Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

Jia posted:

Unfortunately he's super boring to play if you're co-oping Ada's campaign; there's a lot of places you just have to wait around until Ada solves whatever puzzle.
Yeah, my friend that played Agent couldn't decide if he liked the character or not. On one hand he never had to deal with QTE's, but then he had to deal with me being clueless in puzzle sections. It didn't help that he couldn't tell me what to interact with since Agent doesn't even get a prompt when next to a button/door/whatever.

The section with Simmons' family crest was painful because of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Agent only exists because when the game launched with Adas campaign single player the internet flipped poo poo on Capcom so they added Agent. He was literally an afterthought just to shut people up.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Resident Evil co-op is best played with mods on the PC. The most fun I ever had with RE5 was using double weskers and just punching everything to death and congratulating eachother on being wesker. It's a shame things like that aren't the default options

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Just one more thing for RE6 chat: thank gently caress the co-op button (B on 360 controller) doesn't make your character yell COME ON like it did in 5. The characters in 6 still say something when you hit the button, but it's far softer and less obnoxious. 90% of what I remember from 5 was Chris yelling Sheva to COME ON while her path finding failed.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Mierenneuker posted:

1 also had "no, you don't understand, I have nothing" from those beggar ladies who would get in your face as soon as you got near them. I think everybody who played that game killed some of them with the assassin's blade at a certain point, because holy poo poo did that get annoying.

On a whole that game suffered a lot from repetition. It really felt like a proof of concept where they spent so much time on the core mechanics that they had to rush the content. It worked out for the games afterwards though.

Anyone who played AC2 and didn't combine the berserk poison with throwing money on the ground really missed out.

Evilreaver posted:

Personally I love all the :bethesda: quirks, they make for great game moments because they often end up so ridiculous.

The Rifleman perk can knock people down when you shoot them, which (combined with ragdoll physics) means that when a followup shot kills them, they clip into walls and get shot into the air. It's great.
The repeatable missions are a fast way to grind a level or two for that one neato perk. An even faster way to do them? Lay mines on spawn points for next time. Walk in, boom, lay the mines again, kill stragglers, home again.
Villagers have infinite ammo as long as they have one ammo. Plus they are REALLY aggressive, so give 20 villagers auto-laser-shotguns and they'll disco raiders to death. :krad: Even better that they fire from WAY outside effective range and do basically no damage for long-lasting disco parties.

I gave everyone in one of the settlements a minigun. It was not the best play, but it was hilarious getting the notice that they were underattack, fast traveling back and seeing a bunch of raiders get juiced by a wall of bullets.

CitizenKain has a new favorite as of 04:38 on Dec 11, 2015

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Didn't need to doublepost.

CitizenKain has a new favorite as of 04:38 on Dec 11, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Silent Hill 2 little thing: An improvement over the first game (a trend which 3 did not continue) is that the town is almost completely explorable at any time barring plot detours. You can, at almost any point where you're not locked inside a building, go all the way back to the overlook where the game starts if you really feel like doing so. As per Silent Hill's MO there are big gaps in the road that route you on a winding path; however, the only thing actually blocking access to the second half of town is a giant, shrouded mesh gate that forces you to detour through an apartment complex, which goes away when the game transitions to night time about 2/3rds of the way through.

One other thing also changes:

The game erects a very conspicuous brick wall in front of the road leading out of town, so you can't go back to the overlook anymore. You can still go practically anywhere else, except back to James' car. As if to say, nope, no going back now pal, you're too deep. :allears:

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 12:37 on Dec 11, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

It's a shame about the silent hill movies because I always felt that you could do 2 as a stand alone film fairly well. There was actually a video on youtube before the advent of LPs where someone strung all the cutscenes and dialogue together with the minimum necessary walking around and stuff, cutting out most of the puzzles too, and it flowed pretty well the way they edited it. I always wanted to see that actually get turned into a real movie so I was excited when the silent hill movie was announced. Then disappointed.

