Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What are the odds they print a Surge card that turns out to be broken in Storm decks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I want 2R deal one damage, surge 1R, if its surge cost was paid, put it back into your hand.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Kabanaw posted:

Urborg doesn't remove any ability from any cards, basic or nonbasic, typed or untyped. Blood moon does it to nonbasics by turning them into Mountains, but Urborg says "in addition to its other types", which means they gain the ability to tap for {B} but don't lose anything. Also important to note, wastes have no type, so you can't give cards the ability to tap for {C} by giving them some Waste type. Wastes tap for {C} the same way Fertile Thicket taps for {G}.

I don't know for certain that the new rules are that Wastes produce {C} because basic lands without a land type just automatically produce {C}. However, if they are, then Urborg does shut it off. Wastes doesn't have a type or any text at all, so just making it a Swamp means it no longer qualifies as a basic land without a land type and cannot tap for {C}.

They could just make it so Wastes taps for {C} as rules text though.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Myriad Truths posted:

I don't know for certain that the new rules are that Wastes produce {C} because basic lands without a land type just automatically produce {C}. However, if they are, then Urborg does shut it off. Wastes doesn't have a type or any text at all, so just making it a Swamp means it no longer qualifies as a basic land without a land type and cannot tap for {C}.

They could just make it so Wastes taps for {C} as rules text though.

That isn't the rule. Waste is just a Basic Land, without a type, and the text "T: Add C to your mana pool." No new rule about basic lands without a type. If you have Urborg, it just has "T: Add C to your mana pool." and "T: Add B to your mana pool." (or just "T: Add C or B to your mana pool.")

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Serperoth posted:

That isn't the rule. Waste is just a Basic Land, without a type, and the text "T: Add C to your mana pool." No new rule about basic lands without a type. If you have Urborg, it just has "T: Add C to your mana pool." and "T: Add B to your mana pool." (or just "T: Add C or B to your mana pool.")

Okay, that's fine then. I saw a post earlier saying that the rules got changed and couldn't find a conclusive statement one way or the other.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Myriad Truths posted:

Okay, that's fine then. I saw a post earlier saying that the rules got changed and couldn't find a conclusive statement one way or the other.

The actual rules changes won't be until OGW is nearly out, they post the full comp rules changes near the prerelease date. Presumably, though, the rules manager isn't interested in making it so basics without types tap for colorless mana, because that would undoubtedly add complications that making wastes a basic, non-artifact, destructible darksteel citadel won't.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

OGW art is already better than BFZ.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I think my favorite part of Crush of Tentacles is that the octopus is crushing It That Betrays.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Trying to play Magic Puzzle Quest, finished Nissas tutorial and it tells me to go to the vault for my free booster. But the only ones there, I have to pay for. I can't go anywhere else in the game until I claim my free pack, which isn't there or isn't free. Anyone else have this problem?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I will give one concession to the "this might be bad" crowd: even though the mechanic should work pretty well in practice, it's entirely possible that wizards does a bad enough job that they decide to kill the mechanic

I hope they didn't, because another dimension of deck building that causes people to use utility lands instead of just jamming the best duals in the format could be pretty interesting

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Night Danger Moose posted:

Trying to play Magic Puzzle Quest, finished Nissas tutorial and it tells me to go to the vault for my free booster. But the only ones there, I have to pay for. I can't go anywhere else in the game until I claim my free pack, which isn't there or isn't free. Anyone else have this problem?
I assume it just means it gave you the points to buy whatever one you're supposed to buy. Just pay for it, you get enough points for a booster after each story battle you win.

Also, I have put all my points into leveling up Chandra rather than buying packs and the game is very easy because she gets "deal 2 damage to a creature" activated ability allowing you to remove most creatures without spending a card. And it levels up later to 3 damage.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Serperoth posted:

What "baggage" is there? The clarification that Sol Ring makes colourless, and not mana of any colour?

The existence of a new mana symbol and rules surrounding it. It's only really a problem if they just use it as a dumb Eldrazi flavor gimmick and then abandon it. Then you're left with another piece of rules baggage like Banding, Flanking, Rampage, or old bad templating -- stuff that won't affect the day to day but will creep into someone's EDH game, have to be known for the sake of a single card if it becomes legacy playable, etc.

If it just becomes an ordinary part of the everyday Magic design space, I don't see any problem.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Boco_T posted:

I assume it just means it gave you the points to buy whatever one you're supposed to buy. Just pay for it, you get enough points for a booster after each story battle you win.

Also, I have put all my points into leveling up Chandra rather than buying packs and the game is very easy because she gets "deal 2 damage to a creature" activated ability allowing you to remove most creatures without spending a card. And it levels up later to 3 damage.
Nope, the only thing I can click on is where it says 60x gold to buy, then the pop up to buy gold comes up. Tried the left one too, that costs 225 (or 250?) planeswalker bits, just says I don't have enough. Maybe I'll just try deleting the data and redoing the tutorial.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Is there anyone who enjoys listening to Randy Buehler do commentary?

Also, aren't you not allowed to put that Khans sign on top of your deck in Professional REL?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 12, 2015

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

mcmagic posted:

Is there anyone who enjoys listening to Randy Buehler do commentary?

Enjoy? No.

Tolerate? No.

Survive? Barely.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The existence of a new mana symbol and rules surrounding it. It's only really a problem if they just use it as a dumb Eldrazi flavor gimmick and then abandon it. Then you're left with another piece of rules baggage like Banding, Flanking, Rampage, or old bad templating -- stuff that won't affect the day to day but will creep into someone's EDH game, have to be known for the sake of a single card if it becomes legacy playable, etc.

