Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Ha ha, wow. I didn't mean to start that. I've used DVD players that have a play/pause skip track buttons on the front before as CD players and they have all been fine. Pretty sure CD playback is a solved problem at this point and you'd have to work pretty hard to find one that didn't work correctly, but sure there is junk out there that barely works to do it's main function. I do have a cheap BluRay player that locks up from time to time and hangs the whole network if I plug a lan cable into it. I would probably play a CD though. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I'm moving into a house with a floating laminate floor that's far from level (after living in a place with a concrete floor and two places that were once small storerooms above stores and therefore solid as a rock). Isolation cones seem to be expensive, is there a cheap analogue I can try?

I know at some point I'll probably give up and bolt a shelf to the plaster wall and put the turntable there, but I'd like to try to put that off for a bit if I can. :)

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
That KD-2055 turntable I won at auction is a gem. My next purchase was going to be a Uturn, but I think I will stick with this for a while and instead look for a reliable head unit, or someone locally that can tune-up my CR-820

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Pioneer BS22s are pretty well regarded for a starting point into this stuff right? I'd like to have solidly decent equipment from the get go.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Yes. I bought a pair for each of my kids and have been quite happy with them.

If you want a step up, the Elac B5 was designed by the same guy and is also getting rave reviews. They're $230 a pair on Amazon.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I got the andrew jones designed pioneer A4 AirPlay speaker and it sounds like poo poo, btw. So not everything he touches is golden. I gotta plug the port in the back to reduce the awful overpowering muffled bass it produces to get it anywhere near listenable.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I'm gonna go head and steal a phrase from motor sports and say "There's no replacement for displacement". Size really does matter when it comes to speakers and their enclosures. Bookshelf speakers are about as small as I'm willing to go and still have them sound good.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

This is for sale for £25

I know nothing about record players but quite want one, is it a good price? Is this a good manufacturer/model?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

TomR posted:

I'm gonna go head and steal a phrase from motor sports and say "There's no replacement for displacement". Size really does matter when it comes to speakers and their enclosures. Bookshelf speakers are about as small as I'm willing to go and still have them sound good.

headphones = the turbochargers of the audio world?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ghetto Blaster posted:

This is for sale for £25

I know nothing about record players but quite want one, is it a good price? Is this a good manufacturer/model?

Pro-Ject are good, yes. I would buy that in a heartbeat for that price.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ghetto Blaster posted:

This is for sale for £25

Is that a Debut Mk.1?

Not quite sure about that specific model but ProJect is one of the current heavies in the 'manufacturing new turntables' scene and the ProJect Debut Mk. 3 and Debut Carbon (Mk. 4) have both been de-facto standards for their price range and perennial goon recommendations.

So I'd be inclined to say 'yes' but I don't know how that particular generation compares to the ones I'm familiar with or how that relates to the price.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

headphones = the turbochargers of the audio world?

Sure. I was going to write more and talk about near field monitors and stuff but it stopped making sense so I figured I'd quite while I was ahead.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Can anybody identify what model this reel to reel is? As far as I can tell it may be a Wollensak T-1500.

Its eating tapes like crazy now, I have to pull it apart. The return reel moves pretty slowly so I'm thinking it might be belt.

Filmiotic
Jan 5, 2008

A man of two kinds of shootin'
Picked up a B&O Beomaster 4400 (1978) in great condition recently. 200 euros from second owner.
I'm a huge sucker for Jensen's work for B&O and I plan to atleast replace the modern sony player I have with a 4000-series Beogram eventually.

The question part: I'm a newbie at this stuff, so can anyone here give me some initial pointers to the care of an older receiver/amp?
I have no intentions of ever letting go of this thing, so I'm determined to learn to become a good owner.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Just use it.

Maybe take the top off and do a quick visual inspection for blow caps, but other than that, you'll know if anything's wrong, because a channel will be missing or will sound like poo poo.

And enjoy! :)

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Filmiotic posted:

Picked up a B&O Beomaster 4400 (1978) in great condition recently. 200 euros from second owner.
I'm a huge sucker for Jensen's work for B&O and I plan to atleast replace the modern sony player I have with a 4000-series Beogram eventually.

The question part: I'm a newbie at this stuff, so can anyone here give me some initial pointers to the care of an older receiver/amp?
I have no intentions of ever letting go of this thing, so I'm determined to learn to become a good owner.

