Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there any trick to getting sanelac pearls and California sunsets in the Primordia Rock Cavern, or is it just running around for two hours? These fuckers just won't spawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Eopia posted:

It's just running around and finding areas. Generally landmarks but not always.

So I should either plant probes or find landmarks.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I added my ID to the list. NNID is lawfulwaffle. I added the first dozen or so people on the list, but it's getting pretty long...

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Pollyanna posted:

Is there any trick to getting sanelac pearls and California sunsets in the Primordia Rock Cavern, or is it just running around for two hours? These fuckers just won't spawn.

Do you have a Skell? If so, enter Beast's Lair, pick up the collectibles, get out of the skell and select Return To Skell so the collectibles respawn.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
What's inclusive of the survey percentage of each continent? I couldn't start chapter 4 without a 15% survey rate and probes were only netting me like 1% each so it took forever to get there.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I found a sunset pretty quickly after some helpful goons suggested looking at the Rock Cavern, but for the pearls at least I had better luck searching along the tops of the cliff area south of the Arendt Bridge

I'm trying to avoid using it as much as possible but there's also this if you get too frustrated: http://imgur.com/a/Asd1L

Louisgod posted:

What's inclusive of the survey percentage of each continent? I couldn't start chapter 4 without a 15% survey rate and probes were only netting me like 1% each so it took forever to get there.

Look at the symbols on each hex in FrontierNav and try to do that thing
Sparkles: treasure box
Beast head: tyrant
Shaking Hands: some affinity quest will bring you there eventually
Paper: same but a normal quest

Walking around town and listening in on conversations can give you hints on what exactly to look for

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Taking tyrant quests from the quest board is a decent way to get handheld to a hex completion, but the downside is not every tyrant quest leads to a hex completion tyrant. Just exploring off the beaten path in between probe sites for chests or on location quests should net you the chapter start percentages fairly easily.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Calaveron posted:

Inferno is the skell everyone recommends to buy first, right?

Best bang for your buck, but if you get the amdusias and slot it with accuracy gear, it's also very good.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm in my upper 20s and got my Skell license finally. If the good skells start opening up at 30, what is a good place to farm some small/med indigens that are in probably the low 30s to grind up a few levels?

Also, which 30s skell should I be buying everyone first?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Thanks for the advice on the survey percentage, I've been trying to do the hearts to hearts and tyrant battles but am still only level 12 so I'm pretty limited. That, and some areas are barred off due to high level enemies guarding them.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Just got my first skell and immediately got it trashed trying to do Prone Sweet Prone. My avatar is level 33, should I not bother blowing insurance on this thing and just get a real one? Also I'm planning on raising affinity with various characters but none of them are level 30, so I assume they won't be able to pilot anything? Also also is there like an ideal place to get the hang of skell combat? It doesn't look too different than grounded but I'd like to get a handle on it before I actually get into fights that matter.

Also given how abysmal jumping around in normal skell mode is, I can't begin to imagine how lovely the bad vehicle modes are.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Man, I haven't gotten into augments and trait enhancing at all. It feels way too overwhelming and I always figure it's just a matter of time until I dump my weapon for a better one. Same with Skell customization, I mostly just slap on whatever drops I get and call it a day.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

horriblePencilist posted:

Man, I haven't gotten into augments and trait enhancing at all. It feels way too overwhelming and I always figure it's just a matter of time until I dump my weapon for a better one. Same with Skell customization, I mostly just slap on whatever drops I get and call it a day.

Melee/Ranged Attack Up augments seem to just take really common Suid parts, so that's pretty convenient.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
There's not really much reason to worry about augments until the endgame. The only ones I used during the main story were attack up and max TP ones, and Skell accuracy ones so I could actually hit the final boss.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

horriblePencilist posted:

There are a lot of cool effects, I've tried to spec out my Astral Crusader with range damage buffs as well as buffs to the rate of calling for soul voices which I think is working out for me. More voices = more healing, more damage, stronger buffs, etc, and they snowball, because triggering soul voices increases your morale which increases your rate of triggering soul voices... It's nuts. Tough fights are hectic so I could be wrong but when I'm in a situation where everyone is super low on health and I get into a groove of calling out for and answering soul voices, then I look at the health bars and everyone's back up, I assume it's because of the voices.

Having said that gear seems like something you only want to worry about at the endgame or when you get stuck, because you both level up and accumulate gear so fast you'll be spending a LOT of time in menus if you actually try to optimize every time you find a new piece. On that note, does the loot you find out in the world have unique models, or can you buy everything except for the obvious cosmetic quest rewards? Half of my inventory time is just making sure I keep one of everything in case I want to dress up in it.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.
Does anyone know what items are needed to build the Treasure Sensor XX augment? Its still "???" on my game. Driving me crazy because I can't figure out what critter to farm for those.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Zombie Defiler posted:

Does anyone know what items are needed to build the Treasure Sensor XX augment? Its still "???" on my game. Driving me crazy because I can't figure out what critter to farm for those.

