Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

CashEnsign posted:

Honestly I would take Toast posts over 90% of the content in this thread.

nice post history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

imperialparadox posted:

Ballistics are incredibly overpowered. It only takes a few volleys to kill a ship, as compared to long bouts of sustained fire with an energy weapon.

Took your advice and put two longswords and a sawbuck on my gladius, holy drat they hit hard. I decided to go ahead and buy/equip some S4 cannons on my constellation, and it worked... in the hangar. Didn't spawn into the PU with them. Oh well, not like I was using those REC anyway.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

Ben is turning into a real unrepentant douchebag on the forums lately. Seems to be the circle of life for community managers the world over though, so I can't say it's unique to Star Citizen.

The only good community managers I've seen was when mortal kombat x was ramping up to launch. They actually played the game to show people features on stream and played with the community after release and we're generally tolerable if not nice people.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Madcosby posted:

Everyone should read this quoted post. Any hopes a game can be made, when people have literally spent a salary ln the game; supplicating these people will always result in an unfun experience. Posting on other forums earns bans. Upseting whales earns bans. There is no game, there can never be an mmo.

Crowdfunding and unlimited wishes crushed this game before it could even exist

It's like those lvl 19 decked out twinks in WoW battlegrounds whining about why nobody except them wants to join their games.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008

Romes128 posted:

The only good community managers I've seen was when mortal kombat x was ramping up to launch. They actually played the game to show people features on stream and played with the community after release and we're generally tolerable if not nice people.

I'm partial to that blizzard guy who started off pretty well but then eventually melted down in an epic shame spiral and made a clean break with both reality, and his employment with bliz.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Madcosby posted:

Everyone should read this quoted post. Any hopes a game can be made, when people have literally spent a salary ln the game; supplicating these people will always result in an unfun experience. Posting on other forums earns bans. Upseting whales earns bans. There is no game, there can never be an mmo.

Crowdfunding and unlimited wishes crushed this game before it could even exist

Yeah, the game is going to be a miserable experience for anyone who didn't spend thousands. CIG is basically beholden to the whales and they will cater the game to them to get them to spend more money. They aren't relying on the backs of the guys who spent a one time purchase on the game. They want the guy spending hundreds, if not thousands. And they will cater to them. Which means keeping them in a nice little bubble of delusion.

If CIG was truly devious, Squadron 42 will just be a paid for, glorified advertisement for the PU, where you get to fly all the ships, (especially the expensive ones) and give you a taste of the PU. Then when you buy the PU pack, you've got this garbage ship that just keeps getting blown up. So either you can work through hours of frustration to get a better ship, since the entire economy and balance is going to favor the whales, quit and waste the money you put into it (or just refund it) or you can drop a c-note and get something half-way decent to make the experience less miserable.

If only CIG was competent, it would probably be one of the most exploitative publishers out there. Though I imagine if CIG were competent, I wouldn't be posting in this thread right now and everyone would be flying around in Starfleet Dental.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

My god is it terrible. The very low framerate (even on low) combined with the atrocious headbob made me physically ill.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Malcolm posted:

I'm partial to that blizzard guy who started off pretty well but then eventually melted down in an epic shame spiral and made a clean break with both reality, and his employment with bliz.

It's hard to fathom the level of bullshit that forum mods get subjected to. To outsiders they look like very important company representatives, but inside any corporate hierarchy the customer support team is the lowest of the low. They deal with all of the bile and rage of every single idiot child on their forums, plus the trolling from goons, plus the well-intentioned genuine creepiness of dickwulves, and on top of that, they get paid like poo poo and live in a tiny cubicle for near minimum wage. Every morning on my way in to my office I pass my company's front line tech support office- they were super happy this year because they got moved into actual cubicles from their old spot under the stairs in the warehouse. I'm not even loving joking. They still suck at their jobs, but it's understandable why they do. And I can't blame them at all for going nuts over time.

Ben, on the other hand, is practically senior management as far as design and decision making go. The fact that he's even on the forums backing up the ridiculously hostile mods is just a gently caress up, but nothing more than I'd expect from him- he was a forum warrior before he was semi-important, and he'll be a forum warrior long after.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Justin Tyme posted:

My god is it terrible. The very low framerate (even on low) combined with the atrocious headbob made me physically ill.

