Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
It's never something that actually existed, it's a rumor that won't die due to a UI bug. You get the full materials of anything you put in a workshop, however sometimes the individual components that aren't used won't appear to be there. If you go to make something you will still have them, and after awhile they will show up. There's no difference between storing something in your workshop and scrapping it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

JackBadass posted:

There was a ton. Only one I can remember off the top of my head was horseback combat.

I've put a ridiculous amount of time into Skyrim and probably spent 3 minutes total trying to fight on horseback.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Probably been asked, but long thread:

On PS4, how do I load up/change the ammo for the Syringer?

I made up some syringes, but when I equip it, the ammo counter just says 0 for clip/magazine and 0 total.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Entropic posted:

I've put a ridiculous amount of time into Skyrim and probably spent 3 minutes total trying to fight on horseback.

I hated horses in Skyrim. Never used them.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Dude gently caress this. I've been running around Vault 75 for the last two hours. I have no idea how to get out of here. gently caress this stupid game, I'm not having fun.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Dude gently caress this. I've been running around Vault 75 for the last two hours. I have no idea how to get out of here. gently caress this stupid game, I'm not having fun.

Did you try moving your guy through the exit door?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

JackBadass posted:

I hated horses in Skyrim. Never used them.

Yeah there is really no reason to use them, other than I guess if you want to travel slightly faster to a location you haven't been to yet that's fairly far away from anywhere you can fast travel to.l

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
After playing Witcher3, the shortcomings of the Betesda's open world design are pretty glaring :( At least we got some good stories and dialogues this time.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Open your map and place a marker in a world outside, if you don't have any markers on your HUD. Follow it, it'll lead you to the nearest exist

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Was anyone else's instant response to the robot racetrack to make them self destruct for the salvage?

...I'm such a heartless rear end in a top hat. :eng99:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Toadsmash posted:

Was anyone else's instant response to the robot racetrack to make them self destruct for the salvage?

I'm still upset that turned out to just be another bandit shooting gallery, I heard the announcer from far off and "ROBOT RACING? OH MAN, THAT SOUNDS- oh, alright then."

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I really wanted to enter Codsworth in that, and then kit him out to kick rear end at it.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Out of all the locations they could choose NOT to put a workshop at. That would've been an awesome place to build at.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Got a question about how supply lines work.

So if I set up a supply line between, say, Sanctuary and the Red Rocket Station down the road, they share my junk between them. If I then set up a supply line from Red Rocket to the Castle, will I have the junk from all three, or just from Red Rocket and the Castle?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

JackBadass posted:

Got a question about how supply lines work.

So if I set up a supply line between, say, Sanctuary and the Red Rocket Station down the road, they share my junk between them. If I then set up a supply line from Red Rocket to the Castle, will I have the junk from all three, or just from Red Rocket and the Castle?

All 3. Or 25, depending on how many settlements you have linked

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Where's the robot races?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Cojawfee posted:

Where's the robot races?

If you know where Nordhagen Beach is, it's like just north of that, a bunch of Triggermen are running it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Where's the robot races?

east coast; slightly more north than half-way down the map - near the peninsulas.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Yardbomb posted:

I'm still upset that turned out to just be another bandit shooting gallery, I heard the announcer from far off and "ROBOT RACING? OH MAN, THAT SOUNDS- oh, alright then."

Yeah, I wanted to at least be able to bet on the races.There's a bunch of areas like that and Combat Zone which could have been so much more interesting if everyone there didn't instantly aggro on you.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Toadsmash posted:

Nah, I kept them running endlessly in the race even after killing all the bandits. Then before I left I set them to "scramble mode" so they're just running around crazy all over the place now and forever. I wanted to set them free, unfortunately that's not an option.

Also I killed the poor eyebot on a lark and I felt guilty about it, but as a consolation I got to keep his bugle holotape to play whenever I want.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

How many different people are there that you can just turn poo poo into them for caps?

There's The girl at Abernathy that takes melons.
The Mr. Handy at GreyGardens that takes something, I think it's mutfruit
The kid in Vault 81 that wants jet
The Repairman in Vault 81 that takes certain tools.

Those are all the ones I can think of. Anyone know of more?

This is a good idea to list. Once the brotherhood comes around, you can talk to the researcher (stands around the autopsies) and that bookworm scribe (he has his own room somewhere, you are required to meet him to continue some early BoS quest) They can give you endless caps by making things spawn that they buy off you.

