Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Besides, 2HG was played at the pro tour at one point, it's no less a made up format than the rest of Magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
it'll be interesting seeing who likes the emphasis on multiplayer and who doesn't cause then we can easily tell the people without irl friends

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mandatory lesbian posted:

it'll be interesting seeing who likes the emphasis on multiplayer and who doesn't cause then we can easily tell the people without irl friends

Key word is emphasis. Just like EDH, this game was not made to be a 3+ player endeavor. Perhaps try Caverna or Campaign for North Africa? The latter takes 10 players with estimated time for a game totaling 1200 hours. Lots of bonding time in there IMO. :)

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

mcmagic posted:

Is there anyone who enjoys listening to Randy Buehler do commentary?

Also, aren't you not allowed to put that Khans sign on top of your deck in Professional REL?

Yeah I like his enthusiasm. I think he comes across as enjoying the game on a different level than any other commentator. Also I'm not bothered at all by his forgetting cards or whatever.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Zoness posted:

Im this scg players champs video where we want to show that all our players are inartiuclate.

alternatively pete and ben were cutting up onions in the room.

I unironically like the new SCG promo with Cedric, Patrick and Matthias getting hyped.

They're so excited :kimchi:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Kitchen Lynx is pretty adorable, I have to agree.

Hopefully I can get one before they change again.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

clamiam45 posted:

Yeah I like his enthusiasm. I think he comes across as enjoying the game on a different level than any other commentator. Also I'm not bothered at all by his forgetting cards or whatever.

Cedric Phillips is the most enthusiastic commentator, and I don't think it's particularly close. Dude is a fantastic hype man, and i'm sure his heavy interest in pro sports helped make him as good as he is.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I really want a surge card that makes Storm great again.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Niton posted:

Cedric Phillips is the most enthusiastic commentator, and I don't think it's particularly close. Dude is a fantastic hype man, and i'm sure his heavy interest in pro sports helped make him as good as he is.

I don't watch SCG that much, but I listen to Cedric's podcast. I definitely like him and would put him close to Randy in terms of enthusiasm. I'm not making GBS threads on Cedric at all, he's great.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Serperoth posted:

Good, cause that's what it will be. Colourless mana (the kind that Sol Ring makes) will now be C. They won't use "has to be colourless" mana in costs in every block, just like with Hybrid and so on.

Okay why can't the Bonzis figure out I understand how the mechanic works

Let's just let it die because I'm talking to a big purple brick wall

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Count Bleck posted:

24 people playing the 1v1 swiss format at prerelease is 24 prerelease sets being opened.

24 people playing a 2HG event is still 24 prerelease sets being opened.

No, I mean everyone I know who does it just pays for both and just gets a random friend who barely knows how to play to show up.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Well that's stupid, so no wonder you think the format is stupid too.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Well that's stupid, so no wonder you think the format is stupid too.
Trying to make magic into a multiplayer game is like trying to use D&D rules for a survival horror RPG.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Yawgmoth posted:

Trying to make magic into a multiplayer game is like trying to use D&D rules for a survival horror RPG.

But Call of Cthulhu is fun?

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Creating an EDH deck after a recent burglary left me with hardly anything left.

I've got Derevi, some mana rocks, mana web, winter orb, and some other pieces for control.

What I need is a reliable way to get some critters out and trigger the untaps with Derevi. So far I've got Marshal's Coup but it would toast the Commander/Prophet/Seedborn, etc.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I'm angry that Wizards is adding a mechanic that requires me to play multiplayer games by forcing me to cast two whole spells a turn.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Expecting me to have friends and acquaintances just shows once again that wizards does not understand their target demo

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
My (D) is surging

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

im gaye posted:

Creating an EDH deck after a recent burglary left me with hardly anything left.

I've got Derevi, some mana rocks, mana web, winter orb, and some other pieces for control.

What I need is a reliable way to get some critters out and trigger the untaps with Derevi. So far I've got Marshal's Coup but it would toast the Commander/Prophet/Seedborn, etc.

Have you considered Aether Vial? Depending on how much your creatures cost and where they sit in a curve, it could do you a lot of good. Also, if you've got a lot of mana rocks, there's Tezzert the Seeker and Unwinding Clock.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

mandatory lesbian posted:

also, surge is a hella cool mechanic

Agreed, it reminds me of a "fixed" Storm that I thought of a while go. I'll bet they'll be really gunshy about printing any Surge costs of 2 or less though, I doubt they want Storm to come back in force.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Agreed, it reminds me of a "fixed" Storm that I thought of a while go. I'll bet they'll be really gunshy about printing any Surge costs of 2 or less though, I doubt they want Storm to come back in force.

Yeah, particularly with super awesome delve draw cards sitting around, they've probably made sure none of them are too potent. Still, if they could print something to put Jeskai Ascendancy back on the map, standard will get a lot more fun, at least for a short while.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ramos posted:

Yeah, particularly with super awesome delve draw cards sitting around, they've probably made sure none of them are too potent. Still, if they could print something to put Jeskai Ascendancy back on the map, standard will get a lot more fun, at least for a short while.

On the other hand they're only around for 3 months. They were apparently really careful about designing stuff to work around Monastery Mentos for the 18 months it was in standard, so I would expect at least a couple of nice cards to play with it before it rotates out.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

No, I mean everyone I know who does it just pays for both and just gets a random friend who barely knows how to play to show up.

