Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Why is it when I try to remove seemingly simple mod (OBIS - organizer bandits in skyrim) in mod organizer it makes all textures invisible? Re-adding the mod fixes everything...

Vvv- is that directed to me? I can't understand half this thread.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
How do you make a conflict resolution patch like that?

:ohgod: I'm going to add more steps to my How to Mod Skyrim in a Billion Easy Steps, aren't I?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Ynglaur posted:

How do you make a conflict resolution patch like that?

:ohgod: I'm going to add more steps to my How to Mod Skyrim in a Billion Easy Steps, aren't I?

TES5Edit, lots of time and/or patience.

Here is the filter I use (load up all your mods and go Apply Filter => with these settings

Then once it is done, you can copy conflicting records as override into a new ESP, and then compare/drag & drop records to fix conflicts.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
You could also mess around with this a bit maybe: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/3rycr2/mator_smash_standalone_alpha_the_conflict/

I used to use the TES5Edit script and it was sometimes good and sometimes finicky. Not sure how well the stand-alone app works just yet.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

GunnerJ posted:

You could also mess around with this a bit maybe: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/3rycr2/mator_smash_standalone_alpha_the_conflict/

I used to use the TES5Edit script and it was sometimes good and sometimes finicky. Not sure how well the stand-alone app works just yet.

I found that I had to spend a ton of time in TES5Edit to look at what records I wanted to merge with Mator Smash standalone and I ended up spending more time tweaking it to do what I wanted rather than making a patch.

I think one day it will be a very good tool, though. Mator is a genius.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I'm just glad he's working on it again because the potential it has phenomenal.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah I've followed that a bit and right now it's all over my head but I'm looking forward to the point when it's more idiot-friendly.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

GunnerJ posted:

I'm just glad he's working on it again because the potential it has phenomenal.

Indeed. I miss having a powerful tool like Wrye Bash for Oblivion to tie all the mods together.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

so is the TES5Edit merged patch meant to serve the same purpose as bashed patches in Wrye Bash? because i'd love to not need that ancient thing anymore

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
I've been using Mator Smash Standalone a lot and while it can't do everything, it can definitely recreate a lot of the common compatibility patches 1:1. It mostly just needs a community effort to make presets for it, and some actual documentation.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Cardboard Box posted:

so is the TES5Edit merged patch meant to serve the same purpose as bashed patches in Wrye Bash? because i'd love to not need that ancient thing anymore

Nope. Merged patches, at least how I've used them, are to resolve some really simple non-conflicting overrides and serve as a starting point for making your own general compatibility patch manually. Although they will do some merging to the leveled lists.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

iA

Cardboard Box posted:

As far as I know you still need both a bashed and merged.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
This'll hopefully turn out to be a total noob question with an easy solution, so here goes: I've always used the Brawl Bugs Patch and have never had a problem with brawls. But after installing SPERG (which is awesome :toot:) brawls are completely broken; I get a bounty for punching the other guy and he draws a weapon halfway through. Or if I stand there and do nothing the brawl ends after about three seconds. Five minutes of googling says it's a common problem that the Brawl Bugs Patch is supposed to fix, but apparently I broke the patch. Tinkering with load order makes no difference.

Any simple solution to this I'm being a dum-dum and failing to see?

e: No it's not ebony mail or anything stupid like that, I'm still early in a new game.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 12, 2015

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

This'll hopefully turn out to be a total noob question with an easy solution, so here goes: I've always used the Brawl Bugs Patch and have never had a problem with brawls. But after installing SPERG (which is awesome :toot:) brawls are completely broken; I get a bounty for punching the other guy and he draws a weapon halfway through. Or if I stand there and do nothing the brawl ends after about three seconds. Five minutes of googling says it's a common problem that the Brawl Bugs Patch is supposed to fix, but apparently I broke the patch. Tinkering with load order makes no difference.

Any simple solution to this I'm being a dum-dum and failing to see?

e: No it's not ebony mail or anything stupid like that, I'm still early in a new game.

