Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

ninjahedgehog posted:

Good news, my Christmas gift to myself finally arrived!

(pic)
Now ask me if I know the first thing about modeling :shepicide:
Sup AC kit buddy.....this guy arrived too and I dont know poo poo about miniature building either...
I started with the Galm 1 F-15 and already got a drip of cement on the exterior :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I was so confused watching episode 4 when someone said that you'd be worried/in trouble if F-35s showed up.

Then I realised this was probably before they had a flight capable version and we learnt that the F-35 is utter garbage.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Psion posted:

Crow if you had a choice between a sourdough, potato, french, onion, poppyseed, or some other kind of roll which would you take

Stay away from the Dutch rolls for this LP

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Skwerl posted:

Sup AC kit buddy.....this guy arrived too and I dont know poo poo about miniature building either...
I started with the Galm 1 F-15 and already got a drip of cement on the exterior :smithicide:

I was seriously considering this one, but only if they had a 1/144 prepainted Mobius 1 Raptor (or maybe Yellow 4) to go with it. Godspeed, fellow modeling nugget. When you finish building it, please include yourself wearing that awesome helmet in the picture.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Psion posted:

Crow if you had a choice between a sourdough, potato, french, onion, poppyseed, or some other kind of roll which would you take

Those are all great. Why would you make him choose?!?!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Blind Sally posted:

Those are all great. Why would you make him choose?!?!

hey it's a multi-role plane, not crow gets multi(ple) rolls. The land of Strangereal is harsh. :colbert:

e: I'm pretty sad I missed the opportunity for a barrel roll joke in this whole thing but oh well.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

A handy guide.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Skwerl posted:

You can get the cement off with acetone and a cotton swab, don't trip.

Nice Yellow 13, I've always liked the Su-37's mean look. The canards and large exposed engine nacelles really look awesome.

Veloxyll posted:

I was so confused watching episode 4 when someone said that you'd be worried/in trouble if F-35s showed up.

Then I realised this was probably before they had a flight capable version and we learnt that the F-35 is utter garbage.

They've always been rather OP in Ace Combat games, I fear its for that exact reason. They're going off LockMart's data sheet and advertisements instead of real world performance. Then again, their F-22's don't kill you randomly with oxygen failures either.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

AirborneNinja posted:

A handy guide.

hahahah YES. This is fantastic.

Also note the aileron roll, which is what 99% of people think is a barrel roll. Not true! Starfox, of course, is to blame for ... uh, well, most people reading this thread at any rate.

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

The Casualty posted:

You can get the cement off with acetone and a cotton swab, don't trip.

Nice Yellow 13, I've always liked the Su-37's mean look. The canards and large exposed engine nacelles really look awesome.

They've always been rather OP in Ace Combat games, I fear its for that exact reason. They're going off LockMart's data sheet and advertisements instead of real world performance. Then again, their F-22's don't kill you randomly with oxygen failures either.

Oh, the glue actually ate off bits of pre-applied paint job they had, it's not super serious so I THINK I can wing it at the weathering stage, fingers crossed.

Also ninjahedgehog, there was indeed a pre-painted mobius 1 that was released about 2 years ago

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

AirborneNinja posted:

A handy guide.

:captainpop:

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...
Sorry if you guys have issues with me derailing this thread into ACZ: The Modeling Thread

Ninjahedgehog, I was playing with my Cipher kit earlier and what I found is that these pre-painted kits are very good for weathering/further detailing.
I tried some tamiya weathering kit along with water color pencil, sakura pigma micron pen, and then did some washes with 70% ethanol on q-tips. I got some pretty good result so far.

The dirty Utsio mercenary dog...

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Skwerl posted:

Ninjahedgehog, I was playing with my Cipher kit earlier and what I found is that these pre-painted kits are very good for weathering/further detailing.
I tried some tamiya weathering kit along with water color pencil, sakura pigma micron pen, and then did some washes with 70% ethanol on q-tips. I got some pretty good result so far.

Yeah, that does look pretty good, but this is literally the first kit I've ever made since a couple of SnapTites when I was a 10 years old and no loving way am I risking it. I'm buying a cheapass kit this weekend to practice my gluing on.