Anyway, there's a thing I like about Silent Hill 2 though it might not really be little. I liked how during the climactic moments with the side characters the other world overlaps and you're given a view into what presumably Silent Hill looks like to them and how details of them carry on with James for the last bits of the game such as fighting the Abstract Daddy enemies after the encounter with Angela. I always like the various takes on the Otherworld in the games and it's always kind of amused me that Silent Hill has that reputation for creating monsters from the main character's mind when the only game from the original three, or four if you count that one some people don't, that did that was 2.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Nuebot posted:

I always like the various takes on the Otherworld in the games and it's always kind of amused me that Silent Hill has that reputation for creating monsters from the main character's mind when the only game from the original three, or four if you count that one some people don't, that did that was 2.

As much as people hate Homecoming I actually liked its twist on a meta level because so many people were outraged at the main character in a Silent Hill game being a former soldier and then it turns out nope, you weren't ever a soldier and the tour of duty you were returning from was a stint in the loony bin after having a breakdown over accidentally killing your little brother.

And the actual plot with Shepherd's Glen and ritual child sacrifice in exchange for prosperity and things going horribly wrong when the ritual is accidentally hosed up was pretty creepy and they did a good job hiding references to the deaths everywhere (the very first thing you see in the game as you're being wheeled down the hallways is the ritual deaths being performed in the rooms you pass, for example), if the game hadn't been named Silent Hill and didn't have all the baggage that comes with a western developer taking on a Japanese franchise with a manic fanbase it would probably be a lot more well-remembered.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I think the biggest thing that counts against the post-room silent hills, aside from the whole western developer thing, is that they kind of try too hard to be silent hill games. If that makes any sense. They tend to all use the pyramid head and sexy nurse monster stuff from 2 and re-use a bunch of other stuff which comes across as feeling really insecure about their own product. Which is something I kind of liked about Downpour, at least its big intimidating pyramid head analogue was actually fairly different this time around.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah that makes sense - Silent Hill is its best when it's about the character and the demons they bring to the town. When it's a game about a spooky town with recurring villains and such, it just becomes a generic horror game.

The Room was interesting because it was about what happens when someone gets dragged into the demons that someone else has brought to the town. Too bad the person being dragged in was the dullest, most milquetoast man available.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Fear of innovation and change is a very real pitfall when making more entries in a franchise- especially when its been handed off to a totally different team. There's way too much pressure to make a "proper" sequel than making something that will actually stand up to scrutiny, so most good ideas are smothered before they get off the drawing board.

Looking back, the Silent Hill I was most disappointed in post 4 was Shattered Memories- there was a real spark of something that could have been great, but it had too much dragging it down.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

QuietLion posted:

Just one more thing for RE6 chat: thank gently caress the co-op button (B on 360 controller) doesn't make your character yell COME ON like it did in 5. The characters in 6 still say something when you hit the button, but it's far softer and less obnoxious. 90% of what I remember from 5 was Chris yelling Sheva to COME ON while her path finding failed.

Chris and Piers get increasingly pissed off when you do it it's hilarious. "Chris. CHRIS. CHRIS CAPTAIN CAPTAAAIN"

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

After all the stories in this thread, I decided to give Space Station 13 a try. First round, I spawned and immediately began suffocating, then died within a minute. I checked the SS13 Wiki and discovered that if you talk or fart near someone as a ghost, they can occasionally hear you. I spent the rest of the round as an observer, trying to figure out what was going on and farting at people. Someone was courteous enough to not only drag my body to the medbay, but also to the escape shuttle at the end of the round.

The next round, I was the captain of the ship. I ran around a bit trying to figure out how to pick up and move items in the clunky inventory system with slight success. People started asking me to do things, and having no idea what to do, I hid in a locker for the next 20 minutes while reading the wiki some more and asking mentors for help (the game has a built in mentorhelp function that allows you to ask more experienced players for help.) Being a roleplay server, it turns out the captain doesn't really have to do anything, so I emerged from my locker with the confidence of Zapp Brannigan and demanded that my crew explain to me why the ship was such a mess and everything was covered in blood, after which a janitor quickly came over to clean up. After well over an hour, someone suggested that I call the escape shuttle to end the round, which I did. Shortly before it arrived I bumbled out of an airlock, was rescued by one of my loyal crew members, and suffocated to death on the escape shuttle.

