Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

How come a game like planetside2 can put thousands of players on one giant map while star citizen can only do <100?

quote:

Fidelity and immersion. (Amd that there are probably gonna be hundreds of npcs around you in the final game)

quote:

ELI5: Simply put, imagine servers are pipes. Imagine the data from each individual player is a marble. PS2 isn't a very complicated game, so each player sends a small marble, and you can fit hundreds of marbles through at a time. Star Citizen involves a lot more information being transmitted to the server per player, so the big marbles being pushed through the pipe limits there only being 40-ish marbles in one pipe at the same time.

quote:

Because Planetside 2 is a game that has been released for several years now, while Star Citizen is maybe half way through development ? Don't you think it is a bit premature to compare the two ? Or do you believe PS2 had 100 players running around on a map half way through its development ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

quote:

imagine servers are pipes

Always the start of a good technical description.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

I'm going to contribute to this money discussion, but I'm going to refer to the Euro and the Pound by their well known nicknames, GER$ & UK$

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

Ben is turning into a real unrepentant douchebag on the forums lately. Seems to be the circle of life for community managers the world over though, so I can't say it's unique to Star Citizen.

I think they all see the proverbial writing on the wall. And Ben knows, with no uncertainty, that's he's likely out of a job in 2016. So the stress is beginning to show.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 12, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

imperialparadox posted:

2. The safe zone around the station is 5,000 klicks. Even though you lose your gunsight pips when you are that far out from a targeted ship on the landing platform, your ballistic rounds can travel that far and you can snipe people on the landing platform even though the UI is showing you to be out of range, meaning that you are perfectly able to kill people in the safe zone. It makes me wonder how long it takes before your rounds actually despawn, or if your fired ammunition just keeps traveling until it gets off the map? In any case, this is a good case for why the landing zone should be a covered area like it is in Elite - anything out on the platform is a sitting duck.

They all have a lifespan determined by range. And so will disappear at some point.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

“It's horrible. Some people are finding bugs that pretty much break the game in this (supposedly) alpha version that is there let people take part in the bug-finding process.”

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

D_Smart posted:

I think they all see the proverbial writing on the wall.
At this rate they've probably banned all walls for breaking rules 13, 42 and 69.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

I think they all see the proverbial writing on the wall. And Ben knows, with no uncertainty, that's likely out of a job in 2016. So the stress is beginning to show.

To be fair :lesnick: has been a complete arsehole in the past when things have been going well. He just happens to angry post when under stress too.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

G0RF posted:

TWITCH: Watch some of the CIG team watching the Prequels!

I'm sorry, I love you guys but even I have limits to what I can endure... I watched two minutes, then bailed and popped open Mr. Plinkett's review to clear my head...

I see Ben is hanging his laundry up to dry

lol

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Daztek posted:

ELI5: Simply put, imagine servers are pipes. Imagine the data from each individual player is a marble. PS2 isn't a very complicated game, so each player sends a small marble, and you can fit hundreds of marbles through at a time. Star Citizen involves a lot more information being transmitted to the server per player, so the big marbles being pushed through the pipe limits there only being 40-ish marbles in one pipe at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cZC67wXUTs

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

PHYSICS!

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

G0RF posted:

I'm sorry, I love you guys but even I have limits to what I can endure... I watched two minutes, then bailed and popped open Mr. Plinkett's review to clear my head...

do these guys ever do any real work? I mean do they know there are hundreds of customer service tickets that have been in queue for over a month?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

phosdex posted:

do these guys ever do any real work? I mean do they know there are hundreds of customer service tickets that have been in queue for over a month?

What would you rather do, watch Star Wars movies or refund unbelievers?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

phosdex posted:

no you see working on those tickets would encourage people to submit more of them

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Daztek posted:

What would you rather do, watch Star Wars movies or refund unbelievers?

dude those are the prequels

easy-peasy choice

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Nation posted:

my name is wesha on the cig's forum please ban me

LOL!! Man, that's wicked. I doubt they'd ban a whale with $30K in the game as that would be one hulluva charge-back :)

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax

I.N.R.I posted:

Y'all cum inside farm animals.

Your point?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I see Ben is hanging his laundry up to dry

lol

:sbahj:

I love how tiny the normal sized guy at the end of the couch seems compared to the 2 whales next to him.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

no im really curious. do any higher up actually know that their cs team isn't actually doing work.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

No it's ok they have been working super hard on it for a long time.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
I wonder if the Star Citizen Reddit has any threads about physics.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAuuR_TtxWc

This is a pretty funny bug

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Marauder posted:

Dr. Smart please consider investigating how to quote multiple posts in one post of your own.

I do. Except that when I'm catching up on 20 loving pages I'm not inclined to keep track of every single post I was to respond to, since I don't respond to everything.

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax

G0RF posted:

Token is there now without his unironic hat

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

That forum sig is just magical. Does CIG actually back that kind of behavior and belief too, letting people post "as a mod" and "as a backer" on the same account like it has some kind of on/off switch?