SPERG has it's own brawl bug integrated in the MCM. Make sure it is enabled for brawls.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I have probably a couple dozen mods and I've never bothered with Wyre Bash or Bashed patches and really have no idea what that stuff even is or what problem it's supposed to solve. Is it meant to be a way to solve conflicts between mods that overwrite the same files, or what?

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Entropic posted:

I have probably a couple dozen mods and I've never bothered with Wyre Bash or Bashed patches and really have no idea what that stuff even is or what problem it's supposed to solve. Is it meant to be a way to solve conflicts between mods that overwrite the same files, or what?

I used it once on a big mod list install, and have since added like 5-6 more mods and not used it. Really if you use Mod Organizer and LOOT that's mostly sufficient. It's when crazy one off poo poo happens that Wrye Bash and TES5Edit come in handy.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Entropic posted:

Bashed patches are mostly for leveled lists, for if you have a weapon and an armor mod at the same time that add to level lists. Skyrim normally only uses the level list addition that's lowest in your load order, unless your mods do something horrible like add stuff by script. It's pretty simple to use though, just install Wire Bash and launch it through your mod manager.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Entropic posted:

There's basically three things that people do at the end of adding mods, AFAIK:

1. Conflict resolution, generally with TESVEdit: when 2 mods change the same object, such as one mod changing a lights location and another its brightness, the game can only use one of those entries, the last one made. So you'll only get the effect of one mod, not both. You can use TESVEdit to combine the different mod edits into a single, final version.

2. Merging mods: really only done to reduce the number of .esps in your load order. Not really essential in most cases.

3. Combining leveled lists, with Wyre Bash: Leveled lists, like items that will spawn on bandits as you roam the world, need to be updated and combined as you add mods that change them. Without this, a lot of mods like Immersive Armors or OBIS or whatever will not work together properly.

Without doing 1 and 3 in some form, there is a pretty good chance your mods aren't working as well as you hoped. This depends on the mods you use though. Small mods and texture mods generally don't conflict with stuff, big mods and most object mods are a lot more questionable.

You really, really should have a basic understanding of TESVEdit conflict checking if you want to do any Skyrim modding, because it's honestly pretty easy to understand what you're looking at with a bit of practice.

(Those are the big three I think, although some people might have other uses. I'm not really sure what Mator smash or whatever does, but I assume it can automate some of this?)

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 13, 2015

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
bashed patches are also great for mods that change a lot of basic game settings, like torch radius, arrow range/auto-aim thressholds etc. Not good for replacing any larger overhauls, but if you have a bunch of little mods that only make like a single basic change or two, you can deactive the associated ESPs to save a tad on load order. Not a big deal, but... well, hitting that 255 data file limit isn't actually all that difficult, surprisingly.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

Right now I'm using the Dawn series in the cities and JK's for towns, but was thinking about next time around trying Dawn + JK's Lite together. Plus I'm using one that edits some interiors in Whiterun because it makes Warmaiden's and the Drunken Huntsman look pretty awesome inside. My suspicion was that it was not going to cooperate very well with those but wasn't sure.

JK's does horrifying things to your framerate into cities because he dumps like ten million plants and gewgaws everywhere. I've got a 4GB graphics card that can run the vanilla game on max settings and it turns into shudder city in Solitude with JK's turned on with the same settings.

I'd recommend Expanded Towns and Cities instead of JK's. It does stuff like add buildings and merchants and farms and stuff instead of futzing so much with tons of individual objects, and you can get compatibility patches for ETaC and Dawn.

Open Cities with both is pretty great, too, as long as you also add the mods that make people run away from vampire/dragon attacks.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Roadie posted:

JK's does horrifying things to your framerate into cities because he dumps like ten million plants and gewgaws everywhere. I've got a 4GB graphics card that can run the vanilla game on max settings and it turns into shudder city in Solitude with JK's turned on with the same settings.

I'd recommend Expanded Towns and Cities instead of JK's. It does stuff like add buildings and merchants and farms and stuff instead of futzing so much with tons of individual objects, and you can get compatibility patches for ETaC and Dawn.

Open Cities with both is pretty great, too, as long as you also add the mods that make people run away from vampire/dragon attacks.

