Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Is there a way of cycling through appendage targets, other the spinning the camera and hitting R hoping to lock on something against giant creatures?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So finally get a look at who the head badguy is and Grandmaster Luxaar, would you kindly stop undulating your scrotum at the underlings? And the visiting dignitaries under your command? It's very unbecoming.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
This is the second Nintendo game this year where humanity gets annihilated and Squid people either replace them or are responsible for it.:tinfoil:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I just picked this up and holy poo poo there is a FUCKTON of information on the screen at any given point. OP is not kidding to read the manual. I played the other Xenoblade Chronicles on n3ds (well, most of it - I didn't finish it for some reason) and I'm so friggen confused especially with gear. Time to read the manual again I guess.

Edit: Also tiny loving fonts even on a 60" tv.

ssb fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 12, 2015

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Lessail posted:

I've been taking my time and just saved the Ma-non and holy poo poo their voices

I cannot believe that's what they went with.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
What does KAAAAAAAAAATSU mean?

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

horriblePencilist posted:

What does KAAAAAAAAAATSU mean?
it's like a Japanese deep-fried breaded meat, if there's another meaning I don't know about it

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

AfroGunsou posted:

tatsu keeps saying i collect new thing when i certainly have not collect new thing. could me having zero of a collectible at the time and then picking one up be triggering these notifications or is the potato boy broken and i just need to shut him off forever

also is scouting people from out in the world exactly the same as if i scouted them from teh console? still have to pay a fee and everything?

That's just a message for picking something up, it has nothing to do with if it's an item you haven't seen before unfortunately.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Thing oneshots mechs for days. What's a good place to level to 40?

If you have a team of Skells, you can warp to the Aaroy Plains marker in Oblivia (Beware of that rear end in a top hat level 65 Tyrant wandering around), to the southwest of it is a base with level 58-60 Rebel Kaiser Qmaevas and level 53-55 Master Pugliths that you can easily gang up on one by one and killed for loads of exp. I recommend attacking from behind and loading up with whatever you can to raise your accuracy, make sure to run for it if the first blow doesn't stagger them so you can use Bind.

-

So I've got questions that I couldn't find the answer to in the manual or elsewhere. First off, what skills actually work while you're in your Skell? Synchrony obviously does, but the melee combo skills don't, and I can't tell if the damage type and enemy type damage boosters work. Second off, when you put an augment on a weapon for your Skell, like say 'Prevents damage reflection of (x) type 100% of the time', does that affect all your weapons or just the one it's on?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Little advice for when you get called upon to make emergency helicopter repairs; Attach the Blue Wire to the main rotor :ohdear:.

I'm pretty sure what result you get is random or determined by something else. Because I went blue wire and one of them (the guy) still died.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What drops the homura? chapter 9 boss? Does savescumming for the drop work?

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Echophonic posted:

I'm pretty sure what result you get is random or determined by something else. Because I went blue wire and one of them (the guy) still died.

There's a conversation you can hear in the hangers area before taking that mission that gives you the info for fixing the copter, it's probably necessary for the best end to the quest.

There's actually a number of quests that use this same mechanic actually, so I recommend just wandering around and listening to all the conversations you can find if you want to resolve things the best you can.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

shortspecialbus posted:

I just picked this up and holy poo poo there is a FUCKTON of information on the screen at any given point. OP is not kidding to read the manual. I played the other Xenoblade Chronicles on n3ds (well, most of it - I didn't finish it for some reason) and I'm so friggen confused especially with gear. Time to read the manual again I guess.

Edit: Also tiny loving fonts even on a 60" tv.

