Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I had a Flying V modded so I could kill way more highs than the standard setup, so I could run it into the JC and feed its bright-rear end chorus with a super dark neck pickup, and run the bridge elsewhere. With just the neck going, washy soundscape like you describe, plus phaser, delay, etc.

I like pairing a JC with a Bassman. For me, that's the ultimate clean sound.

Not familiar with the Joyo stuff, but I got pretty good results warming up my 77 with some Seymour Duncan tube overdrive thing set with minimal drive. Same deal, it was the last thing in the chain, as a preamp. Like you said, not a tube amp, but sure is workable. Also you can turn the warm preamp off and get the nice crisp JC back. Mine is the brown one. There's also a blues-oriented blue one. Uses some tiny tube you supposedly never have to replace. Mostly I don't use overdrives; either I'm getting the distortion from the amp, or I'm using a Distortion+ and a Fuzz Face/Rangemaster clone. In fact, Rangemaster or Dist+ into the JC distortion gives it a good edge.

I'll never get rid of my JCs, and I think what I am saying here is go find yourself a Bassman, Super Reverb, or whatever, because a big fat Fender plus a nice crisp Roland is a really good sound, and what you're doing in the meantime is pretty close to what I settled on. But JCs love to be layered on top of 6L6s, and that's better than anything you're going to do by adding speakers to the 55.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets

Gorgar posted:

go find yourself a Bassman

Your telling me buddy... One day.

That setup with the two pickups out sounds pretty cool. I've heard good things about the Duncan Tube pedals. I think the main thing is throwing something that is a little more reactive right before the amp.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I've been planning out a stereo amp rig for a while and finally got enough space to start building it out. Can't recommend it highly enough even if it screws up all my old EQ ideas because now I'm running two amps and I usually ran both singly with mid heavy tones so they're kinda fighting for EQ space until I get time to tweak them properly.

WIP rats nest of cables.

philkop posted:

BIG SOUND!

Get a used 115 bass combo or go full crazy with an Eden EM275 and run two stereo amps side by side with extra inputs for your students. If you really want to pair the Roland with a tube amp then have you looked into a lunchbox head and a 112/212 cab?

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Verizian posted:

I've been planning out a stereo amp rig for a while and finally got enough space to start building it out. Can't recommend it highly enough even if it screws up all my old EQ ideas because now I'm running two amps and I usually ran both singly with mid heavy tones so they're kinda fighting for EQ space until I get time to tweak them properly.

WIP rats nest of cables.

Get a used 115 bass combo

I really do need a bass amp since I fill in playing bass more than I ever play guitar out.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

philkop posted:

I really do need a bass amp since I fill in playing bass more than I ever play guitar out.

See, Bassman!

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Amp worship in the studio today, the engineer said he wanted some options for guitar overdubs, we came back from lunch to this in the live room. Orange stacks are ours.

Guess I should list them, L to R : Jcm900 100watt reverb that sounded heavy 4x12 Marshall, Orange Dual Dark on top of an Orange 4x12 and a Worshiper 2x15 that our friends make. Vox AC 30 handwired with broken reverb on a 4x12, Orange Rockerverb 50 with 6x12s, a Roland Jazz Chorus 120, and some little Fender.

Pokey Araya fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 13, 2015

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Gorgar posted:

See, Bassman!

Then I just need a Rickenbacker. Ughh

E: I'm seriously happy with my short scale jaguar bass, but I feel like a Rick through a bassman would be the perfect punchy bass tone.

philkop fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 14, 2015

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

philkop posted:

I feel like a Rick through a bassman would be the perfect punchy bass tone.

It's pretty glorious. The silverfaces are pretty cheap still. They'll fart out at higher volume, but it's loud enough for practice or playing with acoustics or an electric band that knows about space and doesn't have to be loud. For loud volume, use a 6550 amp for the low end, and use the Rick-O-Sound stereo jack to run the Bassman on just the bridge pickup. Add effects, don't lose your low end, sound cool.

Or, get a modern Bassman 100T, enjoy silent recording mode (post power tube!), and enough power to deal with a drummer. Two inputs, so you can still do the stereo thing.

