lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Lindsey Graham is continuing his burn it all down campaign.

Lindsey Graham: Trump Leading Because 40% Of GOP Voters Think Obama Is Kenyan Muslim

If it wasn't the whole nuke everyone thing I would kind of like him.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

JT Jag posted:

I doubt he's being paid by them.

On the books.
A Mormon? Of course, Mormons are generally religiously and politically conservative, but (and of course this experience can vary from person to person) I've found that, due to their community values, they can at least be friendly to people they disagree with on those points, unlike Evangelicals, who are very judgmental.

That's only half true. Mormons are very judgemental, snobby pricks when they're around other Mormons. They're also nice about it though so it's hard to see through their smug poo poo.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
cut out the middleman and just directly hire legislators as lobbyists

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

THANK YOU!

I thought I was the only one who felt this way and that I was the crazy one. It's like there's this elephant in the room of deepening income inequality, stagnant wages, etc. and yet NPR et al are acting all optimistic about the economy getting better. It's practically willful ignorance from the way the media portrays the economy now.

The economy getting better is not mutually exclusive with changes in the way society views living with your parents.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

DemeaninDemon posted:

That's only half true. Mormons are very judgemental, snobby pricks when they're around other Mormons. They're also nice about it though so it's hard to see through their smug poo poo.
I mean, the capacity to at least be genial with others who are unlike them in public still puts them ahead of a bunch of people, even if they talk them down in private.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

DemeaninDemon posted:

That's only half true. Mormons are very judgemental, snobby pricks when they're around other Mormons. They're also nice about it though so it's hard to see through their smug poo poo.

I had a Mormon coworker, and they basically treated everyone with a kind of tolerance that equated to thinking they were stupid for not being Mormon because it was the obvious right choice.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Fiction posted:

The economy getting better is not mutually exclusive with changes in the way society views living with your parents.

except 'changes in the way society views living with your parents' has a lot more to do with the fact that all of the employment gains we've seen post-2008 have been lovely jobs that either pay terrible or have bad hours more than it has to do with any changes in American culture

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

this_is_hard posted:

except 'changes in the way society views living with your parents' has a lot more to do with the fact that all of the employment gains we've seen post-2008 have been lovely jobs that either pay terrible or have bad hours more than it has to do with any changes in American culture

This is said a lot, but I don't believe I've ever seen data backing that up (regarding job types).

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

THANK YOU!

I thought I was the only one who felt this way and that I was the crazy one. It's like there's this elephant in the room of deepening income inequality, stagnant wages, etc. and yet NPR et al are acting all optimistic about the economy getting better. It's practically willful ignorance from the way the media portrays the economy now.

The mean household income of NPR's audience is over $80k/yr. The economy is doing pretty well for them.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

this_is_hard posted:

except 'changes in the way society views living with your parents' has a lot more to do with the fact that all of the employment gains we've seen post-2008 have been lovely jobs that either pay terrible or have bad hours more than it has to do with any changes in American culture

Yes, this. Plus, it seems there's a general consensus that "Oh well, this is the New Normal. The economy's better now, let's move on."

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

computer parts posted:

This is said a lot, but I don't believe I've ever seen data backing that up (regarding job types).

Just this year, the economy stabilized to the point where lower-wage jobs began showing growth proportional to their share of the economy (source). Before that, the growth of middle-wage jobs lagged behind the growth of low- and high- wage jobs (source). On top of that, a disproportionate number of middle- and higher-wage jobs were lost in the initial recession (source).

The end result is that lower-wage industries now represent a higher proportion of the total job market, and middle-wage jobs represent a lower proportion.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

This is a pro-read. The named cabinet officers had me in terrified laughter. And the final punchline is Associate Justice Ted Cruz

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Antti posted:

This is a pro-read. The named cabinet officers had me in terrified laughter. And the final punchline is Associate Justice Ted Cruz

Don't forget the KOUTIE shots.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

John Roberts sees no reason to think that this man's side job would influence his role as a legislator. :colbert:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Another DA providing cover for a ridiculous shooting.