What sort of missile loadout are you planning on? I'm thinking two Sidewinders and two QAAMS under the wings and then the four AMRAAMs underneath the fuselage, but I haven't decided on the external fuel tanks yet. Each Eagle comes with four Sparrows too, but for some reason they're unpainted.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 12, 2015

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Skwerl posted:

Sorry if you guys have issues with me derailing this thread into ACZ: The Modeling Thread

The dirty Utsio mercenary dog...

Yeah, looks about right. Now if only scale models leaked fuel, oil and hydraulic fluid into to-scale drip pans...

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Casualty posted:

Yeah, looks about right. Now if only scale models leaked fuel, oil and hydraulic fluid into to-scale drip pans...

I'm pretty sure you can buy those and then make the rest somehow. Wouldn't surprise me if there are guides for it somewhere at least at some scale modeller community.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

I'm pretty sure you can buy those and then make the rest somehow. Wouldn't surprise me if there are guides for it somewhere at least at some scale modeller community.

Doing all that at 1/144 sounds insane though. At that scale, a 6-foot tall man is about the size of Lincoln's head on a penny.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ninjahedgehog posted:

Doing all that at 1/144 sounds insane though. At that scale, a 6-foot tall man is about the size of Lincoln's head on a penny.

You say that and then I shall just quote some posts from the Scale modelling thread on DIY:

The Locator posted:

Looking good Greyhawk, before you know it you'll have something resembling a locomotive!

More Modelzona pictures.

This was the winner of "Peoples Choice", and first place in miscellaneous dioramas, but it was very difficult to photograph, as it was an internally lit shadowbox display. It is a 1/72 scale U-boat model that is chopped off just aft of the conning tower, and displayed being serviced in an underground U-boat pen. The detail was amazing, down to a tiny randomly flashing LED at the tip of a welders torch.

The Ships that I was competing with in the Surface Ship category.

The amazing 1/700 scale carrier with crewmen. This took 2nd place.

Third place went to this 1/700 Admiral Hipper class cruiser.

Plastic Revell model Nina with rigging and blocks from a wooden ship model company.

This small (1/700 I think) Warspite was this guys first model he said. Great start!

Missouri, 1/350 scale Tamiya - "Out of the Box" qualified (no PE or aftermarket parts or bashing).

These next 4 ships are all made by the same guy that made the castle up above. He is a professional model-maker who has his own business and makes his living making models.

The Locator posted:

Modelzona 2015 was Saturday the 7th (where I got the cool plaque for my ship). I have pictures!

I'll try to pick the best of the best and post them spread out, rather than dumping all of them at once (I took quite a few).

I took almost no pictures of cars, airplanes and tanks this year, I was just busy and didn't get around to it, so I only have a few that might have really caught my eye as I was walking past.

Dioramas.

"The Hour of the Gun" - Tombstone.

King Nine Will Not Return - The Twilight Zone

An airplane (in a diorama)!

Looks cold.

Seems like a strange place to fight.

Where did I drop that stupid bolt, dammit.

This one won "Best Diorama" I believe.

Scratch built castle? At least I don't think they make models of this.

Ambush! Poor dude on the left just got plugged in the heart.

Just chillin' with my aeroplane.

First place in AFV Dioramas.

Well crap.

Crowded bridge.

First place in Dioramas - Figures and Vignettes.

More to come.

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah, that does look pretty good, but this is literally the first kit I've ever made since a couple of SnapTites when I was a 10 years old and no loving way am I risking it. I'm buying a cheapass kit this weekend to practice my gluing on.

What sort of missile loadout are you planning on? I'm thinking two Sidewinders and two QAAMS under the wings and then the four AMRAAMs underneath the fuselage, but I haven't decided on the external fuel tanks yet. Each Eagle comes with four Sparrows too, but for some reason they're unpainted.

My amraam is unpainted too. As for weathering its really hard to go overboard since those material I listed wash off very easily. FYI this is my first serious attempt on a kit too.

I am planning to go with spare fuel tanks because they will look very nice after weathering/repainting. Honestly, I think most of the challenge comes from getting the appropriate references.

Edit: Done with the jet for now, going to start with the diorama when I have money again.

