Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

cheese posted:

What is ranked?

lol

cheese posted:

do I want to play it?

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

cheese posted:

What is ranked and do I want to play it?

Ranked is the mode you play if you hate yourself and feel like waiting 10 minutes between each battle, populated by the same sort of pubbies as in random battle.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Dalael posted:

Ranked is the mode you play if you hate yourself and feel like waiting 10 minutes between each battle, populated by the same sort of pubbies as in random battle.

Only they're always the kind of pubbies who blame everyone else for losing and costing them their chance at 'free stuff.'

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

cheese posted:

What is ranked and do I want to play it?
Ranked is a 7v7 game mode, with limited tiers. You start off at Rank 18. Every time you win, you gain a "Star", and every time you lose (or draw), you lose a star. If you reach full stars in a rank, you are promoted to the next rank, and immediately gain 1 star in that rank. If you lose a star when you have no stars in a Rank, you are demoted to the previous Rank, and start with 1 star away from promotion. From Ranks 18-11, you only need 2 stars to advance to the next rank. From Rank 10 to 1, you need 4 stars to advance. Once you hit Rank 1, you're done with Ranked for the rest of the season! Every 2 ranks, you get a reward, usually in the form of new signal flags and occasionally free camos. There's also special exterior flags that are unlocked as you move up in the ranks. If you hit Rank 14, you will permanently unlock the "Kure" flag once the season is over, and if you make it to Rank 1, you permanently unlock the Pirate flag. Ranks 18-11 are Tier 5-6 ships, Ranks 10-2 are T7-8.

There cannot be more than 1 CV per team in Ranked, in Ranked attempts to limit BBs to 2 per team, but due to the heavy glut of BBs in ranked, that doesn't always end up being the case. There are 4 Matchmaking groups, one for 18-15, 14-11, 10-6, and 5-2. Every time you make it to a new division, you unlock a new division flag, One star for 14, 2 stars for 10, and 3 stars for 5. These flags are not permanent, however. Ranks 18-15 are "irrevocable", meaning that even if you lose a star with no stars left at these Ranks, you will not be demoted. Rank 10 is also irrevocable, so once you hit the T7-8 matchmaking, you cannot be demoted out of it.

At Ranks 18-11, CAs and BBs are the most popular ships. Arguably the best ships for these battles are the New Mexico, Cleveland, Fuso, and Minekaze.
At Ranks 10-2, BBs and DDs are the most popular ships. The best ships are the North Carolina, Tirpitz, Amagi, Mogami, Benson, and Kiev. You are far more likely to see very good players at Rank 5 and below, along with players with very well-trained captains and fully upgraded ships with all premium modules.

Always run detonation flags, always run camo, always run premium smoke and premium repair, etc. You're not in Ranked to make money, you're in it to earn a fuckton of flags and get the rewards.

As for wanting to play... well, its up to you. Pubbies can really be hit or miss, but if you like earning cool things and want smaller fights at those tiers, go for it. You'll have to deal with a lot of tryhard, furious pubbies who get stuck at various Ranks and cannot ascend, though.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 12, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Hazdoc posted:

Ranked is a 7v7 game mode, with limited tiers. You start off at Rank 18. Every time you win, you gain a "Star", and every time you lose (or draw), you lose a star. If you reach full stars in a rank, you are promoted to the next rank, and immediately gain 1 star in that rank. If you lose a star when you have no stars in a Rank, you are demoted to the previous Rank, and start with 1 star away from promotion. From Ranks 18-11, you only need 2 stars to advance to the next rank. From Rank 10 to 1, you need 4 stars to advance. Once you hit Rank 1, you're done with Ranked for the rest of the season! Every 2 ranks, you get a reward, usually in the form of new signal flags and occasionally free camos. There's also special exterior flags that are unlocked as you move up in the ranks. If you hit Rank 14, you will permanently unlock the "Kure" flag once the season is over, and if you make it to Rank 1, you permanently unlock the Pirate flag. Ranks 18-11 are Tier 5-6 ships, Ranks 10-2 are T7-8.

There cannot be more than 1 CV per team in Ranked, in Ranked attempts to limit BBs to 2 per team, but due to the heavy glut of BBs in ranked, that doesn't always end up being the case. There are 4 Matchmaking groups, one for 18-15, 14-11, 10-6, and 5-2. Every time you make it to a new division, you unlock a new division flag, One star for 14, 2 stars for 10, and 3 stars for 5. These flags are not permanent, however. Ranks 18-15 are "irrevocable", meaning that even if you lose a star with no stars left at these Ranks, you will not be demoted. Rank 10 is also irrevocable, so once you hit the T7-8 matchmaking, you cannot be demoted out of it.

At Ranks 18-11, CAs and BBs are the most popular ships. Arguably the best ships for these battles are the New Mexico, Cleveland, Fuso, and Minekaze.
At Ranks 10-2, BBs and DDs are the most popular ships. The best ships are the North Carolina, Tirpitz, Amagi, Mogami, Benson, and Kiev. You are far more likely to see very good players at Rank 5 and below, along with players with very well-trained captains and fully upgraded ships with all premium modules.