If it just becomes an ordinary part of the everyday Magic design space, I don't see any problem.

Good, cause that's what it will be. Colourless mana (the kind that Sol Ring makes) will now be C. They won't use "has to be colourless" mana in costs in every block, just like with Hybrid and so on.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The creation of this mana symbol is designed as a way to make the game easier to understand, not wholly as a way to support a particular mechanic.

If the mechanic stays in this set, that's fine by me because the mana symbol is perfectly useful by itself.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

But it isn't baggage. Stuff taps for colorless all the time.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
The Seance hilarity/weirdness continues.

Also between colorless stuff for tron and Surge for storm, some nice things may be coming out of Oath. I already like it more than the whole of BFZ and we have only ~4 cards spoiled so far.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Angry Grimace posted:

But it isn't baggage. Stuff taps for colorless all the time.

:agreed: I do think it's important that people clearly delineate between "colorless" and "generic." Generic mana and its costs is what any source of mana can create. Colorless is not. People are getting tripped up by this simple thing. It's really weird.

In addition to fun new counters that require you to pay in <>, they can start using it for sweet kicker-style bonuses too. It's a whole lot of space, people. FOW barely tapped its potential.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
It's actually really smart to the point I don't get why it wasn't in BFZ over dumb Devoid.

It looks and feels like it changes the game while in reality not doing anything new at all.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Oath confirmed garbage (larger pic):

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 12, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Angry Grimace posted:

It's actually really smart to the point I don't get why it wasn't in BFZ over dumb Devoid.

It looks and feels like it changes the game while in reality not doing anything new at all.

The only upside I see is that you would be able to find all your good colorless spells early on in draft and have support for them later with BFZ. Like maybe the +0/+1 buffer dude becomes actually useful. The funniest thing is if this, combined with the dumb 2HG gimmick, means both standard and draft decline in popularity while modern and legacy too expensive gets more popular.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

Oath confirmed garbage (larger pic):

the flavour on this makes no sense

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The giant octopus pulls everything beneath the waves (into players' hands) and if you surge the octopus comes out to play. It's not perfect, but mass bounce has been flavored as tidal waves/deep sea creatures before.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Chill la Chill posted:

The only upside I see is that you would be able to find all your good colorless spells early on in draft and have support for them later with BFZ. Like maybe the +0/+1 buffer dude becomes actually useful. The funniest thing is if this, combined with the dumb 2HG gimmick, means both standard and draft decline in popularity while modern and legacy too expensive gets more popular.

Anecdata yeah, but I got the impression this was already happening with 700 dollar standard decks?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

whydirt posted:

The giant octopus pulls everything beneath the waves (into players' hands) and if you surge the octopus comes out to play. It's not perfect, but mass bounce has been flavored as tidal waves/deep sea creatures before.

Yeah but "Surge" in the context of that card is super blue flavored, which is weird since I'd assume its in at least 2 colors (probably 3?)

Also I hate this mechanic, but I dont know if it's just because I hated splice so much.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Death Bot posted:

Anecdata yeah, but I got the impression this was already happening with 700 dollar standard decks?

For standard, yeah. Right now I've seen people shifting to draft if they don't have modern decks. This might be a funny 3-8 shot if it dunks draft too. OTOH, decrease in player turnout might mean a later "surge" in numbers again. Bright side! :D

E: 1-2 seems p light. 3-8 seems more appropriate

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 12, 2015

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Surge will almost certainly be in all 5 colors, but I'd bet it's probably centered in U/W like awaken was or maybe in U/R for limited.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Surge is basically mini-storm, so I imagine it's focused in UR.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Entropic posted:

What are the odds they print a Surge card that turns out to be broken in Storm decks?

Storm Surge (R)
Surge (R)
Add R to you mana pool. If the Surge cost was paid, instead add RRR to you mana pool
A storm is coming

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

logis posted:

Storm Surge (R)
Surge (R)
Add R to you mana pool. If the Surge cost was paid, instead add RRR to you mana pool
A storm is coming

But is it instant speed???

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

logis posted:

Storm Surge (R)
Surge (R)
A storm is coming

Make modern storm good again :pray:

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I hope that Surge will give Jeskai Tokens one last hurrah

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

Also, aren't you not allowed to put that Khans sign on top of your deck in Professional REL?

I don't think you're allowed to do that at any REL except maybe FNM? You're supposed to use something like a die.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I hope that Surge will give Jeskai Tokens one last hurrah

Expect at least one red spell with Surge: Does X damage plus X, and a white spell with Surge: Untap all creatures you control.

The black one will be Sacs and the Green one will be something dumb or whatever like giving a creature trample or something.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Im this scg players champs video where we want to show that all our players are inartiuclate.

alternatively pete and ben were cutting up onions in the room.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Also this teammate poo poo is nonsense.

Designing cards for made up formats that exist so people can open twice as many prerelease packs is dumb.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Is it even legal to play both heads of a 2HG? I don't think people open twice as many packs, they just make an affiliation with somebody else that is opening packs. And since it's hard to organize, they do it very infrequently, at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

Also this teammate poo poo is nonsense.

Designing cards for made up formats that exist so people can open twice as many prerelease packs is dumb.

24 people playing the 1v1 swiss format at prerelease is 24 prerelease sets being opened.

24 people playing a 2HG event is still 24 prerelease sets being opened.

• Locked thread