Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

tzirean posted:

Just got 2K16 and have been playing it pretty consistently. I skipped 2K15, so I'm not sure how much of this is new, but first impressions:

* Figured I'd just throw myself into Universe Mode instead, but I'm currently out of downloads. Doesn't help that I figured "counter will reset" meant "counter will reset," not "counter will only go up by one."

Overall, I'm enjoying it, and I feel like it was worth $30 to upgrade from 2K14. But it feels quite a bit slower than 2K14 did, both in matches and otherwise.

I'm pretty sure that IS what it means? Like, I downloaded 20 things, waited a day and downloaded 20 more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Genericide posted:

I spend ages retiring the active wrestlers I will never use and adding in some olden days ones who are more fun. I set up my feuds, and then every single Raw has all of those matches on. If I book Daniel Bryan vs. Brock Lesnar, they end up in a singles match pretty much once a week. I'm not that interested in playing it over and over so I sim them, but that feels like I'm missing the point. I end up simming forward to a fun PPV, usually the insanely dull MITB match, then get bored and sim forward again.

This has been my problem with Universe mode since the beginning. It's a fantastic concept, one I've wanted in the game for ages. Basically just provide a loose framework with some cutscenes and stuff to provide people who play the game single player some context to matches.

It all falls apart because it books the same matches over and over. No one plays single player Exhibition matches that way, it's not fun.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I liked it when Exhibition matches would affect people's standing in Universe and setup feuds. I'd let my buddies come over and play for a few hours. Fire it up the next day and laugh at the computer trying to figure out how to get the title back on Cena from an unstoppable Viscera.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

tzirean posted:

Just got 2K16 and have been playing it pretty consistently. I skipped 2K15, so I'm not sure how much of this is new, but first impressions:

* The matches are indeed slower. Not good or bad, just takes getting used to.
* ...but part of getting used to it is getting frustrated in Career mode when I waste reversals because my timing is off. I typically have fewer reversals than my opponent anyway, and that puts me in a big hole.
* Career mode is slow. SP costs are high, some things that shouldn't need to be bought are behind the fake money wall (top-rope moves? really?) and the cool things about it are kind of overshadowed.
* Figured I'd just throw myself into Universe Mode instead, but I'm currently out of downloads. Doesn't help that I figured "counter will reset" meant "counter will reset," not "counter will only go up by one."
* I'm still poo poo at making CAW appearances.

Overall, I'm enjoying it, and I feel like it was worth $30 to upgrade from 2K14. But it feels quite a bit slower than 2K14 did, both in matches and otherwise.

NXT basically forces you to get fairly decent at the game before you can progress to the main roster. You're almost always going to have to beat Balor (88 rating) or Owens (91) for the title to be able to graduate to the main roster and your guy is probably going to be like low to mid 70s in overall rank at that time. It's especially difficult to make any headway if you're not winning consistently, which can be really hard at that level (I jobbed to R-Truth on Superstars).

Once you can start playing on Smackdown and Raw, you get wayyyyy more SP from wins.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Genericide posted:

How do you guys play Universe Mode?

Mon - WWE
Tue - WWF (classic and Attitude people)
Wed - NXT
Thu - Indie/international wrestling (IWGP Title as the main, the ROH title as the secondary and GWF tag titles)
Fri - WCW
Sat - Chikara

I've got a show every day and a PPV every sunday. I just skim through until I find matches I like enough to play or matches I hate enough to edit into something better. I thought I would really get a kick out of MyCareer, but I just found myself very bored with it. Universe mode is full of bugs and weirdness, but it's hard to complain when Cesaro is into his 37th week as Chikara Grand Champion.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Perry Normal posted:

Mon - WWE
Tue - WWF (classic and Attitude people)
Wed - NXT
Thu - Indie/international wrestling (IWGP Title as the main, the ROH title as the secondary and GWF tag titles)
Fri - WCW
Sat - Chikara

I've got a show every day and a PPV every sunday. I just skim through until I find matches I like enough to play or matches I hate enough to edit into something better. I thought I would really get a kick out of MyCareer, but I just found myself very bored with it. Universe mode is full of bugs and weirdness, but it's hard to complain when Cesaro is into his 37th week as Chikara Grand Champion.

Hmmm I've never tried running Universe mode that way, maybe I should give that a try this year

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I'm pretty sure that IS what it means? Like, I downloaded 20 things, waited a day and downloaded 20 more?