Researcher wants blood samples. (spawn from wildlife, including ghouls)
Scribe wants technical documents. (spawn from desks, filing cabinets, office stuff)

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
This game is infuriating. I'm always over encumbered. The inventory management is a loving pain. What am I wearing? Who knows. I want to play this game so bad but it fucks with me at every turn. gently caress.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It might not be for you.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

It might not be for you.

Yeah. That's what I'm thinking. I really, really wanted to like this game, though. :(

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Wake_N_Bake posted:

This game is infuriating. I'm always over encumbered. The inventory management is a loving pain. What am I wearing? Who knows. I want to play this game so bad but it fucks with me at every turn. gently caress.

How are you always over encumbered? Build a safehouse and store your stuff there.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Besesoth posted:

It should give you cloth and adhesive, not cloth or adhesive, but people were talking earlier about a bug where if you made something out of junk that hadn't been scrapped, you lost any of its components that didn't go into whatever you'd made. So if you made beds out of duct tape, the adhesive would disappear instead of going into the workbench like it's supposed to.
Except the bug never existed, they weren't losing anything, and nobody ever proved it was happening. If someone wants to show like a video of it happening I'll believe it, but I've never lost mats like that in hundreds and hundreds of hours on several characters.

I mean it's really easy to tell that nothing's vanishing when I go to the store and buy 3 duct tape and make a bedroll and can still build a couple mods that require 3 total adhesive, that nothing has going missing.

Zeron posted:

It's never something that actually existed, it's a rumor that won't die due to a UI bug. You get the full materials of anything you put in a workshop, however sometimes the individual components that aren't used won't appear to be there. If you go to make something you will still have them, and after awhile they will show up. There's no difference between storing something in your workshop and scrapping it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If I know i'm going into a dungeon, I go back to red rocket to pick up my +str +carry cap power armor and go to town. Then I trudge my 500 pounds of crap back to my shop.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

What's your favorite looking armor?

I'm a huge fan of shadowed deep-pocketed combat armor. Good protection, good carry weight improvements, and looks fantastic.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Wake_N_Bake posted:

What kind of stats are you rocking? Are you hauling around seven different weapons or something? Try just going out with two or three, that can be a huge help in carry weight, especially if you went rifle or automatic, since a lot of those weight 15-20+ lbs.

Abuse booze and drugs. Grilled radstag is invaluable, but some bufftats will give you +30 weight, a beer or bottle of wine will give +10, buffout gives +2, etc etc.. You can easily push your weight high enough to get out of most areas without being encumbered if you haven't stopped to pick up every wrench and piece of lovely raider armor laying around.

Honestly after a few characters I've basically stopped looting anything that's not a hot plate or circuit board or telephone or aluminum can, though. I run around looting drugs and ammo and weapons and then dump all the weapons into my workbench and plan to scrap them when I get both points in scrapper at 23rd level. I also don't even have 1 point in lockpicking or hacking anymore. I also make a point to NOT bring my own regular armor along if I'm in power armor - that's a couple/few dozen lbs extra, and unless you step out of the power armor you'll never ever get the boosts from your other armor.

Don't ever pick up raider armor. Don't ever pick up metal armor unless it's got sweet mods you want to scrap down. DO NOT EVER pick up raider helmets, or basically any helmet you're not going to actually use immediately somehow - they're all super heavy, almost all have terrible stats, and all are worth less money than they are worth to carry. Construction helmets, gas masks, sack masks, etc, most of those weight 3-5 lbs EACH, Mining helmets are super heavy as well but they are handy to put on settlers. Any non-modded standard weapon (except energyu weapon) is not worth picking up for longer than it takes to drop it after yanking out its ammo - sawed-off shotties are even less worthwhile because they barely give any ammo.

And if you're having trouble sorting through to find your armor in your apparel section, rename the stuff you wear with a blank space or a period in front of it - it'll jump to the top of the list every time you open the list. And quit picking up trash armor. You'll get more than enough leather from animals you kill, and more than enough steel from everything else. And don't forget to mark useful materials!

