Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Eej posted:

1:1 ratio of Infantry to Artillery with 2-4 Cavalry is ideal but it can get expensive as hell. The reason for this is that Artillery can shoot at 50% effectiveness from the backline and give 50% of their defensive stats to the regiment in front of them. So ideally you just have Mercs eat the losses in the front as Infantry while also being stronger, pound for pound, than your opponent's infantry assuming they don't have a filled out backline full of cannons (the AI never goes 1:1 IIRC). Also helps that Mercs auto upgrade in 1.14 now too!

VVVVVV: You can get around your front line dying off by having a reserve of Merc Infantry one province away that you reinforce with when you take losses

Mercs auto upgrade now? I don't remember seeing that in the patchnotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az
Dec 2, 2005

Tendronai posted:

you have to keep your front line more than 50% cavalry or they start taking the 25% tactics hit

Could you elaborate on that?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The Ottos never converted anything in previous versions either, I think because they get +3 heathen tolerance as a tradition, and the AI is coded not to bother converting provinces unless their being wrong religion penalises them?

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 13, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

az posted:

He's got it backwards. You get a tactics penalty if your army is 50% cavalry or more, and it's based on your total composition, not just your front line.

Unless you're a horde, in which case you can have armies of nothing but cavalry with no penalty at all.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mountaineer posted:

You don't need it for Dutch Republics. You get an extra +1 RT per year when you have the Statists in power, and there are no re-elections so no tradition loss from that. It's real easy to stay at 100 tradition all the time, only occasionally losing a few points from random events.

Yeah +RT would be great for a Merchant Republic, but with Dutch Republic you're pretty permanently at 100 RT without any effort.

Reasons why Dutch Republic is crazy strong:
-no regencies
-good ruler stats and some control over keeping really good leaders with Orangists or putting the Statists in power and electing a better one
-trade efficiency is good, Heavy Ship combat ability is probably the most useful naval combat bonus other than +maneuver
-also gets good autonomy reduction from government
-RT is not an issue ever
-royal marriages
-estates
-you can get Plutocratic which combines great with Administrative (+20% Goods Produced, yes please)

Merchant Republics are also good but you miss out on marriages, estates, and your autonomy reduction is a lot weaker. You also have to actually manage your RT.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

az posted:

You need to have more infantry than cavalry or you take some pretty heavily penalties. Lots of people do 8/4 or 10/4 or whatever.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Autonomous Monster posted:

The Ottos never converted anything in previous versions either, I think because they get +3 heathen tolerance as a tradition, and the AI is coded not to bother converting provinces unless their being wrong religion penalises them?

Which got me thinking about the Indian sultanates, and why they go on massive conversion sprees despite having the same bonus and that reminded me of this wonderful little blip in history, and now I'm sad that Din-i Ilahi isn't in the game as a religion, and I can't play a game spreading it across India and then the world.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Another Person posted:

Mercs auto upgrade now? I don't remember seeing that in the patchnotes.

Yeah I didn't notice when it got announced but was pleasantly surprised in one of my games when they upgraded. I'm finally using mercs like they're supposed to be used because I used to never want to bother dismissing/rehiring them.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
How important is the extra morale point in EU IV, the one you get at military tech 15 ?? I currently play as Austria, have the extra morale from quantity and religion and my 60k army repeatedly gets stomped by much small armies (25-30k) from Bohemia. They have 5 morale compared to my 4 and 16 mil tech to my 13.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Hammerstein posted:

How important is the extra morale point in EU IV, the one you get at military tech 15 ?? I currently play as Austria, have the extra morale from quantity and religion and my 60k army repeatedly gets stomped by much small armies (25-30k) from Bohemia. They have 5 morale compared to my 4 and 16 mil tech to my 13.

Not so much morale but the other bonuses, 3 mil tech levels is a lot. You're behind in Tactics as well. Don't fall behind in mil tech.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Pellisworth posted:

Merchant Republics are also good but you miss out on marriages, estates, and your autonomy reduction is a lot weaker. You also have to actually manage your RT.

I think this question has come up before but I take it estates are a net benefit to a country and not a hindrance? I haven't done much with them yet but the minimum autonomy thing is really psychologically off-putting to me.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Pellisworth posted:

Not so much morale but the other bonuses, 3 mil tech levels is a lot. You're behind in Tactics as well. Don't fall behind in mil tech.