Each download slot has its own 24-hour timer. I didn't download 20 things at once. So I used a bunch of downloads near the end of the timer, expecting them all to come back at once, and then the timer expired, gave me one slot back and reset to ~45 minutes.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

flashy_mcflash posted:

I have one wacky brand (I call it TNA and use a TNA arena) with all the old guys I don't want to use and jobbers like Zack Ryder and guys like that, rather than retiring them. The ROH/NJPW brand I have seems to put together some decent matches on its own and I'll occasionally play a full PPV from it since I only have wrestlers on that brand that I like playing.

also, haha, Rovert just won the IWGP IC title from Liger on that brand.

Maybe it's a good thing Charlotte isn't in the game after all.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

Maybe it's a good thing Charlotte isn't in the game after all.

I *really* wanted to give him her moveset too. If you're on PS4 you can download him, he's tagged rovert.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

I *really* wanted to give him her moveset too. If you're on PS4 you can download him, he's tagged rovert.

His finisher's the Natural Selection, at least, yeah?

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
I play Universe with sending about ten to twelve of the lowest OVR wrestlers to NXT to join the already established NXT Roster. I keep one iteration of a wrestler who has multiples (Kane '01, Jericho '97, classic Sting, etc) based on OVR or possible stable/team combinations. Downloaded some Diva CAWs and split them between NXT and main roster.

Raw on Monday, NXT Wednesday (6 matches), SD on Thursday (7 matches). I only watch the rivalry matches and title bouts at PPVs, and sim the rest. I have NXT "specials" scheduled every two months. I'm also keeping track of records, and every month based on record, I'll randomly add a point or two to an attribute, just for shits and giggles.

I'm on my second iteration of this, though. The first time I had a full brand split and everything, but come MITB the AI only booked Raw wrestlers in the MITB match, and it kind of broke when I switched a few people out for SD guys and never logged the winner as having MITB. (The PPV was branded for both Raw and SD.) So now I have everyone on either the main roster or NXT, and at year's end those who did well in NXT graduate to main roster, those who did poorly get sent back to NXT, and so on.

Right now Kevin Owens is World Heavyweight Champion, and Roman Reigns is in a SD feud with Andre the Giant.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

His finisher's the Natural Selection, at least, yeah?

I don't think that was in there before, or I didn't know what it was called. I should go back and update him now that the New Moves are in there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't think that was in there before, or I didn't know what it was called. I should go back and update him now that the New Moves are in there.

It's been in since 2k15, actually. They added it in the move pack for that one, which was dumb because you couldn't make women in the XBone/PS4 version.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i haven't made my universe yet but I'm just gonna do roh and new japan brands. the below list covers just about everybody necessary for complete rosters leaving two spots for my own CAWs

code:
CAW			NXT
Alberto Del Rio		Alexa Bliss
Becky Lynch		Apollo Crews
Braun Strowman		Asuka
Bubba Ray Dudley	Bayley
Charlotte		Biff Busick
D-Von Dudley		Bull Dempsey
Sasha Banks		Carmella
			Chad Gable
Legends			Dana Brooke
Hulk Hogan		James Storm
Road Dogg		Jason Jordan
			Johnny Gargano
NJPW			La Sombra
AJ Styles		Mojo Rawley
Alex Shelley		Nia Jax
Bad Luck Fale		Rhyno
Beretta			Rich Swann
BUSHI			Tommaso Ciampa
Doc Gallows		Tye Dillinger
EVIL
Gedo			ROH
Hirooki Goto		ACH
Hiroshi Tanahashi	Adam Cole
Hiroyoshi Tenzan	Adam Page
Jado			Beer City Bruiser
Jushin Liger		BJ Whitmer
Karl Anderson		Bobby Fish
Katsuyori Shibata	Cedric Alexander
Kazuchika Okada		Chris Sabin
Kazushi Sakuraba	Christopher Daniels
Kenny Omega		Dalton Castle
Kota Ibushi		Davey Boy Smith Jr.
KUSHIDA			Donovan Dijak
Minoru Suzuki		Frankie Kazarian
Ricochet		Hanson
Rocky Romero		Jay Briscoe
Ryusuke Taguchi		Jay Lethal
Satoshi Kojima		Kenny King
Shinsuke Nakamura	Kyle O'Reilly
Tama Tonga		Lance Archer
Tetsuya Naito		Mandy Leon
Togi Makabe		Maria Kanellis
Tomoaki Honma		Mark Briscoe
Tomohiro Ishii		Matt Jackson
Toru Yano		Matt Sydal
Yoshi-Hashi		Matt Taven
Yuji Nagata		Michael Bennett
Yujiro Takahashi	Michael Elgin
			Moose
			Nick Jackson
			Raymond Rowe
			Roderick Strong
			Scarlett Bordeaux
			Silas Young
			Veda Scott
it really should keep W-L stats itself but oh well. I'm def too lazy to track them and change ratings accordingly but that's a good idea

also I cheated a lil so as to include suzuki-gun

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Does Taker have a rolleyes taunt and if so did you give it to Nagata?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So I'm dicking around with Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain in PCSX2. It runs fantastically, if anyone's wondering, no complaints whatsoever.