I try to avoid their forums but does their (paid) team have any past experience in this field? Yes, support is largely a thankless job where you are the one getting to speak with angry customers and help people who want to shoot the messenger after violently torturing them, but in the end you still have to remember to Be Nice. Besides, when you help someone out with a problem and turn their day around and they go from having a bad day to happy and thanking you it does feel pretty good. :shobon:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

phosdex posted:

I can't watch this Christmas special...

One of the main characters is a cokehead
There's a woman who is inexplicably in the movie, yet does nothing at all
One of them is obsessed with food
Token nobodies appear, do nothing, then leave
One of the actors only appears to care, but is only there for the money
And the sets are super cheap and nonsensical

And then you have the Star Wars Christmas Special

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Chalks posted:

Always the start of a good technical description.

LOL!! And we're just barely over the bullshit physics discussion

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Reminder: Star Citizen fans are really, really lucky! posted:

This is something that has been on my mind lately and although I'm sure most of us are aware of our fortune, I just wanted to refresh it in light of recent events.

The reason I'm writing is this: If you follow Counter Strike, or eSports in general, you might have heard about last weeks drama where Valve (developers of the game Counter Strike Global Offensive, which is one of the most popular FPS titles and being played competitively all around the world) have implemented horrendous changes to the game making it nearly unplayable for quiet a bit. Couple days later and after outrage from the community they reverted some of the changes, but leaving some bad ones still in the game. If you are not familiar with the game, let me explain those in two sentences: CS is a very skill and tactics based FPS and some of the recent changes to the game made more luck based (or random) so the line between good and skilled players and casual players blurred out.

But that is not the worst part. The total lack of communication from Valve and implementing changes that are quiet the opposite from what the community wanted and doing so in the most illogical, buggy and unreasonable way just show to sane people in the community how out of touch Valve and its developers and Valve as a company are from the game that earns them quite a bit of money and foothold in the esports scene... I could rant about this issue for days but this is not the place nor the time..

Anyway, so what has all this to do with Star Citizen?

If you are still reading this, you may have already guessed it: CIG, lead by Chris Roberts is doing the exact opposite and therefore Star Citizen fans have it very good (and of course CIG is lucky to have so supporting fans but this is another thing entirely.)

I've been following this game (and I'm a backer but don't have the hardware power to run this game for now, so I'm just observing from distance of whats going on and how development is going) for quite a while now, I think from the point where the kickstarter campaign ended and I can say in my almost 3 decades of following the gaming industry, I have never seen such an exiting development process where the devs and the gamers are having such an interaction.

Besides that, seeing devs working on overdrive and pushing updates daily, writers putting out fascinating lore and the higher ups including CR just doing everything in the most competent way while following a great vision is just wonderful and makes me crave the same attention for my favorite game (CS).

Star Citizen is a very special game that will no doubt go down in gaming history for the unprecedented development process and the incredible passion and vision behind it.

tl:dr We are incredibly lucky to have visionary who is working day and night and leading a great team of people to be able to share his passion and dream with us and I just wanted to remind anyone who has gotten out of touch (probably because of over-saturation of goodness).

Anyway, thanks CIG, thanks the people who support this. We would be living in a much better world if more striving so hard for good causes.

Note: English is not my primary language so this may have quite a lot of errors, sorry for that.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

So what he's basically saying is that the SC netcode has a signal-to-noise ratio of ~1:10, since there is very little reason for it to actually send any more information per actor than any other mixed-vehicle MP game does? That's an awful lot of pointless spam…

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Prepare your BODIES for what's coming next!! https://robertsspaceindustries.com/feature-list

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

I see they're prioritizing the Million Mile High Club.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

What about crosshairs.

E: How many people actually have access to the Million Mile High Club, kind of a weird thing to focus on.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

I.N.R.I posted:

Y'all cum inside farm animals.

If I make a joke about grooming sheep for wool will anyone get the reference

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
does the next update mean the next patch (2.0x) or "Alpha 2.1"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Daztek posted:

What about crosshairs.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

17* open world missions!

20+** random encounters!

This dedication to hand crafting stuff is really paying off for them. Because hand crafting one mission and then copy/pasting it 7 times is totally better than procedural generation which everyone knows produces boring samey content.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXGsz0ZoduY

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Daztek posted:

What about crosshairs.

E: How many people actually have access to the Million Mile High Club, kind of a weird thing to focus on.

Not if the goal is to make more people vomit cash into CIG scramble to get in.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Mirificus posted:

I see they're prioritizing the Million Mile High Club.

Cant wait to spend time in the area that features no gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Here's my obvious as hell predictions for the million mile high club

-upon release people will visit like crazy, showing screenshots of the "remarkable detail" put into it, praising roberts
-two weeks later it'll be a ghost town

• Locked thread