That thing is rad. Reminds me of a flight deck.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
That is a cool looking thing.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

Filmiotic posted:

Use a multimeter to check the DC voltage across each set of speaker terminals when nothing is playing and the amplifier is warmed up. If it's more than about 100 millivolts there's something wrong with it that is potentially going to burn out your speakers. Could be failing components or could just need some adjustments.

If the numbers on the tuning dial don't match up with the locations of the radio stations it might need some replacement parts or an alignment.

If you get scratchy noises when moving any of the controls, that can usually be fixed by spraying some Deoxit inside the offending switch and working it back and forth a lot. (with the power off of course).

If the light bulbs under the front panel are out, make sure to get replacements with the correct wattage so you don't melt or discolor the plastic bulb housings (or you can use LEDs).

That's all I can think of.

Filmiotic
Jan 5, 2008

A man of two kinds of shootin'

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

That thing is rad. Reminds me of a flight deck.

The the linear brushed aluminium panel is pretty much what I fell in love with. Everything is on one axis. Same with it's tangential record player buddy.

Grapeshot posted:

Use a multimeter to check the DC voltage across each set of speaker terminals when nothing is playing and the amplifier is warmed up. If it's more than about 100 millivolts there's something wrong with it that is potentially going to burn out your speakers. Could be failing components or could just need some adjustments.

If the numbers on the tuning dial don't match up with the locations of the radio stations it might need some replacement parts or an alignment.

If you get scratchy noises when moving any of the controls, that can usually be fixed by spraying some Deoxit inside the offending switch and working it back and forth a lot. (with the power off of course).

If the light bulbs under the front panel are out, make sure to get replacements with the correct wattage so you don't melt or discolor the plastic bulb housings (or you can use LEDs).

That's all I can think of.

It spent some time in the shop between owners, during the 2010s, so not long ago. I dont have the gear or expertise to check out many of the things you guys said, but there wasn't a fire inside when I opened the thing yesterday.
Outside obvious stuff like spotting blackened/warped components or dark spots on the board I can't really tell much of the difference in what it does and is supposed to look like inside. It was astoundingly clean, so I figure it has been opened before.
The tuner functions perfectly as far as I can tell, but it can only pick up a few channels without an antenna. That's on the short list so I'll be sure to crosscheck the herzes when possible.
Besides some scratchy volume control noise it seems to be in good working condition. I'm bit on the border if I'm gonna spray it or not, the spray I have came from the previous owner so I dont know if it's any good.

Can I tell any of the potential speaker output problems by hearing, or is the meter only way to diagnose possible future problems? The amp has been run a lot during the past few years, first by the last owner and now me.

Constructing constructive conversations.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

What's a good online vendor to get blanks, spare reels, and other supplies for my reel to reel? Stick with eBay?

I want to at least have some blanks, and I really need to star playing with the machine now that I've got a good stereo system up and going.

Just to join the chorus, that is so sexy and I'd want on my shelf even if I had no use for it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Can I talk about ED-Beta here?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Shaocaholica posted:

Can I talk about ED-Beta here?

Go for it

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Just picked up one of these. Counts as vintage right?

*not mine

ED-Beta (Extended Definition - Betamax). Pretty much the last hurrah for Betamax. DVD resolution(ish) with Hi-Fi audio. I really don't know much about them but I got one of the flagship decks and 10 new Sony metal tapes.

edit: holy, it was $3300 in 1988!

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 7, 2015

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Filmiotic posted:

Besides some scratchy volume control noise it seems to be in good working condition. I'm bit on the border if I'm gonna spray it or not, the spray I have came from the previous owner so I dont know if it's any good.

A can of electrical contact cleaner is $5 or less at the hardware store. Just make sure you read the can carefully and get electrical contact cleaner, not lubricant or anything else. If you're comfortable opening the unit up, it's trivial to use.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
My father wants to get into listening to vinyl (been talking about it as a possible interest/hobby for years) and wants a decent turntable for christmas. Seeing if you guys have any input on a package that is $300 - $500 that includes a table, cartridge, needle, external pre-amp, whatever. Whether that's an all-in-one dealy or a list of individual components for a modular turntable. I know he mentioned something about an old Denon receiver that he'd probably use but that thing has to be decades old. Not sure if it would still 'do the job' or I should suggest to another family member to maybe buy one so he gets a complete experience. Not sure what speakers he has either. Any input would be nice to give my father a good first experience. If you feel a certain component that is rather expensive but worth it feel free to mention it.