How, exactly, do reversals work, though? Do I just button-mash, or do I have to time it right, or what? Also, is playing Season Mode with a fresh CAW supposed to be grueling and horrible?

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

So I'm dicking around with Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain in PCSX2. It runs fantastically, if anyone's wondering, no complaints whatsoever.

How, exactly, do reversals work, though? Do I just button-mash, or do I have to time it right, or what? Also, is playing Season Mode with a fresh CAW supposed to be grueling and horrible?

Button-mash, I think. And playing as a fresh CAW is tough. Winning is going to take some time.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Reversal are timed and I'm pretty sure HCTP still uses the old two button system where you have to push a different button for strikes and grapples.
yup
R2: Reverse Grapple Attacks
L2: Reverse Striking Attacks

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/589727-wwe-smackdown-here-comes-the-pain/faqs/28112

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xerzes posted:

Button-mash, I think. And playing as a fresh CAW is tough. Winning is going to take some time.

When you get a CAW to 100 in HCTP (or whatever number you think is appropriate), always copy that CAW when making a new CAW. Do not repeatedly make new CAWs unless you want to be leveling CAWs for 3,000 game hours.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Also, is playing Season Mode with a fresh CAW supposed to be grueling and horrible?

Pro-tip: For regular matches, grab a table from under the ring (I think it's the side by the announce table or facing the walkway).

Set up the table in the corner.

Wait for your opponent to get close to you and the run yourself into the table. For a second, you will put yourself against the table as if your opponent had done it, and if you time it right, your opponent will accidentally grapple you and put you through the table, getting a DQ. I usually only have to try it two or three times before the computer fucks up and takes the bait.

Take a generic CAW and do this for a few hours without ever spending the character points you get. Now, you can just copy and paste him into new CAW slots. He will carry over his unspent points and you can build the CAW with any style/build/point level you want.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

For those with PS4 2k16, does it just not recognize external keyboards? I'm using a USB wireless keyboard and I can type into PS4 menu screens, but in-game, nothing happens. Makes it annoying as hell to try to set up Universe the way I want to.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

That's impressive, in TEW2013 the winner of the 2016 wrestler of year died five months into that year and never worked a PPV in that time.

EDIT: He broke his arm during the first week of May and died two weeks later. He was also ranked number 1 in the world which, once more, super impressive when you only lived for four and a half months of that year.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Testekill posted:

That's impressive, in TEW2013 the winner of the 2016 wrestler of year died five months into that year and never worked a PPV in that time.

EDIT: He broke his arm during the first week of May and died two weeks later. He was also ranked number 1 in the world which, once more, super impressive when you only lived for four and a half months of that year.

rip daniel bryan

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

What's with the 2 gig update on 2k16

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

What's with the 2 gig update on 2k16

a massive patch for a handful of things and prepping for the Legends DLC pack with Dusty and Piper.

too many to list, here's a link http://forums.2k.com/showthread.php?3891746-WWE-2K16-Patch-1-03-on-PS4-XB1-is-live!-Official-patch-notes-here&p=13700266#post13700266

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Does the Season Pass or any DLC ever go on sale for these newer WWK 2K games? Last WWE game I owned was WWE13, and I picked up the $20 all DLC back for $10 thanks to Playstation Plus.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

epitasis posted:

i haven't made my universe yet but I'm just gonna do roh and new japan brands. the below list covers just about everybody necessary for complete rosters leaving two spots for my own CAWs

