Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

My worst dealership experience was at a Honda shop, of all places, and I was fourteen. It was just after the first Insight had come out and I thought it was the coolest car in the world (still gonna own one someday!). The local dealership had one stuck out in front, and it just sat...and sat...and sat. No one was interested in it and they clearly weren't making any effort to sell it. Eventually, after like three months of it not moving, my dad and I decided to go check it out.

1. We waited outside the dealership in the winter, poking at the Insight and looking in the windows for several minutes, while the salesmen stood inside and watched us through the glass. There were no other customers (yeah, yeah, but I like it when the sales guys at least act interested in the product they're selling).
2. Eventually we went inside and they were very aloof. Took a while to find the keys to the car, while acting disinterested.
3. Came outside. "Can we take it for a test drive?" "Oh, yeah, but only one of you...I have to be in the passenger seat." "So I can't drive it with my son?" "No, but he can sit in it."
4. "Also you can't take it out on the roads. You can only drive it around our lot."
5. Dad gets in the car and they drive around to the back. Comes back and parks it. Sales guy gets out. "Alright, you good?" Leaves.
6. Dad tells me that when he got to the back and put it in neutral, the engine stopped. Sales guy goes "what'd you do, stall it?" and dad had to explain the idle-stop feature of the vehicle.

Never went back to that dealership again. I still have never ridden in a moving Insight.

I had a Honda salesman tell me "I don't think so" when I asked if I could see under the hood of an s2000 on the showroom floor (this would have been around 2000/2001). The condescending attitude of the prick, like he was guarding the velvet rope of some exclusive supercar - it was just an S2000 ffs! I never set foot in that dealership again because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
:clint: "Got a thump noise coming out of the back, it shakes a bit, too."

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Best part about this, and I'm 100% assuming based on california plates, but that's not even a motorcycle plate.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Slavvy posted:

I've always wanted a first gen one too. Coolest econobox ever.

I had one for a couple of years, but it was a CVT. Managed to average 60mpg on my brutal 150 mile daily commute, which was awesome when gas was nearly $5/gallon. It was a fun little car, albeit very loud and bouncy around town.

The best part was showing people the "trunk," which was a little cooler shaped cubby under the flat floor in the back. Big enough for a 12 pack and nothing else. Also, awesome gauges.

Ended up selling it for more than I paid at the height of the 2007ish gas price boom.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

SaNChEzZ posted:

california plates

Certainly you meant Florida, but I think your point stands.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

El Jebus posted:

No, they're saying they've only ever seen california motorcycle plates and is figuring motorcycle plates in other states are similar to california ones.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

El Jebus posted:

theyre saying thats their point of reference.

and for the record yeah FL has small bike plates too.

I bet his is mounted near horizontal under the fender (fairing? idk bike terms, over the rear tire).

e: how ironic, that i should have a tablebreaking image of a "small" plate

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Does any state *not* have small motorcycle plates? No way could I fit a 12"x6" plate anywhere on my motorcycle without it sticking out way past the cowlings. The only flat surfaces that large are the radiator and maybe the center of the seat?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

No way could I fit a 12"x6" plate anywhere on my motorcycle

You're supposed to tuck it into your waistband duh :jerkbag:

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Sagebrush posted:

My worst dealership experience

Back in the 90's my family got a new Dodge Grand Caravan that was the first generation to have dual sliding doors. One wasn't closing properly every time due to some issue. Took it into the dealer and got a loaner while they looked at it. Turns out we had the loaner for three weeks because they had to order us a whole new van due to them removing the drivers side sliding door completely from the van and not being able to mount it back on the van again.

I still to this day don't know how they managed that, best guess is they borked the rail system somehow to where they would have to remove most of the side to replace it.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

xzzy posted:

No, they're saying they've only ever seen california motorcycle plates and is figuring motorcycle plates in other states are similar to california ones.

poo poo, good point. I misread that. Sorry Sanchez!

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Jesusfuckingchrist

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

14 INCH MACINTOSH COLOUR DISPLAY is in a different thread.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Seat Safety Switch posted:

14 INCH MACINTOSH COLOUR DISPLAY is in a different thread.

I was going to ask what kind of connector that is.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

CharlesM posted:

I was going to ask what kind of connector that is.

Yeah hard to tell from the pic. Either a Mac DB-15, or a Sun 13W3.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The last time I went to a car dealership to look at new cars I couldn't even get a salesman to give me the time of day, with nobody else on the lot. Just six or seven sales people all sitting at their desks, probably looking at Facebook.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Looking at that on my phone I thought it was a green Teletubby, then I blew it up and I'm even more confused.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

The same guy that puts the stickers on his laptop upside down.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

We get this poo poo a lot in the tattoo industry when people want a word or simple image on their wrist, but want it upside down because "it's for me to see it, not other people".

