Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmSCCCSyfK4

Took this video when I was working in Denver. It was my first GoPro video but I think it turned out alright with minimal editing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004
Just flew a 15:15 hour leg for a new personal record.

I feel like I just took a month off of my life.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Stupid Post Maker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmSCCCSyfK4

Took this video when I was working in Denver. It was my first GoPro video but I think it turned out alright with minimal editing

Where did you get the field approval for that camera mount?

video was cool, foo fighters - excellent choice

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Remember the US A320 that had the nosegear collapse at PHL a while back?

quote:

An A320 Check Airman told NTSB staff that he had never seen anyone take off without Vspeeds, it was not trained, and if there were no V-speeds he would expect a crew to reject the
takeoff, and then taxi off the runway. The USAirways Airbus Fleet Director told NTSB staff that the airline’s expectations for a pilot confronted with no V-speeds would mean that they did
not finish their checklist, and they should not have taken an active runway. The USAirways FAA Aircrew Program Manager told NTSB staff that he had never seen a situation on the line or
in the simulator where a pilot initiated a takeoff roll with no visible V-speeds on the PFD, and the lack of visible V-speeds on the PFD during the initial takeoff roll would be consistent with
their reject criteria, and would probably be a reason not to begin the takeoff roll in the first place since the V-speeds were supposed to be confirmed prior to takeoff. The USAirways Managing
Director of Flight Technical Operations told NTSB staff he never experienced a situation where he did not have V-speeds on takeoff, and “I wouldn’t dream of taking off without V-speeds.

TL;DR: They forgot to program V Speeds into the computer and, apparently, the computers told them to abort the takeoff during the entire takeoff roll before everything went sideways. :downsbravo:

http://dms.ntsb.gov/pubdms/search/hitlist.cfm?docketID=57967&CurrentPage=2&EndRow=24&StartRow=16&order=1&sort=0&TXTSEARCHT=

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 10, 2015

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

CBJSprague24 posted:

Remember the US A320 that had the nosegear collapse at PHL a while back?

TL;DR: They forgot to program V Speeds into the computer and, apparently, the computers told them to abort the takeoff during the entire takeoff roll before everything went sideways. :downsbravo:

http://dms.ntsb.gov/pubdms/search/hitlist.cfm?docketID=57967&CurrentPage=2&EndRow=24&StartRow=16&order=1&sort=0&TXTSEARCHT=

That's nearly as bad as forgetting to close the door.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

SCOTLAND posted:

India?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Someone get Sully into congress, clearly this 1500 hour trying isn't cutting it.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

SCOTLAND posted:

My record for time in the seat is 10:40 Budapest to Chicago. Are you including time in the bunk or as movie critic?

Long overnight flights kill me. There's something about seeing the sun set and rise in he same flight that makes the human body rebel against consciousness.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Here's a transcript of the CVR during takeoff, courtesy Airliners.net:

quote:

retard
retard
“What did you do? you didn’t load. we lost everything.”
retard
retard
retard
“No”
retard
retard
retard
“We’ll get that straight when we get airborne.”
retard
retard
“Wh*. I’m sorry.”
retard
retard
retard

Within the next fraction of a second, the CVR captured the ‘sound of decreased background noise, similar to power reduction’ and then the ‘sound of first impact’.

I find humorous the multiple meanings of "retard" here; the aviation definition begging the pilots to pull the throttles back, which could also be the voice in the cockpit describing the pilots.

Also:

hobbesmaster posted:

Someone get Sully into congress, clearly this 1500 hour trying isn't cutting it.

One week ago, from everybody's favorite US Airways A320 captain:

quote:

Captain C.B. Sully Sullenberger
December 3 at 10:52pm ·

The Regional Airline Association should stop trying to roll back the crucial requirement that newly hired airline pilots have at least 1500 hours of flight time. Their passengers deserve to have TWO fully qualified pilots in the cockpit of every airliner, whether it is a regional airplane or a large jet.

:ironicat:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 11, 2015

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

ausgezeichnet posted:

My record for time in the seat is 10:40 Budapest to Chicago. Are you including time in the bunk or as movie critic?

Long overnight flights kill me. There's something about seeing the sun set and rise in he same flight that makes the human body rebel against consciousness.

