Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Schroeder91 posted:

I wish some sumos would come hoon it up at my work. I would definitely "observe and report join in"

Same. We've got tons of staircases and hills on this property to have fun with. Just gotta tell the lieutenant I was doing a 10-14 off property with them. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Verge posted:

Thanks guys. I probably am being too tense. I'll relax a bit and try and hit a track.

Talk yourself through it. It feels a bit embarassing at first but nobody can hear you, just keep repeating "loose arms, look through the turn, smooth on the power" etc as you go. Breaking your inappropriate subconscious reactions is one of the hardest things you can do, and forcing them into conscious motions is IMO the easiest way to do it.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Talk yourself through it. It feels a bit embarassing at first but nobody can hear you, just keep repeating "loose arms, look through the turn, smooth on the power" etc as you go. Breaking your inappropriate subconscious reactions is one of the hardest things you can do, and forcing them into conscious motions is IMO the easiest way to do it.

That's a good idea, thank you. This is great because today is my first hazardous day of the year: icy morning. Don't worry, I'll tell you guys if I don't make it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I've seen a video of you riding. Every day is a hazardous day.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Woah! I do this too! I have a small set of "commands" I'll repeat verbally like "lock in, stabilize, trailing, power, look through, and oh my gently caress is that a deer"

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Chichevache posted:

I've seen a video of you riding. Every day is a hazardous day.

True, I'm a squid, but I'd rather die by poor judgement rather than poor skill.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

They're not completely exclusive.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Verge posted:

Crashing is a skill. :c00lbert:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Verge posted:

I'd rather not die, personally. :v:

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

YF19pilot posted:

I respect that.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

YF19pilot posted:

I know you want to stand out from the crowd, but all the cool kids are doing it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah, man. I would rather just die in a crash than break all those bones and get all tore up! That's why I don't wear any gear. If a crash is bad enough to kill me without gear on, I don't want to survive!

Joking aside, I can't count how many times I've heard this. :eng99:

I actually had a prospective rider excitedly telling me that "for my first year riding, you know, I just want to be a SQUID!!! Those guys are so cool! I want to just ride the fastest thing I can get and never wear gear and just do crazy stuff!!". After that, I made an excuse to leave, started my bike, and got out of there.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Coydog posted:

I actually had a prospective rider excitedly telling me that "for my first year riding, you know, I just want to be a SQUID!!! Those guys are so cool! I want to just ride the fastest thing I can get and never wear gear and just do crazy stuff!!". After that, I made an excuse to leave, started my bike, and got out of there.

:cripes:

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Coydog posted:

Yeah, man. I would rather just die in a crash than break all those bones and get all tore up! That's why I don't wear any gear. If a crash is bad enough to kill me without gear on, I don't want to survive!

Joking aside, I can't count how many times I've heard this. :eng99:

I understand wanting to be a squid on some levels (stupidly quick, stunting) but ASPIRING not to wear gear?

Serious question: would a spine protector be useful (with all the rest of the gear, not naked like a dumbass) on the street.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Verge posted:

I understand wanting to be a squid on some levels (stupidly quick, stunting) but ASPIRING not to wear gear?

Serious question: would a spine protector be useful (with all the rest of the gear, not naked like a dumbass) on the street.

If you don't crash, you don't need gear. Seems simple enough.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Verge posted:

Never hurts to have more gear, right? Most jackets/suits are made with a little extra torso room to fit a spine protector/vest of some sort.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Never hurts to have more gear, right? Most jackets/suits are made with a little extra torso room to fit a spine protector/vest of some sort.

Sweet. Been thinking about safety lately, especially poo poo that prevents me from being crippled or killed. Thanks guys.

Are there only mx ones or do they have street specific, like with boots? If anyone can shed light. Note: I don't care about aesthetics.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Verge posted:

Sweet. Been thinking about safety lately, especially poo poo that prevents me from being crippled or killed. Thanks guys.