My #1 early game tip for scavenging mats (outside of "leave it behind until you know you need it") is to dump EVERYTHING from some workbench you can build from, and ALL junk in your inventory, both into a nearby container.. And then go into the build menu POWER->MISC->BEACON and hit the button to highlight all the materials for the radio beacon. It'll highlight copper, circuitry, crystal, aluminum, and a bunch of other annoying to find mats that you'll constantly be low on. And then never ever turn it off. HUGE help! (If you don't dump everything out of inventory and the bench, any materials you have enough of for a "recipe" WILL NOT HIGHLIGHT when you hit the buttonn, which can sometimes be annoying as poo poo.)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 13, 2015

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm trying to optimize Abernathy Farm, but the family there seems really intent on not farming some of the crops there, giving me 10 Food instead of the possible 18. Is there a trick to get them working all available crops?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

I'm trying to optimize Abernathy Farm, but the family there seems really intent on not farming some of the crops there, giving me 10 Food instead of the possible 18. Is there a trick to get them working all available crops?

One of Blake's friends was probably kidnapped! You gotta help him!

(Fucker I just dropped off your last friend five minutes ago. The raiders at the depo haven't even respawned yet :psyduck:)

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Just when I thought the Shroud quest couldn't possibly get any better, I find four fusion cores in the room Sinjin's in.

Also managed to save Kent by popping grape mentats and telling Sinjin to shoot me instead. Then took a boatload of chems (Buffout, Med-X, Psycho, etc) and just unleashed hell with the Silver Submachinegun.

What a glorious way to finish things off.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Commando seems like a trap perk. It was the first weapon skill i invested in, and I invested in it fully. It works fine on lower difficulty settings, but on Survival it just doesn't give you enough bang for your buck compared to rifle damage. I've actually started running low on 5.56mm and .45, and with even just one rank in Scrounger, I had been fairly confident that would never happen!

It's also worth pointing out that with the exception of the Submachine Gun (which sucks except for Spray-And-Pray), I don't think there's a single weapon type which is inherently automatic. So if you want damage bonuses, you can get them for shotguns, combat rifles, and assault rifles with Rifleman just as easily as you can with Commando. Hell, easier, since they aren't automatics by default.

Plus, of course, sneak attacks are infinitely more potent with rifles.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 13, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Backhand posted:

Commando seems like a trap perk. It was the first weapon skill i invested in, and I invested in it fully. It works fine on lower difficulty settings, but on Survival it just doesn't give you enough bang for your buck compared to rifle damage.
my rapid two shot LMG says otherwise

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Backhand posted:

Commando seems like a trap perk. It was the first weapon skill i invested in, and I invested in it fully. It works fine on lower difficulty settings, but on Survival it just doesn't give you enough bang for your buck compared to rifle damage. I've actually started running low on 5.56mm and .45, and with even just one rank in Scrounger, I had been fairly confident that would never happen!

That's cause automatic receivers have stupidly huge damage penalties, and the gun perks are based off percentage which means they get that much less bonus damage than semi-autos. They don't even get advanced auto receivers, either. I made a mod that makes Commando have boosted power as a work-around to make automatics not suck massive dick, if you want to try it.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Probably been asked, but long thread:

On PS4, how do I load up/change the ammo for the Syringer?

I made up some syringes, but when I equip it, the ammo counter just says 0 for clip/magazine and 0 total.

Hold Reload and it'll open a menu for you to dump syringes into it.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I can't believe there's no Minuteman quest to retake Quincy and turn it into a settlement. The place is awesome and a bunch of those whiny as gently caress NPCs could just go home and shut up forever. Also Atom Cats etc.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So what are some great personal base locations? I've been using red rocket gas station but I want something with a prettier and more interesting view. Any suggestions?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Toadsmash posted:

I bet you probably destroyed Ironsides and his dreams too, didn't you.

double nine posted:

So what are some great personal base locations? I've been using red rocket gas station but I want something with a prettier and more interesting view. Any suggestions?

Starlight Drive-In, natch. There's a nice little tower for you already there. Plus you could make a neat little observer platform if you have the right mods.

It's also the place I learned that you can't build the teleporter on a makeshift tower WHY CAN'T I HAVE A CLEAR SHOT AT THE INSTITUTE THROUGH THAT HUH

Laura-4-Lyfe
Oct 14, 2005

Everyone's favorite friend bot, Apple!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Seashell Salesman posted:

I can't believe there's no Minuteman quest to retake Quincy and turn it into a settlement. The place is awesome and a bunch of those whiny as gently caress NPCs could just go home and shut up forever. Also Atom Cats etc.

Did you find Mama Murphy's stash there? Apparently she doesn't just need Jet. :stare:

That place is definitely going to end up modded as being a settlement at some point. It's too good not to be.

• Locked thread