Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ugh I'm pretty sure it's not available in the Canadian store :(

I don't even see an option to buy it - it just lists it there but doesn't say it's out of stock or join a waitlist or anything. So, I guess it's not available at all - or not yet, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
¹Available in very limited quantities, while supplies last. To be eligible, a user must (i) be a United States resident with a United States shipping address and (ii) have an active Google Wallet account.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

spoof posted:

¹Available in very limited quantities, while supplies last. To be eligible, a user must (i) be a United States resident with a United States shipping address and (ii) have an active Google Wallet account.

gently caress America :(

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress yeah, America

Fixed that for you.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

hotsauce posted:

Instantly gone.

Edit: nevermind, managed to get one. They are going in and out of stock. Guess Google is testing it's order system to see what loads it can handle?

I just got one, the First Order Storm Trooper no less!

Estimated delivery date:
December 22 – 24, 2015

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I've had my Nexus 5X for a week now. It replaced a 5, that was used as a spare when my iPhone 5 got smashed. I'm really happy with it and have had none of the problems described in this thread. Got used to the size difference pretty quickly, the camera is snappy, no software hangups, and I got it for $0.20 with a plan (Down payment, of course, but it also included a Sphero BB-8 for another $0.20 - MRSP $200 here - which makes up for the more expensiver phone).

New to Android though, what's the best way to wirelessly transfer files to it? I don't have a USB C to A cable available and would like some movies and my music on it.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

JazzmasterCurious posted:

I've had my Nexus 5X for a week now. It replaced a 5, that was used as a spare when my iPhone 5 got smashed. I'm really happy with it and have had none of the problems described in this thread. Got used to the size difference pretty quickly, the camera is snappy, no software hangups, and I got it for $0.20 with a plan (Down payment, of course, but it also included a Sphero BB-8 for another $0.20 - MRSP $200 here - which makes up for the more expensiver phone).

New to Android though, what's the best way to wirelessly transfer files to it? I don't have a USB C to A cable available and would like some movies and my music on it.

Airdroid.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ray Finkle posted:

I had the exact same problem on mine, it's something screwy with the always listening feature messing up media audio. To fix it just go into your google app settings, then the voice submenu, turn always listening off then back on again and restart your phone. It's not a hardware problem.

Thanks!

This fixed it instantly, hasn't happened again after about 4 hours of playback. Weird bug.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
The pins in my g4's charger all fell out within 5 months, wondering if Verizon will replace it.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

SB35 posted:

Airdroid.

Portal by pushbullet is even easier imo
It uses a web app where you just scan a QR code with the phone app. Works on any computer!

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
That's exactly how AirDroid works. You go to web.airdroid.com, scan the QR code, and off you go.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AEMINAL posted:

It uses a web app where you just scan a QR code with the phone app. Works on any computer!

Isn't Portal one way though? Like it can't go Phone > Computer?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I use Bittorent Sync to transfer files to and from my phone/computer if I need to, it's pretty great.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
That new Blu phone looks amazing, hope they get here by Christmas

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
So I wound up comparing my Nexus 5's ringtones to my 6P. I'd been using Rhea as the notification ringtone on the Nexus 5, and when I upgraded to the 6P, the settings made Rhea the notification sound on the 6P... which is a different, more percussive sound. Investigating further, I found that all the stock alarms, ringtones, and notification sounds, despite having the same names on the N5 and the N6P, are all different.

Has a reason ever been stated for this? Comparing my N4 and the N5, the stock sounds seem pretty much the same. Is it an LG/Huawei thing? Brief investigations seem to show the same sounds as the N5 on the Motorola N6. Don't have an N5X to check there.

I've wound up downloading a set of the stock N5 sounds and am in the midst of changing their ID3 Tag data so they have distinctive names in the appropriate chooser dialogs.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I ran into the same thing. It sucks because all the new ringtones and alarms are awful.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I ended up googling and downloading all the old nexus sounds. Now when I want to change sounds, I have two of each that are named the same but sound totally different.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Where might I find these old Nexus sounds? Can't seem to locate them on the Google.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Daily Forecast posted:

Where might I find these old Nexus sounds? Can't seem to locate them on the Google.

http://forums.theandroidchannel.com/topic/203-download-android-devices-stock-system-sounds/

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

AEMINAL posted:

Also BTW Pushbullet is the most amazing application in the world, if it wasn't for Pushbullet I would have switched back to iOS instead of buying a new Android phone.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Except now they added a stupid subscription model. So they used to be awesome but not so much anymore.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Lblitzer posted:

Except now they added a stupid subscription model. So they used to be awesome but not so much anymore.

The subscription model is stupid, if they just said it costs $50 now I would pay for it a heartbeat.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So against my better judgement I decided to pick up a Nexus 5X. Gonna sell the LG G4 for more than I bought this phone for. I feel like I do this like four times a year because I am never happy with my technology. Oh well.

What's the cool brand for C-to-A cables? Anker?

edit: also thanks for the sounds above!

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 12, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I use Bittorent Sync to transfer files to and from my phone/computer if I need to, it's pretty great.

Yeah I need to do that, I keep meaning to. I love Sync in general.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I find myself IMPRESSED by the quality of catte picture this thing takes

I wasn't even trying, just a point and shoot to test.

Edit: v Nexus 5X, sorry

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 13, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Daily Forecast posted:

I find myself IMPRESSED by the quality of catte picture this thing takes

I wasn't even trying, just a point and shoot to test.

What kind of catte camera is it

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

He says like 3 posts up. Nexus 5X.