Article: DA plays dash cam video in accidental shooting; no charges will be filed
From: Action News Now
Date: December 10, 2015

Watch the shooting (1:03) before reading the DA's statement, which is quoted below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmK8Ify3vi8&t=20s

Ramsey said Feaster drew his gun when Thomas popped out of the car, believing he would flee. As Officer Feaster moved towards Thomas, the gun discharged and struck Thomas in the neck. The shot hit Thomas in the C7 and T1 vertebrae and could lead to him being paralyzed for life.

When backup arrived on the scene, Feaster did not mention anything about having fired his weapon.
According to Ramsey, Feaster notified his commanding officer about the discharge only after Thomas gunshot wound was found.

As the commanding officer suggested an investigator return to Canteena and try to find out if Thomas had been shot at the bar, Feaster revealed that he may have shot Thomas.

Ramsey said nearly 11 minutes passed before any other officers, medics or firefighters learned Thomas had been shot.

According to Ramsey, several factors led investigators to believe the shooting was accidental. The dash cam video shows Officer Feaster was not prepared for and was surprised by the guns firing. The pistol discharges in mid-stride and the officer both flinches his head to the right and does a stutter step indicative of an officer not prepared for nor intentionally firing his pistol. Additionally, officers normally train to fire a minimum of two shots. There was no second shot and the officer immediately holstered his weapon after the discharge.

In a media release, Ramsey said His (Officer Feasters) reaction on the dash cam video and his statements to protocol investigators confirm an honest belief that he did not intentionally fire his pistol.

What happened here is something went wrong.

*ends investigation*

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Dec 12, 2015

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Accretionist posted:

From: Action News Now
Date: December 10, 2015

Watch the shooting (1:03) before reading the DA's statement, which is quoted below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmK8Ify3vi8&t=20s

What happened here is something went wrong.

*ends investigation*

enjoy the video as the dude scans the ground around the car for his casing while the person he shot in the neck is half dead in the car

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I liked him reaching for his gun a second time, then reaching for his taser and then radioing in that the suspect is refusing to get out of the vehicle.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Textbook.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Accretionist posted:

From: Action News Now
Date: December 10, 2015

Watch the shooting (1:03) before reading the DA's statement, which is quoted below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmK8Ify3vi8&t=20s

What happened here is something went wrong.

*ends investigation*

Even with video evidence, they still try to pull this crap? I don't know if I should be angered about them sticking to the same old good old boy-eqsue system, or if I should be impressed by the sheer audacity. Probably the former.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Accretionist posted:

From: Action News Now
Date: December 10, 2015

Watch the shooting (1:03) before reading the DA's statement, which is quoted below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmK8Ify3vi8&t=20s

What happened here is something went wrong.

*ends investigation*

"The gun discharged and struck Thomas in the neck."

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Unless "people" in this instance refers to a police officer. Then the gun has a mind of its own.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

THANK YOU!

I thought I was the only one who felt this way and that I was the crazy one. It's like there's this elephant in the room of deepening income inequality, stagnant wages, etc. and yet NPR et al are acting all optimistic about the economy getting better. It's practically willful ignorance from the way the media portrays the economy now.

I have noticed this a lot with NPR, or APM's Marketplace. But the truth is that from the perspective of their paymasters (huge corporations), it is getting better. They just need us to keep buying stuff so the facade doesn't slip.

Another thing NPR is really obnoxious about : Trump. They insist on covering him as though he was just another candidate. They don't interview people who say "holy poo poo Trump is a racist pandering buffoon" and discuss how he has surged to the top simply by discarding coded language. The closest I heard to critical coverage of Trump was yesterday when they were covering New Hampshire and they were interviewing Trump supporters. Just the most noxious, filthy people you could imagine. They were talking to some 70 year old guy who was like "I support Trump wanting to keep the Muslims out, but it's going to be unconstitutional if you just come out and say that. You should ban them by country, Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan. Then it won't be unconstitutional. You just have to think a little bit." I'm sure NPR tells itself that just by covering these people they are revealing Trump, but it's not enough.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Merry Christmas Timmy, here is your first Jack-in-the-Box.

