Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

kimbo305 posted:

What would be far more interesting that Ring times for different cars would be Ring times for different journos in a spec car, or Top Gear lap times.

That would be interesting, you'd finally see that the vast majority of car journos (like most journos who review anything) are just chancers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

88h88 posted:

That would be interesting, you'd finally see that the vast majority of car journos (like most journos who review anything) are just chancers.

On Hooniverse or The Smoking Tire's podcasts it's not uncommon to hear them complaining about the driving of other supposed automotive journalists at press events.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

If they wanted that, they should have asked for that. They requested a car for one job, got one that would be ok for that, used it to do something else then complained it wasn't very good at it. Doing that to a big manufacturer is the cost of doing business for them, but it's not something they should do to the little guys.

I watched that it it was pretty obvious that it was a stitch-up and I was actually pretty disappointed about that.

Compare and contrast to the Noble M600 whose transmission poo poo itself during a long trip and they still got a glowing review - despite the entire car having to be swapped out midway

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Usually most test cars need a full teardown / rebuild or just simply get crushed once jounalists have finished with them. I'm surprised BMW sold the test car to a unsuspecting buyer, that's a bit of a dick move.

They get sold, they don't get crushed.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm surprised BMW sold the test car to a unsuspecting buyer, that's a bit of a dick move.

Could be that BMW sold it with full disclosure at a discount to rear end in a top hat dealer, who then jacked up the price and sold it on to unsuspecting buyer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ola posted:

Could be that BMW sold it with full disclosure at a discount to rear end in a top hat dealer, who then jacked up the price and sold it on to unsuspecting buyer.

I think this is exactly that. He keeps saying the "garage" he bought it from had never sold a car with carbon ceramic brakes and they had to call BMW in Germany. So this clearly was not a BMW dealership. I'm guessing the owner of the shop saw it up for auction cheap and thought it would be cool to have. Then some guy offers a decent price and they sell it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

drgitlin posted:

They get sold, they don't get crushed.

Ummmm, actually quite a number of them most certainly do get crushed. Quite often a press hack is a pre-production car and is not certified for public sale. Thence once they are done, they get crushed, quite normal if it's imported - press hacks are often also used as certification vehicles. Those are never sold to the public.

The other place test cars end up is crash labs and being hurled into walls.

quote:

Ha, not likely. It'll be like what my WRX was - an "Executive" car, ie one supposeably used by management for a few thousand kms then sold as a lightly used "new" car after refurbishment. The dealers arent told dick where the car came from. But as my experience with a press car shows, you wont always get a clapped out POS and also that press cars are.... shall we say massaged to perform better over regular production cars.

The difference between me and the BMW buyer I suspect is that when they said "Executive" car, I immediately presumed press hack and wasnt disappointed when I saw the same car in a motoring magazine. BMW buyer probably was told it was a lease return or didnt click with he dealer's terminology.

quote:

On Hooniverse or The Smoking Tire's podcasts it's not uncommon to hear them complaining about the driving of other supposed automotive journalists at press events.

Ooooooh lordy, I got a couple of stories about journalists from my instruction days. And it's the full time motoring ones that were the worst /scariest. A couple of them were pretty bloody good - but honestly, the ones that had tickets on themselves were seriously scary and often the most brutal on cars. On the other hand... I cant recall the name of one particular gentleman but he was such an amazing exception to how journalists usually behave - he would treat the cars like his own, wash them and return them with a full tank, never put a mark on them. And while other journos would be blackbanned regularly for destroying press cars, he basically could call any company and get any model he requested almost immediatly.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Foxtrot_13 posted:

No mention this would of been a review car given out to lots of magazines and newspapers as well. It might well of been the very car loaned to the Daily Fail themselves for Chris Evans to review
That reminds me of the time that Chris Harris recommended a family member buy an S4 Avant and they ended up buying this actual car. He then bought it from that person and since then it has had some transmission issues.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Doug Demuro just put this out: http://jalopnik.com/what-happens-to-press-cars-when-the-press-is-done-with-1747509578
With not much to back his claim up, he says most cars get sold to retail customers.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Though in England & Wales a dealer can't just say tough poo poo if the 」35k car they just sold you is hosed, it still comes under the consumer protection laws so the dealer/garage that sold it can't just wash there hands of it.

quote:

When you buy a second-hand car from a dealer, you have the right, under both the Consumer Rights Act (which replaces the Sale of Goods Act from 01 October 2015), to expect the car to:

be of satisfactory quality (taking into account its age and mileage)
meet any description given to you when you were buying it ( whether in the advert or in discussions prior to sale)
be fit for the purpose (for example, to get you from A to B safely)

If the second-hand car does not meet these requirements, you have the right to claim against the dealer for breach of contract.