:arghfist: And did the dumb edit and talk to the person below thing above! :p

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I hope I'm not the only person to do this.

Google discontinued the Nexus 5, and I noticed in my area on Craigslist they were selling for more than I bought the drat thing for, so I sold it. Thing is, that's probably the last phone I was actually 100% happy with. Afterwards, I got a Note 4. The Note 4 was cool and all, and I didn't even mind Touchwiz (especially not the lollipop flavor of it) that much, and I remember myself saying "OH MAN phablets are the FUTURE, I am never getting any phone smaller than this!!" but after owning it for about six months the annoyances of an oversized screen started to get to me. I sold it (for almost as much as I bought it for; like, $100 less, oh well) and got a Moto G 2015. My complaint there was that the camera was kind of garbage (despite how much I tried to apologize for it in this thread), so I sold THAT one (again, for the buying price pretty much, maybe minus like ten dollars) and got an LG G4. My complaint with THAT one is that the screen is STILL just a bit too big and the buttons on the back get annoying after you get over the novelty.

Hopefully, since this is just the Nexus 5 (+1), I'll actually stick with this phone.

but probably not

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
The gently caress. Motorola took out half the functionality of the Moto app in marshmallow. I'm not sad about the DND feature cause that's in stock Android now, but I was actually using that "hey you're at work now I'll just set myself on vibrate" feature :(

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

maltesh posted:

Has a reason ever been stated for this? Comparing my N4 and the N5, the stock sounds seem pretty much the same. Is it an LG/Huawei thing? Brief investigations seem to show the same sounds as the N5 on the Motorola N6. Don't have an N5X to check there
As best as I can tell, Google updates all of the stock sounds in Marshmallow. Devices that existed before Marshmallow probably keep the existing versions.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Shai-Hulud posted:

The gently caress. Motorola took out half the functionality of the Moto app in marshmallow. I'm not sad about the DND feature cause that's in stock Android now, but I was actually using that "hey you're at work now I'll just set myself on vibrate" feature :(

Llama can do that for you

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So, annoying little niggle about the Nexus 5X that I hope somebody has a solution for:

When I have the headphone jack plugged from my phone and into my car stereo literally every other phone I've ever had has had no problem with detecting "OK, Google", and yet this time no matter how many times I shout like an idiot at my phone it just refuses to do anything until I unplug the headphone jack, speak my voice command, and then replug it in. Very annoying, since I (admittedly) tend to use "OK, Google" a lot while driving.

Second thing is that for some reason I can't get phone calls to play through the audio jack, either. With my LG G4 (and every other phone) the other person's voice would come through my car's speakers, and I could talk to them via speakerphone, but for some reason this phone refuses to do that.

edit: I also notice that this phone will detect OK Google with the screen on or off. Does that affect battery life noticeably at all? I imagine that the phone constantly listening wouldn't really ever let it 'sleep' but then again I could be super wrong.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 13, 2015

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Daily Forecast posted:

So against my better judgement I decided to pick up a Nexus 5X. Gonna sell the LG G4 for more than I bought this phone for. I feel like I do this like four times a year because I am never happy with my technology. Oh well.

What's the cool brand for C-to-A cables? Anker?

edit: also thanks for the sounds above!

Check out Amazon for Benson Leung's reviews for cables that properly meet the spec.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A25GROL6KJV3QG/ref=cm_cr_rdp_pdp

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Ah, thank you! Turns out I had ordered one that might have hosed up my poo poo. Was able to cancel with Amazon just fine, and ordered these instead http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015H6YUHK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Seem perfect.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Daily Forecast posted:

When I have the headphone jack plugged from my phone and into my car stereo literally every other phone I've ever had has had no problem with detecting "OK, Google"

Second thing is that for some reason I can't get phone calls to play through the audio jack, either.

This is likely the same problem. Your phone's microphone isn't active while your auxiliary cable is plugged in. It could be that it erroneously detects a microphone headset. Try installing SoundAbout to force it to detect the headphones as lacking a mic and see if you don't get the behavior you want.

You can also get a channel splitter, aim the audio at your head unit, and place a mic on the top of your steering wheel pedestal, which would likely also improve vocal quality.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Eikre posted:

This is likely the same problem. Your phone's microphone isn't active while your auxiliary cable is plugged in. It could be that it erroneously detects a microphone headset. Try installing SoundAbout to force it to detect the headphones as lacking a mic and see if you don't get the behavior you want.

You can also get a channel splitter, aim the audio at your head unit, and place a mic on the top of your steering wheel pedestal, which would likely also improve vocal quality.

Weirdly enough I just went out on an errand and tried to reproduce the problem, and now it works fine :confused: Apparently it fixed itself. I'll see if it happens again, I suppose.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Silly Burrito posted:

Check out Amazon for Benson Leung's reviews for cables that properly meet the spec.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A25GROL6KJV3QG/ref=cm_cr_rdp_pdp

I bought some straight off of his review and his app gave me a red failed icon. Oh well, I'm not overly concerned about it I suppose.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

TraderStav posted:

I bought some straight off of his review and his app gave me a red failed icon. Oh well, I'm not overly concerned about it I suppose.

The CheckR app only works when conected to a computer and only for A->C cables.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Daily Forecast posted:

I also notice that this phone will detect OK Google with the screen on or off. Does that affect battery life noticeably at all? I imagine that the phone constantly listening wouldn't really ever let it 'sleep' but then again I could be super wrong.
It runs this in a separate low-power chip, so it doesn't affect sleep or battery usage to any extent that you'd notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

So whatever happened to the predicted thermal throttling apocalypse predicted by some because the 6P uses an 810?