I drove from Denver to Philadelphia in one shot a few years ago. Driving into a sunrise twice in one drive fucks your mind.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
7.1 in a 172 without landing is my record. For a full day I think 12.4

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

ausgezeichnet posted:

I've flown Trans-Atlantic five times as a passenger (the last in 2004) and it didn't fully hit me until last year that your 7-10AM arrival in Europe means it's still roughly 2-5AM at home and, if you stay up the whole flight (I never could sleep on planes), you've pulled an all-nighter and no wonder you feel like hell.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
That US airways accident.. two things are entirely inexplicable: Why wouldn't you low speed abort, just take the drat time to get it right and that's what the airplane is telling you to do, and it's the correct call if you're below 80 knots, which they were... well below since it started immediately after they advanced the power levers and the plane was going "wait wait I'm not ready for this loving takeoff".
Second off, if you were over 80 kts and in the high speed regime.... part of our brief is that we'd continue and take it airborne, despite all the automation it's still an airplane, they already had briefed the V speeds for the other runway, give it a couple extra knots and let it unstick when it feels ready like every other takeoff you've ever done. And in fact I don't think it was flexing since it had no t/o data, so, should be... a pretty normal takeoff. Can't imagine why you'd abort for that at a high speed. Continue the drat takeoff, and file an ASAP. Gahhh.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I think the Airbus itself summed it up nicely in the voice recorder.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ugh, my knees hurt just reading that.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Bloody hell that's brutal in a 172. How did you get that kind of endurance?

My record is 9.7 with 22 landings and 2 stops for fuel. It was one of 4 flights where I went to every airport in Colorado.

So many airports it took two lines in my logbook lol.

e:
as soon as I hear back from my CFI I should be starting CFII training next week. :toot:

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 11, 2015

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

e.pilot posted:

My record is 9.7 with 22 landings and 2 stops for fuel. It was one of 4 flights where I went to every airport in Colorado.

e:
as soon as I hear back from my CFI I should be starting CFII training next week. :toot:

Man, now I wish I'd have been that creative when I was time-building and when XC time didn't matter after Instrument. I could've touched at least three states easily. The "wildest" I was involved the Tour of Dayton (MGY->DAY/SGH->DAY/SGH->MGY).

My record in one go in a 172 was (I think) 3.8, with about a 20 minute stop at the second airport. Vertical development was worse than I was expecting on the last segment, so I had to spend about 25 miles at 10,500 (Westbound) to make sure I maintained VFR before I was able to get back down.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

hobbesmaster posted:

Ugh, my knees hurt just reading that.

Ya know, even as a 6'4 "goon sized" individual the 172 wasn't too bad. 7.1 hours in any cockpit is going to suck no matter how comfy it is though.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'm at the other end of the spectrum. I'm 5'5" on a good day and need the cushion and seat full forward on the rails to be comfortable in the 172. If that cushion was gone, I got to use my mini flight bag as a cushion. My jacket/coat and a bag of snacks aren't as comfy as a flotation device.

The 152, on the other hand, fit me just right. :3:

e- On that topic, gently caress Diamond. The DA-40 was fun to fly (canopy on a hot day aside), but is not designed for the vertically challenged.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 12, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm at the other end of the spectrum. I'm 5'5" on a good day and need the cushion and seat full forward on the rails to be comfortable in the 172. If that cushion was gone, I got to use my mini flight bag as a cushion. My jacket/coat and a bag of snacks aren't as comfy as a flotation device.

The 152, on the other hand, fit me just right. :3:

e- On that topic, gently caress Diamond. The DA-40 was fun to fly (canopy on a hot day aside), but is not designed for the vertically challenged.

Sweet gently caress me christ yes with the da-20. That was always my least favorite part of flying

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

azflyboy posted:

My first year pay was about $25K before taxes, which was one of the highest first year wages in the regional industry. This year, I'll make about $33k (plus another $3k or so in bonuses and per diem), but I'll never make more than $40k here until I upgrade to captain. Captains here start out making around $50k/yr, with the pay eventually topping out around $100k for them.

It's kind of frightening and horrifying to me that for sitting in front of a computer and documenting code defects (i.e. finding developer mistakes and making them fix em) that I get paid far more than a airline Captain starting out will be making. I mean c'mon, that's just ridiculous.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
You can trade some good/bad things around and consider corporate aviation or 135 charter instead of airlines.