So, uh, yeah, I agree. Mostly the internet will tell you Bassmans are lousy bass amps, but there are ways to make it work, and gently caress, I love the sound of them. The old silverface ones are nice cheap workhorses. The new ones are less cheap, still workhorses.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I have a Fender M-80 combo amplifier. It was assembled in Brea, CA, rather than the current Corona plant. It's the gray rat fur edition, with red knobs and I'm currently attempting to repair it, as after having it in my possession for nearly 10 years now it sounds fritzed. My older brother's best friend had given it to me when I started playing guitar, and he had the amp since he likely purchased it in the early 90s.

I've never really compared notes on the amp, because all my friends had Behringer combos. I like that the M-80 is loud as hell, and hope the repairman can fix it, and isn't dead. He promised me $40 to repair it, which sounded like a deal as other guys in the area wanted $70/hr.

Anybody ever have this amp at one point, or know anything special about it? I really don't know much about solid-state amplifiers, but recently I've loved the sound of the tube Fender Special Deluxe Reverb, and am considering tube amps in the future, but the M-80 is very loud as it is, and I'd figure saving up for a better guitar might be better, unless some have some other opinion of this amp, I'd like to read who else around here has dealt with them.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'll be getting in an Arturia Microbrute sometime soon. Will it be reasonably safe to use it with a Tone Hammer 500 -> GS112? Maybe at least turn the tweeter all the way off?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'll be getting in an Arturia Microbrute sometime soon. Will it be reasonably safe to use it with a Tone Hammer 500 -> GS112? Maybe at least turn the tweeter all the way off?

You should be fine, but as a general rule I would set the volume on the synth to zero and then slowly bring it up just in case, but I've had zero problem with plugging both my Minibrute and MS-20 mini into my DSL1C.

Also, as someone that owns the Minibrute I will insist that you plug your guitar into the line in and set both a running filter LFO and/or use the brute factor since a synth with a line in is also a really big but amazingly fun guitar pedal.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 18, 2015

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

Pokey Araya posted:

Amp worship in the studio today, the engineer said he wanted some options for guitar overdubs, we came back from lunch to this in the live room. Orange stacks are ours.

Guess I should list them, L to R : Jcm900 100watt reverb that sounded heavy 4x12 Marshall, Orange Dual Dark on top of an Orange 4x12 and a Worshiper 2x15 that our friends make. Vox AC 30 handwired with broken reverb on a 4x12, Orange Rockerverb 50 with 6x12s, a Roland Jazz Chorus 120, and some little Fender.

Ahahaha, years ago I had that same type of little fender as probably my first real tube amp! I swapped the tubes out for sovteks and absolutely ripped the gently caress out of the tinny little speaker before I sold it and upgraded to something bigger and meaner.

Looks like one hell of a jam session would be in order.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Need some advice: I am looking for a head on the budget side of things with 3 channels (or 2 channels with an OCD to push some loving air) to be used for relatively small gigs. Think El Corazón (formerly Graceland) as the biggest place. The one I have in mind is the Carvin V3M. Has any of you guys used it? Does it give you the bang for your buck and all that jazz? I am open to any recommendations as long as you take the considerations above (and below).

I used to employ a SLO-100 in the past for the type of music I'm going to be playing. However, that guy has increasingly become my go-to head for studio purposes and I kinda want to leave it there along with any other expensive / vintage heads or combos. If there's any other alternative that might come to mind, let me know. Take into account the following, as well:
  • I'm basically purchasing 2 of the amp/head. (Having a backup to fend off bad juju)
  • Taking three guitars. 2 in Drop B and one in Standard C#. No active pickups.
  • Besides the tuner, the 6 pedals I've planned to take on tour so far are: A Semaphore, the little MD3 delay, a RV-3, a Decimator II, a Small Stone and potentially the aforementioned OCD. May end up putting a compressor instead, though.
Thanks in advance.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 28, 2015

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I hated the V3M along with every carvin amp I've tried.

I'd recommend a jet city 20h. Its a great head period not just great "for the size" and also if you like soldanos its soldano designed.

Only problem is its single channel.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 28, 2015

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

massive spider posted:

I hated the V3M along with every carvin amp I've tried.

I'd recommend a jet city 20h. Its a great head period not just great "for the size" and also if you like soldanos its soldano designed.