For my third round, I waited until after the game started to join, and picked scientist as a role. I blew myself up within minutes.

For the next couple of rounds I went back and forth between automatic assignments as personal assistant and scientist, and managed to survive but made no progress toward figuring out how to actually do anything in the game. I had to leave mid-round, and having read that it's considered poor etiquette to just go AFK, I was unable to replicate my previous success at blowing myself up, so I resorted to the suicide command.

I either love this game or hate it, I'm honestly not sure.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

PYF little things in games: I was unable to replicate my prevoius sucess at blowing myself up

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
One of the modes in Space Station 13 has a team of heavily armed players attacking the station in order to get the Nuclear Authentication Disk, a small item that is needed to detonate a nuclear bomb.

Nuclear Operatives, the antagonists, have to put the disk in their nuke and use it to blow up the station. The crew has to escape the station with the disk.

While the Nuke Ops have pinpointer items that show an arrow pointing the direction of the disk, there are numerous ways for the crew to hide the disk, stalling or confusing the enemy. Depending on the server you can:

• Open a toilet cistern and put the disk in it.

• Surgically implant the disk in someone

• Recursive storage: put the disk in a wallet in a box in a backpack in a portable hole in a locker.

• Bake the disk into food

• Shove the disk up your rear end

Any other creative tactics I missed?

William Bear has a new favorite as of 22:38 on Dec 11, 2015

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Redirect the disposal pipes and send it on an infinite loop around the station.

Organize a wrestling tournament with the disk as the prize.

If you feel like an rear end in a top hat, just hide a proximity bomb under a weldfuel canister and place the disk next to it, preferably in the most secluded maintenance tunnels you can find the maintenance tunnels near the bar.

Speaking of which, can you still strap a makeshift chem grenade to a mousetrap, then hide the disk and the 'nade in a backpack, triggering it whenever someone tries to open it?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Frankly the fact you can punch your own face to unconsciousness is a little thing enough!

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

If you don't accidentally beat yourself to death with your own shoes on your first round, someone is teaching you wrong.

Edit: My favorite thing about SS13 is experimenting to see what's actually possible. Like when, as a roboticist on a very slow round, I tried to find out if I could transplant a robot arm onto myself without help.

I did not succeed, but I survived, and even managed to get all my original limbs attached! I was very proud of myself that day.

Maximum Tomfoolery has a new favorite as of 02:53 on Dec 12, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

If you don't accidentally beat yourself to death with your own shoes on your first round, someone is teaching you wrong.

Edit: My favorite thing about SS13 is experimenting to see what's actually possible. Like when, as a roboticist on a very slow round, I tried to find out if I could transplant a robot arm onto myself without help.

I did not succeed, but I survived, and even managed to get all my original limbs attached! I was very proud of myself that day.

I once saw a player try to beat himself to death with his own severed rear end out of boredom.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I once saw a player try to beat himself to death with his own severed rear end out of boredom.

This is some Chuck Tingle level poo poo.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
SS13 is a game I've never played, or even seen screen shots of, but reading about it is just so tremendously entertaining to me.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

Sunshine feels incredibly unfocused to the point where it doesn't seem to really please anyone entirely. Beyond the camps that love FLUDD/hate the challenge levels and hate FLUDD/love the challenge levels, you have the oddness brought on by a Mario game constrained by "realistic" level concepts, the water mechanics not being as fleshed out as they maybe could've been, and maybe you're a weirdo like me that was more into cleaning up all the neat gloopy paint as a kid, which is largely forgotten as the game goes on. And of course the surprisingly lovely objective design. I can't see anyone defending stuff like the watermelon contest. Blue coins weren't particularly great either...