Always run detonation flags, always run camo, always run premium smoke and premium repair, etc. You're not in Ranked to make money, you're in it to earn a fuckton of flags and get the rewards.

As for wanting to play... well, its up to you. Pubbies can really be hit or miss, but if you like earning cool things and want smaller fights at those tiers, go for it. You'll have to deal with a lot of tryhard, furious pubbies who get stuck at various Ranks and cannot ascend, though.

Do the king and pirate flags do anything?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

counterfeitsaint posted:

Do the king and pirate flags do anything?

Its "Kure", the military base where Yamato was built. And no, neither flag has any effect. They're just cosmetic flags, but permanent ones. For dick waving, mostly.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Hazdoc posted:

Its "Kure", the military base where Yamato was built. And no, neither flag has any effect. They're just cosmetic flags, but permanent ones. For dick waving, mostly.

And who doesn't love a sword fight?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dalael posted:

And who doesn't love a sword fight?

You're a really bad poster, you know?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

You're a really bad poster, you know?

I know I am. But then again, there's irony in someone bad posting about bad posters making bad posts.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Dalael posted:

I know I am. But then again, there's irony in someone bad posting about bad posters making bad posts.

stop posting

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Is there any way to change your displayed account name? I want to change to a different dated reference every week like in TF2.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

blowfish posted:

Is there any way to change your displayed account name? I want to change to a different dated reference every week like in TF2.

Name changes cost gold, unfortunately. Also, you can only name change once every 2 weeks.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Thanks for the rundown, I think I will avoid it entirely so as to resist the urge to try to grind them out. Has it had an impact on player totals and games? I know when last I played a while back, it was getting hard to find a full tier 9+ game.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

cheese posted:

Thanks for the rundown, I think I will avoid it entirely so as to resist the urge to try to grind them out. Has it had an impact on player totals and games? I know when last I played a while back, it was getting hard to find a full tier 9+ game.

After Hazdoc's post, I gave it another go and managed to make my way to rank 11 fairly easily. And I'm a pretty average to mediocre player. Its actually a good way to gather signals which are helpful in battle. I think there's also some credit rewards. The first few ranks may be worth your trouble.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Just play anything below 10 in an Aoba and anything above 10 in an Atago to make fat stacks of cash :v:

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
After a long struggle (with not shooting my teammates) I finally managed to attain Rank 10. Only 11 days left in the season, so I don't think I'll make it to Rank 1. I'll still give it a go since the worst that happens is I stay at Rank 10 until the end. I would like to give thanks to the devs for the Mutsuki's 10km torpedo range and a couple of really stupid Cleveland drivers who ran right into my torps on that last game. It looked pretty hairy, with 2 cruisers (Cleveland and Omaha) and a Fuso left on the other team and a heavily damaged New Mexico and me on the other. I fired off a spread of torps at the enemy Cleveland at like 9.9 km and headed towards the New Mexico in hopes of hitting the Fuso enough to distract him. Fortunately the New Mexico gets a couple Citadel hits and takes the Fuso out in short order. I turn around just in time to see a torp impact on the Cleveland and put us up. New Mexico wrecks the Omaha in a single salvo to win.

There were a couple matches like that today that made me glad I actually logged in. I'm now just 13,500 xp from unlocking the New Orleans, and I'm sitting on 33k free xp, but I'd need something like 63k to completely unlock all the upgrades. I can probably get that this weekend if I exert myself a little bit. Not sure, however, that it would be worth it to unlock the New Orleans for Ranked battles.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I've had the Mutsuki unlocked for months, but never bought it because the Minekaze was so drat good. In light of the possible buff to higher tier torpedoes, and the discount I finally broke down and bought it. First game I killed a Mutsuki, a Benson, and a Colorado with devastating strikes all on my first three spreads. Combined with a confederate signal and the 1980's New Jersey Devils camouflage I was able to upgrade almost everything after that one round.

Bought the Amagi too, but my first game in it was fairly pedestrian but hey a win is sometimes very frustrating to get so i'll take it.

My current first world problem is that the Nagato and Minekaze are on sale so I cant sell them right now and get full value, eating up a couple port slots while they sit empty. I considered keeping the Nagato for ranked, but I can just use the Amagi (or Kiev!) if I get to 10.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
Hey thailors! I just starting playing this horrible game the other day, and finally managed to get babby's first simultaneous first blood and devastating strike in my Wyoming. So far, this is way more fun than hide-and-go-snipe tanks.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

comaerror posted:

Hey thailors! I just starting playing this horrible game the other day, and finally managed to get babby's first simultaneous first blood and devastating strike in my Wyoming. So far, this is way more fun than hide-and-go-snipe tanks.

Get the St. Louis and the T2 Japanese DD. Both are exceptionally fun while off premium, and if you stay at or around T3, you don't see carriers all that much.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I did get one really amazing first strike in a Myogi, 5 shells went wide and splashed all around a turning Omaha, the 6th connected amidships and penetrated, citadeled, and then he exploded from the one shell hit. I think that's the only time I've ever killed anything in a Myogi.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

I did get one really amazing first strike in a Myogi, 5 shells went wide and splashed all around a turning Omaha, the 6th connected amidships and penetrated, citadeled, and then he exploded from the one shell hit. I think that's the only time I've ever killed anything in a Myogi.