Cos you know when you're driving and need to keep your attention on the road ahead what you really want to be doing is 'miring your sweet frog vinyl hood sticker instead.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

If this was a Trinitron I could see this working.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

If this was a Trinitron I could see this working.

it is, and it is.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

PCOS Bill posted:

The last time I went to a car dealership to look at new cars I couldn't even get a salesman to give me the time of day, with nobody else on the lot. Just six or seven sales people all sitting at their desks, probably looking at Facebook.

Based on your posting here that seems reasonable.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Went to a Ford dealership to buy my wife's Fiesta a few years ago. The salesman looked like the bald guy from Pawn Stars and had a post-it note on his monitor with INFOWARS.COM written on it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sudo Echo posted:

it is, and it is.

I don't think they made a 13" or 14" Trinitron that wasn't an AV. I bet that's just a normal tube.

edit: I am wrong. It is a Trinitron.

Carry on!

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 12, 2015

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I don't think they made a 13" or 14" Trinitron that wasn't an AV. I bet that's just a normal tube.

edit: I am wrong. It is a Trinitron.

Carry on!

Everything from the beige Mac era is built like a brick shithouse too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

8ender posted:

Everything from the beige Mac era is built like a brick shithouse too.

Except for the analogue boards on the Colour Classic and anything with a Quantum Fireball, but yeah.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The local Micro Center still has logos from Quantum (and Connor) in their front window. US Robotics too. :allears:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Oh wow, I haven't thought of that name in years.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I once went to a Nissan/Renault dealership, the saleswoman was friendly and willing to help
She was also incredibly pretty and in an evening dress of all things and made me feel incredibly inadequate in my faded jeans, baggy hoody and real messed up hair from the galeforce winds outside.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I once went to a Nissan/Renault dealership, the saleswoman was friendly and willing to help
She was also incredibly pretty and in an evening dress of all things and made me feel incredibly inadequate in my faded jeans, baggy hoody and real messed up hair from the galeforce winds outside.

Needless to say, you bought 3?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Linedance posted:

Needless to say, you bought 3?

No, I ducked out in shame to the the connected Infiniti showroom where I was made to feel even more inadequate by the three salesmen there with impeccable suits and dashing good looks, one of them even had that real silver fox thing.
I spent about a minute looking at a Q60 and then disappeared in a wink.

I vowed never to go back there.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
A friend of a friend owns a couple of farms and the family is quite wealthy. When he needs a new landy he makes a point of turning up to the Land Rover dealership looking like Wurzel Gummidge, sitting in all the vehicles and acting like a thicko country bumpkin before paying for a brand new high spec defender in cash.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

ReelBigLizard posted:

A friend of a friend owns a couple of farms and the family is quite wealthy. When he needs a new landy he makes a point of turning up to the Land Rover dealership looking like Wurzel Gummidge, sitting in all the vehicles and acting like a thicko country bumpkin before paying for a brand new high spec defender in cash.

Good salesmen never judge a customer by how he looks. When I worked at a local Ford dealership we had a couple good ol' farm boys come in and buy high end F150s for cash, while a guy in a 3 piece suit couldn't get financing for an $8000 used Mazda.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Oh certainly, I was in sales for over 3 years. I made a point of helping out everyone equally.

Suffice to say the LR dealership is also the Bentley / Aston / BMW dealer and the staff are way up their own arses. He begrudges going there but we live on an island so the alternative is taking a flight or boat and picking one up in the UK and handling all the local re-registration etc.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

SaNChEzZ posted:

Best part about this, and I'm 100% assuming based on california plates, but that's not even a motorcycle plate.

That's a dealer plate he's got covering his tramp stamp. Not sure they make those motorcycle sized.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

glyph posted:

That's a dealer plate he's got covering his tramp stamp. Not sure they make those motorcycle sized.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

ReelBigLizard posted:

I did an internship at a JLR dealer and the richest customers were always the scruffiest looking. Teenagers in hoodies and flat brimmed hats, old men who looked like they never learned to dress themselves and women who tried to dress more teenage than their adult daughters they dragged in with them when buying an F-Type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Didn't think to grab my phone until it was too late, but it's not hard to replicate. Saw a car in a parking lot with this ubiquitous local dealership sticker:

However, they'd done some... "creative" removal to turn it into:

The true terrible car stuff, by the way, is buying a car from an Earnhardt dealership. gently caress those guys.

Aren't they are like the original buy here / pay here dealership in phoneix?

driguy posted:

Earnhardt may suck, but camelback hyundai/kia pissed me off so bad I will never do business with them. What part of "Don't loving call me anymore" did these guys not understand?

I've never heard a single good thing about any camelback dealership.

I bought my STi from their subaru/mazda dealership, and when I had to take it in for a fender-bender a year later the body shop discovered that the rear end had been repaired previously from a almost identical wreck on the other side.

Yes, a dealership sold me a new car that had backed into cross traffic (probably in their lot) and been repaired / never disclosed to me. And I always wondered why I could never get the alignment right on the thing.