I do audio work for film for a living so I am at least a little familiar with how all this works, just know nothing about the equipment. Even my knowledge of speakers is sort of useless as it's limited to professional monitors that aim to have a flat/accurate response. Which isn't always the best when simply trying to casually enjoy music.

I know I could probably get some good deals scouring ebay/craigslist for a good deal on a 1200 or something but since it's a present I'd rather it all be new.

Thanks for any input, and if a similar thing was asked recently just let me know and I'll backtrack the thread.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

the Gaffe posted:

My father wants to get into listening to vinyl (been talking about it as a possible interest/hobby for years) and wants a decent turntable for christmas. Seeing if you guys have any input on a package that is $300 - $500 that includes a table, cartridge, needle, external pre-amp, whatever. Whether that's an all-in-one dealy or a list of individual components for a modular turntable. I know he mentioned something about an old Denon receiver that he'd probably use but that thing has to be decades old. Not sure if it would still 'do the job' or I should suggest to another family member to maybe buy one so he gets a complete experience. Not sure what speakers he has either. Any input would be nice to give my father a good first experience. If you feel a certain component that is rather expensive but worth it feel free to mention it.

I do audio work for film for a living so I am at least a little familiar with how all this works, just know nothing about the equipment. Even my knowledge of speakers is sort of useless as it's limited to professional monitors that aim to have a flat/accurate response. Which isn't always the best when simply trying to casually enjoy music.

I know I could probably get some good deals scouring ebay/craigslist for a good deal on a 1200 or something but since it's a present I'd rather it all be new.

Thanks for any input, and if a similar thing was asked recently just let me know and I'll backtrack the thread.

The Audio-Technica LP120 for $250 is probably your best option. It's got a built-in preamp that can be used if the denon doesn't have a phono input, it's automatic, and the cart that comes with it is totally adequate but replacable if he wanted to.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

I dig my Rega P1. Looks cool, sounds good, is upgradable and can be had for around $450. Buy a cheap preamp with it and you're in business.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Qwijib0 posted:

The Audio-Technica LP120 for $250 is probably your best option. It's got a built-in preamp that can be used if the denon doesn't have a phono input, it's automatic, and the cart that comes with it is totally adequate but replacable if he wanted to.
That's the model I got after looking at used 1200's for a while and not finding anything I was super happy about. It's operated flawlessly for nearly a year with intermittent use (couple times a week I'll play an album or two), and the sound quality is good. That said, I'm no audiophile, but it's not really cracking into the price bracket of that type of thing. Overall, I'd recommend as well.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Maybe a stupid question, but if one suspected both their turntable and speakers of being pretty equally lovely, which one would be better to replace?

On a more specific note, my setup has started putting out occasionally scratchy audio recently, and I'm not sure if it's the turntable or receiver that's causing the problem. Which is the more likely culprit?

JVC L-A21 turntable (got this as a hand-me-down, pretty sure it's crap but I replaced the needle on it recently)

Denon PMA-525R receiver

I'm not married to anything in my setup, so if something needs to be trashed I'll pony up for an upgrade.

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.

Millions posted:

Maybe a stupid question, but if one suspected both their turntable and speakers of being pretty equally lovely, which one would be better to replace?

On a more specific note, my setup has started putting out occasionally scratchy audio recently, and I'm not sure if it's the turntable or receiver that's causing the problem. Which is the more likely culprit?

JVC L-A21 turntable (got this as a hand-me-down, pretty sure it's crap but I replaced the needle on it recently)

Denon PMA-525R receiver

I'm not married to anything in my setup, so if something needs to be trashed I'll pony up for an upgrade.

I'd say check your needle for dust buildup, check your tonearm connections etc. I notice that some of my really dusty records will build up gunk under the needles on my 1200s and cause scratchy listening; so much that I have to occasionally clean it out.

A friend of mine complained about his setup sounding bad, one channel cutting out and scratchy music. He thought it was his receiver going out, but it turned out to be his needle pretty much was toast. I let him borrow one of my spare OM Ortofon DJ-S carts and that fixed everything up.

You said you just replaced your needle, so I could be totally off base here though. Does it happen at all volume levels? Can you make it worse fiddling with bass/treble/volume? Is your turntable grounded well? Those are the things I'd check.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Just found this silver faced Realistic CD-1400. Playback sounds good so far. No skipping or trouble reading discs. Pretty good for a laser going on 30 years. I love thrift shops.

