Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Apple Music definitely uploads your tracks that aren't in the music store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

With DRM attached... Or so they say.. I have both

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What do you mean by DRM attached ? Like what difference does it make, you'll need to have a local copy of it somewhere anyway

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

What do you mean by DRM attached ? Like what difference does it make, you'll need to have a local copy of it somewhere anyway

So if my hard drive goes under where is my local copy? What if I have multiple machines I manage the same library from? Why do I want to have to guess at which one uploaded the music?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Anya posted:

Trying out the 3 month Apple Music trial, and while it's okay, I've got SiriusXM in the car so streaming music when driving isn't a priority. Is ITunes Match a decent enough thing? I hate dragging music onto my phone from Windows iTunes so being able to drag it from the cloud whenever sounds like a better choice.
If your goal is just to make syncing (parts of) your library as close to painless as possible, iTunes Match is great. Especially if you have multiple iTunes/iOS using devices. I haven't actually "synched" anything for a couple of years, my library is just "there" on all my (and my wife's, since we share the same Store ID) devices.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If your goal is just to make syncing (parts of) your library as close to painless as possible, iTunes Match is great. Especially if you have multiple iTunes/iOS using devices. I haven't actually "synched" anything for a couple of years, my library is just "there" on all my (and my wife's, since we share the same Store ID) devices.

That is the part that I like the most about iTunes Match. The syncing between computers and devices is really nice that as I add new music to the library I don't have to do anything on other computers, iPhones, or iPads to see the new music.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Honestly though, if all you want is cloud-synced music, Google Play is hard (impossible?) to beat.
Their app actually works and you can delete locally cached content at will.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Oops, you're right. Here's Apple's page on Apple Music and iTunes Match: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204962

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Khablam posted:

Honestly though, if all you want is cloud-synced music, Google Play is hard (impossible?) to beat.
Their app actually works and you can delete locally cached content at will.
In case you don't know, your info is outdated -- you've been able to delete individual (locally cached) things from the iOS Music app for quite a while now. I want to say since at least iOS8, but can't remember.

And I can't remember hearing many complaints about the iOS Music app that are related to just playing/synching songs in your own library. Seems to mostly be about Apple Music stuff. Could be misremembering, I guess.

I mean, there are definitely bad things about using iTunes/iOS Music, but the two you listed aren't really valid ones.

Google Play Music is free for your own library though, right? That's an upside.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

While iOS is not perfect, it seems increasingly likely that complaints or problems people post about are simple user error or not knowing how something works.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

XyrlocShammypants posted:

While iOS is not perfect, it seems increasingly likely that complaints or problems people post about are simple user error or not knowing how something works.

i take it this is supposed to be a snide remark but making something that was intuitive and obvious used to be the paramount logic in apples design philosophy

the settings menu today is a massive clusterfuck compared to back in the day. exhibit A: 2 major patches later and 'wifi-assist' is still at the bottom of a long rear end list of app-toggles in settings > cellular, which means almost nobody realises its there until they google 'why the gently caress has my data usage gone through the roof ios 9'

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Whoops looks like this was already answered.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Google Play Music is good, but it doesn't consistently work with my car's Bluetooth to show artist/track/album titles like Music.app does, so I use Music.app most of the time. I always keep a complete copy of my music library in both iTunes Match and Google Play Music for redundancy purposes though :shepface:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

No scrobbling on Google Play Music :argh:

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Is there any way to get the app store or the itunes store to use my goddamn Apple Pay cards? (iphone 6, iOS 9.2)

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

i take it this is supposed to be a snide remark but making something that was intuitive and obvious used to be the paramount logic in apples design philosophy

the settings menu today is a massive clusterfuck compared to back in the day. exhibit A: 2 major patches later and 'wifi-assist' is still at the bottom of a long rear end list of app-toggles in settings > cellular, which means almost nobody realises its there until they google 'why the gently caress has my data usage gone through the roof ios 9'

Maybe, but things are vastly more complex now than before. Could the settings be more intuitive? Sure. My comment was basically just an observation after following this thread for a number of years. The more converts from other platforms, the more people have complaints about iOS that are either user-error, or lack of investigation the phone's settings. People have a tendency also to have a problem and claim it is more widespread and common than it is as well.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

dik-dik posted:

Is there any way to get the app store or the itunes store to use my goddamn Apple Pay cards? (iphone 6, iOS 9.2)

I don't understand. You have credit cards in Apple Pay, right? And you have an AppleID? Add one of them to your AppleID.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Snuffman posted:

5S owner, read about this elsewhere and checked. I saw this in the app store too. Gross.