It's me. I loved every part of Sunshine. I loved flusd, I loved the fludd-less levels, I love trying to find blue coins, I loved the extremely hard and frustrating challenge levels from leaf raft to pachenco. I loved how every single star felt unique. I loved the open endedness and unfocusedness, because I could play a part until I got bored or frustrated, and then just wander somewhere else. I 100%'ed that game twice.

It also had one of my favorite little things in games: my buddy and I were in the middle of a mescaline trip. We're screwing around in this one level where everything is on fire and pulsating like a groovy lava lamp. We're slowly realizing that this level is helluv drug inspired, there are even a type of psychedelic mushroom growing in the level. The main landmark is this giant gold mushroom, so eventually we just wander over to it and hang out, enjoying the visuals of the level. Then we look up at the underside of the giant mushroom cap...

It's a galaxy of moving stars. Our brains exploded.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drunk Nerds posted:

It's me. I loved every part of Sunshine. I loved flusd, I loved the fludd-less levels, I love trying to find blue coins, I loved the extremely hard and frustrating challenge levels from leaf raft to pachenco. I loved how every single star felt unique. I loved the open endedness and unfocusedness, because I could play a part until I got bored or frustrated, and then just wander somewhere else. I 100%'ed that game twice.

What up, Sunshine-loving buddy :hfive:.

Strife posted:

SS13 is a game I've never played, or even seen screen shots of, but reading about it is just so tremendously entertaining to me.

Come to the thread and give the game a go. Now's especially a good time, as the new map, CogMap2, is going live tomorrow. Just never ever play on anything but the Goonservers. There are terrible horrors lurking on some of the others, and not just spergy rules-lawyering.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Chiming in to agree that Sunshine really does own a lot and easily has the best art direction out of any Mario game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Heavy Lobster posted:

Chiming in to agree that Sunshine really does own a lot and easily has the best art direction out of any Mario game.

Mainly because it has one.

I'm not going to knock the graphics of Mario Galaxy or anything like that, because a 3D Mario will be one of the most consistently pretty games on a Nintendo console, you can only really count on Zelda to top it. But Sunshine was the only game in the series that decided to just go all-in on being a specific thing, rather than having designated ice worlds, water worlds, fire worlds, etc. And to make things even better, that one thing was a tropical vacation.

My favorite was always the hotel. Not because it's necessarily the best level in the game, but because they had successfully made a game where a hotel world and an area with a massive gambling motif was a natural addition that makes perfect contextual sense.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sunshine is my favorite game in the series but I think it's also the most flawed game in the series. It starts out on the wrong foot with those long, boring cutscenes. There are too many coin collecting shines. Everything about Yoshi sucks (except maybe the music). That said, the size of the levels and the mobility fludd gives you to explore them are great.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

William Bear posted:

I once hid the disk in the only place the operatives never thought to look. Inside the nuke.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

William Bear posted:

I once started as the captain in a nuke round. As soon as I heard there were syndies I ran to genetics, got myself turned into a monkey and hid under a table with the disk.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Slime posted:

I once started as the captain in a nuke round. As soon as I heard there were syndies I ran to genetics, got myself turned into a monkey and hid under a table with the disk.

Love the shades

eddoghetto
Mar 27, 2007
612 Wharf Avenue

Drunk Nerds posted:

It also had one of my favorite little things in games: my buddy and I were in the middle of a mescaline trip. We're screwing around in this one level where everything is on fire and pulsating like a groovy lava lamp. We're slowly realizing that this level is helluv drug inspired, there are even a type of psychedelic mushroom growing in the level. The main landmark is this giant gold mushroom, so eventually we just wander over to it and hang out, enjoying the visuals of the level. Then we look up at the underside of the giant mushroom cap...

It's a galaxy of moving stars. Our brains exploded.

Sunshine has always seemed like an underrated game to me. All of the levels were fresh, and it introduced some great concepts. The amusement park level, the hotel, and the pianta village were all fantastic levels, and were completely different from anything the series had done before. It's like Cleretic said - it was finally a game that gave up on the standard ice world, fire world, water world motif and explored some new ideas. I would absolutely love a sequel to this game. Hell- I'd even settle for a fan made version, like the Mario 64 Star Road hack.