To take advantage of multi-core CPUs and minimize head bob, put these settings in a user.cfg file and put it in the \Star Citizen\Public directory.

ai_NavigationSystemMT = 1
e_ParticlesThread = 1
e_StatObjMergeUseThread = 1
gfx_loadtimethread = 1
p_num_threads = 1
sys_job_system_enable = 0
sys_main_CPU = 0
sys_physics_CPU = 1
sys_streaming_CPU = 2
; These are Blur & annoying Visual Settings - Turned Off Here but they are normally Set to 1 by Default. I really dislike Blur, Bloom, HeadBob and colour bleeds in game so I set them all to 0.
r_MotionBlur = 0
r_DepthOfField = 0
r_ShadowBlur = 0
g_radialBlur = 0
r_HDRBrightLevel = 0
r_HDRBloomRatio = 0
hud_bobHud = 0
r_ChromaticAberration = 0

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

It's hard to fathom the level of bullshit that forum mods get subjected to. To outsiders they look like very important company representatives, but inside any corporate hierarchy the customer support team is the lowest of the low. They deal with all of the bile and rage of every single idiot child on their forums, plus the trolling from goons, plus the well-intentioned genuine creepiness of dickwulves, and on top of that, they get paid like poo poo and live in a tiny cubicle for near minimum wage. Every morning on my way in to my office I pass my company's front line tech support office- they were super happy this year because they got moved into actual cubicles from their old spot under the stairs in the warehouse. I'm not even loving joking. They still suck at their jobs, but it's understandable why they do. And I can't blame them at all for going nuts over time.

Ben, on the other hand, is practically senior management as far as design and decision making go. The fact that he's even on the forums backing up the ridiculously hostile mods is just a gently caress up, but nothing more than I'd expect from him- he was a forum warrior before he was semi-important, and he'll be a forum warrior long after.

He's taking out all his sexual frustration of not being physically able to get his dick hard and gently caress his wife because us a fat piece of poo poo on he forums

loving fat piece of poo poo

I dunno why I'm so mad about a fat guy maybe cause he's so repulsive both physically and as a person in general

I'm literally shaking

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Romes128 posted:

He's taking out all his sexual frustration of not being physically able to get his dick hard and gently caress his wife because us a fat piece of poo poo on he forums

loving fat piece of poo poo

I dunno why I'm so mad about a fat guy maybe cause he's so repulsive both physically and as a person in general

I'm literally shaking

Relax yo, that dude feels far worse due to his lifestyle choices than you could make him feel by calling him names. You know Ben just feels like a garbage fire at all times of the day. He's a morbidly obese chump that idolizes Wing Commander. You couldn't write a better character.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Sarsapariller posted:

To take advantage of multi-core CPUs and minimize head bob, put these settings in a user.cfg file and put it in the \Star Citizen\Public directory.

e_ParticlesThread = 1
gfx_loadtimethread = 1
p_num_threads = 1
sys_main_CPU = 0
sys_physics_CPU = 1
sys_streaming_CPU = 2
; These are Blur & annoying Visual Settings - Turned Off Here but they are normally Set to 1 by Default. I really dislike Blur, Bloom, HeadBob and colour bleeds in game so I set them all to 0.
r_MotionBlur = 0
r_DepthOfField = 0
r_ShadowBlur = 0
g_radialBlur = 0
r_HDRBrightLevel = 0
r_HDRBloomRatio = 0
hud_bobHud = 0

I'll try it tomorrow, but it's so bad that I can't see myself enjoying it even if it was the most fully-fleshed out immersive most detailed game in history.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

oh yea, Seraph was back for a bit

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Sarsapariller posted:

e_ParticlesThread = 1
gfx_loadtimethread = 1
p_num_threads = 1
sys_main_CPU = 0
sys_physics_CPU = 1
sys_streaming_CPU = 2
r_MotionBlur = 0
r_DepthOfField = 0
r_ShadowBlur = 0
g_radialBlur = 0
r_HDRBrightLevel = 0
r_HDRBloomRatio = 0
hud_bobHud = 0

Maybe goons will start fixing Star Citizen.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Malcolm posted:

The only one I can think of was tseric but his words rung pretty true overall.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

Relax yo, that dude feels far worse due to his lifestyle choices than you could make him feel by calling him names. You know Ben just feels like a garbage fire at all times of the day. He's a morbidly obese chump that idolizes Wing Commander. You couldn't write a better character.

I'm literally shaking right now

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Jared looks like what Ben will in a few months when cig collapses and he's homeless lol

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Jared is using his new look to scout shelters.

Or he's planning a big shave to become harder to recognize after the end.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Was Jared homeless when he got this job? He looks like a guy who's spent a lot of time sleeping in a cardboard box.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Romes128 posted:

Jared looks like what Ben will in a few months when cig collapses and he's homeless lol

what did ben even do for a living before becoming cheerleader and head croberts fellationist?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

what did ben even do for a living before becoming cheerleader and head croberts fellationist?

Be fat

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

Ben is turning into a real unrepentant douchebag on the forums lately. Seems to be the circle of life for community managers the world over though, so I can't say it's unique to Star Citizen.

