused on marketing. What every happened to my little underground phone company?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Remember when you'd see a dude rocking an iPhone 5 on the subway and you'd remark "What is that?" and he'd tell you it was an iPhone 5 and it just came out last week and you had no idea? And then you'd go to Radio Shack and ask about the iPhone 5 and they'd be like "iPhone? Never heard of it. But we got the new HTC One!" and you'd have to go downtown to your local independent phone dealer who only got like 3 in stock?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Duckman2008 posted:

For some reason iTunes on my Windows desktop has been doing this to me lately. After I open it I get asked for the password god knows how many times with maybe 30 seconds or a couple minutes in-between. It drives me loving batty. My Macbook doesn't do it, neither do my phone or iPad.

Unrelated, I had to google how to loving redeem an iTunes code on a phone yesterday. Oh yeah, of course, go to the featured page on the app store and scroll to the bottom and look for a redeem link. I mean, DUH.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there any way to buy iCloud storage as a gift ? I'm giving my gf my old 16gb 5s (she's on a 4s :( ) and I want her to be able to store photos on iCloud photo library.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

decypher posted:

Looks like it's just a thing for the holidays:

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/12/11/apple-pushing-iphone-upgrades-trade-ins/

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is there any way to buy iCloud storage as a gift ? I'm giving my gf my old 16gb 5s (she's on a 4s :( ) and I want her to be able to store photos on iCloud photo library.
You can pay for iTunes Match with a iTunes gift card balance, so I assume you can do the same with iCloud storage.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I don't think you can directly give iCloud storage, but it will take the payment from your iTunes balance if you have one, so maybe just give her a $25 gift card? That'll be good enough for two years of the lowest-priced level, which should be plenty. (For what it's worth, I have an iPhone and iPad both backing up to that along with a whole bunch of photos I took on my camera and still have 7 GB of space.)

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Trying out the 3 month Apple Music trial, and while it's okay, I've got SiriusXM in the car so streaming music when driving isn't a priority. Is ITunes Match a decent enough thing? I hate dragging music onto my phone from Windows iTunes so being able to drag it from the cloud whenever sounds like a better choice.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

iTunes Match is basically integrated already with Apple Music. I don't think subscribing to both has any benefit.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

ddogflex posted:

Unrelated, I had to google how to loving redeem an iTunes code on a phone yesterday. Oh yeah, of course, go to the featured page on the app store and scroll to the bottom and look for a redeem link. I mean, DUH.

If you have a 6S/6S Plus you can just 3D press the App Store icon on the springboard and "Redeem" is in the menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

quote:

iTunes Match is basically integrated already with Apple Music. I don't think subscribing to both has any benefit.

iTunes Match gives you DRM free tracks and will upload songs from your library if they're not in the music store, Apple Music doesn't do that. They're not really integrated at all.