Gear just doesn't seem all that important compared to most RPGs. You can totally (almost) get away with letting your party members wear whatever. My party is in its 30's and some stuff I swear I haven't upgraded in 20 levels. Just please don't do what I do and try to upgrade on an hourly basis, because you are going to waste a lot of time and have less fun. I'd say the best course of action is, wait until you get curbstomped by a boss or particular area/set of enemies, and then see what you can do about gear.

vaguely posted:

it's like a Japanese deep-fried breaded meat, if there's another meaning I don't know about it

I know this to be true because I once went to a Japanese restaurant and asked if they served "tonkatsu" ramen. The appropriate term is "tonkotsu" ramen. Tonkatsu ramen does not exist.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Eopia posted:

Second off, when you put an augment on a weapon for your Skell, like say 'Prevents damage reflection of (x) type 100% of the time', does that affect all your weapons or just the one it's on?

I'd imagine you'd put that on like the G-buster to prevent certain enemies/tyrants from reflecting gravity damage. That seems highly situational though.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

What do the circles around the detection icons mean? That those enemies are extra perceptive of sight/sound?

Also when you lose your skell insurance and actually have to pay to revive it, is the price based on the frame you're using, or is it based on the frame and everything you have equipped to it?

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 12, 2015

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'd imagine you'd put that on like the G-buster to prevent certain enemies/tyrants from reflecting gravity damage. That seems highly situational though.

If you use anything with electric, thermal, beam, or ether damage when fighting Telethia Plume you had better have one of those augments or you're in for a bad time.

Oh right, a third question. Do augments stack? If I put two thermal damage increasing augments on my Frame, will they both add to my damage or just the highest value one?

Cirina fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 12, 2015

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dawnfire posted:

So, been trying to find out where the rexoskell actually is to farm it for parts. I've been led to believe it's underneath the cathedral in cauldros behind the red shielded cave and that the only way to get there is through Mia's recruitment quest. Been having a super hard time unlocking the prerequisite missions, though. Anyone got a clue or suggestion?

Alright, I spent a long time figuring this out. There's a lady hanging out near the East Gate in Admin District, Surialla or something. Chat to her once, after Chapter 7. Then after doing Lara Nara's other two missions, he'll have one for you in front of the BLADE Tower. Following that, head over to the spot in Industrial District that you went to during that quest and follow that chain through to the end, you'll fight Rexoskell. After that you can fight it in Time Attack as much as you'd like.

You'll get the Lv60 Megaflame plan and I think it unlocks Mia's quest by giving you access to those red barriers.

Suspicious Cook posted:

I cannot believe that's what they went with.

They suck helium in Japan too :shh:

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What drops the homura? chapter 9 boss? Does savescumming for the drop work?

It does drop that, and you can just do the time attack version of the fight for the drops. Though it can be really annoying since they don't let you use your Skell in that.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
What's everyone's favorite tyrant name? "Megatonne the Hell Express" is definitely up there for me.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

enojy posted:

Gear just doesn't seem all that important compared to most RPGs. You can totally (almost) get away with letting your party members wear whatever. My party is in its 30's and some stuff I swear I haven't upgraded in 20 levels. Just please don't do what I do and try to upgrade on an hourly basis, because you are going to waste a lot of time and have less fun. I'd say the best course of action is, wait until you get curbstomped by a boss or particular area/set of enemies, and then see what you can do about gear.

I know this to be true because I once went to a Japanese restaurant and asked if they served "tonkatsu" ramen. The appropriate term is "tonkotsu" ramen. Tonkatsu ramen does not exist.

This is somewhat unfortunate because one of the things I always like in RPG's is trying to min/max gear to a point. But you're probably right in this case. Either way I'm really loving confused by the item management screen and the manual is not much help. There are just so many stats that I have no loving clue what ones matter.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.
This game's design is such a tug of war. At one end there's fast travel, an option to lower the level of a boss that's wrecking you outright (3 wipes and 5 levels down), the ability to save anywhere, and a well-detailed map. At the other end, there's someone who must have been on the design team due to a lost bet or a commitment or some sort of favor being called in who thinks MMOs from the 2000s are the one true faith.

It's like a constant internal struggle between a game that wants to have quality of life stuff for the player and keep them engaged, and a game that makes bottomless demands and expects a sacrifice.

