Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

I've done 2 pure strider runs and they're great for the jumping off cliffs without taking damage, double jump, etc. This time around I guess I'll roll mage and get a pawn to learn off of me, maybe do as many quests as possible so the pawn can help people out. Also makes it easier to dragon forge the pawn's gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Ranger is the only class I've yet to really play. So I'll probably go for that. Will romance the female bandit leader.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm going to romance Feste, like I do every run

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I end up getting Selene almost every time :negative:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Nasgate posted:

Ranger is the only class I've yet to really play. So I'll probably go for that. Will romance the female bandit leader.

you're going to get the child by accident

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

That's one of the many mechanics that hopefully people don't find out in advance and we hear great stories about.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm gonna do a balanced-stat Mystic Knight run. Starting as a Fighter, splitting the pre-100 levels between Ranger, Assassin, and Mystic Knight, then splitting the 100-200 between Sorcerer and Mystic Knight. I'll end up with about 4100 HP, 3800 ST, and about 520 each Attack and Magick. It's not "optimal" but it lets me be good at everything Mystic Knight can do while also getting to play as an array of classes I enjoy, so I think it'll work out pretty nicely.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

That's one of the many mechanics that hopefully people don't find out in advance and we hear great stories about.

MASTERWORKS ALL ARISEN, NOW GET IN BED.

e: My body is so ready for this.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Jose posted:

you're going to get the child by accident

I know sometimes people refer to Selene as a child even though she is clearly a young adult and is also hundreds of years old, but it is pretty hosed up that you can also get Fournival's fat, moon-faced 8-year-old daughter I mean she's not even hot

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

if I could, I'd romance a goblin

that poo poo would be funny

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 12, 2015

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Magus42 posted:

I did a less than optimal MA on console, so I'm going to do the Mage>Sorc>MA this time.

There was a reddit(?, may have been gamefaqs) post about best builds for LV 200 stats, I only really remember the MAX ATK/DEF one which is 1-10 Strider, 11-100, Assassin, 101-200 MK. I'll see if I can find the post.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

if your dude is level 200 you've already beaten the game 70 times and it doesn't matter what stats you have

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i never touched lvl 100 in any of my playthroughs, spending all that time optimising stats for a build sounds really boring

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i never touched lvl 100 in any of my playthroughs, spending all that time optimising stats for a build sounds really boring

On hard mode getting to 200 is pretty easy and takes about 25 to 30 hours from start to finish. You just need to be willing to grind dragons... a lot. They give like 140K EXPon hard, that gets you to 170 pretty easy than you can just plow through BBI to get to Damon which you should be about 180-185ish when you clear it twice. Damon gives 2 Mil EXP a fight with a pilgrim's charm. You'll get 2 levels a fight till 195 than it's just a fight= a level.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

It's pretty pointless yeah. If you go through BBI both times you'll probably just end up being a bit over 100. The only way you're gonna get higher is if you grind which is kinda worthless.

Neo Helbeast posted:

On hard mode getting to 200 is pretty easy and takes about 25 to 30 hours from start to finish. You just need to be willing to grind dragons... a lot. They give like 140K EXPon hard, that gets you to 170 pretty easy than you can just plow through BBI to get to Damon which you should be about 180-185ish when you clear it twice. Damon gives 2 Mil EXP a fight with a pilgrim's charm. You'll get 2 levels a fight till 195 than it's just a fight= a level.

Again, only if you grind. Also Hard Mode is pretty garbage.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Neo Helbeast posted:

There was a reddit(?, may have been gamefaqs) post about best builds for LV 200 stats, I only really remember the MAX ATK/DEF one which is 1-10 Strider, 11-100, Assassin, 101-200 MK. I'll see if I can find the post.

I'm not too worried about getting the absolute max out of it I can, I just want more magic damage this time around :)

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Hard Mode's way more fun than normal imo. I did back to back playthroughs of both and you get so many discipline points that I ended up mastering 7 of the vocations after 1 run and both times through bitterblack on my hard character. It's kind of tough early on but it definitely evens out around Gran Soren.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
The secret best way to play is of course to dive into BBI as soon as you get your pawn and never leave.

Optional objectives:

- No level grinding allowed, kill Gazer at max level 15 and zombie pope around 35-40.
- No twink pawns
- No ricochet spam

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

mirarant posted:

The secret best way to play is of course to dive into BBI as soon as you get your pawn and never leave.

Optional objectives:

- No level grinding allowed, kill Gazer at max level 15 and zombie pope around 35-40.
- No twink pawns
- No ricochet spam

Basically, yeah. BBI is the strongest point, and while it takes a little doing, is perfectly playable from level 1. It quickly becomes manageable in normal fashion by the time you hit zombie pope, especially if you do a small handful of cursed item chest runs to get some gear, or cash for gear from Barroch.