I submitted a feedback thingy on apple.com/feedback.

Its not "Here's a free U2 album whether you like it or not" bad, but its still bad.

lol

Did you call it a slap in the face?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, it's really weird and gross that a retail app is trying to sell you things.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So I know the recommended Lightning cables are listed in the thread title, but are there any USB extension cables that work well for charging? Maybe it's anecdotal, but my Amazon Basics USB 2.0 extension cables (one 3ft and one 6ft) significantly slow down charging compared to when my iPhone / iPad are plugged into the charger direct with an OEM cable (using an OEM Nexus 7 2.1A wall plug charger and an Anker 40w 5-port charger as test subjects).

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

tuyop posted:

I don't understand. You have credit cards in Apple Pay, right? And you have an AppleID? Add one of them to your AppleID.

What I'm saying is, I've already added them to Apple Pay, but there's no way to move them from Apple Pay to my Apple ID. I have to manually re-enter them, which is annoying. I can't even use the camera entry feature that you use to enter cards into Apple Pay or Safari. I'm not saying it's a huge deal or anything, it's just silly that I can't use Apple Pay to pay for things on iTunes or the App Store.

GobiasIndustries posted:

So I know the recommended Lightning cables are listed in the thread title, but are there any USB extension cables that work well for charging? Maybe it's anecdotal, but my Amazon Basics USB 2.0 extension cables (one 3ft and one 6ft) significantly slow down charging compared to when my iPhone / iPad are plugged into the charger direct with an OEM cable (using an OEM Nexus 7 2.1A wall plug charger and an Anker 40w 5-port charger as test subjects).

Why not just buy a long lightning cable and not use an extender? The Wirecutter claims the Aduro 10' cable charges just as fast as a regular length cable.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 13, 2015

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

dik-dik posted:

Why not just buy a long lightning cable and not use an extender?

Had the extenders from my old work desk, figured I'd try to use them to add an extra charing port from behind my couch and not spend money, but they can't even keep up with light device use (web browsing, twitter, etc.)

edit: that didn't actually answer your question really. I've already got a ton of short lightning cables, seems it'd be easier to buy a good extension cable and use one of my existing cables. Also I'm curious about the technical reasons why my extension cables have such a big drop off in supplying power.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 13, 2015

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

But, if you're looking to buy a new extender, then how are you not going to spend money? Or am I misunderstanding your question.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

dik-dik posted:

But, if you're looking to buy a new extender, then how are you not going to spend money? Or am I misunderstanding your question.

Nah I think I'm just being dumb :downs:. I guess what I really wanted to know was on a technical level, why my extension cables weren't working in a charging function and asked it in a totally roundabout way.

edit: But also, it would be nice to be able to buy extension cables so that, for non-Lightning devices, I can plug their cables in and know that I won't get charging problems. My Kindle, Bluetooth headset, and a few other devices are non-Lightning but it'd be nice to swap the cable out near me as opposed to behind the couch.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 13, 2015

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

GobiasIndustries posted:

fwiw I've got an Amazon usb 3.0 cable extender and it charges my stuff just as fast as an Apple lightning cable without it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I never considered that the 3x Apple keyboard USB extenders might be slowing down my charge rate. I might have to do a time trial on them to see if they are. Also thanks for the thread title, it encouraged me to look up the Anker cables on Amazon, and for £10 ($16) I bought the 2x 3ft pack and they seem nicely made cables in good packaging. I like to keep a 'never been used' cable in my backpack for emergencies, and I usually use Poundland ones that only last a few charges before dying, this should do me way better.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, it's really weird and gross that a retail app is trying to sell you things.