This game has multiple personality disorder. It's rare when you see a game do so many things right and so many things wrong at the same time. So far, it's leaning a bit more towards the former for me, though I don't blame anyone at all for thinking more of the latter.

deepshock fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 12, 2015

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
All viewpoints:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHbTI_ixsMg

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Man, giving Nagi L's clothes is fantastic.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

horriblePencilist posted:

What's everyone's favorite tyrant name? "Megatonne the Hell Express" is definitely up there for me.

B-Rock "The Islamic Shock" Heussein Superallah Obama

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Ugh. I've confirmed that the damage reflection augments need to be on the weapon you don't want getting reflected, so you need a copy for each for your Skells.

Edit: Nevermind! I was an idiot who mistook what damage type their weapon was, and I've tested the damage reflection mods by putting a negate ether reflection mod on my sidearm, and it worked for my ether damage art that was on a different part.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 12, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Motherfucker, I just realized why the big Lifehold parts look so familiar. Dark blue Zohars. :downs:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Just beat chapter 3, around level 16 or 17. Was wondering, when should I start worrying about getting good great? I've just been clicking "equip best" and it doesn't seem like I have enough mats right now to really get good assignments or worry about it. Nothing I see in the store seems to be better than the random drops and mission rewards I'm getting, and that's after upgrading my corporations to level 3.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm trying to get 15% on the survey map percentage (or whatever it is called) so I can go to Story Mission 4, but I find it very difficult. It seems that all of the treasure that I have to find in the hexes are beyond my level and all of the tyrants are as well. Am I missing something here? I feel that I am exploring the game's world very throughly.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I just realized I like the Manon more than I would otherwise simply because their theme song is so rad. It is funky fresh as gently caress.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm trying to get 15% on the survey map percentage (or whatever it is called) so I can go to Story Mission 4, but I find it very difficult. It seems that all of the treasure that I have to find in the hexes are beyond my level and all of the tyrants are as well. Am I missing something here? I feel that I am exploring the game's world very throughly.

Do the objectives in each hex.

Or, just play dodge dick with the mobs and open more waypoints. I had nearly 30% of Noctilum and Oblivia before I even got a skell.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

victrix posted:

I just realized I like the Manon more than I would otherwise simply because their theme song is so rad. It is funky fresh as gently caress.

the ma-non are actually really rad whenever you can't hear their voices

the only xenos i still strongly dislike so far are the nopon because they're a bunch of huge assholes who think being cute lets them get away with anything

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Do the objectives in each hex.

Or, just play dodge dick with the mobs and open more waypoints. I had nearly 30% of Noctilum and Oblivia before I even got a skell.

How do I open more waypoints?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
The post-battle conversations between characters are a huge step up from "Good thing I was here! No? Anyone?"

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Looper posted:

the ma-non are actually really rad whenever you can't hear their voices

the only xenos i still strongly dislike so far are the nopon because they're a bunch of huge assholes who think being cute lets them get away with anything

but that's why they're cool. i love that the token cute race are a bunch of self-serving pricks.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

punk rebel ecks posted:

How do I open more waypoints?

It's just running around and finding areas. Generally landmarks but not always.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

:yeah:

My story progress has ground to a halt after getting my Skell. It's too much fun to drive around in a sick robot motocycle finding stuff to fight and loot.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Does every hex have a landmark, or just some?

When you're exploring, this game doesn't strictly follow traditional "the further you go, the tougher the enemies" structure. It mostly adheres to that, but a few times I've gotten through an area full of high level creatures and then found myself in an area that was my level. Don't be afraid to explore and push through.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Inferno is the skell everyone recommends to buy first, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Echophonic posted:

:yeah:

My story progress has ground to a halt after getting my Skell. It's too much fun to drive around in a sick robot motocycle finding stuff to fight and loot.

The sheer magnitude of things to do in this game is insane. I think I've put 15 hours in just doing whatever after getting the skell lol.

• Locked thread