Edit: Forgot to mention this thing is one more towards the all silver 80's stereo setup I've been amassing as my secondary (sound only) system.

So far:
Amp: Pioneer A-B
Tuner: Pioneer F-7
Turntable: Technics SL-QL1
Tape Deck: Pioneer CT-9R
Equalizer: Pioneer SG-9

Now I just need some speakers, a reel to reel, and I guess maybe an eight track player to cover all the standardish bases.

Captain Blaargh fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 10, 2015

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

djhaloeight posted:

I'd say check your needle for dust buildup, check your tonearm connections etc. I notice that some of my really dusty records will build up gunk under the needles on my 1200s and cause scratchy listening; so much that I have to occasionally clean it out.

A friend of mine complained about his setup sounding bad, one channel cutting out and scratchy music. He thought it was his receiver going out, but it turned out to be his needle pretty much was toast. I let him borrow one of my spare OM Ortofon DJ-S carts and that fixed everything up.

You said you just replaced your needle, so I could be totally off base here though. Does it happen at all volume levels? Can you make it worse fiddling with bass/treble/volume? Is your turntable grounded well? Those are the things I'd check.

Embarrassingly enough, this seems to have fixed the problem! I'm usually pretty good about wiping off dusty records, but I guess some gunk made its way onto the needle. Thanks!

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
I accidentally hit play on my automatic turntable while I had a 10 inch record on there and the needle dropped onto the slipmat and 'played' for a split second before I rescued it. Is it possible this did any huge/permanent damage to it? It still seems to sound fine.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Replaced all seven electrolytic capacitors on my SL-23, and that appears to finally have fixed the stability problem! I've never seen the strobe pips so steady. Daft Punk doesn't sound drunk anymore. The replacement for the huge 1000uF capacitor on the main power board is like 1/3 the size of the original part, heh. The leads almost didn't reach.

helsabot posted:

the needle dropped onto the slipmat and 'played' for a split second before I rescued it

The Worst Sound.

If it sounds fine, it's probably fine.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 13, 2015

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I'm a horrible newbie at this, but I just got some of my dad's old equipment and I have no idea what I'm doing. I ordered some new speakers but was able to take his turntable (a model cj55) and a dyna model PAS preamp. Does anyone have any recommendations for forums or user manuals or anything. He hasn't used them in decades I don't think, but they seem to be in good condition. Will I need to snag any more equipment to get things up and running?

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Stan Taylor posted:

I'm a horrible newbie at this, but I just got some of my dad's old equipment and I have no idea what I'm doing. I ordered some new speakers but was able to take his turntable (a model cj55) and a dyna model PAS preamp. Does anyone have any recommendations for forums or user manuals or anything. He hasn't used them in decades I don't think, but they seem to be in good condition. Will I need to snag any more equipment to get things up and running?

You'll need a power amp along with the preamp. The preamp will include a phono stage to take the turntable signal and amplify it enough for the power amp and equalize it. What specific model is the preamp? It could be a tube model which you shouldn't power up before getting it checked out.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
You have to register (for free) to get it, but here's the link to the manual: http://www.vinylengine.com/library/cj-walker/cj-55.shtml

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Here are some pictures of this stuff. He had a huge old tube amp but I think that's what was broken and caused him to shelf all this stuff for so long. Im worried that getting this stuff up and running will end up more costly than just buying new equipment, even though these are probably better quality than anything I could afford. Thanks for the help already. I might swing by our old audio equipment store and see what they can do for me.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

That's a very, very nice looking PAS-3. It is tubed and you will want to get it checked out. It will likely need to be recapped and cleaned. Once done, though, it will last forever.

If you posted that picture over at audiokarma.org people would be drooling.

It's possible that the amp was a Dynaco ST-70. It had a few poor design choices, which could have easily caused it to fail. If you could find the amp, they're easily repaired and modified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

ColdPie posted:

Replaced all seven electrolytic capacitors on my SL-23, and that appears to finally have fixed the stability problem! I've never seen the strobe pips so steady. Daft Punk doesn't sound drunk anymore. The replacement for the huge 1000uF capacitor on the main power board is like 1/3 the size of the original part, heh. The leads almost didn't reach.

Maybe I should finally do mine.