Only problem is its single channel.

So the 22H then?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Oh yeah I forgot that exists.

Also theres the small blackstar heads.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Okay, change of plans, especially because now I can test the amps below (thank goodness the local store has them) as opposed to what was mentioned before:

• Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier heads both in 25 and 50 watts.
  • Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 head. Looks a bit meh compared to the Rectos but it has the 5 band EQ that I loving love from my Mark IV.
  • An old Nomad combo.

I do appreciate that you guys answered back with recommendations, but on the other hand, I can play-test these babies tomorrow. Now, the last time I purchased a Mesa was around 14 or so years ago, which begs the question: They didn't start sucking all of a sudden and making lovely Rectos and such, right?

I remember the other guitar dude from my previous band swears by his old Double Rectifier (and he did indeed sound badass), so if anyone has any experience with current Mesa products, let me know.

Thanks in advance. :)

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

So, I'm currently playing a 6505 that I got for fairly cheap and one of the bands I'm playing with currently has booked a spate of bar gigs for which it's completely inappropriate.
Obviously, power and percieved loudness scale logarithmically and I know that a 15 watt amp is really not that much quieter than a 100, but what I'm looking for is a little more sensitivity with the volume control, so ultimately I'm trying to figure out whether I want a smaller amp or to invest in an attenuator. Since as far as I can tell, they're pretty similar investments, I was gonna ask for feedback from people here who have looked to scale down. What was your solution, and how happy are you with it?

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
What style of music do you play?

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

The band in question is a kind of low-fi indie rock group. I'm in another project that is a high gain/electronic/kids these days sort of deal, and I do some tracking for a friend who produces hip-hop, so I kinda jump around. I'm pretty happy with how my setup sounds right now, and power tube distortion isn't (right now) a vital part of my sound, (but it could be, and I guess a low wattage amp would be a good way to experiment with that). Like I said, what I'd really like is a bit more granularity with my volume control. At the last gig I found there was a really fine line between "not loud enough" and "too loud" for small rooms, or at least that particular space.

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 5, 2015

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

An attenuator will get you past that awkward volume window. It will also let you get into power tube distortion if you want, but the easiest use of it is just to soak up some of the volume so that the amp is not at that weird too soft/too loud point.

Low-wattage amps tend to use different tubes, and therefore will sound different if you push them into power tube distortion. I prefer an attenuated big amp with the sound and features I want to a small amp, but lots of people feel otherwise.

I haven't used a 6505, but it's got 6L6s in it, so my guess is it's built more around preamp distortion than power tube distortion. I'd probably just get a Hot Plate (same ohms as your intended speaker cabinet), run it at -12 dB, and just let the power tubes breathe and operate more within their good range, and not worry about pushing them into distortion. It's what I do with 6L6 amps, anyway.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

That makes sense to me, thanks. I guess the GAS is loving with me a bit. When I look at spending $350-$500 on an Air Brake or Rock Crusher (I don't think THD is making hot plates anymore) when my brain goes, "oh, but you can get one of those shiny looking Hughes and Kettner heads for not that much more, and think of all the new options that would give you!" sometimes.

I think you're right that an attenuator is what I'm really after here though. I like my amp, I'd just like a little less of it.

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 6, 2015

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Looks like THD is still in business, but they just sell their stuff on Ebay. I have a couple. They do the job well enough, especially for the sort of milder attenuation you're looking for.

I have a couple of the Rock Crusher Recording ones that I use on some 100W Engls. They put out a much better line out signal than the Hot Plates, and they seem to sound better at high rates of attenuation. In my opinion, it's a good enough sound that you could consider recording with it, or not bringing a speaker cabinet if you have a PA to run into. They also do just fine at mild amp-taming. I'm sure the non-recording version would do that just as well, though I'd really consider springing for the recording one.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

You've been very helpful, thank you. It's nice to get talked in to something sometimes.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, and if you're okay with someone playing Devil's Advocate here, have you tried the 5150 series when Eddie left Peavey and went to Fender? They do offer a 50 watt version of the 5150 III. It's a pretty cool head that works pretty well both live and in the studio. No doubt having an attenuator will come in handy for a 120 watt head in future situations where you need it, but I think that sometimes having less stuff that you need to troubleshoot if anything at all goes wrong is better in the long run.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

For attenuators I recommend the Weber Mass line of attenuators. They seem to be a fair bit cheaper than the competition and sound really good. They use a speaker motor for the load so they react more naturally than resistor based loads.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Octatonic posted:

I think you're right that an attenuator is what I'm really after here though. I like my amp, I'd just like a little less of it.

