Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, The Mystery of Time was the most Demon metal album ever made (and I've thought about running Victorian-era Demon as a result of it), and it sounds like Avantasia's new album Ghostlights is going to be the most Vampire metal album ever made if Mystery of a Blood Red Rose is anything to go by.

E: In fact, kind of tempted to just do a Victorian nWoD fan thing. It's rife with places for cool things and reminders that the rich guys in top hats were the assholes of highest order.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Mors Rattus posted:

Well, The Mystery of Time was the most Demon metal album ever made (and I've thought about running Victorian-era Demon as a result of it), and it sounds like Avantasia's new album Ghostlights is going to be the most Vampire metal album ever made if Mystery of a Blood Red Rose is anything to go by.

E: In fact, kind of tempted to just do a Victorian nWoD fan thing. It's rife with places for cool things and reminders that the rich guys in top hats were the assholes of highest order.

Victorian Lost does already exist and also rule.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, that'll do for a place to start from.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

unseenlibrarian posted:

In the NWOD, the average regular person would be hosed if the PC splats went missing because predatory spirits would have nothing keeping them in check, angels would perfectly carry out their ineffable orders without breaking down, and anyone kidnapped into Elfland wouldn't ever be able to escape. Oh and also we'd probably have been overwritten into the Prince of 100,000 leaves already.

'Removing the protagonist without removing the antagonist' is very different from 'removing the splat'.

If you took out all the Mages but left the Technocracy then the world would be fine, because then their poo poo would actually work and it'd be a perfectly ordered techno-utopia like Star Trek.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
If you took out all non-technocrat mages then the dystopia we're already trapped in would be rendered inescapable.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Mors Rattus posted:

The oWoD Victorian Age Vampire was pretty great, and the novel trilogy they did for it is actually worth reading even though Victoria Ash is one of the main characters. They actually made her a compelling character and worth the ink used on her for it, which was a surprising change of pace. Strongly recommend you read it and steal ideas for your nWoD thing.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Oh, are we doing WoD songs?
This is the most nChangeling song I know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbWhazbf3-Q

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Cabbit posted:

To be fair to the oWoD, I'm pretty sure this is also true for the nWoD.

Eh. You'd probably see a downtick in violent crime statistics, but that'd be the result of all the mages and vampires and what have you no longer murking each other and ending up in the mundane record books.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
:siren:NWOD is now Chronicles of Darkness:siren:

Also the advance .pdf for the NWOD 2E COD Corebook just went up on Drivethru.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Luminous Obscurity posted:

:siren:NWOD is now Chronicles of Darkness:siren:

Also the advance .pdf for the NWOD 2E COD Corebook just went up on Drivethru.

Well, this looks like pretty much the best case scenario.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Now with 100% more fish puns.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

...yeah, I think I am okay with this.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It's a silly sounding name, but so is World of Darkness.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Investigation rules are new and read like Gumshoe was a serious influence. You have some basic ground rules for the GM:

1. There's no hard answers - players have some say in the Clues they find and establish, and you work with them to bring the results together in a way that makes sense.
2. Rolls are never binary - failure may still get you a Clue, but it tips off the villain, say, or it takes longer than expected so the villain's plans move forward, etc.

So, what is a Clue? They are basically a kind of equipment - a Clue is a fact or object or logical path which has 'elements' that can be expended on anything relating to the Clue or the greater investigation for an equipment bonus, piece of Leverage, etc. You can stockpile and use Clues as needed, until they are fully expended. You may go past the normal dice bonus limits from Clues...but on any given action, you only get to use benefits from one Clue per dot of Investigation you have, or 1, if you have no dots.

For an investigation scene, you start by determining what the characters are really looking for, which will often take multiple clues - usually between one and five, with five being a really huge investigation. Once the PCs get the right amount of Clues, they can Uncover the Truth (if this is their goal), and don't even have to make any rolls if they spend Clue elements equal to the required number of Clues.

So, once we know what the PCs want out of this, we determine what they might potentially find and what it means. Usually, this is done by leading questions - where are you looking, what do you hope to find, how do you think they did it, etc. Use the answers to guide the search for the Clue.