I wanted to max out quantity asap and am also halfway through quality, but it looks like this was a mistake. Really underestimated the impact of mil tech.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jabarto posted:

I think this question has come up before but I take it estates are a net benefit to a country and not a hindrance? I haven't done much with them yet but the minimum autonomy thing is really psychologically off-putting to me.

The biggest benefit I can think of is handing newly conquered provinces to the Clergy, which gives -2 RR and +2% Missionary Strength. Among other things Nobles can give you 15% Fort Defense in assigned provinces, Merchants give +50% Trade Power.

You can also recruit discounted Inquisitors and Theologians, siphon Monarch Points, etc. but that's trickier to do while keeping everyone happy.

So yeah I'd say they're generally a net benefit.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah Estates are good. The bonus you get are really nice/useful, it's easy to just keep them at the bare minimum to avoid the disasters, and if you just give out newly conquered lands to them then the autonomy hit isn't even really that bad because it's a minimum, not just a flat add on top of whatever a province has. Meaning that if you take over a province with 50% autonomy, giving it to an estate only actually costs anything once that autonomy comes down and gets stopped by the 25% minimum.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

az posted:

As mentioned I'm a dummy who used the wrong word, but if your army ever reaches a point where there's too much cavalry on the front line (depends on tech group, mostly 50%) they lose efficiency and take a 25% hit to their tactics, so they start taking more damage and dying faster. That's why you generally don't see people recommend too many cavalry units for their stacks.

Hammerstein posted:

Very important, tech 15 gives +1 morale to bring you to a flat 4, while your policy only gives 10% which brings you to 3.3. Tech fifteen also gives you a tactics boost so they're taking less damage from you as well.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Sheep posted:

To expand upon this, one of their three estates (which they lose upon westernizing! so be forewarned if playing them) is called the Dhimmi, which boosts non-Muslim tax income but prevents conversion, so by definition they need to keep a fair bit of their territory unconverted.

They have 4 estates.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hammerstein posted:

1 point of morale is a huge difference. If a regiment runs out of morale, they completely retreat from battle even if they're at 99% manpower. But in addition, they've also got an advantage of +0.25 tactics, +0.30 infantry fire power, and +1 artillery fire power, which makes a massive difference. If you're that far behind on tech as a western nation, then you've probably invested way too many mil points in other things. Military tech should be your number one priority for military points no matter what. Never fall behind in military tech.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Hey I started a big war with the Turks to mess them up and hopefully knock them out of #1 on the score charts, and during this war I have discovered they decided to convert a handful of provinces after all! It just took them until the mid-18th century to start.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Imagine four estates in a one province minor. Say a direct copy of the estate with the lowest influence gets sent to the top of the estates and takes the place of the first estate. The formerly first estate becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the great powers list.

English parliaments work the same way.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Hammerstein posted:

I wanted to max out quantity asap and am also halfway through quality, but it looks like this was a mistake. Really underestimated the impact of mil tech.

Best rule of thumb is to wait until your 2nd or 3rd Idea set to grab a Military one. Then only invest in a Military idea when you are ahead of your time in military tech (ie you'd take a huge penalty for researching the next level) but not so close that you'll delay your next Military tech by the time the years catch up.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

TTBF posted:

The problem I'm having is that I don't see a way to colonize the entirety of the interiors without letting the colonizers colonize and then taking it from them. Even going from 0 colonial population to 1,000 in three years (minus travel time) doesn't seem like it'll be fast enough to grab everything.

e: Aside from Canada, New England, and Brazil, I do have everyone cut off. Conquered enough of the shoreline for that, but got to the Northeast of North America too late.

For my ideas guy run, my traditions were +2 colonists, +20 colonial growth, then went exploration, expansion, quantity for maximum colonist. You will generally be able to colonize everything with ease. Once you grab a few more +colonial growth/colonist chance buffs from policies, your colonies will finish pretty fast. Just make sure colonial enthusiasm is always running and it shouldn't be a problem. Once I started colonizing australia after finishing up the americas, travel time took longer than the actual colonization in a few instances.

Edit: If you're also going for First Come, just drop down to 1 colonist and however much colonial growth you can squeeze in. Gold province start highly recommended.

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 13, 2015

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Estates would be interesting if they were like Rome / CK2 rebel nations. The game would gain a lot of depth if it had a simplified character system too.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Cynic Jester posted:

Edit: If you're also going for First Come, just drop down to 1 colonist and however much colonial growth you can squeeze in. Gold province start highly recommended.