They make a lunchbox version which can be knocked down to 1W.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

Octatonic posted:

That makes sense to me, thanks. I guess the GAS is loving with me a bit. When I look at spending $350-$500 on an Air Brake or Rock Crusher (I don't think THD is making hot plates anymore) when my brain goes, "oh, but you can get one of those shiny looking Hughes and Kettner heads for not that much more, and think of all the new options that would give you!" sometimes.

I just bought a THD from their eBay account, and it works great... it lets me get away with playing my Orange Dual Terror in an apartment.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Is there a good primer out there on the varieties in Ampeg SVT heads? Are the modern ones good still or should I be looking only at older models?
Been playing a GK 800RB but I think it's time I move on up as I'm playing out more again.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

So to follow up, I ended up getting a 200w Mass with a balanced line out. If anyone's interested, I can do a write up when it gets built and shipped.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

hedgecore posted:

Is there a good primer out there on the varieties in Ampeg SVT heads? Are the modern ones good still or should I be looking only at older models?
Been playing a GK 800RB but I think it's time I move on up as I'm playing out more again.

Used SVT-CLs used to be the cheapest way to get a real SVT probably still are. No vintage mojo but still good amps. Though I can't imagine you'd need more than an 800rb as that's a pretty loud decent sounding amp imo unless by "moving up" you're referring to that SVT sound.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

FancyMike posted:

Used SVT-CLs used to be the cheapest way to get a real SVT probably still are. No vintage mojo but still good amps. Though I can't imagine you'd need more than an 800rb as that's a pretty loud decent sounding amp imo unless by "moving up" you're referring to that SVT sound.

Yeah I mean in tone (I mean better subjectively, not objectively). The 800RB gets very loud but even with a Sansamp I still prefer an actual SVT.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Well again, SVT-CLs are around for under $1k, or something like https://reverb.com/item/1386767-ampeg-svt-2pro would get most of the way there on a decent budget. If you've got $1500-2k to blow then go ahead and look at vintage/VR models. Personally, I get more than enough volume and the Ampeg sound out of a V4, but that is admittedly without a ton of headroom left over and even those amps can be kind of pricey these days.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFjGJAd_v9A

I'm super hype about this

*Its got normal and bright inputs, plus a "both" input for jumping them together, also inbuilt attenuation for maximum power tube distortion.

* Fender claim its their take on a "british" sound

* As everyone knows the first marshalls were made from modifying fender bassmans.

* its a loving tiny, reasonably priced plexi.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 12, 2015

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I've had a chance to try the 7 watt EL84 version (literally came to the store yesterday), it's a good sounding amp. The fact they are doing such a big range of 7, 15, 18/30 and 45 watts is crazy cool.

Also it's literally as if a Fender Bassman and a Marshall Bluesbreaker had a baby.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

massive spider posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFjGJAd_v9A

I'm super hype about this

*Its got normal and bright inputs, plus a "both" input for jumping them together, also inbuilt attenuation for maximum power tube distortion.

* Fender claim its their take on a "british" sound

* As everyone knows the first marshalls were made from modifying fender bassmans.

* its a loving tiny, reasonably priced plexi.

Holy poo poo that looks amazing.

The 15 watt version looks interesting as well since it looks like you can mute it and silently record from it.

e: It's also the only one with an effects loop.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 13, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Sounds nice. I'd like to try one out.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

No fx loop :(

That amp sounds awesome though. Like real awesome. I can't wait until some more demos come out.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i still haven't hosed with actual fx loops much. i just put everything in front because i prefer simplicity. the only thing i really feel would benefit me putting it in the loop would be my volume pedal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Most of my pedals are reverbs and delays nowadays and those don't usually play well in front before gain.

Gotta have a looper in the loop too so you can mess around tweaking rhythm/lead tones.