Skwerl fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 13, 2015

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Looks nice, pretty accurate weathering for a bird on deployment. It's pretty remarkable how dirty tactical aircraft start to look even though you're washing them thoroughly every 3-12 days depending on what you're doing... A fresh paint job only holds up its pure grey hue for maybe a month or two and they're back to being stained with fluids and grime from every seam and port, not to mention boot prints all over the dorsal fuselage.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Kadorhal posted:

Also as a more general note, this game continues surprising me. Not just in aces I'm still finding even after like my eighth playthrough, either; in my last two play-sessions I discovered, respectively, that there are even more brevity codes for weapons than I thought (I used the LAGM for a late-game mission and Eagle Eye properly called it with "Magnum"; 04 and 5 just used the "Fox" codes for every type of missile even though that's meant for air-to-air weapons only), and that even the missions like Juggernaut where you choose which variation you play have some differences in dialogue depending on your ace style, despite any implications otherwise with what I said in the videos for that mission about there technically being 52 missions (Pixy will say something about how he's guessing you want to protect the Kestrel in Operation Gelnikos as a Knight, but in my current new-game run through as a Mercenary he said something entirely different about killing everything).

Also, as I mentioned, I'm playing along with the LP now. Doing a new game as a Mercenary ace on Hard difficulty, and not upgrading to any new planes until I save up enough for a certain late-game fighter the game gives you a third of the way through.

Sorry to interrupt model chat (which is amazing by the way, really wish I had the time or money and space to get into fighter or warship modelling... Hell, I haven't really built anything model-y before except snap together Gundam model kits more than a decade back, which were pretty cheap but fun to do and don't really require any real work except following the instructions, instead of any serious gluing and painting, though I did help my friend put together a Baneblade from Warhammer 40k couple years back, which was cool too).

From last page, but I could've sworn I've heard AWACS Thunderhead calling "Magnum" before on an air to ground missile special weapon use before in Ace Combat 5. It's the details like that which make me love this series even more. Being a really run semi-realistic arcade-y flight sim that's really fun and kinda makes you get into the (semi-ridiculous over the top) plot and storylines somewhat also helps quite a lot!

Also, just curious, but what plane are you guys talking about here?

ninjahedgehog posted:

I know exactly which plane you're talking about, and even if you go full-on Mercenary and save every dime you have you can't actually afford it until several mission after it unlocks. :(
I've forgotten when planes unlock, and a brain fart isn't letting me recall off the top of my head which planes from the game would fit the bill in this case. Just stick it behind spoiler tags or whatever if you don't want to post it in the open here in the thread.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 14, 2015

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

GhostStalker posted:

I've forgotten when planes unlock, and a brain fart isn't letting me recall off the top of my head which planes from the game would fit the bill in this case. Just stick it behind spoiler tags or whatever if you don't want to post it in the open here in the thread.

Su-37 Terminator. You unlock it after defeating Gelb Squadron and it outclasses pretty much everything in the game except for possibly the Raptor, Berkut and the fictional superplanes.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

GhostStalker posted:

From last page, but I could've sworn I've heard AWACS Thunderhead calling "Magnum" before on an air to ground missile special weapon use before in Ace Combat 5.

He might, for all I know. It could be how you use the weapon, since I only ever used the LAGM for a sea-based mission, and only one early-game plane gets it in that game anyway so I never thought to use it in something more land-based. Alternately, I may not have noticed it in 5 simply because nobody ever shuts up long enough for the AWACS to get a word in.

And while we're at it I still need to check if the LASM also gets a proper brevity code rather than just sharing Fox Three.

Also, yeah, the Terminator is expensive. I was able to get it only three missions after I unlocked it, but I still had to stick with the F-1 for one more after that since I couldn't afford any SP weapons that I really needed for that one.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Kadorhal posted:

And while we're at it I still need to check if the LASM also gets a proper brevity code rather than just sharing Fox Three.

Curious: What would the proper code for a LASM be? Wikipedia says "Bruiser" for air-launched Harpoons, but doesn't specify if that's the actual launch code or just what you call it in flight, i.e. "Galm 1 just fired two bruisers."