I've used EtaC a lot, tbh had more crashing with it than I've had with JKs. I eventually gave up trying to use the full package and had to go to the modular version because I couldn't use it in Falkreath or Morthal at all. It was very pretty and I liked a lot of the stuff it added but ultimately felt like it added too much and stopped using it. I also got tired of having to deal with so many compatibility patches.

I think JKs is too heavy on the decor in the cities as well which is why I went back to the Dawn series for the major cities, but was interested in adding in one or other of the Lite/Superlite versions some guy made because they strip out a lot of the stuff that makes them so performance-impacting.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So wait, I just run wrye bash through mod organizer, close it and activate the bashed thing that was made? Is that all I need to do?

I'm running a few mods that made a few changes to the loot things. Maybe I should do this.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I also like Wrye Bash because it lets you choose from a common checklist for a lot of little tweaks like carry weight or pickpocketing chance and add those to the bashed patch.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Kiggles posted:

SPERG has it's own brawl bug integrated in the MCM. Make sure it is enabled for brawls.

So does SPERG make the Brawl Bug Patch mod unnecessary and redundant?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Install the brawl bugs patch cheat patch, which I've linked to before and I think is in the OP now. It just makes brawls "anything goes." It's the simplest and most comprehensive solution, unless you want to spend hours figuring out just which of your 200 mods is breaking brawls.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Install the brawl bugs patch cheat patch, which I've linked to before and I think is in the OP now. It just makes brawls "anything goes." It's the simplest and most comprehensive solution, unless you want to spend hours figuring out just which of your 200 mods is breaking brawls.

It's not in the OP and I can't find it on the nexus either. You still have that link?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's not in the OP and I can't find it on the nexus either. You still have that link?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3anYxV0nct3eVM3ZWRDWnhnaVE/view

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Kiggles posted:

Tried that, makes no difference.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Mazz posted:

I'm not really sure what Mator smash or whatever does, but I assume it can automate some of this?
Mator Smash lets you set profiles for each esp to declare which of its records are actually important. The idea is that compatibility patches will work like LOOT: If it's a popular mod someone else will have made a profile stating what its important changes are, and if it's less popular you'll have to make it yourself. Right now, you'll be making all the profiles yourself.

For example True Storms changes the weather records but the only changes that are important are the few subrecords that pertain to lightning and sounds. In its Smash profile you set those records to be important, and you can make your weather mod compatible with True Storms with one click.

It's particularly effective with mods that change items or NPCs in bulk because making a manual compatibility patch is tedious in that case. With proper profiles, it can generate a perfect replica of most compatibility patches that won't have to be manually updated when the mod is but can just be automatically generated.

Of course the kind of compatibility patches it can replace are also the ones that are easiest to manually make.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Tried that, makes no difference.
How are you installing mods? Mod Organizer?

If so, make sure the SPERG data package is loaded later (left panel). This will guarantee that anything messing with the brawl scripts won't undo anything SPERG is doing.

Similarly, make sure the other brawl bug patch isn't still enabled, as it may be why you are having problems.

Also, check your gear. Modded enchantments may be applying some sort of unique effect that other Brawl Bugs aren't compensating for.

If you're using some other mod manager (or none at all), you're sort of on your own. In those cases it basically amounts to uninstalling the mod you want to take priorities, and then reinstalling it so you can guarantee the relevant files haven't been overwritten, and this is further complicated if the files you're looking for are both loose and in a BSA archive, since loose files take priority, which means completely uninstalling anything that has conflicting loose files, so the SPERG scripts packed in the BSA aren't going to conflict. I believe this isn't an issue with mod organizer, or at least, I have never had an instance where loose files were causing my problems with BSAs.

e: check the link posted immediately before your last post. That should be a 'brawl patch' that basically enables you to use ANYTHING during brawls, leaving you on the honor system, which is just as well, because once you've seen one brawl, you've seen them all. Everything I just posted should still be relevant to make sure it is even working, however.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Thanks, Kiggles. And I did use the cheat patch to move on with my life. Still curious as to what broke and why, though.