code:
CAW			NXT
Alberto Del Rio		Alexa Bliss
Becky Lynch		Apollo Crews
Braun Strowman		Asuka
Bubba Ray Dudley	Bayley
Charlotte		Biff Busick
D-Von Dudley		Bull Dempsey
Sasha Banks		Carmella
			Chad Gable
Legends			Dana Brooke
Hulk Hogan		James Storm
Road Dogg		Jason Jordan
			Johnny Gargano
NJPW			La Sombra
AJ Styles		Mojo Rawley
Alex Shelley		Nia Jax
Bad Luck Fale		Rhyno
Beretta			Rich Swann
BUSHI			Tommaso Ciampa
Doc Gallows		Tye Dillinger
EVIL
Gedo			ROH
Hirooki Goto		ACH
Hiroshi Tanahashi	Adam Cole
Hiroyoshi Tenzan	Adam Page
Jado			Beer City Bruiser
Jushin Liger		BJ Whitmer
Karl Anderson		Bobby Fish
Katsuyori Shibata	Cedric Alexander
Kazuchika Okada		Chris Sabin
Kazushi Sakuraba	Christopher Daniels
Kenny Omega		Dalton Castle
Kota Ibushi		Davey Boy Smith Jr.
KUSHIDA			Donovan Dijak
Minoru Suzuki		Frankie Kazarian
Ricochet		Hanson
Rocky Romero		Jay Briscoe
Ryusuke Taguchi		Jay Lethal
Satoshi Kojima		Kenny King
Shinsuke Nakamura	Kyle O'Reilly
Tama Tonga		Lance Archer
Tetsuya Naito		Mandy Leon
Togi Makabe		Maria Kanellis
Tomoaki Honma		Mark Briscoe
Tomohiro Ishii		Matt Jackson
Toru Yano		Matt Sydal
Yoshi-Hashi		Matt Taven
Yuji Nagata		Michael Bennett
Yujiro Takahashi	Michael Elgin
			Moose
			Nick Jackson
			Raymond Rowe
			Roderick Strong
			Scarlett Bordeaux
			Silas Young
			Veda Scott

it really should keep W-L stats itself but oh well. I'm def too lazy to track them and change ratings accordingly but that's a good idea

also I cheated a lil so as to include suzuki-gun

Youre gonna have to open a roster spot for Konnan and stable 'em with R-Truth if you want Legendary Road Dogg

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Astro7x posted:

Does the Season Pass or any DLC ever go on sale for these newer WWK 2K games? Last WWE game I owned was WWE13, and I picked up the $20 all DLC back for $10 thanks to Playstation Plus.
DLC rarely gets discounted. There was a 25-30% off deal on Amazon during Black Friday and I got Witcher / Fallout 4 season passes for pretty good prices, but apparently those sorts of deals happen very rarely.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
There's a whole bunch of notes for the new patch, but this stuck out to me obviously:

- Stamina now regenerates during submission attempts. Balance improvements have also been made to the submission system in general.

Haven't tested it yet but more balance sounds nice.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Testekill posted:

It's probably a small sample size thing. I'm not sure if there's a minimum of matches somebody has to work but I think the main, if not only thing it takes into account is the average match numbers.
The wrestler in question undoubtedly wrestled a handful of great matches without any chaff to even the numbers out.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I simulated ten years into the future from like a 1998 dataset in TEW just to see wtf the game would spit out and a midget was the undisputed best wrestler in the world

ed: not daniel bryan but like medically a midget

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

ChrisBTY posted:

It's probably a small sample size thing. I'm not sure if there's a minimum of matches somebody has to work but I think the main, if not only thing it takes into account is the average match numbers.
The wrestler in question undoubtedly wrestled a handful of great matches without any chaff to even the numbers out.

Yeah pretty much, dude had an average rating of 88 from about 24-25 matches.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Fat Lowtax posted:

I simulated ten years into the future from like a 1998 dataset in TEW just to see wtf the game would spit out and a midget was the undisputed best wrestler in the world

ed: not daniel bryan but like medically a midget

El Torito is very good

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
GUYS GUYS, I'm finally not fighting Wade Barrett on Smackdown! Look, just look at the card!

kill me

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

KungFu Grip posted:

a massive patch for a handful of things and prepping for the Legends DLC pack with Dusty and Piper.

too many to list, here's a link http://forums.2k.com/showthread.php?3891746-WWE-2K16-Patch-1-03-on-PS4-XB1-is-live!-Official-patch-notes-here&p=13700266#post13700266

Steels steps tossed into the ring near the end of an Iron Man match will no longer unnaturally fall from the air during victory scenes

Bullshit. Im trading this game in now.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
So 2k16 submissions are WAY easier after the patch. The movement of the red bar seems much more fluid now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Basic Chunnel posted:

DLC rarely gets discounted. There was a 25-30% off deal on Amazon during Black Friday and I got Witcher / Fallout 4 season passes for pretty good prices, but apparently those sorts of deals happen very rarely.

Maybe on consoles...

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

They were PS4 discounts

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

So 2k16 submissions are WAY easier after the patch. The movement of the red bar seems much more fluid now.

Yes awesome. I stopped playing after I lost to a camel clutch 3 seconds into the match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
In 2k16 MyCareer, how do I keep my tag team relationship from deteriorating? I'm partners with Seth Rollins, and am winning matches while fulfilling authority orders. Do I need to interfere in his matches and such? If so, am I kinda hosed if I'm only appearing on Smackdown and Superstars, shows that he only rarely appears on?