EDIT: :goonsay:

GhostStalker posted:

From last page, but I could've sworn I've heard AWACS Thunderhead calling "Magnum" before on an air to ground missile special weapon use before in Ace Combat 5. It's the details like that which make me love this series even more. Being a really run semi-realistic arcade-y flight sim that's really fun and kinda makes you get into the (semi-ridiculous over the top) plot and storylines somewhat also helps quite a lot!

Yeah, he definitely does. I can't remember if Skyeye or Eagle Eye do the same.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 14, 2015

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

ninjahedgehog posted:

Curious: What would the proper code for a LASM be? Wikipedia says "Bruiser" for air-launched Harpoons, but doesn't specify if that's the actual launch code or just what you call it in flight, i.e. "Galm 1 just fired two bruisers."

"Bruiser" is the NATO code for any friendly air-launched anti-ship missile, be it an Exocet, Harpoon, Penguin, or even a Kh-22 (AS-4 Kitchen).

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah, he definitely does. I can't remember if Skyeye or Eagle Eye do the same.

Yeah, like I'd said I'd discovered Eagle Eye does. Sky Eye, though, is definitely a case of every missile-based special weapon just getting a Fox code. And usually not even a correct one, since I recall XMAAs and/or XLAAs being called with Fox One even though only the SAAM from 5 and later would actually fit that code. The hosed thing about it though is that he definitely does have a line for calling Fox Three, since he uses it in 5's Arcade mode.
:eng101:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Su-37 Terminator. You unlock it after defeating Gelb Squadron and it outclasses pretty much everything in the game except for possibly the Raptor, Berkut and the fictional superplanes.

Kadorhal posted:

Also, yeah, the Terminator is expensive. I was able to get it only three missions after I unlocked it, but I still had to stick with the F-1 for one more after that since I couldn't afford any SP weapons that I really needed for that one.

Ah, now I see, and yeah that plane does unlock really relatively early for a plane that powerful, but since Gelb flies it, it makes the most sense to unlock it there. I don't think I ever bought it because I wanted to snap up the US and NATO fourth-gen planes first and just use those, but I guess I can just load up my game where I have a ton of credits to buy it and take it out for a spin. It's stats are pretty beefy too, though I can usually get along just fine using an F-15 Eagle to deal with most encounters like Cipher is meant to do, though I did wind up using the F-22 a lot more as the final missions came knocking...

Kadorhal posted:

He might, for all I know. It could be how you use the weapon, since I only ever used the LAGM for a sea-based mission, and only one early-game plane gets it in that game anyway so I never thought to use it in something more land-based. Alternately, I may not have noticed it in 5 simply because nobody ever shuts up long enough for the AWACS to get a word in.

Kadorhal posted:

Yeah, like I'd said I'd discovered Eagle Eye does. Sky Eye, though, is definitely a case of every missile-based special weapon just getting a Fox code. And usually not even a correct one, since I recall XMAAs and/or XLAAs being called with Fox One even though only the SAAM from 5 and later would actually fit that code. The hosed thing about it though is that he definitely does have a line for calling Fox Three, since he uses it in 5's Arcade mode.
:eng101:
I think I remember AWACS Thunderhead calling "Magnum" for me on a XAGM launch from an A-10 Warthog when I used it in the mission where you fly air cover for the operation to establish a beachhead on Yukotobanian territory with a naval landing by Osean forces, which makes sense since those are meant to be AGM-65 Maverick missiles, and not for the use of an LASM, which I guess are AGM-84 Harpoons instead.. Don't think I've ever heard an AWACS call any brevity codes on LASM use, just a general acknowledgement that a missile was fired or that you launched an anti-ship missile or something like that.

As for XMAAs, I definitely remember AWACS SkyEye calling "Fox Three" on its use when I was playing Operation Katina in 5. I also remember other AWACS calling the same code, but I don't remember any examples of under what circumstances they did so.

ninjahedgehog posted:

I've heard AWACS calling "Pickle" before for a bomb drop (though I tend to use GPBs instead of regular UGBs since I can never get the timing on the latter right even with using the pipper and overlay on my HUD), but no use of "Bruiser" yet in the game. Maybe something to be added for 7 or a patch in Infinity?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

GhostStalker posted:

I think I remember AWACS Thunderhead calling "Magnum" for me on a XAGM launch from an A-10 Warthog when I used it in the mission where you fly air cover for the operation to establish a beachhead on Yukotobanian territory with a naval landing by Osean forces, which makes sense since those are meant to be AGM-65 Maverick missiles, and not for the use of an LASM, which I guess are AGM-84 Harpoons instead.

