Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zachack posted:

Ignoring the ending itself from memory I'd say the 4th 5th or so could have been excised or reduced. It felt like a book that decided to wrap up after kinda running out of things to do with the premise but while still thinking maybe it could go on for a while longer.

If you've read the recent Unknown Soldier, the opposite of that.

I feel like a lot of it comes from people who were reading at the time maybe got tired of shelling out cash for more story/books maybe?

A lot of problems a person might notice reading month to month when you have weeks to dwell on a single issue or pacing problems disappear when read in trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

I feel like a lot of it comes from people who were reading at the time maybe got tired of shelling out cash for more story/books maybe?

A lot of problems a person might notice reading month to month when you have weeks to dwell on a single issue or pacing problems disappear when read in trade.

Wasn't it also them pilling more and more poo poo on him that him snapping was not shocking at all?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Wasn't it also them pilling more and more poo poo on him that him snapping was not shocking at all?

I thought that was kind of a central theme of the book?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Question is the Irredeemable special included in one of the omnibus?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

zoux posted:

I see this a lot and I have no idea what people mean by it. Where should it have ended?

It's more the fact that it could have told more or less the same story in a much shorter volume. It's got a decent amount of filler.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

MrTundra posted:

It's still giving me the option to pay with PayPal (in addition to Amazon). Maybe because I'm in the UK?

I'm in Scotland and since I merged accounts it's screwed up the "pay instantly" bit as it sends me to Amazon.com instead of co.uk, which is a bit annoying but not too bad since the basket still works with PayPal.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

zoux posted:

I read it after it was finished and thought it was a problem, albeit not as bad as some people made it seem.

As for the piling on the poo poo, it went too far. Again it's been a while but I remember thinking that while humanity may not deserve that treatment any person would likely go ballistic after what happened and the book did too little to address humanity's better parts.

MrTundra
Aug 19, 2014

bobkatt013 posted:

Did you merge the account yet?

That would be it... I don't have any Kindle comics so merging accounts hadn't occurred to me. Missed that bit in the earlier posts.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Comixology have started their "12 Days of Free Comics" promo. Today's freebie is Secret Wars # 1.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The Kins posted:

Comixology have started their "12 Days of Free Comics" promo. Today's freebie is Secret Wars # 1.

That's perfect because I didn't have issue 1 on Comixology since I read my brother's copy and bought the remaining issues digitally later on.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Okay, for some reason I am failing to get to this answer by Google -- and by the lack of info and my inability to do it myself, it looks like no -- but can I apply Amazon credit (or any of the credit card points that I can pay with on Amazon.com) or Amazon Gift Cards to Amazon Payments so that I can use that credit to buy comics?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The new Star Wars #1s are on sale for 99c. I can only speak for Lando, SW and Vader but they all own.

Also, free comic today is the new Waid/Staples Archie, which I've heard is outstanding.

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 10, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Wolverine and Spider-Man and the X-Men sale today only.
https://www.comixology.com/Wolverine-and-the-X-Men/page/9106

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

onefish posted:

Okay, for some reason I am failing to get to this answer by Google -- and by the lack of info and my inability to do it myself, it looks like no -- but can I apply Amazon credit (or any of the credit card points that I can pay with on Amazon.com) or Amazon Gift Cards to Amazon Payments so that I can use that credit to buy comics?

Try reaching out to Comixology on Twitter. They're normally good about answering questions like this.

Edit: what you could do - once your accounts have been merged - is buy comics through Amazon using gift cards / points, and then read them through the Comixology app?

Shitshow fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 12, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Big rear end Star Wars one day sale ends at midnight. Most of the stuff is on MU if you already have it, but there's some stuff that ain't. I picked up the Shadows of the Empire comic adaptation omni for $4!

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
I grabbed a few of these fanficy omnibuses, like the legacy stuff, the Thrawn trilogy and Dark Empire.
I remember reading that stuff on release when I was a teenager and thinking the coloring sucked. Twenty years later, I'm kind of bracing myself on that front.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Shitshow posted:

Try reaching out to Comixology on Twitter. They're normally good about answering questions like this.

Edit: what you could do - once your accounts have been merged - is buy comics through Amazon using gift cards / points, and then read them through the Comixology app?

Oh hey, this second option is a very good answer to the question--thank you. Importantly, Amazon Kindle seems to match all Comixology discount sales on trades, and it's very clear when a book bought at the main Amazon site can be read on Comixology. They don't seem to match individual issue discounts, though, so I might still reach out to Comixology on the question.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

zoux posted:

Big rear end Star Wars one day sale ends at midnight. Most of the stuff is on MU if you already have it, but there's some stuff that ain't. I picked up the Shadows of the Empire comic adaptation omni for $4!

In addition to this Marvel has its 1977 series plus some stand alones on sale in it on app.

Edit: One free month of Marvel Unlimited with the promo code Force for new or former subscribers.
http://marvel.com/theforce?Dcom=HPRotator&cid=MUStarWars

Edit2: WoW I'm dumb the Star Wars Omnibus sale is here on Comixology until the 20th.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 14, 2015

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

zoux posted:

I don't see the Shadows of the Empire omni as on sale. Are you talking about the Thrawn trilogy, Crimson Empire, or the Dark Empire trilogy perhaps?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Casyl posted:

I don't see the Shadows of the Empire omni as on sale. Are you talking about the Thrawn trilogy, Crimson Empire, or the Dark Empire trilogy perhaps?

What were the Thrawn books called? Them's the ones I meant.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

zoux posted:

What were the Thrawn books called? Them's the ones I meant.