I think I've 100%'ed it like five times myself, although the last two times I cheated and used emulation/save states, because gently caress that leaf raft level and the hydrophobic Yoshis. The last time I did the leaf raft level, I missed one of the coins and ended up using the edge of the level to slowly walk back to the coin I missed, and was able to grab it and finally beat the level.

I really need to play through this again.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Xenoblade Chronicles X: SUBTITLES.ENABLED.BY.DEFAULT.

Why isn't this standard in games nowadays? You have to go through the intro scenes before you can turn the subtitles on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leal posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles X: SUBTITLES.ENABLED.BY.DEFAULT.

Why isn't this standard in games nowadays? You have to go through the intro scenes before you can turn the subtitles on.

Despite the fact that goddamn everyone I know of turns them on apparently there's pretty reliable data that people prefer them to default to off.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Despite the fact that goddamn everyone I know of turns them on apparently there's pretty reliable data that people prefer them to default to off.

Xenoblade X needs them on anyway, because the music's balanced badly against ambient dialogue in cutscenes.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
I only just recently switched from Windows 95 to 98, and from 98 straight to Windows 10, because of 95/98's great dosbox and emulation potential, well, not needing emulation, for a lot of stuff, really. Anyway, i was surprised that i managed to get F*R*I*E*N*DS: TRUE FRIENDS running and have seeminly gotten the save file transfer work reliably. Don't know how many times I've played this game, but this will, probably *knocks on wood* be the first time that i'll be able to fully resolve multiple of the chacter story lines in-game without them reverting to defaults. My favourite little thing is just that, which I think perhaps the Ultimate / King British games did even earlier? I never played those. A lot of games have done it since, like the Mass Effect games. Something that does not really happen any longer, I think, is how wildly licensed games could deviate from their tv/movie counterparts, there just wasnt the same strict control with licensing, even with big stuff, because nobody gave a poo poo about games yet. One Chandler/Joey line has Joey actually dying and Chandler refusing to go to the funeral. The "bad" Chandler resolution has him becoming an addict, which turned out to be a bit too true, looking back, as well.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

Grandmother of Five posted:

I only just recently switched from Windows 95 to 98, and from 98 straight to Windows 10, because of 95/98's great dosbox and emulation potential, well, not needing emulation, for a lot of stuff, really. Anyway, i was surprised that i managed to get F*R*I*E*N*DS: TRUE FRIENDS running and have seeminly gotten the save file transfer work reliably. Don't know how many times I've played this game, but this will, probably *knocks on wood* be the first time that i'll be able to fully resolve multiple of the chacter story lines in-game without them reverting to defaults. My favourite little thing is just that, which I think perhaps the Ultimate / King British games did even earlier? I never played those. A lot of games have done it since, like the Mass Effect games. Something that does not really happen any longer, I think, is how wildly licensed games could deviate from their tv/movie counterparts, there just wasnt the same strict control with licensing, even with big stuff, because nobody gave a poo poo about games yet. One Chandler/Joey line has Joey actually dying and Chandler refusing to go to the funeral. The "bad" Chandler resolution has him becoming an addict, which turned out to be a bit too true, looking back, as well.

I really liked that game but I was always disappointed that the bit with Monica in the mine cart pictured on the back of the box was probably a mockup or cut content, because no matter how many times I played her scenario I could never find it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Man, I remember that game. I spent hours online trying to find out the true "Naked Rachel" cheat only to find it was all a rumour. Thank god for mods.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Who owns the right to that game BTW? I notice it still isn't available for purchase on gog.com

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007
I cant even find out anything about the game. I wanna see a screenshot or something, it sounds funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Trainmonk posted:

I cant even find out anything about the game. I wanna see a screenshot or something, it sounds funny.

There's next to nothing written about it online. Only a few handfuls of copies were made and ran notoriously bad.

That being said, the senerio resolution where Phoebe admits that she needs music lessons but, to afford them, must surrender her body to medical research was inspired. It's was like a one person Gift of The Magi.