If something you buy is not 'as described', or if the seller is guilty of misrepresentation, you're entitled to:

give the second-hand car back and get your money back
if you want to keep the car, ask for compensation (usually the cost of any repairs it needs)

Now it may be a grey area that the dealer/garage should of told you it was a press car that got beaten like a 14 year olds meat but I don't think they would take the risk of it going to court as I don't think the Judge would be very sympathetic. Unsympathetic Judges tend to award costs and that gets very expensive.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

kimbo305 posted:

Doug Demuro just put this out: http://jalopnik.com/what-happens-to-press-cars-when-the-press-is-done-with-1747509578
With not much to back his claim up, he says most cars get sold to retail customers.

I'd be willing to bet with nothing to go on that most press cars that end up in the public's hands probably get sold to be crushed, guy who owns the junkyard takes a look at it and thinks to himself "That actually doesn't look too bad, there's money to be made here", vehicle goes to auction.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So yeah, apparently Chris Harris and Sabine Schmitz.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/12066136/Who-will-be-Top-Gear-co-presenters-alongside-Chris-Evans.html

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Cool!

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Virtually unknown hah. Not been in top gear so nobody knows him

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I hope May does a fake German accent for the first episode of gear knobs.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Interesting to see if Chris Harris gets over that reported ban on Lambos now.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
"This week Sabine will be looking back at the classic Impreza P1, Chris Harris will be discussing McLaren's replacement for their P1, David will try to fit in a Peel P50, and in an attempt to boost ratings, Chris Evans has been given a P45."

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jusupov posted:

Virtually unknown hah. Not been in top gear so nobody knows him
Heh (as a US viewer) out of everyone mentioned I know about Chris Evans the least.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Sabine I can understand, but why hire a Denver Broncos cornerback for a British car show?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Sabine I can understand, but why hire a Denver Broncos cornerback for a British car show?

Not like he's going be be busy in February.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Hell yeah Sabine :allears:

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
well that is quite a nice surprise

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

drat, now I guess I have to watch both shows.

Will be interesting to see how the chemistry goes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I hope it ends up with the two Limeys being so cowed by Sabine that they have to ask permission to do anything. Mostly because the tabloid press would throw the greatest loving fit ever.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Wasabi the J posted:

Interesting to see if Chris Harris gets over that reported ban on Lambos now.

Did he ban himself from them or did they ban him. I'm sure someone will get over it.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
I dont see this as top gear 2.0 I see it as another car show to look forward to.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Chris Harris and Sabine are both awesome. This might actually work now.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Chris Harris is great in his own youtube videos but the scripted smacktalk from his appearances on Fifth Gear last series, and his appearances on /Drive (the show on NBC Sports Network) made me less interested in seeing him on something like Top Gear unless he can just do his Chris Harris on Cars thing there.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Feels so anticlimactic with no TG christmas special this year. That and the stupidly warm weather we've been having.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Never heard of this Chris Evans guy, they should replace them with Rich Evans instead.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

mobby_6kl posted:

Never heard of this Chris Evans guy, they should replace them with Rich Evans instead.

OH MY GOOOOOD

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Before I did some Googling I wondered why Captain America would be up for hosting a pokey little motoring show on BBC 2.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Chris Knight posted:

Feels so anticlimactic with no TG christmas special this year. That and the stupidly warm weather we've been having.

I heard from somewhere that there was going to be one this year, which was going to comprise of the footage shot from before everything that happened.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Ghostpilot posted:

I heard from somewhere that there was going to be one this year, which was going to comprise of the footage shot from before everything that happened.

That's what the last episode that aired was.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
In an attempt to boost viewership for the new Top Gear, every episode will contain exactly one previously cut-out segment starring the original trio placed randomly during the episode. There will be no consideration on the actual age of the segment.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Peter Griffin voiceover: "Hey, remember the time the old hosts did (a thing)?"

*whip pan to old footage*

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm imagining Sabine in a DICK THE BIRTHDAY BOY t-shirt and it's making me giggle.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So, Top Gear France is poo poo, correct?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJVHZ1m4_R8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Jonny Nox posted:

So, Top Gear France is poo poo, correct?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJVHZ1m4_R8

I liked that.

Then again, I also like France, so.