Then we decide how long it takes, determined by context and story needs. A Clue-hunting roll is an instant action, but it takes as long as you want it to, and might involve some actions in pursuit of it if, say, you're hunting for a wrecked ship and have to go through shark-infested waters. The game suggests giving bonuses to the Clue roll if PCs do particularly well in handling that kind of obstacle.

Now that we know what the PC is doing to get the Clue, we figure out the appropriate dicepool with the player's help, and make the roll. Each time the same Skill is used in an investigation, it gets a cumulative -1 penalty, however. Dramatic Failure causes a negative Condition of some kind and gives one Clue from the investigation the Tainted tag. Failure finds a Clue with the Incomplete tag. Success finds a Clue with one element, plus additional elements as needed. Exceptional success finds an extra element and also gives a beneficial Condition of some kind.

Most Clues have only one element, but if found by someone with 4+ dots in the relevant Skill or a Specialty directly related to the Clue, the Clue gets an additional element. Merits can also influence things. Elements can be expended to get +1 to a relevant dicepool or as part of an effort to solve the investigation. You can only spend from one Clue at a time per dot of Investigation (minimum 1) but can spend as many elements from those Clues as you want at once.

Clues can be tagged like equipment. Incomplete tag means the elements can only be used to give dice to rolls to uncover more Clues, and no other use. Tainted tag ignores the first success on any actions related to the investigation - which is cumulative per Tainted Clue! Any time an element from a Tainted Clue is used, it gives a -2 penalty, not a +1 bonus, but this still removes the element - basically, you're trading a -2 penalty for getting rid of the goddamn millstone around your neck, since until the Clue is finally gone, it keeps making you ignore successes.

Once characters have enough Clues, they may Uncover the Truth. As long as they have the right amount, there is no roll. For every Clue short of that amount, however, the ST introduces a complication, such as: the culprit has plausible deniability, there's a hostage, there will be legal consequences in pursuing the culprit, the crime was a smokescreen for a greater conspiracy. The game advises using input from the players during the investigation to decide the results here - not that they should necessarily determine the culprit, but they should influence the fine details with their hypotheses during the investigation.

Overall this is...interesting. I think I like it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Equipment rules and building new quipment! Five types:

Physical objects: your poo poo. Weapons, armor, art.
Organizations: people assembled for some need. Cults, bodyguards, whatever. They usually disband after one session unless bought as Merits after.
Repositories: Libraries, databases, security footage. It gives an equipment bonus which stacks with the Library Merit if you buy that, to a max of +5 dice.
Plans: Orchestrating a heist, raid or so on. If you succeed in 'building' a plan, everyone involved gets its equipment bonus...but the equipment vanishes when the plan definitively succeeds or fails.
Mystical Equipment: Magic circles, amulets, silver werewolf traps, whatever.

Building equipment happens in downtime, and should never take more than a few hours - this is for on the fly stuff, not making a car or business. Obviously, true relics can't be built by normal humans, either. If you have plenty of time, no duress and have dots equal to the equipment bonus a standard version of what you're making would give, no roll needed. It just happens and takes however much time. If you're under time pressure, notable stress or whatever, you need to roll. If you're making something beyond your casual expertise, you roll. Mostly this will be Wits+Crafts/Expression for physical objects, Presence/Manipulation+Socialize/Streetwise for organizations, Intelligence+Academics for repositories, Wits+Occult for mystical equipment and usually Wits+Composure for plans. The roll always has a penalty equal to the intended equipment bonus, with other benefits like a new function, increased trait or new resource counting as a one-die bonus per benefit. Weapons use weapon mod, armor uses its highest armor rating, and no matter what, the penalty caps at -5. Resources, Contacts or a research action might be needed to get materials or the knowledge to build the thing, but only for particularly complex, potent or dramatic stuff, not as a hoop to jump through. This is a single roll, but like Investigation it takes time determined by the ST.

Dramatic Failure means no equipment plus some negative consequence. Failure means you get the poo poo, but it is either Fragile or Volatile. Success just makes it, and Exceptional Success gives either one bonus die or one other benefit to the equipment; as normal, equipment bonus maxes out at +5.