There's so much pressure on them, it was inevitable that eventually the CIG community team would end up hating the backers. They think clearing the worst of negative posters out will help when it'll actually have the opposite effect. This is really similar to how :pgi: mismanaged their feedback too, though :pgi: went from having something playable and good to screwing it up.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Second experience was to get a Cutlass. Sadly nothing you do in the hangar translates over to your actual ship which means that all of those rented guns and UEC purchases will mean precisely dick for the moment. Likely this means any REC purchases will expire before you use them again (unless you play Arena Commander).

This might be a solution:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3whr1c/if_your_custom_loadouts_arent_working_at_port/

It's working as intended(tm).

Dirty Hairy
Oct 18, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
The release of 2.0 and crossing the 100m threshold aren't coincidental. What they really need right now are some good gaming journalists to write about what a janky mess the entire project is. Derek, if you've got something, you better act on it really soon.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Favonius posted:

:yikes:

They really cannot handle criticism over there.

To them it is not criticism. It is apostasy and heresy.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Dirty Hairy posted:

The release of 2.0 and crossing the 100m threshold aren't coincidental. What they really need right now are some good gaming journalists to write about what a janky mess the entire project is. Derek, if you've got something, you better act on it really soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sXPmz9b4lM

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

D_Smart posted:

Thanks for clearing that up Derek. I knew nothing sinister was going on. They are clearly just asking those questions as a mixture of courtesy and market research so they can make their end users experience even more fun in future.
The fact they have asked everyone these specific questions made it appear that there could be something else afoot but now you have posted your expert appraisal of the situation I feel a right fool ! egg on face

My post was not intended to a) make you look like a fool b) throw egg in your face

Sure, it was a tad flippant, but hey, you're on SA, right? :)
[/quote]

Derek , thought you were British. Remember something called sarcasm or have you lived stateside too long. I know these clowns are up to something but you are correct in that they don't have a leg to stand on

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Jeez, this game runs absolutely terribly or maybe they're going for that 24fps cinematic experience on purpose.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Daztek posted:

Jeez, this game runs absolutely terribly or maybe they're going for that 24fps cinematic experience on purpose.

Game's running fine

Your eyes are crap is all

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Gaem? yes? no?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

kikkelivelho posted:

Gaem? yes? no?

no

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015
Looks like it's slightly more stable than before. Managed to fly around, kill a constellation, a Merlin, had a fight with a super hornet but ended up running and then fought a constellation with my gladius until it was mostly red - then I crashed. Still, it's actually shaping up to be pretty fun. The combat and flying has definitely improved, ships seem to have weight now (you feel it when accelerating/changing directions) and you can't just ram a constellation and come away unscathed thanks to your shields.

tl;dr: Decent tech demo.

Malkof
Oct 13, 2001

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Game's running fine

Your eyes are crap is all

Star Citizen: What you're playing you wont need eyes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sarsapariller posted:

The sad thing is, the experience you had was 10,000x better than it would have been two weeks ago. At the beginning you couldn't play more than a minute and any multi-crew or NPC interaction would cause a server-wide crash. You are correct that it's nowhere near ready, and re-entering a ship/clipping through stuff is probably the biggest general shitshow left. But apparently CIG isn't comparing against other games to determine release- they're just measuring based on their own progress.

Of greater concern to me than the bugs is the ultimate emptiness of the experience. Bugs can be fixed, but really there's only about 2 hours of genuine "Content" in the game. Without trading, mining, bounty hunting, exploration, or functioning multicrew, it's likely that people are only going to stick around for slightly longer than they did with Arena Commander unless CIG really pumps it out in the new year.

Side note- my favorite experience tonight: I pulled out the Constellation just to gently caress around, and somehow a guy boarded before I was able to take off. I don't know how- I pulled up the ramp and launched as rapidly as I could. I didn't even notice him for the first 10 minutes because he wasn't doing anything, but then somebody in chat started talking about stowing away on a Connie in an asteroid field, where I happened to be. I parked the ship and got out of my seat to go find and give him a warm greeting with the butt of my pistol, but for some reason the physics grid of the connie was hosed up and I started floating in zero g. I clipped right out of the hull of the ship, and started floating around trying to get in an airlock, when I guess he got bored and got in the pilot's seat. Within seconds he had plowed it into the nearest asteroid and exploded. I suicided back to base and spent the next 5 minutes ramming his ship off the pad.

I played it two weeks ago and you're right; it was a mess. You're also right about there not being any real content to speak of. It's basically a freeform arena combat mode at the moment, and a buggy one at that. I'll probably play it again for a bit but those clipping bugs should have been treated as major blockers since they so dramatically alter gameplay. That said I remain incredibly impressed with the technical accomplishments of the team and think it's a pretty awesome experience. Squadron 42 at least should, at a technical level, function with another year of massaging. Whether or not that translates to a compelling game remains to be seen. Star Citizen the MMO is a different animal entirely.