Maybe they should put it in the Retail store app then not the one you need to go into to perform updates.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I wondered what this week's manufactured Apple outrage was going to be.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I wondered what this week's manufactured Apple outrage was going to be.

Lack-of-apple-pencils-gate.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Croc Monster posted:

fwiw I've got an Amazon usb 3.0 cable extender and it charges my stuff just as fast as an Apple lightning cable without it.
Someone way back suggested USB 3.0 cables for extensions cause they should be better quality to handle the higher bandwidth requirements, or something like that. Course I think the context might've been the Mac thread and more to do with data transmission than charging :iiam:

As for the why I dunno, presumably limits on transmission/power and/or signal degradation over whatever length.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

dik-dik posted:

What I'm saying is, I've already added them to Apple Pay, but there's no way to move them from Apple Pay to my Apple ID. I have to manually re-enter them, which is annoying. I can't even use the camera entry feature that you use to enter cards into Apple Pay or Safari. I'm not saying it's a huge deal or anything, it's just silly that I can't use Apple Pay to pay for things on iTunes or the App Store.

The Apple Pay info only exists in the secure chip storage of a given device; the secure architecture is part of how they were able to do favorable deals with the banks. It can't be copied out to fill your Apple ID credit card info. While it should be possible to use Apple Pay from an equipped device to pay Apple for content, you run into the fact that you don't have that option everywhere you can purchase content from Apple (like older devices, computers, Apple TV, etc.) so you'd still need a card associated with the account. Plus it would mean they couldn't bundle up smaller purchases into a single transaction which saves them on card processing fees.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

japtor posted:

Someone way back suggested USB 3.0 cables for extensions cause they should be better quality to handle the higher bandwidth requirements, or something like that. Course I think the context might've been the Mac thread and more to do with data transmission than charging :iiam:

As for the why I dunno, presumably limits on transmission/power and/or signal degradation over whatever length.

I thought there were problems with USB 3.0 over longer lengths, so you find those amps in classrooms and stuff when they have to run a long USB cord.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
There's a maximum length before you need to start using repeaters but iirc the max length for USB 3 is longer than it was for 2.

e: guess it's the other way around, 5 meters for 2.0 and 3 meters for 3.0.

Dubstep Jesus fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 14, 2015

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Froist posted:

If you have a 6S/6S Plus you can just 3D press the App Store icon on the springboard and "Redeem" is in the menu.

Son of a bitch. Well, now I know for next time I redeem a card in 2 years.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My brother updated his Verizon 16gb 5s to 9.2 and now he doesn't have cell service. It just stays on 'Searching' and doesn't connect. He's rebooted it twice and had the same problems at work (in a different city) so I'm guessing it's not a local service blackout issue. What else can I have him try, or should he take it into a Verizon store?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

GobiasIndustries posted:

My brother updated his Verizon 16gb 5s to 9.2 and now he doesn't have cell service. It just stays on 'Searching' and doesn't connect. He's rebooted it twice and had the same problems at work (in a different city) so I'm guessing it's not a local service blackout issue. What else can I have him try, or should he take it into a Verizon store?

Reset network settings?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201415

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Reset network settings, then go to either an Apple or Verizon store (CORPORATE ONLY) for a new SIM.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Can someone suggest a screen protector for the 6s? I bought the moshi ivisor but it already came off and it's bound to do it again. I'm in the field a lot so I need something durable and preferably won't show fingerprints.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Verisimilidude posted:

Can someone suggest a screen protector for the 6s? I bought the moshi ivisor but it already came off and it's bound to do it again. I'm in the field a lot so I need something durable and preferably won't show fingerprints.

Buddy, you are in for a world of hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

Reset network settings, then go to either an Apple or Verizon store (CORPORATE ONLY) for a new SIM.

I had him go through everything on the linked list, though I just got a notification about new carrier settings via iTunes a few minutes ago. I'll have him check that again first and then I think he'll have to go to the Verizon store tomorrow if that doesn't work.

By CORPORATE ONLY, does that mean like not going to a mall kiosk? There's a Verizon store 2 miles away from his place which took care of my family's switch from AT&T to Verizon a few years ago.