Still wrong, since the code for Mavericks is "Rifle".

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Gnoman posted:

Still wrong, since the code for Mavericks is "Rifle".

lol, that'll teach me to trust a game to get it right...

Apparently "Magnum" is supposed to be for anti-radiation missiles, which I don't think would actually fit any special weapon used in the Ace Combat series, but I do remember an AWACS calling it out before when I was running with an A-10 Warthog. Probably just someone at Project Aces failed to do their homework or whatever...

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

GhostStalker posted:

lol, that'll teach me to trust a game to get it right...

Apparently "Magnum" is supposed to be for anti-radiation missiles, which I don't think would actually fit any special weapon used in the Ace Combat series, but I do remember an AWACS calling it out before when I was running with an A-10 Warthog. Probably just someone at Project Aces failed to do their homework or whatever...

Some of the aircraft modeled in AC have used the AGM-88 HARM as an LAGM, such as the F-4G Wild Weasel in AC5. The Russian Kh-31P is the equivalent for eastern-bloc aircraft in the series. The LAGM doesn't function like an anti-radiation missile, instead it's basically long-range A2G missile with a large but weak blast radius, ideal for destroying ground convoys, AA clusters, or clumps of static light structures. You can technically use the LASM for the same thing but it delivers concentrated damage in a smaller blast. In fact, the two missiles get consolidated in later games since they're pretty redundant.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

The Casualty posted:

Some of the aircraft modeled in AC have used the AGM-88 HARM as an LAGM, such as the F-4G Wild Weasel in AC5. The Russian Kh-31P is the equivalent for eastern-bloc aircraft in the series. The LAGM doesn't function like an anti-radiation missile, instead it's basically long-range A2G missile with a large but weak blast radius, ideal for destroying ground convoys, AA clusters, or clumps of static light structures. You can technically use the LASM for the same thing but it delivers concentrated damage in a smaller blast. In fact, the two missiles get consolidated in later games since they're pretty redundant.

Huh, maybe that's what I heard "Magnum" used by AWACS Thunderhead for then. I do remember flying an F-4G in that campaign, though I was sure I was flying an A-10 Warthog when AWACS called it. Oh well, I'm probably misremembering then.

Also, I thought Wild Weasel was the mission name type, but I guess if you use F-4Gs for that kind of mission a lot, they'll pick up the same nickname from their pilots...

There really wasn't much difference between the LAGM and LASM when I used them, as far as I remember. I was using them to kill large surface targets from far away, which I'm pretty sure the LASM excelled at, since it sinks ships that need 3 or more standard missiles to kill in one hit in both Zero and 5.

Don't remember if the LAGM had any appreciable difference, since I didn't really use it against groups of weaker ground targets but larger targets as well. Probably not a good idea now that I know the actual effects of the thing... Guess that's why they didn't seem to be having much appreciable effect when I used them...

I learn more about this game series every day. Project Aces sure did model a lot of stuff for it, I guess, even if they did get it wrong more than a couple of times.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

GhostStalker posted:

Also, I thought Wild Weasel was the mission name type, but I guess if you use F-4Gs for that kind of mission a lot, they'll pick up the same nickname from their pilots...

The mission name is SEAD (SUppress Enemy Air Defenses). Wild Weasel is any aircraft specially equipped for the role or fighter squadrons with this as their specialty. The F4-G was the second and last US aircraft model specifically converted for the role (Previously, it was attempted to use standard F-105 and F-4 aircraft, these proved to be inadequate. First the F-105, and then the F-4, were specially upgraded with advanced threat warning receivers, interfaces for ARMS, and better ECM. After the F-4G was retired, standard F-16Cs became the default type, and the mission will transfer to the F-35 if that ever produces a usable fighter), although the Germans and Italians operate a dedicate Tornado variant.

