Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Auk14HP posted:

Don't suppose you'd take just one more new player for the upcoming season? :(

I just found this thread and I love OOTP.

Crap, I didn't see your post because you posted it while I was composing mine/simming. Maybe I'll sneak you in next year.

I'm going to be travelling most of the day so no sim today - but I've got the save files all tucked away, so hopefully I don't mess something up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Chuck "Lawdog" Johnson is really close to tearing it up and hitting all the dingers, very proud of him :3:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Carlosologist posted:

Chuck "Lawdog" Johnson is really close to tearing it up and hitting all the dingers, very proud of him :3:

His power rating skyrocketted to the high 80's with last year's practice, spring training, and a bit more maturity under his belt. He'll be making a full season of starts in Colorado, if he stays healthy. Let the dingers flow :getin:

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Joey Guns has 39 saves in the rookie league! But for some stupid reason they won't promote the guy with 25 K : 41 BB! What the hell!

Auk14HP
Dec 12, 2005

Screw this crap I've had it, I ain't no Mr. Cool

JosefStalinator posted:

Crap, I didn't see your post because you posted it while I was composing mine/simming. Maybe I'll sneak you in next year.

I'm going to be travelling most of the day so no sim today - but I've got the save files all tucked away, so hopefully I don't mess something up.

No worries, I realize I came into the thread after you said you were done adding new prospects.

On the off-chance that you do allow me to sneak in...

Name: Kirby Bissell
Nickname: The Vacuum
Position: 2B

Player Type:
Avg. Contact,
Amazing Gap Power,
No Power,
Good Eye,
Avg. Avoid K's.
Kirby is an ultra 2B fielding-wise. And if you're cool tweaking the personality traits I'd like to go with high loyalty, low greed, and high work ethic (Kirby is a team player!).

Other: Other details can be random.

Thank you for your consideration!

SAMB0
Jul 9, 2004

Space Bear.
Destroyer of Worlds.

Inspector_666 posted:

Sambo, step up your game. I wanna be turning 4-6-3 DPs with you and Goldy already.

I'm buried in the depth chart! Hopefully something can happen and we can see him up there slappin doubles!

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I just noticed that Jim's Power has actually grown to a whopping 6! That's a 50% increase over the 4 it used to be! And there are fielding stats! Hurray A ball!

Maybe he'll actually make it up to AA one of these days.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:rip: Cash Considerations, you were traded once and it was funny.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!
I think Squires might be the first goon pitcher to make the show. Unfortunately, looks like he's kinda sucky even for a #5, and should get smacked around for a bit.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I completed my travels and hopefully all your files are still good!

Just to provide some encouragement, you don't need to be 50+ rated to make the majors. Plenty of dudes in the 20 or 30's ratings get up there, even only briefly.

I had one player in my very first time playing OOTP, and he was 35/35 rated. He played for me for 3 seasons, averaging an OPS+ of 125 and playing solid outfield defense. Why he would outperform better rated players, and for 3 seasons, is beyond me.

You don't have to be the best to make the majors, or even get regular starts. If your dude gets a few decent dice rolls and ends up on a subpar major league team, he can eke out a decent career of mediocrity. I will keep track of your total income across your career and highlight those of you who made good bank. I think Sahin even made 500k in his incredibly short time in baseball, so you'll all end up with a nice sum by the time you retire!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Josef I want you to know that updates to this thread are all I live for right now.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

Josef I want you to know that updates to this thread are all I live for right now.

Never you fret - I've relocated so I need to do some computer maintenance, but I'll either do one late tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

I'm running out of weed and valium, when are we playing more baseball D:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

canadianclassic posted:

I'm running out of weed and valium, when are we playing more baseball D:

I finally got everything working and as far as I can tell I managed to preserve all our players and info, so I'm doing a season right now!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm back and the files all transferred successfully, so here we go!

As a reminder, here's how all of you stand at opening day:

2020 Season

Our fifth season begins with four goons in the major leagues (some would be demoted shortly after opening day). Chuck Johnson and Krusty Unts have firmly entrenched themselves in the Rockies and Cubs lineups. Rusty is batting second in Chicago and Johnson is batting cleanup in Coors field. He's living the power hitter's dream, and will easily reach 30-40 HR's and 100+ RBI's if he can stay healthy and realize his 80+ power.

We also have our first pitching debuts, though they're much less dramatic. Both are relief pitchers, Mike Bukowski in Miami and Jia-Jun_Lin "Junkyard" Squires Jr. in Minnesota. Both are fresh and relievers are generally eased into the game in low leverage situations, but with time they may find themselves moving up to the coveted closer position. Miami is in contention after last year's second place finish, but Minnesota shouldn't see a whole lot of save situations, but will have less competition among its staff.

The season starts off in an absolutely insane manner, with one of the biggest trades of the decade, as well as a oddly timed one. Only a few weeks into the season, the Nationals trade their best player and generational talent Bryce Harper to the Red Sox, in exchange for one of their best players, Xander Bogaerts. Here's their stats to help understand why this is big:

Harper

Bogaerts

Boston appears to be making the calculation that Bogaerts is on his way to decline while Harper is maintaining his skill, but remember, both players are only 27 years old and it's entirely possible that Bogaerts could become good again, even after a few seasons. The other players are pointless to the deal, but the big thing that made it possible was Föstólfur "Iceberg" Eyjafjallajökull, the top prospect in the Nationals organization and an 80 potential 1B.

Now, I'm not really sure if this is a brilliant move to gain a potentially rebounding superstar SS and top prospect, or trading away an elite once in a generation type player for hopes and dreams, but it does make some sense given the two clubs positions. The Nationals will not compete for a while, while Boston was only a few games out of the playoffs last year. Harper can definitely add 3-4 wins alone, even without Bogaerts.