Thanks daddy *turns handle*

Pop!

*shoots clown in neck, throws in trash*

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

NPR caters to their demo. I mean more than 3/4 of their listeners earn 50K+ HHI with 1/2 earning 75K+.
So listeners probably have reason to be cheerful these days.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

SedanChair posted:

"I support Trump wanting to keep the Muslims out, but it's going to be unconstitutional if you just come out and say that. You should ban them by country, Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan. Then it won't be unconstitutional. You just have to think a little bit."

This is actual legislation that Rand Paul introduced. It was voted down 10-89 in the Senate.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Was that a white dude that the police officer shot?

Well at least they are playing the same game with this incident. Equality at last!!!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

comes along bort posted:

The mean household income of NPR's audience is over $80k/yr. The economy is doing pretty well for them.

This becomes a lot more concrete each spring with NPR's annual "the things parents have to do to get their kids into college" story.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tobermory posted:

Just this year, the economy stabilized to the point where lower-wage jobs began showing growth proportional to their share of the economy (source). Before that, the growth of middle-wage jobs lagged behind the growth of low- and high- wage jobs (source). On top of that, a disproportionate number of middle- and higher-wage jobs were lost in the initial recession (source).

The end result is that lower-wage industries now represent a higher proportion of the total job market, and middle-wage jobs represent a lower proportion.

But so do higher wage jobs, apparently.

Also, your first link has construction as a "middle wage" job, which probably is not a normal circumstance outside of a housing bubble.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 12, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's Happening *waves arms*

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Joementum posted:

It's Happening *waves arms*

oh this is delicious. i hope this moves out internet comments and some assholes start parroting it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Joementum posted:

It's Happening *waves arms*

He's going to shave it off by New Years.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

It's Happening *waves arms*

So Muslim is the new Communist and Trump is the new McCarthy, right?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

AlternateNu posted:

He's going to shave it off by New Years.

No Shave November: A Muslim Plot.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Accretionist posted:

From: Action News Now
Date: December 10, 2015

Watch the shooting (1:03) before reading the DA's statement, which is quoted below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmK8Ify3vi8&t=20s

What happened here is something went wrong.

*ends investigation*
*deliberately points gun at suspect, fires*

"I don't understand, how do guns work????"

They aren't even acknowledging the fact that the officer has no reaction whatsoever when the gun discharges. If it was an accident you would have to assume he wouldn't continue approaching the guy like a Terminator.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It looks like an accidental discharge to me. In fact, I don't think he realized he hit the guy, because he only mentions discharging his firearm when they discover that he was shot in the neck. He might have gotten away with the stray, he's thinking. It looks like a negligent, incompetent cop got caught flat footed when he was handed more than a routine DUI ticket. He might have been drunk himself.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Joementum posted:

It's Happening *waves arms*

what secrets hide behind the beard

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nice touch there with the German Koran to make it even more foreign sounding

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Martin Random posted:

It looks like an accidental discharge to me. In fact, I don't think he realized he hit the guy, because he only mentions discharging his firearm when they discover that he was shot in the neck. He might have gotten away with the stray, he's thinking. It looks like a negligent, incompetent cop got caught flat footed when he was handed more than a routine DUI ticket. He might have been drunk himself.

Being caught flat-footed usually only means an AC and Reflex penalty I thought? Haven't played since 3.5e.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Joementum posted:

It's Happening *waves arms*

Hahaha. Did these nutjobs forget that just 3 years ago, he was the GOP Vice Presidential nominee? Now he's the Islamic Manchurian candidate?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Riosan posted:

Hahaha. Did these nutjobs forget that just 3 years ago, he was the GOP Vice Presidential nominee?

I think that's actually a point against him.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Riosan posted:

Hahaha. Did these nutjobs forget that just 3 years ago, he was the GOP Vice Presidential nominee? Now he's the Islamic Manchurian candidate?

He lost, therefore he's GOPe RINO scum who probably collaborates with the Democratic Muslim Atheist committee to oppose Trump/Carson 2016, the True Saviors.

God, I've been reading the Freeper thread too long.

  • Locked thread