I didn't think this was possible on such a tight points budget but I just checked and it is. I didn't know that the cost of a policy increased the earlier you got it, but you can squeeze an extra colonist in about halfway through the ideas. Thanks for that information, I'll probably start over again.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
The wiki says that the native assimilation bonus for colonization policies is currently not working. Is this still accurate with the latest hotfixes, or is the wiki out of date/wrong?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I'm playing Castille. I have a King and a female heiress. Aragon just popped a Queen with a male heir. They're at war with Venice. I have not gotten the Iberian Wedding. Is it due to them being at war? The year is 1486.

Ed

Yes. Just popped. Dis gone be gud.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 13, 2015

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Base MTTH on that event is 120 months.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

VDay posted:

Yeah Estates are good. The bonus you get are really nice/useful, it's easy to just keep them at the bare minimum to avoid the disasters, and if you just give out newly conquered lands to them then the autonomy hit isn't even really that bad because it's a minimum, not just a flat add on top of whatever a province has. Meaning that if you take over a province with 50% autonomy, giving it to an estate only actually costs anything once that autonomy comes down and gets stopped by the 25% minimum.

My only complaints about estates are:

-It is too difficult to lower Influence, give more direct options for doing so (even at high cost to the player).
-Merchant/Burgher requirements for provinces (10 development or 5 Trade Power) are way too harsh and can really gently caress over nations in not-Europe who have mostly low development provinces

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I actually think letting you pay to lower influence would make dealing with the estates way too easy, at least with how the system is implemented now. At least the way I see it, it should be a gamble to bump an estate up to 60-70 influence. Having some kind of emergency "Oh poo poo" button to drop influence and prevent a disaster would negate a lot of that potential danger. You'd just always let estates hang out at 60+ influence because you'd know that if poo poo hit the fan you'd be able to save it.

I get that it's annoying when just feeding an estate enough provinces to keep them happy brings them up to a dangerous level, but I think that does a decent job of simulating these factions that are fighting for power inside your nation. With that said I wouldn't exactly be sad if they did add something like that into the game, but then I hope it comes along with some other tweaks to the whole estate system so that it doesn't just turn into another extra layer of mechanics that doesn't really impact how you play but gives you passive bonuses.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

VDay posted:

I actually think letting you pay to lower influence would make dealing with the estates way too easy, at least with how the system is implemented now. At least the way I see it, it should be a gamble to bump an estate up to 60-70 influence. Having some kind of emergency "Oh poo poo" button to drop influence and prevent a disaster would negate a lot of that potential danger. You'd just always let estates hang out at 60+ influence because you'd know that if poo poo hit the fan you'd be able to save it.

I get that it's annoying when just feeding an estate enough provinces to keep them happy brings them up to a dangerous level, but I think that does a decent job of simulating these factions that are fighting for power inside your nation. With that said I wouldn't exactly be sad if they did add something like that into the game, but then I hope it comes along with some other tweaks to the whole estate system so that it doesn't just turn into another extra layer of mechanics that doesn't really impact how you play but gives you passive bonuses.

That's fair, but Merchants/Burghers are still way too strict in needing 10 Development or 5 Trade Power. It fucks anyone outside of Europe fairly hard.

As in, well gently caress I have to spend hundreds of MP boosting a province to 10 Dev because otherwise the Burghers are throwing a fit and provinces that fit their criteria are extremely few.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
welp I've vassalised Korea, and I've beaten up Manchu and forced her to give Korea all of her cores back

now I'm colonising the Philippines and building up my infrastructure (temples, workshops, and +FL buildings mostly) while I wait for the mission to drop that gives me a claim on all of Manchu's provinces.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Got a little overconfident in my Qing game, decided to eat a massive amount of China because of course I can handle 200% overextension. As soon as I did it I recalled that there had been several buffs to overextension since the last time I played and sure enough....ouch.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

That's fair, but Merchants/Burghers are still way too strict in needing 10 Development or 5 Trade Power. It fucks anyone outside of Europe fairly hard.

As in, well gently caress I have to spend hundreds of MP boosting a province to 10 Dev because otherwise the Burghers are throwing a fit and provinces that fit their criteria are extremely few.

