Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Shine posted:

Can anybody recommend a good book/website/video series for going from "I know how to drive" to "I know how to race"? Basically some sort of reference material to help me learn and practice racing skills more effectively instead of just kinda winging it and picking up a tip or two here and there.

I don't know if this random book is any good, but its pitch is the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Going Faster - from the Skip Barber Racing School

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving/

has some good reference.

reading is pretty hard to do for racing school, doing racing school is better. SIm racing is even harder because you can't feel as much.. but you also get the chance to F up a corner really bad with no repercussions.

The advice that I always get/give.. is learn the track, practice practice practice.
Don't run at 100% first lap. run at like 65-70%, learn where the tight corners are and where the long sweepers are.
Then start ramping up the speed, learning what your braking points are, and when you can start to press the gas and where you can't

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
http://www.amazon.com/Going-Faster-...ds=going+faster

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Empty Box's Sim Racing 101 is a good series for that too being more tuned to stuff that affects sim racing. Goes into stuff like effective braking, racecraft, etiquette, weight transfer, POV settings, learning tracks and setups.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 9, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is Carroll Smith's 'Drive to Win' any good? I know his 'Tune to Win' book is top notch for tuning vehicles but I've never read his driving book.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

My folks bought me a bunch of those "Speed Secret" books, and they've been useful, though I believe "Going Faster!" is much better for the new driver.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

Shine posted:

Can anybody recommend a good book/website/video series for going from "I know how to drive" to "I know how to race"? Basically some sort of reference material to help me learn and practice racing skills more effectively instead of just kinda winging it and picking up a tip or two here and there.

I don't know if this random book is any good, but its pitch is the sort of thing I'm looking for.

https://www.drivingfast.net along with practice

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

Shine posted:

That's a great book, but I would say it's more geared to learning how to drive vs learning how to race (although the two obviously go hand-in-hand). That's not to say the book isn't worth reading though (it's the only driving book I've ever bought/read). For me, the best way to get better at racing was to race more. Personally, I think it's difficult to teach racecraft, since there are a lot of unique scenarios involved. Knowing when to attempt a pass, when to defend, learning to not drive in your mirrors, etc. just takes practice.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
The book Skip Barber : Going Faster is widely praised. I really like its explanations, diagrams, and theory.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There's a pretty big RaceRoom update. Maximum race length has been increased to 6 hours, mandatory pit-stops can be used outside the DTM and ADAC stuff, refuelling works now and a bunch of AI improvements. Haven't checked it out yet but there still isn't a proper flag system.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Yep also recommending Going Faster.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Here is the companion movie to Going Faster. It's incredibly cheesy but very informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQRmYMlmdqM

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

njsykora posted:

Gamesplanet have stopped selling RBR, so that's gonna have to change to only available used.

Thanks. Updated.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Ordered both the books mentioned. Thanks!

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

GutBomb posted:

Here is the companion movie to Going Faster. It's incredibly cheesy but very informative.

Was going to post this. Probably the most complete and articulate summary of the actual details of what you're trying to achieve and do in the car and why and how.

Makes the point that the fundamentals really haven't changed. This applies pretty much to all forms of driving something with four wheels fast, but with caveats. For instance to go fast on dirt you don't be so anal and careful with throttle application to avoid wheelspin, that's slower than embracing a bit of spin and slide. But all the stuff about line is completely relevant, shifting, braking.. all of it.

I wouldn't say it's cheesy, it's just not made in the last two years and hip and cool by whatever teenage standard is relevant right now. gently caress that and gently caress teenagers, just let the actual experience and wisdom wash over you. Skip himself drove in 71 and 72 in the WDC in a March, he is not an oval driver.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

GutBomb posted:

Sweet, thanks for this.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

TT Cup just launched for RaceRoom and its surprisingly cheap. 499vrp (about £3.60) for the car and 24 liveries.

E: Just bought it and spent some time driving and this thing is a lot of fun, FWD like the WTCC cars but doesn't feel as clunky as some of those do. Really smooth around corners, easy to drive and a bit faster than I was expecting (around 140mph down a decent size straight) so worth test driving at least if you're into R3E. Though while I was in the store I did notice a new "Game Features" section has been added to the store which makes me more than a little nervous.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 10, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This popped up on my FB feed

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1114096851934697&id=113741208636938

Pay attention!!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I want that co-driver as a voice pack for Dirt Rally

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That's why I posted it, one of the first comments I read

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Fun fact: The Samir Thapar clip is not dubbed, or explicitly "fake", as some people have claimed when it's posted (it's still funny, so I don't mind seeing it again), but is rather the concentrated screaming from a 40 minute clip, where the rest of the rally is presumably quite calm. The creator of the clip, Yohann Setna, was arrested for tarnishing Samir Thapar and co-driver Vivek Ponnusamy's careers, and apparently Ponnusamy lost a major contract because of the clip. Thapar is apparently a talented driver, despite the impression one might get from the clip.