I just wrecked poo poo in a Myogi. Smashed two cruisers with fire right into their critadel, polished off another with secondary fire, and rammed an enemy Myogi at three quarters health while I was under 2K and on fire to grab my High Caliber medal.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cobbsprite posted:

I just wrecked poo poo in a Myogi. Smashed two cruisers with fire right into their critadel, polished off another with secondary fire, and rammed an enemy Myogi at three quarters health while I was under 2K and on fire to grab my High Caliber medal.

Your team still lost though, right?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Your team still lost though, right?

So you saw, then.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Myogi is fine*, just realize the long range is a trap and get closer.

*The Myogi is in no way fine.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

You know what, the thing i posted here is too buggy really to use, i've used it 3-4 times and it's only worked twice.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 13, 2015

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

I bought the imperator nikolai, because god knows i cant get enough russian trainers for my destroyer captain, i'm curious though if the daily 1.5x applies to the ships captain too? or do captains have their own daily bonus or none at all?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Fizzil posted:

I bought the imperator nikolai, because god knows i cant get enough russian trainers for my destroyer captain, i'm curious though if the daily 1.5x applies to the ships captain too? or do captains have their own daily bonus or none at all?

Only the ships carry the bonus.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Hoo boy, its like people forgot what destroyers do again. Having a lot of BBs and IJN DDs decide they want to brawl at close range with actual combat DDs. Fun times.

Also, double XP owns.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Fizzil posted:

The bonus is per-ship, and it applies to captain training. So if you want your Russian DD captain to get more xp, get the daily in his DD and then swap him into your Imperator for another daily.

If he's retraining, he'll get access to all his skills (no penalty) while in a premium ship. This is great for DD captains because Situational Awareness is off while retraining.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

El Disco posted:

The bonus is per-ship, and it applies to captain training. So if you want your Russian DD captain to get more xp, get the daily in his DD and then swap him into your Imperator for another daily.

If he's retraining, he'll get access to all his skills (no penalty) while in a premium ship. This is great for DD captains because Situational Awareness is off while retraining.

Just be aware that the captain that you initially place into the premium ship is not trained for any other ship. Having a captain specifically for a premium isn't the greatest option, since any other captain of the same country can use that ship at full efficiency, but if the ship has a radically different commander skill scheme than the other boats you have for that country (for instance, the Nikolai and Tirpitz are BBs from countries with no BBs yet), then you can have a commander for the ship and retrain them into their tree once their normal ship line opens up.

Also bear in mind that low tier premiums, while still ok for retraining, won't make as much XP as a higher tiered premium. If you have the choice between, say, the Yubari and the Atago for IJN CA retraining, the Atago will earn more XP due to its higher tier, getting you retrained faster.

Edit: Oh, and more win screen bragging because I can

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Considering the amount of people that post in here vs. amount of people on TS, wish there was more goonboats organization ingame or out-of-game

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pacra posted:

Considering the amount of people that post in here vs. amount of people on TS, wish there was more goonboats organization ingame or out-of-game

ThIs, the TS is dead a lot

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
This event camo is pretty nice:

TheDarkAvenger
Mar 10, 2005

All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?
So I just got torpedoed in spawn in my tier 7 Hiryu. Cost me 72k in repairs, got compensated 21k from TKer. Who the gently caress makes s game where you get punished for being TK'd?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

TheDarkAvenger posted:

So I just got torpedoed in spawn in my tier 7 Hiryu. Cost me 72k in repairs, got compensated 21k from TKer. Who the gently caress makes s game where you get punished for being TK'd?

well, uh, there's this little company called 'wargaming.' they don't really like the people who play their games

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

TheDarkAvenger posted:

Who the gently caress makes s game where you get punished for being TK'd?

People who want you to drop real money on an F2P game.

I got deliberately TK'd from full health in an Izyaslav the other day and the compensation barely covered the repair bill.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Sperglord Actual posted:

People who want you to drop real money on an F2P game.

I got deliberately TK'd from full health in an Izyaslav the other day and the compensation barely covered the repair bill.

What's dumb is they fine the team killer a lot of credits, and then still leave the victim footing the bill.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I'm pretty sure the compensation comes out of what the TKer made that round. So if they suck rear end, you don't get much compensation. Yes this system is stupid.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Only two games in but so far so good in the Amagi. Why a Pensacola would want to get within 10km of me and then sail in a straight line ill never know. 3 citadel salvo. Then a Mogami tried the same thing. I mean at least he has torpedoes, so I had to maneuver a bit. 10k exp game.

Im sure eventually the lack of armor will lead to some ugly games, but man those 16" guns are real winners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Night10194 posted:

The Myogi is fine*, just realize the long range is a trap and get closer.

*The Myogi is in no way fine.

I remember being tricked cause my first game I got lucky and hit someone with like 3 citadels in 1 salvo on the Myogi and was like "this is a good ship".

50 matches later

KILL ME NOW