Or don't play a republic. Only in republics (excluding merchant and noble republics) do the merchants have any expectation of getting land.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Finished the Spain -> Castille game I've been posting about the last couple of days. Ended up going quite well all in all. Brazil, Mexico, Central America, Florida, Louisiana, and the Caribbean were all my colonial holdings at some point or another but most broke away here and there when I was down and kicked. Ended up loving demolishing France for the first such incident (as well as taking Roussilon) over the course of, I don't know, six wars? I hadn't originally intended to take land across the Pyrenees but their temerity was too much to endure. You can see the results. They learned their lesson; don't set Haiti free. :colbert: I also had PUs with Naples and Sicily for most of the game, and Bohemia for a good 150 years until they broke away.

In the last hundred years I decided to kneecap the Ottomans so they went from very rich and powerful to this, having had to release as either peace conditions or to rebels Albania, Greece, Ardavin, Persia, Armenia, Georgia, someone else in the Caucuses, and having once held the entire Balkans except Ragusa. They also held North Africa as far as Benghazi, so I took that for myself. The only other two nations in North Africa were Morocco, who kept pretty much to their historical borders, and Tunis, who stretched from Oran to Benghazi. They don't anymore. Syria was the best friend of the Ottomans and contributed vast manpower every time I fought their alliance, but after the final war where they were evicted from Europe, Syria turned on them and pushed right to the Med coast where they previously had been about at the borders of modern Iraq. Such as said borders are.

PU Bohemia was very useful in fighting both France and the Ottoman Empire. Then they got involved in some drat fool thing with Lithuania so I was like "lol peace gl" because Jesus Christ look at that Ultra-Lithuania. I had very little interaction with them, but one was key; whilst preparing for the first Ottoman War I saw they were rivals, so I managed to grab an alliance with them. Me, Bohemia, Lithuania, and our various vassals and such put together an army of about 800,000. The Ottomans, Syria, and whatever other jackasses they had managed about 190,000. Still, it was an incredibly tenacious defense from the Turks and took us a long-rear end time to grind them down. e; Also lol, Muscovy hasn't seen Moscow since they got kicked out in about 1730, and since then they've been pushed beyond the Urals.

All in all EU4 with all the DLC is an incredible game.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 13, 2015

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
hum... the mission requires that I not own any provinces in manchuria. do you think it might disqualify me if my vassal owns them? because I've been waiting like twenty years and the mission hasn't dropped.

beefytomato
Nov 12, 2012
Anyone know what's going on here?

http://imgur.com/Kuy4WhO

This happened as soon as I loaded my last save. The game crashes if I click on any of my colonies' provinces, and all my alliances and diplomatic stuff are gone, aside from an embargo by France for some reason.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
It's pretty lame that being the lesser partner in a union clears all of your permanent claims

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
You know how sometimes you go to the Declare War screen to see if anyone would join the war and just get a general sense of what's going on and then you accidentally hit Enter and actually declare a war?

I think the computer just did that against me.

e: Bleh the screenshot looked all weird. But Kazan just declared war against me and my allies. So it's their 16,000 men against me as Lithuania, France, Bohemia, Teutonic Order, Sweden and Theodoro and our ~160k men.

VDay fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 13, 2015

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I don't know much about the Personal Union mechanics; what causes unions to break, generally? I got baited into declaring war with allied Poland, not realizing that they'd lost their PU with Lithuania. Last I'd checked, Lith was at about 30% liberty desire. I don't think Poland got into any wars in the interim, and they're still allied.

I'm hoping I can play hide-and-seek with massive Muscovy armies long enough for Poland to get its poo poo together, but they're getting beaten by a 3-star Tverian general lol.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Redmark posted:

I don't know much about the Personal Union mechanics; what causes unions to break, generally? I got baited into declaring war with allied Poland, not realizing that they'd lost their PU with Lithuania. Last I'd checked, Lith was at about 30% liberty desire. I don't think Poland got into any wars in the interim, and they're still allied.

I'm hoping I can play hide-and-seek with massive Muscovy armies long enough for Poland to get its poo poo together, but they're getting beaten by a 3-star Tverian general lol.

negative prestige is probably the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

What's a fun, challenging but not too difficult achievement to go for on my first ironman run? A Kaiser Not Just In Name starting as Austria? I've gotten really bored of my Portugal run because I'm just sitting around waiting for things to get colonized, so I want something that makes me think.

• Locked thread