The Fragile condition means the thing will break down once used a number of times equal to the creator's dots in the Skill used to make it. Everyone involved with the equipment gets a Beat when this happens. Volatile means that it's going to backfire. Any failure while using it is automatically a dramatic failure; this resolves the condition, but the equipment loses two dice of bonus when that happens, which can turn it into a penalty. Again, everyone involved with the thing gets a Beat when Volatile resolves.

You can attempt to jury-rig equipment in a very short time, using the same pool you'd use to build it normally...but every failure when jury-rigging is a dramatic failure. This causes some negative consequence as per normal. Success gives you waht you want, but it's Fragile or Volatile. Exceptional Success gives a thing that is normal. Some equipment, obviously, can't be jury-rigged.

Altering/repairing stuff can be done, mostly for physical equipment. Same roll as normal, but the penalty is the difference between the object's current state and where you want to be. Replacing one function with another has no penalty.

You can choose to do an extended action instead. You want successes equal to the intended total bonus and benefits plus one, but the rolls you make have no penalty, so it's better for really complex stuff, or for stuff outside the scope of the instant roll system, like building a car.

Again: Interesting, I think I like it.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

cptn_dr posted:

Oh, are we doing WoD songs?
This is the most nChangeling song I know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbWhazbf3-Q

Anais Mitchell's Hadestown album is pretty nChangeling. See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAgiK07Py9M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-JJKI6lMlE

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

There's freeform monster-making rules for non-spirits now! This is very helpful and I am very happy. There's even a truncated version for lesser critters who are only showing up briefly. Very nice.

Also: the example horror is the Black-Eyed Children, which is amazing. Go read up on these, they are the stupidest goddamn thing and I love it.

The game posits that Black-Eyed Children are the larval stage of the Men in Black from Mage. They just want to go home to their native dimension, but they have an uncontrollable psychic aura of fear, menace and revulsion, because that's part of the nature of MIBs. That's...interesting.

The Jersey Devil is also in there. ...except it's not the Jersey Devil. It's a literal devil from New Jersey, a stereotypical Jersey Shore asshat except he's also a supernatural tempter of horny teenagers and buyer of souls and so on.

Skimming hte God-Machine section, it looks mostly like they took the God-Machine Chronicle and mostly just transplanted it in.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I do not know what the purpose of this name change is, but I am okay with it.
The Investigation rules seem nice. Good to see that they codified "never let a failed roll uncover nothing."

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Well I hate the name change. But. I think it's only because it points out how goofy it is. If we'd been calling wod anything else for the last 25-whatever years and you suddenly changed it to "world of darkness" I'd be like "look at this dumb poo poo."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's also not a very unique abbreviation. Can't call it CoD because of Call of Duty. Can't call it 'Cee Oh Dee" because that's "Cash On Delivery". So the easiest way to refer to it and know what you're talking about is still going to be nWoD.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Basically it's a branding thing so Paradox can have their "One World of Darkness" but OP can continue making NWOD books. Honestly it reads like stuff worked out as best as it possibly could.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's a dumb name but goddamn it's about time they made a cleaner split between the universes. The old way invited comparisons - this at least cements that they're both distinct properties.

I'm happy with WoD and CoD, even if "cod" sounds stupid and the change comes this late into the game's lifecycle.

E:

quote:

So the easiest way to refer to it and know what you're talking about is still going to be nWoD.

I'm guessing the community will settle on "Chronicles" or just "chronic Vampire" "chronic Mage" etc.

moths fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 12, 2015

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Calling the new world CoD is a million times better than the effort to get everybody on board with cWoD. It was always the OWoD.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

CoD Vlops

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Which didn't make any goddamn sense either because they talk about how the unseelie houses like to hang out with Black Spiral Dancers in hives and Sabbat packs.

Well, in the core book it was like "well unseelie doesn't necessarily mean evil, it's just winter and darkness and stuff-" and then Shadow Court comes out and is "WHAT WAS THAT ABOUT MORAL RELATIVISM I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SCREAMS OF THE BABIES I'M STUFFING INTO MY GRINDER". It was really pretty astonishing.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
It looks like the in-house abbreviation is the CofD.

