Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

shavage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

obstipator posted:

i have a nodejs that needs to do ldapping over ssl. it cries about CERT_UNTRUSTED. how do i tell node that ds.poopybuttwhole.com is a legit web that it should trust? running osx 10.9.5 if it matters

this might help u op https://stackoverflow.com/questions/22258093/node-js-using-https-request-with-an-internal-ca

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

thank u, op

in my journies thru related stuff, i found tls's option flag called rejectUnauthorized. setting to false makes it ignore ssl certs entirely which works as a temp solution :]

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
only slightly computer related: usps recently switched postmen on our route and the new dude can't find our house, somehow. but apparently that didn't stop him because my new haswell-e cpu says it was delivered ten minutes ago. to someone else, apparently.

what the hell do i do when a postman delivers to the wrong address? this is the second time this has happened; the first time we complained but wrote it off since it was a very minor order. the usps website seems to demand that i insured my package if i want to file a claim

e: resolved by usps employee yelling at idiot driver (his words)

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 6, 2015

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
windows 10 fun

at home:
doesn't recognize my USB 3.0 controller at all. I guess that's what I get for having a lovely non-Intel USB 3.0 controller tho

at work:
when I unplug my USB headset and later plug it back in after a meeting or something, the OS correctly detects it but just keeps on blaring sound out of my laptop speakers anyway. Only fixable with a restart.

works fine on my old (free) surface pro 2 I guess :unsmith:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Tatsujin posted:

windows 10 fun

at home:
doesn't recognize my USB 3.0 controller at all. I guess that's what I get for having a lovely non-Intel USB 3.0 controller tho

at work:
when I unplug my USB headset and later plug it back in after a meeting or something, the OS correctly detects it but just keeps on blaring sound out of my laptop speakers anyway. Only fixable with a restart.

works fine on my old (free) surface pro 2 I guess :unsmith:

at home: install drivers? (again?)

at work: ok i dno for this one. i have a usb headset and i always have to manually change the default sound device when i want to switch output. have you tried going into sound devices and chaging teh default sound device?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
can you get the pro version of windows 10 if you have an unused windows 8 license key?

i'd rather not have to jump through the hoop of installing windows 8 pro and then upgrading to windows 10 pro

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stymie posted:

can you get the pro version of windows 10 if you have an unused windows 8 license key?

i'd rather not have to jump through the hoop of installing windows 8 pro and then upgrading to windows 10 pro

yes you can enter the windows 8 license key during setup as of the november update

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Stymie posted:

yes but you have to

Stymie posted:

ah i see you're already familiar with the process

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fishmech posted:

yes you can enter the windows 8 license key during setup as of the november update

does it have to be a fresh install, or can it be part of an upgrade?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stymie posted:

if there's already a system install on there, it will upgrade fromt hat version to the matching win 10 version. so if the key for a different type and you want that type, you'll need to do a fresh install

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Stymie posted:

you can probably attempt to break your computer by fuckign up teh product key before upgrading. you might want to upgrade from whatever is on there now to 8 then to 10 if thats how you want it to go

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok so ive got an iophone 4s and I want to "swap" it with my iphone 4. can I do a 100% total backup of my 4 and then start the 4s fresh and install it on there?

the other direction is easy I'll just start fresh on the iphone 4 (my current phone)

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

ok so ive got an iophone 4s and I want to "swap" it with my iphone 4.

lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the iphone 4s is probably the last good iphone, albiet a bit slo these days. but a MASSIVE upgrade from my 4

is the 4s steve approved? god I hope so. ive now god a laptop that isnt steve approved and its tarnishing my brand

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

at least get a new battery in your well used old rear end phone ffs

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

echinopsis posted:

the iphone 4s is probably the last good iphone, albiet a bit slo these days. but a MASSIVE upgrade from my 4

is the 4s steve approved? god I hope so. ive now god a laptop that isnt steve approved and its tarnishing my brand

the 5s is good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks but how do I do what I want to do?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

echinopsis posted:

thanks but how do I do what I want to do?

I don't know!!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok so replacing the battery. i know i could do it with one of those ebay kits im poretty compentent but the question is, which one is actually ok and safe to use

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

none of them, most likely

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spankmeister posted:

the 5s is good

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

bobbilljim posted:

none of them, most likely

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

if you weren't using an old rear end phone and lived somewhere developed enough to have apple stores you'd take it to the apple store and have them put in an official one there

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
but... I am. thanks for the patronisation I guess

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

echinopsis posted:

ok so ive got an iophone 4s and I want to "swap" it with my iphone 4. can I do a 100% total backup of my 4 and then start the 4s fresh and install it on there?

the other direction is easy I'll just start fresh on the iphone 4 (my current phone)
these words don't make sense. you want to move the data on your 4s to your 4, and then wipe your 4s?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
other way around

but its done now anyway

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Welp the arris router TWC gave us @ work seems to be struggling under the load of 20+ computers, does anyone know a better business class router I can offload all the... routing off to? lookin @ the Netgear FVS318N or similar but idk if that can actually handle said 20+ computers either