The Thrawn trilogy itself is on sale for $3.99, but also you can get Heir to the Empire, the first part, for $3.99. Why both are the same price, I don't know.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Earth One sale, $6 apiece for each of the Superman (a better version of Man of Steel?), Teen Titans (I liked it, most TT fans I know loved it), and Batman (awwww yeah, Gary Frank art) trades.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

So if I buy the 5 Star Wars omnis with similar trade dress on sale right now that will cover the entire OG SW comic? Glancing at the recent omni details on Amazon makes me think this is true but I want to verify. Anything wrong with the Comixology ones?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Zachack posted:

So if I buy the 5 Star Wars omnis with similar trade dress on sale right now that will cover the entire OG SW comic? Glancing at the recent omni details on Amazon makes me think this is true but I want to verify. Anything wrong with the Comixology ones?
The "A Long Time Ago" ones? Yeah, those cover the entire original Marvel run.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
Humble Books Bundle right now is Boom! comics. $15 gets you Irredeemable Vol. 1-7, Lumberjanes to issue 20, and a ton of other stuff.
https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Casyl posted:

Humble Books Bundle right now is Boom! comics. $15 gets you Irredeemable Vol. 1-7, Lumberjanes to issue 20, and a ton of other stuff.

Bee and Puppycat! Too bad Natasha Allegri only worked on the first two issues (and it seems like #8, but I haven't read that). However, issue #2 contains the best use of QR codes I've ever seen.

Anyway, I've been hoping for a Boom! sale to catch up on Lumberjanes. This works just as well!

Anything else worth reading?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Casyl posted:

All over this!

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
The Hellraiser books are great. They're a collection of short stories, including Gaiman and Mignola, all set in the Hellraiser world.

It's not tightly tied to the movies, it's more like a world where puzzles can lead to damnation, and people have different reasons for seeking that out.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Couldn't see one in the OP but are there any Android comic readers that would allow me to stream comics from a Google Drive? Or one that I could sync with a Drive folder and then choose each one I want to pick out and download.

Challenger seemed almost there, but it seems to want to download everything in a Drive and I have many gigs of comics in that folder. Ideally don't want to put them all into their own folders (but might have to).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

PoshAlligator posted:

Couldn't see one in the OP but are there any Android comic readers that would allow me to stream comics from a Google Drive? Or one that I could sync with a Drive folder and then choose each one I want to pick out and download.

Challenger seemed almost there, but it seems to want to download everything in a Drive and I have many gigs of comics in that folder. Ideally don't want to put them all into their own folders (but might have to).

I've tried similar but ended up using Perfect Viewer to open .cbz files by default and using ES File Explorer to a SMB share, or FTP if not on my network. Doesn't track my collection but easy to use.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

PoshAlligator posted:

Google Play Books should let you read PDFs directly from Google Drive. Doesn't help with CBRs (I don't think).

Last time I used it, I had problems with big files, but should be okay for individual issues.

I finally got a new Android tablet, checked out all the comics readers I put in the OP, and disliked all of them for one reason or another.

Medullah posted:

I've tried similar but ended up using Perfect Viewer to open .cbz files by default and using ES File Explorer to a SMB share, or FTP if not on my network. Doesn't track my collection but easy to use.

ES File Explorer can link directly into Google Drive. Though the Android thread has been slowly moving away from ES File Explorer due to recent changes in the app and owner.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I use Comic Rack and point the secondary comics location to Google drives default downloads folder. You do have to download the files to the device though.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I use Comic Rack and Dropsync with a specific dropbox folder. I drop new stuff into the folder from my desktop and it auto syncs to the tablet for reading in CR

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Syrinxx posted:

I use Comic Rack and Dropsync with a specific dropbox folder. I drop new stuff into the folder from my desktop and it auto syncs to the tablet for reading in CR

I'm going to try this

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I have a question about Marvel unlimited. When I first created my account, I linked it to my Facebook. Is it possible to change it so I don't have to have my Facebook active to access it? Like, create a normal user/people account?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

https://www.comixology.com/DC-101-Collections-Sale/page/9176?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Pretty big sale on DC collections. Going to get the Brubaker Catwoman books and the Tales of Batman by JHW3, any other suggestions? Thinking about the Superman Secret Identity (Busiek), maybe other Tales of Batman collections, Justice (Ross)?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Zachack posted:

Thinking about the Superman Secret Identity (Busiek)

This is good.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Zachack posted:

https://www.comixology.com/DC-101-Collections-Sale/page/9176?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Pretty big sale on DC collections. Going to get the Brubaker Catwoman books and the Tales of Batman by JHW3, any other suggestions? Thinking about the Superman Secret Identity (Busiek), maybe other Tales of Batman collections, Justice (Ross)?

The first two Brubaker Catwoman collections are excellent, but the quality takes a huge dive in the third, when the artist changes and you start getting random chapters of larger Bat-family crossovers.

I would strongly recommend the first two Booster Gold volumes by Johns (and I like the others as well), JSA: The Golden Age by Robinson, the two Deadshot volumes, and the first Authority volume by Ellis and Hitch.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zachack posted:

Thinking about the Superman Secret Identity (Busiek)
Do it, it's excellent.

Batman Black & White is an anthology series, and a great way to see a wide range of excellent talent have a play around with Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Do it, it's excellent.

Batman Black & White is an anthology series, and a great way to see a wide range of excellent talent have a play around with Batman.

I have the first three of the B&W books, and recommend the first in this sale, but suggest caution on 2 and avoid on 3 if, after the first one, anyone is thinking the quality remains the same.

Thanks for the other suggestions, most are things I have and I would suggest them to others. No thoughts on Tales books? I realize some of them may be fairly dated but I'm generally ok with the older styles of plotting/layouts and the price seems pretty decent.