You need
32 Demonic Jewels
32 Shrad Eyes
32 Decrepit Wings
8 Bonjelium

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Does your own character need to be the one holding a particular weapon for their testing mission (e.g. "use weapon X to kill enemy Y"), or can I just put it on one of my party members?

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.
Thanks Alard.

Also I just found a fourth super weapon, Level 50 "Trident Anchor" it claims to be electrical/physical? Found it on An island far to the west of right where primordia and noctilum join, it is populated by many many crabs, I call it Crab island.
Requires 20,000 Miranium, 8 Tempus glyph, 8 Eerie Lightning Tentacle, 12 Damask Metal, 24 Tempered Blade Module, 2 Lionbone Bort.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pollyanna posted:

Does your own character need to be the one holding a particular weapon for their testing mission (e.g. "use weapon X to kill enemy Y"), or can I just put it on one of my party members?

Party members can carry the weapons.

E: The music for the waters around the continents is pretty sweet and there's some cool stuff to find. I found an island with two of the flying whales and a trumpet-bird tyrant with the subtitle The Fugitive

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
The contrast between this thread now and what the previous thread was like before release is amusing.

It will probably be months before I get to this game. :smith:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Inverness posted:

The contrast between this thread now and what the previous thread was like before release is amusing.

It will probably be months before I get to this game. :smith:

What was the old thread like?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Looper posted:

What was the old thread like?

Arguments about boob sliders

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
Murderess Affinity quest Poor little rich girl. I feel dumb but I've accessed all three consoles and it says I should have the location to find Lan'cord but it's not telling me where he is? Unless it's part of the quest that I have to find it myself and it doesn't get marked on my map, I have no clue.

edit: ok I got it. the finding him quest was a separate quest, within the bigger main quest

Tipme fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 12, 2015

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I was really cynical about the story and the doubling down on the MMO elements, ironically I was right but it had pretty much no bearing on the quality of the game

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
It's not the most amazing story ever or even anything close to it for sure, but I've been enjoying many of the character stories tied to the affinity quests; I feel like those are the real meat of the story.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I do think the story is weaker than the original Xenoblade, but I think it's more... "human"? I guess. The original Xenoblade story was a pretty well-executed normal shounen story. The individual character moments in this game can have some legit good stuff that stands out more and feels more relatable.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I like you can actually do the story sidequests this time because NPCs don't appear for only a few hours per day. I really would have liked to see the Nopon drug ring quest in Xenoblade but gently caress navigating the space-time maze of Frontier Village

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Unlocking the extra AMs in X probably has some of my favorite story moments from both X and the original. I mean I was not expecting one of them to be an extended Back To The Future reference.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The main plot is the barest skeleton of story components to portray enough ooooh spooky gnosticism to justify the xeno- franchising. All the real writing is dumped into affinity quests and side quests about manon eating pizza and popon ripping you off and what variety of mental illness your party members have.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Speaking of spooky gnosticism, Is there supposed to be some sort of meaning in the fact that they're using artificial bodies? I just finished chapter 9 so I don't want spoilers from beyond that, but I am curious if there is some religious significance that flew over my head.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I was really cynical about the story and the doubling down on the MMO elements, ironically I was right but it had pretty much no bearing on the quality of the game

Yeah. It's funny how the negatives of this game don't really leave a dent on how good it is lol

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I need to find out how to get more AMs

I got one optional one being these tall lanky guys called Orphieans or something like that but that's it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The affinity quests are pretty solid and the stilted writing and pacing of dialogue is often bizarre in a really great way. Like there was an affinity that started with some bullies threatening to beat up a character, and the notion that BLADE had like roving greaser bullies who would hassle an officer outside of a diner is insane to me, and there was this eerie music that sounded like it was from a David Lynch movie playing over the whole thing.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I need to find out how to get more AMs

I got one optional one being these tall lanky guys called Orphieans or something like that but that's it.

One of them is from a Lin and Elma affinity quest that I think is in the Barracks, and the other is in the Industrial district but it might need a basic mission to start. The last one I don't think you can get till chapter 10.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
so, :siren: endgame spoilers :siren: humanity's just hosed now, right? or did i take the wrong message from that stinger?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Thing oneshots mechs for days. What's a good place to level to 40?

Thank you so much for this load out! It is perfect!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sam Faust posted:

Speaking of spooky gnosticism, Is there supposed to be some sort of meaning in the fact that they're using artificial bodies? I just finished chapter 9 so I don't want spoilers from beyond that, but I am curious if there is some religious significance that flew over my head.
After chapter 5 spoilers You know how you have a meat body controlling your robot body from a distance? *huge bong rip* What, if, like, you had a soul controlling your meat body from a spiritual distance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Crabtree posted:

Motherfucker, I just realized why the big Lifehold parts look so familiar. Dark blue Zohars. :downs:

Elma also looks a fair bit like chaos and T-ELOS.

• Locked thread