Crash74 posted:

Wait, so beer your perma ban wasnt for the game, just for the fourms? Or are you using a sock puppet account?

Just the forums. If they had banned my game account I would have demanded a full refund and initiated chargebacks.

Sarsapariller posted:

I would genuinely caution anyone who is expressly trying to grief in this game- there's a strong possibility that they're not going to turn a blind eye to that poo poo, and they have already demonstrated a willingness to forum ban for offsite activities. So far that hasn't extended to in-game bans, but you never know. It's not gonna be like EVE where players have carte-blanche to be dicks.

As of this moment CIG does not have any policy or even a moderation staff for dealing with the game. While they clearly will perform a forum ban at the drop of a hat that's not a major loss. The majority of feedback to the developers is ignored and the forum itself is a toxic echo chamber that holds no value save as a repository for unmitigated wishful thinking and insanity. Should CIG actually cancel someone's account for in-game activity during a testing period then that person would rightfully deserve a full refund and should request one. Frankly I would expect CIG's technical people to actively welcome this sort of behavior early in the testing. There are no real consequences and, more importantly, loving around with the game now means the developers can put systems in place to mitigate it.

Sarsapariller posted:

The people moderating CIG's forums are not paid staff. They are volunteer backers. There's a paid lead moderator (Patrick I think?) but he's also doing customer service stuff because CIG apparently can't staff for poo poo. Toast is in a weird position because he's full CIG staff but is also previously a paid moderator who now keeps two accounts or something. I don't know. He used to be a really nice guy and I had fun chatting with him, but I think his time at CIG has changed him for the worse. Personally I consider Ben singly responsible for the "community' being the poorly moderator, highly toxic hellhole that it is. He dismissed suggestions years ago on how to provide useful rules and keep things above board, and instead he just encouraged nepotism and favoritism without any real sense of accountability of fairness. I'll give credit to Jared for finally implementing a ship-specific subforum (even if I can't read it), but he's just as clearly embedded in the Cult of Chris Roberts as the rest of them and will make absolutely no attempt whatsoever to encourage meaningful feedback.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

imperialparadox posted:

I was able to mount Longswords and Tarantulas in my hangar, and that loadout carried over into the PU. Maybe it's a Cutlass specific bug? :shrug:

Fun facts:

1. Ballistics are incredibly overpowered. It only takes a few volleys to kill a ship, as compared to long bouts of sustained fire with an energy weapon.

2. The safe zone around the station is 5,000 klicks. Even though you lose your gunsight pips when you are that far out from a targeted ship on the landing platform, your ballistic rounds can travel that far and you can snipe people on the landing platform even though the UI is showing you to be out of range, meaning that you are perfectly able to kill people in the safe zone. It makes me wonder how long it takes before your rounds actually despawn, or if your fired ammunition just keeps traveling until it gets off the map? In any case, this is a good case for why the landing zone should be a covered area like it is in Elite - anything out on the platform is a sitting duck.

Wut? I killed several pilots/cmdrs in elite inside the station... Needless to say that goes the same with me.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Hm. So the Monthly has something on the Caterpillar rebuild and the Constellation rebuild.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15105-Monthly-Studio-Report

Videos - what I saw before I had to focus on other stuff was greyboxing.

Last time I tried the PTU I got stuck in an airlock. Not a ship one, a station one.

Fractal Wave
Feb 7, 2009

Sarsapariller posted:

e_ParticlesThread = 1
gfx_loadtimethread = 1
p_num_threads = 1
sys_main_CPU = 0
sys_physics_CPU = 1
sys_streaming_CPU = 2
r_MotionBlur = 0
r_DepthOfField = 0
r_ShadowBlur = 0
g_radialBlur = 0
r_HDRBrightLevel = 0
r_HDRBloomRatio = 0
hud_bobHud = 0

You need to add a random fake key/vale, that way when CIG decides to push out a patch with your settings we can all have a good laugh.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Sarsapariller posted:

e_ParticlesThread = 1
gfx_loadtimethread = 1
p_num_threads = 1
sys_main_CPU = 0
sys_physics_CPU = 1
sys_streaming_CPU = 2
r_MotionBlur = 0
r_DepthOfField = 0
r_ShadowBlur = 0
g_radialBlur = 0
r_HDRBrightLevel = 0
r_HDRBloomRatio = 0
hud_bobHud = 0

Do I have to change of those settings if I have a Core i7 6700K? That is not a humble brag but actually a deceleration of how stupid I am.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
How vulnerable is this game to hacks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Amarcarts posted:

How vulnerable is this game to hacks?

It's made by them.