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

going for the simplest solution here: you can probably grab any old gigabit switch. assuming the existing router can saturate your internet connection and you don't actually have any fun routing to do

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Silver Alicorn posted:

Welp the arris router TWC gave us @ work seems to be struggling under the load of 20+ computers, does anyone know a better business class router I can offload all the... routing off to? lookin @ the Netgear FVS318N or similar but idk if that can actually handle said 20+ computers either

netgear is... bad. the last netgear unit that i configured because the customer didn't/couldn't do it themselves was early this year, and the latest firmware was from 2011, didn't support ipv6, and each web gui page load took ~30-60 sec.

you're better off with a small sonicwall or a small cisco asa or if you're down w/ a little bit of fiddling, get a ubiquiti edgerouter X or edgerouter lite. if those aren't your thing just get a tplink archer c7.

bobbilljim posted:

going for the simplest solution here: you can probably grab any old gigabit switch. assuming the existing router can saturate your internet connection and you don't actually have any fun routing to do

nah the NAT engines on a lot of the big ISP-supplied units is typically the cheapest poo poo they can get away with. if he's got 20+ computers he already has a switch (hopefully gigabit)

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 16, 2015

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
quote != edit

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Silver Alicorn posted:

this router is older but its dirt cheap with a lot of ram and a good cpu and it can handle 900mbit u/d sustained on my home jiggabit connection. 3rd party firmware might kill the cut to forward feature (does on tomato, not sure about ddwrt) which will take throughput down to the 100mbit range.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00387G6R8?keywords=asus%20n16&qid=1450298320&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 16, 2015

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

will the c7 do 20+ on NAT? that's impressive for a little consumer router. it shouldn't be, but it is.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

CrazyLittle posted:

netgear is... bad. the last netgear unit that i configured because the customer didn't/couldn't do it themselves was early this year, and the latest firmware was from 2011, didn't support ipv6, and each web gui page load took ~30-60 sec.

you're better off with a small sonicwall or a small cisco asa or if you're down w/ a little bit of fiddling, get a ubiquiti edgerouter X or edgerouter lite. if those aren't your thing just get a tplink archer c7.

nah the NAT engines on a lot of the big ISP-supplied units is typically the cheapest poo poo they can get away with. if he's got 20+ computers he already has a switch (hopefully gigabit)

poo poo i forgot about nat lol

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

my stepdads beer posted:

will the c7 do 20+ on NAT? that's impressive for a little consumer router. it shouldn't be, but it is.

I would assume so, CPU load when I'm cranking on it with a single session stays down around 20% and that's with 900mbit+ traffic going through it. I'm sure there's some upper limit to how many systems you can jam through the nat concurrently but your ISP bandwidth is going to limit how much load you could throw at the processor in the first place and there's more than enough memory to support a huge nat table. 128mb with a 533mhz SoC that's comparable to what they're putting in the $200+ high end routers

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

Tatsujin posted:

at work:
Try restarting the Windows Audio service, elevated prompt, net stop audiosrv then net start audiosrv
You can make it a .bat and run as Admin.
Worth a try.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I'm trying to get some goofy SCSI to iSCSI bridge hardware imported from Europe and fedex is holding it until I complete an FCC 740 form about equipment that may cause harmful radio interference and this stuff is all hardwired ethernet connections with no radios so I have no idea what the hell they want and assume its stupid bureaucratic poo poo but has anyone else had to deal with this?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I'm trying to get some goofy SCSI to iSCSI bridge hardware imported from Europe and fedex is holding it until I complete an FCC 740 form about equipment that may cause harmful radio interference and this stuff is all hardwired ethernet connections with no radios so I have no idea what the hell they want and assume its stupid bureaucratic poo poo but has anyone else had to deal with this?

a google search online shows that it looks like at least one company has included such forms with their merchandise when shipping to the US, so you might try contacting whoever you bought this thing from to see if they can help you out

this fedex page seems to suggest that the "FCC ID" field may be optional: http://www.canadacustomer.fedex.com/ca_english/customsguide/fcc.html

other than that it's basically just fill in the info and tick the appropriate box which in your case is probably #7:

quote:

7. Three or fewer radio receivers, computers, or other unintentional radiators as defined in Part 15 of the FCC Rules, are being imported for an individual’s personal use and are not intended for sale.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

a google search online shows that it looks like at least one company has included such forms with their merchandise when shipping to the US, so you might try contacting whoever you bought this thing from to see if they can help you out

this fedex page seems to suggest that the "FCC ID" field may be optional: http://www.canadacustomer.fedex.com/ca_english/customsguide/fcc.html

other than that it's basically just fill in the info and tick the appropriate box which in your case is probably #7:

well that's good, it gets me a loophole but I'm going to have a bigger order in the future. I'll make the supplier deal with it next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

its still stupid but the radio frequencies emitted are the frequencies that are goign across teh bridge liek how u can enable spread spectrum on ur pc to stop it interfering with one particular freq. idk u probably knwo this but hey