Only hang up is getting an Everfall/first tier DA weapon so you can actually start damaging things, but it isn't strictly necessary, and usually you will blunder upon one either way.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

if your dude is level 200 you've already beaten the game 70 times and it doesn't matter what stats you have

This is why I wish they'd add like a Super Hard Mode or NG++ or something. I actually liked taking my first dude to 200 but I would've liked something to do with him at that point.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm going to romance Feste, like I do every run

My first time through the game, I just decided to give a shitload of skulls to the gardener in the castle (too much PBR, and I thought it was funny), and then I forgot about it. When the dragon was like 'Here is your beloved', and that poor gardener motherfucker was there, I was super confused. Heart this game.

EDIT: Is there a PS4 version of this thing coming? I'm a computerman in my actual life job, and I don't like spending time in front of a PC recreationally.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 13, 2015

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

if I could, I'd romance a goblin

that poo poo would be funny

If there is any modding, this will happen. At worst it's a simple model swap.

Actually, swap all humans and goblins. Completely change the game.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Nasgate posted:

If there is any modding, this will happen. At worst it's a simple model swap.

Actually, swap all humans and goblins. Completely change the game.

"S-stupid hyoomin, it's not like I wrecked this cart for you or anything!"

SlippyFists
Jul 16, 2007

To The Flowers of Time!

Warriors are coming to DDON and they look rad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvXOuvPuwAQ

Also what's coming in 1.2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4arASYA7qSY

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

SlippyFists posted:

So... is this game at a point where it's worth going through a VPN and dealing with an untranslated UI to play? Because I want to play this a lot

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

SlippyFists posted:

NIce that they let warriors actually do something while mounting the monsters.
The real question is whether or not they'll get to use eight skills at a time or not.

Also, they added immolate :yeah:

FutonForensic posted:

So... is this game at a point where it's worth going through a VPN and dealing with an untranslated UI to play? Because I want to play this a lot
I think there's been a basic translation patch for some things? I don't know if it covers stuff like the UI.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

FutonForensic posted:

It'll still take some effort on your part, but there are infographics out there for skills and the options menu, as well as communities of English-speaking players who have done most of the hard work of translating or guessing at quests. You can probably get pretty far with just those.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Vargs posted:

I end up getting Selene almost every time :negative:
Oh, just pick her up and throw her off the pier after she shows up in your house. That resets affinity.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
I woo people by giving them skulls.

It's how I stole the queen from king crazy.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Alright, for the new people here who are jumping into this for the first time, here is a very important video that is IMO, an essential watch for anyone going into Dragon's Dogma, even veterans should watch as they will learn a thing or two from this.

Bonus: Combat Montage // Spell Montage.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Less than a month away and even in its original form it's everything I could have hoped for :allears:

Now how about capcom doing this: "Steam workshop support announced!"

It is definitely not going to happen but I'd die.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

That video reminds me: they should make a mod so the mystic knight class actually holds the shield in his hand like the fighter instead of the weird insta-draw thing they do.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Im_Special posted:

Alright, for the new people here who are jumping into this for the first time, here is a very important video that is IMO, an essential watch for anyone going into Dragon's Dogma, even veterans should watch as they will learn a thing or two from this.

Those spells look so wrong :ohdear: maelstrom and bolide should last like forever while you enjoy each individual frame of the monster squealing. Maybe grab yourself a sandwich.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Im_Special posted:

I am unreasonably hyped about this. I've already played this game to death and I'm so ready to do it again.

Dragon's Dogma is just distilled fun in video game form. (I will, however, use whatever stupid PC cheats anyone comes up with to help deal with random chest contents in Everfall/BBI without having to tediously save scum. That's like the only issue I have with the game at all.)

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Im_Special posted:

What the gently caress, melee classes can only get one apple but sorcerers can get three? This is bullshit

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Wrist Watch posted:

What the gently caress, melee classes can only get one apple but sorcerers can get three? This is bullshit

Bow and staff users get the eggs, but melee classes get to eat poo poo.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Shear Modulus posted:

That video reminds me: they should make a mod so the mystic knight class actually holds the shield in his hand like the fighter instead of the weird insta-draw thing they do.

Please do this. Nothing bothered me more about that class.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

pre-order info is dropping: http://store.steampowered.com/app/367500

quote:

Pre-order now to receive the following:

Digital art book – A complete replica of the Dragon’s Dogma Official Design Works. Over 300 pages of content after content that chronicles the development artwork behind this expansive setting including characters, lore, creatures, and weapon designs, plus rough sketches, key visuals, and plenty of creator commentary. A must-read for any Dragon’s Dogma fan! (Print edition also available on Amazon at $44.99)

Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen Masterworks Collection - the awe-inspiring digital soundtrack contains 53 songs including a handful of alternate versions not included in the game. The 2+ hour soundtrack has been reauthored from the original source material, and the pre-purchase bonus includes both MP3 (320Kbps/16-bit/48KHz) and FLAC (24-bit/48KHz) lossless formats. (Total download size: 1.74GB)

January 15th release date

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I am so broke at the moment I can't even buy dirt, but if I get Christmas money it's on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

full faq is up as well: http://steamcommunity.com/app/367500/discussions/0/487877107137271918/

• Locked thread