:v:

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/remember-samir-the-bad-rally-driver-turns-out-the-video-was-fake-and-he-s-decent-90865.html
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/motor-sports-executive-lands-in-jail-for-posting-funny-clip-online/article5056363.ece

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Still, Sammy needs to make sure not to break the car.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Always feel like I gotta post this video whenever Samir gets posted.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Jehde posted:

This is my new favorite person.

Illuminated Rodent
Oct 28, 2010
As yet another companion to Going Faster I quite like The Racing Line with Randy Pobst. Quite cheesy and not too many videos yet but pretty funny and they do help to visualize techniques.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGvTvFzdMg_N86Ovr05-wgrjTam_2tH-p

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Black Griffon posted:

Fun fact: The Samir Thapar clip is not dubbed, or explicitly "fake", as some people have claimed when it's posted (it's still funny, so I don't mind seeing it again), but is rather the concentrated screaming from a 40 minute clip, where the rest of the rally is presumably quite calm. The creator of the clip, Yohann Setna, was arrested for tarnishing Samir Thapar and co-driver Vivek Ponnusamy's careers, and apparently Ponnusamy lost a major contract because of the clip. Thapar is apparently a talented driver, despite the impression one might get from the clip.

:v:

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/remember-samir-the-bad-rally-driver-turns-out-the-video-was-fake-and-he-s-decent-90865.html
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/motor-sports-executive-lands-in-jail-for-posting-funny-clip-online/article5056363.ece

LoL the Hindu's article. Sent to jail!!

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Played some more with the Peugeot 504 in AC and boy do I miss me some Forza type tuning options.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah I'm considering getting Forza 6 just to have that upgrade stuff after watching a bunch of Failrace's car build videos. I miss being able to make cars do poo poo they weren't supposed to.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
What are some of the recommended mods for GSCE? Thanks to GhostDog, I've been messing around a bit with the game, but I haven't dug into a ton of the mods besides a few tracks of various quality.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm trying to get my force feedback settings right, and I just can't figure it out. I'm using a Fanatec Porsche 911 Carerra wheel, and no matter what I change, it feels like the car has no power steering. I don't want to have to white knuckle the wheel to turn it or keep it from steering me into a wall. Generally, I want to be able to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hThM3Tf_acU

Even sitting in Windows with the wheel on, it has a weird resistance to turning, almost like trying to steer in deep mud or sand. It turns freely when the wheel is off, so I know it's not a mechanical/friction problem.

I'm testing in Project Cars, so advice specific to that is okay, but it's persistent across pretty much every game I play.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's weird, those wheels have barely any strength to begin with. Also, what car are you driving? A lot of race cars have no power steering. What real life car do you have that you are comparing to? Performance oriented cars have heavy steering, that's just how it is. If you are comparing it to an econobox that has no resistance when turning the wheel, it's not really a fair comparison. Also, due to all the belts used in powering the 911 wheels, you're going to have a lot of friction you have to push past.

I'm not entirely sure what you are wanting out of sim racing if you are trying steer like in that video. Unless you're doing Euro Truck Simulator.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Speaking of SCE: we should try the online again tomorrow - I'll actually be able to join in this time since I have the stable release installed... Hopefully we can get a few more people that last time!

CaseFace McGee posted:

What are some of the recommended mods for GSCE? Thanks to GhostDog, I've been messing around a bit with the game, but I haven't dug into a ton of the mods besides a few tracks of various quality.

I personally like CART Extreme a lot even though I find the cars hard to control, but I'm a fan of those type of cars so I'm probably a little biased. If you're into big powerful single seaters then its the best thing that you'll get. Most of the mods are converted from rfactor so you might have played them before, although some of the conversions aren't particularly great. Also most of them haven't been updated for the 1.51 mod changes (wheel soft-lock, cockpit-adjustable ARBs and the like) so you'd have to pre-set your wheel before playing them but that isn't a huge problem.

Track-wise, again its almost all rfactor conversions but the Patrick Giranthon tracks are very good and in some cases you can't tell that they're not tracks designed for SCE.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

CaseFace McGee posted:

Here's what I currently have installed, there's way more but I kinda cut down on mods to build up with an eye on quality. IceAge is right, stuff from Patrick Giranthon - at least everything released in recent months - is always worth a download. When installing cars make sure to check the description and files for RealFeel settings, you have to copy these into the RealFeel.ini.