I make more than what most captains start at and I only work about 3-4 days a week, usually 5-6 hours a day when I do, aside from today because I went across the entire country. I usually go to cool places, have all my meals paid for and stay in actually nice hotels. I'm also on an airplane that is very fun to fly.

Downside is zero job security and next to no schedule. I have tomorrow off because the airplanes down for routine maintenance but usually you can't count on time off enough to plan something fun. If I stick around this jet and upgrade It'll be about a +75% raise, but when the economy takes a poop I'll be the first to go. Just hope your company pays for enough upgrades before you move on.

I may go airlines, especially if I ever have a family. Probably not though.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

e.pilot posted:

e:

I was doing survey work at 10,000ft so I'll keep the power at the bottom of the green arc and lean it out pretty well. Switched tanks every 45 minutes so when one ran dry I knew it was time to head back

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

I was doing survey work at 10,000ft so I'll keep the power at the bottom of the green arc and lean it out pretty well. Switched tanks every 45 minutes so when one ran dry I knew it was time to head back

Survey work, eh? You're one of those shady Cessnas they have circling urban areas perhaps?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Happened to grab a pretty cool cellphone pic at FL450 the other day.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

Sewer Adventure posted:

Survey work, eh? You're one of those shady Cessnas they have circling urban areas perhaps?

Right now I'm one of the shady Aztecs circling urban areas

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

The Locator posted:

It's kind of frightening and horrifying to me that for sitting in front of a computer and documenting code defects (i.e. finding developer mistakes and making them fix em) that I get paid far more than a airline Captain starting out will be making. I mean c'mon, that's just ridiculous.

Yeah, but according to the flyer I just got in the mail from Trans States if you interview with them you get a $50 amazon gift card! Totally worth decades of crippling student loan debt.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rolo posted:

Happened to grab a pretty cool cellphone pic at FL450 the other day.

If you're at or above FL450 and the controller won't give you direct wherever the hell you want to go, tell them I said they're a lazy gently caress.

That picture is awesome.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
They usually do. I'll have some long clearance in the box, get climbing through into the 40s and then it's just kinda "eh screw it just go to the first point on the arrival."

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Sewer Adventure posted:

Hey, I did that! But you're probably talking about the FBI Cessna 206's.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

KodiakRS posted:

Yeah, but according to the flyer I just got in the mail from Trans States if you interview with them you get a $50 amazon gift card! Totally worth decades of crippling student loan debt.

If I got two of those, does that means I can get $100 after the interview? :rolleye:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Butt Reactor posted:

If I got two of those, does that means I can get $100 after the interview? :rolleye:

Same here.

I wonder if TSA didn't spam those out to everyone with an ATP and everyone with a CFI, since they might have realized that a lot of ATP holders probably have better (or less terrible) jobs already.

Oddly, I seem to be working for the only regional that isn't bribing applicants somehow (we have no signing or retention bonuses), despite the fact that it makes zero sense for anyone to apply here until our contract fight with Alaska gets resolved.

I guess that people must really love the lousy weather, terrible traffic, and stupidly expensive housing in SEA and PDX or something...

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I had an interview for a regional airline at like 200 hours that wanted me to sign a 2 year contract that took effect when I got my ATP.

He looked surprised when I was just like "no?"

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I got a flyer in the mail from Trans-States offering me a $50 amazon gift certificate if I would come in for an interview. That has to be a new low.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Go to the interview and answer any and all questions with an appropriate line from Top Gun. Never take off your aviator sunglasses. Or leather jacket. Insist they call you Mav.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

They will still offer him the job as long as he meets can hold a license, medical, and has the time.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I told them my greatest weakness is that I get erections in awkward situations.

After 5 seconds I knocked on the bottom of the table.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Animal posted:

They will still offer him the job as long as he meets can hold a license, medical, and has the time.

Don't forget the ability to fog a mirror

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So, I looked up this airline.

3 separate instances of going off the runway at CYOW. You'd figure after the first two, they'd have some kind of company wide notice about "hey, be really loving careful in Ottawa guys, this is getting embarrassing!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

PT6A posted:

So, I looked up this airline.

3 separate instances of going off the runway at CYOW. You'd figure after the first two, they'd have some kind of company wide notice about "hey, be really loving careful in Ottawa guys, this is getting embarrassing!"

No kidding. Ottawa has special grooved runways for drainage that makes it harder to go off it now because of these chuckle fucks.

• Locked thread