On a different note, one of the things I disliked about AC:0 (other than the big one we can't talk about yet) is that it would have been the perfect AC game to focus on older aircraft - it would make sense to top out at the F-16/Mig-29 generation, and they could have started with the Century Series or even the F-86/MIG-17. Most games focus on the modern flashy superfighters or on the WWII workhorses, and it would be nice to see the usually overlooked Cold War birds get some spotlight.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Gnoman posted:

The mission name is SEAD (SUppress Enemy Air Defenses). Wild Weasel is any aircraft specially equipped for the role or fighter squadrons with this as their specialty. The F4-G was the second and last US aircraft model specifically converted for the role (Previously, it was attempted to use standard F-105 and F-4 aircraft, these proved to be inadequate. First the F-105, and then the F-4, were specially upgraded with advanced threat warning receivers, interfaces for ARMS, and better ECM. After the F-4G was retired, standard F-16Cs became the default type, and the mission will transfer to the F-35 if that ever produces a usable fighter), although the Germans and Italians operate a dedicate Tornado variant.

On a different note, one of the things I disliked about AC:0 (other than the big one we can't talk about yet) is that it would have been the perfect AC game to focus on older aircraft - it would make sense to top out at the F-16/Mig-29 generation, and they could have started with the Century Series or even the F-86/MIG-17. Most games focus on the modern flashy superfighters or on the WWII workhorses, and it would be nice to see the usually overlooked Cold War birds get some spotlight.

It might be a bit of a stretch to go all the way back to Sabers since that's 1950's tech in a 1990's world, but it would have been nice to see some late Century Series jets. I think an F-106 would fit right in, as would an F-104 (maximum hilarity if it's an Attacker). I've always thought an F-8 would make a fine addition to the game, as well as the A-4 and the EE Lightning. Ultimately they went with the selection they did because a lot of the assets could be recycled.

edit: I've said it before and I'll say it again, AC should have a "Legends" style game with some old school Korea-Vietnam era selections. You could even break it into mini-campaigns that cover smaller wars with more coherent aircraft selections, since the performance envelopes would be seeing some rather extreme progression through those decades.

The Casualty fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 17, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

F-106s with Genies would be hilarious. Just recycle the Trinity, make it dumbfire and go faster.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Casualty posted:

It might be a bit of a stretch to go all the way back to Sabers since that's 1950's tech in a 1990's world, but it would have been nice to see some late Century Series jets. I think an F-106 would fit right in, as would an F-104 (maximum hilarity if it's an Attacker). I've always thought an F-8 would make a fine addition to the game, as well as the A-4 and the EE Lightning. Ultimately they went with the selection they did because a lot of the assets could be recycled.

edit: I've said it before and I'll say it again, AC should have a "Legends" style game with some old school Korea-Vietnam era selections. You could even break it into mini-campaigns that cover smaller wars with more coherent aircraft selections, since the performance envelopes would be seeing some rather extreme progression through those decades.
Basically 2/3rds of a really arcadey Chuck Yeager's Air Combat. Yeah I want that.

What the hell was the justification for turning the F-104 into a fighter bomber, anyway?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Bribes.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

A fairly substantial dose of bribery, for the most part.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

The Casualty posted:

as well as the A-4

Oh, you're in for a bit of a treat once we finish this game. :allears:

But yeah, classic jets seems to be a recurring missed opportunity Aces seems to have no interest in rectifying. Like, we get two or four WWII prop fighters in some of the later games, then it skips entirely over everything between that and mid- to late-Vietnam.

Also, had a little AC-related coincidence yesterday.
First, story time: twice a week I donate plasma at a nearby place to make a little extra money. Anyway, went in to donate yesterday, after playing some Infinity that morning with the old Wardog emblem, and I wasn't even in the building a full minute when their radio starts playing none other than Blurry.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Kadorhal posted:

twice a week I donate plasma at a nearby place to make a little extra money.

twice a week for cash?

drat my country is cheap/poor. I though that selling trombocytes twice a month was already a steal.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kadorhal posted:

But yeah, classic jets seems to be a recurring missed opportunity Aces seems to have no interest in rectifying. Like, we get two or four WWII prop fighters in some of the later games, then it skips entirely over everything between that and mid- to late-Vietnam.

What. Are you saying there's an Ace Combat that lets you slam a P47 into a satellite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
WWII stufd would be such a mindfuck in Ace games.

So it's only natural to question why havent they made a Strangereal War II game yet.

• Locked thread