Tracks:
Sebring
Road Atlanta
Bathurst
Jerez de la Frontera
Mid Ohio
MoSport
Pukekohe Park
Spa Francorchamps
Barber Motorsports Park
Barbagallo

Cars:
Ferrari F430 Vs. Porsche 997 RSR
C.A.R.T. Factor Extreme
Caterham R500

I think all of these should be on RaceDepartment.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Patrick's actually been updating most of the car mods for auto-steering. He recently updated the Porsche vs Ferrari mod and hopefully he'll do the Carrera Cup mod soon.

I'll be down for online GSCE tomorrow, but make sure it doesn't clash with the Gooncar race.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

KillHour posted:

I'm trying to get my force feedback settings right, and I just can't figure it out. I'm using a Fanatec Porsche 911 Carerra wheel, and no matter what I change, it feels like the car has no power steering. I don't want to have to white knuckle the wheel to turn it or keep it from steering me into a wall. Generally, I want to be able to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hThM3Tf_acU

Even sitting in Windows with the wheel on, it has a weird resistance to turning, almost like trying to steer in deep mud or sand. It turns freely when the wheel is off, so I know it's not a mechanical/friction problem.

I'm testing in Project Cars, so advice specific to that is okay, but it's persistent across pretty much every game I play.

Did you try setting spring and damper to zero to see if one of those is the culprit?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

That's weird, those wheels have barely any strength to begin with. Also, what car are you driving? A lot of race cars have no power steering. What real life car do you have that you are comparing to? Performance oriented cars have heavy steering, that's just how it is. If you are comparing it to an econobox that has no resistance when turning the wheel, it's not really a fair comparison. Also, due to all the belts used in powering the 911 wheels, you're going to have a lot of friction you have to push past.

I'm not entirely sure what you are wanting out of sim racing if you are trying steer like in that video. Unless you're doing Euro Truck Simulator.

Scion FR-S, which I've driven IRL and doesn't have particularly heavy steering. I want it to feel like I'm driving a real car. 90% of the fun of racing sims for me is beating the crap out of normal cars and drifting them into random walls. I don't care about driving an F1 car, or whatever.

Again, when the wheel is off, there is so little friction, I could turn the wheel comfortably with my pinky finger. It's just when I get in game, the drat thing feels like I'm trying to arm wrestle a bear.

GhostDog posted:

Did you try setting spring and damper to zero to see if one of those is the culprit?

Yep. Turning on drift mode helps, but then I have the opposite problem - when I give the wheel a light nudge, it wants to turn itself all the way to lock. :psyduck:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Gooncar is at 9:40 GMT if my math is right, I'll be hosting SCE at 8:00 GMT if anyone is interested, something like 30T/10Q/20R. Car and stuff we can decide then, depends a bit on how many people show up anyway.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

KillHour posted:

Scion FR-S, which I've driven IRL and doesn't have particularly heavy steering. I want it to feel like I'm driving a real car. 90% of the fun of racing sims for me is beating the crap out of normal cars and drifting them into random walls. I don't care about driving an F1 car, or whatever.

Again, when the wheel is off, there is so little friction, I could turn the wheel comfortably with my pinky finger. It's just when I get in game, the drat thing feels like I'm trying to arm wrestle a bear.

Yep. Turning on drift mode helps, but then I have the opposite problem - when I give the wheel a light nudge, it wants to turn itself all the way to lock. :psyduck:

Dpr and spr need to be turned down to 0 or off. If you go past the negative values it can be turned off. Also check FOR. It may be set too high. The likely culprit is either SPR or FOR being set too high.

That being said, with the nature of Sim steering wheel force feedback it's never really going to feel like a real car. The reason being the wheel will be sending you more information through force feedback than a real wheel. For example the wheel is going to be sending you information about what the rear wheels are up to. In a real car you're feeling that with your body. In the game you don't have that luxury.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

GhostDog posted:

Gooncar is at 9:40 GMT if my math is right, I'll be hosting SCE at 8:00 GMT if anyone is interested, something like 30T/10Q/20R. Car and stuff we can decide then, depends a bit on how many people show up anyway.

Also bear in mind the slightly earlier start for Gooncar is just to add a bit longer to qualifying, the grid time should be about 10:30 GMT as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Jehde posted:

Sounds like they're both plastered, I love it. :swoon:

• Locked thread