Are there only mx ones or do they have street specific, like with boots? If anyone can shed light. Note: I don't care about aesthetics.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-field-armor-stryker-vest

These can be worn under most suits/jackets. Just don't be a squid and wear only that and nothing else or you'll be a (temporarily) living stereotype. :cripes:

Also, depending on your jacket/suit, there may simply be an insert available for it, if it didn't come with one.

fake edit: http://www.revzilla.com/back-protectors

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Tactical Lesbian posted:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-field-armor-stryker-vest

These can be worn under most suits/jackets. Just don't be a squid and wear only that and nothing else or you'll be a (temporarily) living stereotype. :cripes:

Also, depending on your jacket/suit, there may simply be an insert available for it, if it didn't come with one.

fake edit: http://www.revzilla.com/back-protectors

Sweet. Thank you. I'm not gonna say I'm not a squid but I plan on keeping my tentacles attached: I'll wear my normal gear (jacket, etc), I just want extra spine protection because I realized I don't have armor that will do anything to protect my back from, say, sliding into a rail.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Verge posted:

I wear a Forcefield L2K Evo every time I ride a street bike.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

BlackMK4 posted:

Thanks;ooh it's on sale!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

:hfive: As a bonus, never have to buy different shapes if you own multiple jackets from different brands.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's SO thin and it conforms so well to your body. A+, worth the money over the thick Alpinestars Bionic I originally rode with.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

BlackMK4 posted:

It's SO thin and it conforms so well to your body. A+, worth the money over the thick Alpinestars Bionic I originally rode with.

Will this turtle shell seriously provide top level protection from spinal injuries if it's thin as you say? Serious inquiry, I will believe you if you say you have faith in it.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

The material it's made of is almost like a non newtonian fluid - flexible normally, instantly absorbs shock and stiffens when hit. I'm on my phone and can't find the link atm, but I know that the CE2 level for back protectors means no more that 9nm of force transmitted upon impact, and most back protectors hover a little under that, like 8nm or so. The forcefield stuff only transmits around 5nm iirc.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

M42 posted:

The material it's made of is almost like a non newtonian fluid - flexible normally, instantly absorbs shock and stiffens when hit. I'm on my phone and can't find the link atm, but I know that the CE2 level for back protectors means no more that 9nm of force transmitted upon impact, and most back protectors hover a little under that, like 8nm or so. The forcefield stuff only transmits around 5nm iirc.

Practical application of materials science is fuckin :science::hf::black101:

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

M42 posted:

My dick was hard at non-newtonian.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Verge posted:

My dick was hard at non-newtonian.

Somebody punched you in the crotch?

M42 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 30, 2015

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

M42 posted:

Yeah, but he only felt up to 5Nm of force.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Verge posted:

Will this turtle shell seriously provide top level protection from spinal injuries if it's thin as you say? Serious inquiry, I will believe you if you say you have faith in it.

The stuff is magical. Check it out:

http://www.d3o.com/markets/motorcycle/
http://www.d3o.com/wp-content/uploads/d3olab/D3O-Set-foam-data-sheet-111115.pdf

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

M42 posted:

lol

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
Go to the gear thread for advice on it, but yeah, protect your loving back if you can. I have a Manis D2 insert for my Dianese Razon and I'd feel naked without it.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I was approaching an intersection on a one way street and some fuckwad decided to ignore like 40 one way signs and turn directly into my lane, right in front of me. :dings:

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Exploring some new crazy back roads and found some dirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l50Mb_KJjVo

It was a bit slimy from when the mud was covering the road.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Shadowlz posted:

Exploring some new crazy back roads and found some dirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l50Mb_KJjVo

It was a bit slimy from when the mud was covering the road.

yeah the first few times that happens will scare the shit out of you

beware of road paint after/during rain

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Tactical Lesbian posted:

yeah the first few times that happens will scare the shit out of you

beware of road paint after/during rain

Is your text weird, or is it me.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

SaNChEzZ posted:

just you? idk

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SaNChEzZ posted:

loving Japanese encoding on the font. Really annoying.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Yeah, it's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Yeah, every time they post I feel like I'm in an oldschool RPG.

• Locked thread