If nobody in your locality is benefiting from the opportunity to select a good partner, then it sounds like a market for 2HG events with randomly assigned teams.

In all the (few) events I've ever played in, there were only ever four or five teams, but all of them were solid duos.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

On the other hand they're only around for 3 months. They were apparently really careful about designing stuff to work around Monastery Mentos for the 18 months it was in standard, so I would expect at least a couple of nice cards to play with it before it rotates out.

Lightning Bolt in OTG!? :circlefap:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Ramos posted:

Jeskai Ascendancy won't be back on the map when one of the most popular decks is playing 4 copies of Dromoka's Command maindeck.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

EDH, 2HG, Emperor, and Conspiracy drafts were all great, and so is Call of Cthulhu. Sounds about right!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Standard has had the shittiest turnouts for fnm in the last 6 weeks then i can ever remember. I think only a handful have fired in the Dfw area. It seems like I have to pay for ptq/iq to play standard. Bright side is cashing those events is about as easy as it gets right now.

Hopefully someone is paying attention in creative.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sickening posted:

Standard has had the shittiest turnouts for fnm in the last 6 weeks then i can ever remember. I think only a handful have fired in the Dfw area. It seems like I have to pay for ptq/iq to play standard. Bright side is cashing those events is about as easy as it gets right now.

Creative? You think the problem with standard attendance is people don't like Eldrazi enough?

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
And amulet Bloom just lost by forgetting that he will have to pay for a pact the next turn.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

I've been noticing this at my store as well, I think we had like 30-ish people last night in a store that used to hit over double that.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The lesson is to never put fetches and fetchable lands in the same standard.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Sperling made a post 1-2 yrs ago that wizards should "unprint" fetches - i.e. 1984 them and say they never should have happened.

Increasingly agree with that idea.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There were some really good meta-reasons for not letting fetches happen in standard anymore that I read somewhere.

My favorite was it slows the game down every time someone has to fetch.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
FNM attendance has been very, very low lately. I think it has been a combination of the holidays coming up and high price of standard. To a lesser extent I am pretty sure it also has to do with how slow FNM runs now a days with it being a midrange crunch fest. Last night FNM started 15 minutes late, then every round when to turns for an extra 10-15 minutes, and then a repair going into round 4 because someone misreported their results. It was 15 minutes into round 4 and it was already passed the time I usually am getting home.

Cactrot posted:

I've been noticing this at my store as well, I think we had like 30-ish people last night in a store that used to hit over double that.

Were you at CK last night? If so what were you playing?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I think it also has to do with the cheapest t1 deck having a bad matchup against the two most expensive t1 decks.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

When the standard format consists of decks that cost over a grand that wipe the floor with all other decks that don't, people tend to not play that format as much.

This standard is one of the worst we've had since LOR/ALA, imo.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dehtraen posted:

FNM attendance has been very, very low lately. I think it has been a combination of the holidays coming up and high price of standard. To a lesser extent I am pretty sure it also has to do with how slow FNM runs now a days with it being a midrange crunch fest. Last night FNM started 15 minutes late, then every round when to turns for an extra 10-15 minutes, and then a repair going into round 4 because someone misreported their results. It was 15 minutes into round 4 and it was already passed the time I usually am getting home.

Were you at CK last night? If so what were you playing?

RB aggro, I went undefeated until I played against Cody and punted hard against Atarka red to finish 3-1.

Edit: waiting for the inevitable realization that oh, I'm the jerk in the store that you hate :P

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
I just see general slower playing, lots of newer / just returning to the game guys that are dropping $600 on whatever 4 color deck won the last SCG event, then stumbling their way through library searching effects (fetches, bring to light, nissa), tanking over really basic decisions, or just not even knowing what their cards do (yes, virulent plague effects your tokens too)

Cactrot posted:

RB aggro, I went undefeated until I played against Cody and punted hard against Atarka red to finish 3-1.

We played round 2 I think, UB Sacrifice. We chatted about Merfolk / infect in modern and you won 2-0 with flamewake, blood soaked champ, and dashed zurgo g1 and I conceded to conceal info with two lands In play I believe?you thought I was playing 4 color rally but Thunderbreak & friends won g2 for you. Thank you for actually playing at a decent pace unlike the rest of my opponents last night.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The Shortest Path posted:

When the standard format consists of decks that cost over a grand that wipe the floor with all other decks that don't, people tend to not play that format as much.

This standard is one of the worst we've had since LOR/ALA, imo.

On the flip side, it's actually a really fun standard if you own the cards to play it. I'll never be dissapointed in a standard that doesn't feature a pile of 20 mountains as a deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

The Shortest Path posted:

EDH, 2HG, Emperor, and Conspiracy drafts were all great, and so is Call of Cthulhu. Sounds about right!
CoC d20 is hilariously bad, as are EDH, 2HG, & Emperor and for the same reason: it's a particularly shoddy attempt to force a game system to do something it's not equipped at all to do except on the barest "well technically" level. I never played Conspiracy because the "like draft, but with extra poo poo!" hook never interested me, especially when all the extras look as ridiculous as the EDH specific poo poo.

But hey it's nice that they're giving me an A+ reason to avoid this prerelease.

• Locked thread