Okay, I appreciate that there's a "Hellboy's pockets: The merit."

quote:

Esoteric Armory (• to •••••)
Effect: Your character is the go-to guy when one
needs a knife carved from the bone of a martyred
saint, a hawthorn stake, rock salt shotgun shells,
the powdered remains of cremated suicides or any
number of other things. No matter how strange
the need, you’ve got it covered. After successfully
researching an ephemeral entity’s Bane, compare
your dots in this Merit to the entity’s Rank. If the
merit is equal to or greater than its Rank, you’ve got
what you need in your Armory. You should decide
along with your Storyteller where the Armory is,
though; a one-dot Esoteric Armory can fit in a large
bag, but a four- or five-dot one will fill a house.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

unseenlibrarian posted:

It looks like the in-house abbreviation is the CofD.

Okay, I appreciate that there's a "Hellboy's pockets: The merit."

That was in God-Machine Chronicle. I wrote it.

And it's "Dean Winchester's Car Trunk: The Merit" thankyouverymuch

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Hellboy did it first! :colbert:

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Kurieg posted:

It's also not a very unique abbreviation. Can't call it CoD because of Call of Duty. Can't call it 'Cee Oh Dee" because that's "Cash On Delivery". So the easiest way to refer to it and know what you're talking about is still going to be nWoD.

I don't know if it's just me, but cee-oh-dee means Cause of Death to me.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Mors Rattus posted:

There's freeform monster-making rules for non-spirits now! This is very helpful and I am very happy. There's even a truncated version for lesser critters who are only showing up briefly. Very nice.

Also: the example horror is the Black-Eyed Children, which is amazing. Go read up on these, they are the stupidest goddamn thing and I love it.

The game posits that Black-Eyed Children are the larval stage of the Men in Black from Mage. They just want to go home to their native dimension, but they have an uncontrollable psychic aura of fear, menace and revulsion, because that's part of the nature of MIBs. That's...interesting.

The Jersey Devil is also in there. ...except it's not the Jersey Devil. It's a literal devil from New Jersey, a stereotypical Jersey Shore asshat except he's also a supernatural tempter of horny teenagers and buyer of souls and so on.

Those were all mine! Glad you liked them. The Black Eyed Kids are probably my favorite, too.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Good on you for Black-Eyed Kids. Bad on you for making a Jersey Devil that isn't the Jersey Devil. That's a bait and switch!

even if I actually kinda like the guy as a monster, just, he's not the jersey devil

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Mors Rattus posted:

Good on you for Black-Eyed Kids. Bad on you for making a Jersey Devil that isn't the Jersey Devil. That's a bait and switch!

even if I actually kinda like the guy as a monster, just, he's not the jersey devil

I will never apologize for the Jersey Devil. :colbert:

Seriously though, I specifically wanted to avoid the obvious take on classic monsters for the examples. Certainly when I read a book like this, I'm much more interested in seeing something with a fresh spin on it than a summarized Wikipedia article.

Besides, I'm pretty sure Mother Leeds's 13th child has already been started up in CofD book somewhere. Antagonists maybe, or one of the Night Horrors? And if not, that's what the monster creation rules are for. After all, if the CofD can survive having about 12 things called "demons," it can survive two Jersey Devils. :)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

How do you pronounce "CofD"? Is it "cee-oh-eff-dee"? Or is it "sof-da"? Or "cof-dee"?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

How do you pronounce "CofD"? Is it "cee-oh-eff-dee"? Or is it "sof-da"? Or "cof-dee"?

I'd go with "See of Dee" personally.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

See of dee is the new BvD.

(I'm actually super excited about the rules. I will also echo how derpy the new name is, but so was the old name so :shrug:)

Ninja : for the record I came up with that independently. ^^^

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yeah I'm probably going to keep using oWoD/nWoD but I'm super glad there's a place for everything.

Are Chronicles of Darkness video games a possibility?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
If I already have the GMC do I need the new Chronicles of Darkness book?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It has the new rules I mentioned, which are quite handy. It just also includes most of the GMC, too.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wish there was a way to preorder the physical version along with this, but alas, I'll probably be waiting until then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Pope Guilty posted:

If I already have the GMC do I need the new Chronicles of Darkness book?

You don't needit, but it's awfully spiffy. You don't have things like the explosion rules, chases, investigations, monster building...