Kiggles posted:

How are you installing mods? Mod Organizer?

Yeah.

Kiggles posted:

If so, make sure the SPERG data package is loaded later (left panel). This will guarantee that anything messing with the brawl scripts won't undo anything SPERG is doing.
Tried this. Didn't matter.

quote:

Similarly, make sure the other brawl bug patch isn't still enabled, as it may be why you are having problems.
Did this too.

quote:

Also, check your gear. Modded enchantments may be applying some sort of unique effect that other Brawl Bugs aren't compensating for.
I don't use any modded enchantments so that's not an issue. I actually use very few mods by Skyrim standards (44 in all). I did try stripping naked before brawling just to be sure, but it didn't change anything.

So, I still dunno what the hell. But the cheat patch does work and it's not really a big deal, it's not like anyone's missing out on the amazing Skyrim brawling experience here.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Since you're curious, magic effects are usually the culprit. Example: things like summoned creatures work as a magic effect on your character. Even if the creature doesn't directly interfere the fact there is a 'buff' on the player could be tripping the brawl script. Naturally, the SPERG component should cover all of its own magic effects that you do not have any control over, so things like the spirit animal perk or whatever shouldn't be a problem, in theory.

Some people have reported iNeed can break brawls because of how it tinkers with player stamina regen by applying a magic effect. Basically, anything that can have almost any sort of effect on the player by applying a magic effect (listed on the magic tab) has potential to break brawls. Of course, some of these are invisible and can also cause problems so good luck figuring out what is specifically the problem. Usually it is a mod that applies a cloak effect to the player in order to propagate 'something' to NPCs. Wet&Cold uses a cloak effect to apply the shader effects appropriately, or get them to use cloaks, etc based on the weather. Usually the typical brawl patch (or SPERG's own patch) covers those things, but I guess there is still chance for odd interaction, like having a unique NPC getting their status updated in the middle of the brawl. Who knows.

It's all really stupid. There's basically no reason to not use a 'cheat' patch. Either play them on the honor system, or don't, and the result is the same; you can move on to something more interesting. It might be a different story if brawls were setup by default to allow for the player to actually cheat, but given how temperamental brawls can be with mods it's still probably more trouble than it would be worth to try and enforce the rules when we're talking about playing a character that is 'cheating' in-game. Just.... use the honor system, or roll some dice irl. Everyone would save scum anyway.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Whelp, just watched several tutorial videos about making bashed patches and reproccers and what they do, and it turns out that doing this is really critical in making all your mods work together. Christ, modding this game is no joke.

ALSO, I've found out how to reliably fix the derendering texture issue that I keep having almost every time I load my game! Press shift+enter to bring up the ENB settings thing (if you're running ENB) and click the APPLY SETTINGS, even if you changed nothing. That texture you saw disappearing at weird angles is now back to normal, and from what I can tell, for the rest of your game session.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 13, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Whelp, just watched several tutorial videos about making bashed patches and reproccers and what they do, and it turns out that doing this is really critical in making all your mods work together. Christ, modding this game is no joke.

The title of this thread is in no way, shape, or form a joke.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Mazz posted:

The title of this thread is in no way, shape, or form a joke.

10 hours is actually very accurate :negative: TIME TO PLAY

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Skyrim Modding: Just Spent 10 Hours Modding, Time to Play Mod Some More.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
cumulatively, 10 is nowhere near enough.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Any playing of Skyrim you may do is merely an extended test of your mod setup before you really start playing.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

There are two or three games called Skyrim. There's the modding game, there's the "why the gently caress is it crashing WHY YOU FUCKER WHY" game, and then there's the game where you're a dragon princess or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

docbeard posted:

There are two or three games called Skyrim. There's the modding game, there's the "why the gently caress is it crashing WHY YOU FUCKER WHY" game, and then there's the game where you're a dragon princess or something.

Theres also the fourth game where you decide you can probably do "insert thing" better then the available mod choices and 200 hours later you were mostly successful but JESUS CHRIST WHY DID I TRY THIS.

• Locked thread