And of course, if Eyjafjallajökull (gently caress you for that name) can't develop, then the nationals will really be ashamed. Better hope he's the real deal. You don't find a lot of guys with 80 potential contact and 95 potential power.

The good news - you're batting well and already have 6 dingers 25 games into the season. The bad news - your loving leg and back muscles barely work, and you've now missed months from quad, oblique, and hamstring issues. Get it together Chuck Johnson! You've got a chance to lead all goons in dingers, don't waste it!

That's better. Except the few dingers part.

2020 Amateur Draft and Signing Results

While we thought last year would be the final year, an aging and increasingly cirrhotic Lowtax is rumored to have ordered the spawning of one more goon, paying for it from the proceeds of the forums' newly instituted 100 dollar registration fee. After tearing open a hole in his cheeto encrusted egg with his bare hands (and a ring), the abomination known as Kirby "The Vacuum" Bissel is born.

2.2 2B Ken Bissel - San Diego Padres Signed! $840,000

Not bad, Ken gets drafted early by the Padres, but gets a relatively small signing bonus. Maybe it's because he's less greedy? Either way, he joins up with the Padres organization, but is a bit behind his fellow goons.

Chuck Johnson comes back with a fury, and finishes with an NL player of the week and 16 home runs by the All-Star Break.

2020 All-Star Game

Familiar faces are dwindling. I do find the Giants developing Kyle Crick into an elite pitcher to be great, though. Not sure how even year bullshit works in this universe though, since they got shut out of the playoffs in 2016 and 2018.

You'll notice a familiar face if you look closely. Yup, Chuck "Lawdog" Johnson was chosen to go to the All-Star game, making him the first All-Star goon! Congrats!

Also note that Alex A. Rodriguez is still really good. He has taken the reigns from A-Rod, who apparently retired in 2018. I would like to point out his HR total at retirement:

:devil:

The second half of the seasons sees goons start to blossom, and I'm bombarded with news stories. I'm going to focus on firsts, awards, and MLB events (and funny poo poo) more than anything else, but the events will be preserved in your player's history.

Glorious "Communist" Bear shows his leftist credentials, redistributing 3 balls to the cheap seats in one game. Unfortunately, like most modern communists, he is insufferable to every other play with his constant attempts to explain to them "Marxist dialectics". His teammates all pray for the day he's traded.

-Callahan wins player of the week (minors)
-New Concept wins a player of the week (minors)
-Nelson Frazier V wins a player of the week (minors)
-Simon MacGregor wins a player of the week (minors)
-Kirby Bissels wins player of the week! (minors) (already?)

-Black Sambo wins player of the month! (minors)
-Seth Iroth wins player of the month! (minors)
-Harry Callahan wins player of the month! (minors) (good work finishing the job from your good week!)

Hate Communist Bear all you want, but he destroyed all opposition in the Dominican League, earning the MVP award. He's obviously way past that skill level, batting .357, and the Rangers really need to promote him soon.

Richard Vaughn III also masters his minor league setting, pitching an effortless 1.42 ERA to win the league's MVP award.

Krusty "C" Unts refuses to let Johnson get all the attention. He's managed a player of the week award in the MLB, where it counts, and continues to bat well on a good team. He's actually somehow pushed Jorge Soler out of his job, despite being lower rated. Excellent work, Unts.

But before Unts worry about Johnson stealing his thunder, disaster strikes. The worst possible thing happens to our dinger happy first baseman:

:siren: CHUCK JOHNSON IS TRADED TO THE GIANTS! :siren: For those who don't know, ATT Park in San Francisco is where left handed power goes to die. Only one man, the great Barrold Bonds, has ever tamed that park. Johnson is good, but I don't know if he can put up the same dinger numbers away from Coors.

ATT Park

Coors Field

I'm really angry. The Rockies have actively avoided all power, and sent a cleanup hitting slugger first baseman away from the ideal dinger scenario to the worst possible one. :rip:, your chance at leading the league in dingers. The trade itself was silly to begin with (traded for a 73 potential SS in the Rookie leagues? :-/)

That's all for our goons... or is it?

We reach critical mass, and 12 goons make it to the majors in 2020! It took a bit longer than I expected, but their time has finally come. Each has actually made major league starts too, some more some less, and you'll see their MLB stats at the end of this post. Notably, it's 10 batters and 2 pitchers.

2020 Regular Season Standings

The most surprising final results come out of Chicago and Austin. Chicago is eliminated from the playoffs after 3 WS titles in a row, and the A's also miss their first playoff since 2014. Austin makes the biggest improvement over last year, improving from 44-118 (approaching the records) to a perfect .500 record of 81-81. Their years of first and second round picks have begun to pay off, and they're starting to compete with the non-expansion teams. Memphis is still lagging but will be there too, eventually.

With so many goons now in the majors, we're practically guaranteed some goon postseason play.

And yet... only Raul Ordonez on the rangers (starting at SS), RD Mangles on the Rockies, and Chuck Johnson on the Giants (batting cleanup against RHP) are the only three on playoff teams. The Rockies lose the tiebreaker and face the Giants in the wildcard, so at least one goon will be knocked out immediately. And Mangles isn't even in the starting lineup.

Bah. Chuck Johnson goes 0-3 with two strikeouts, as the Giants somehow lose 2-1 in Colorado. In Colorado they lost 2-1 in a game with only 3 runs scored. How does this happen.

Despite advancing, R.D. Mangles doesn't even see a start through Colorado's elimination in the division series. He'll see more action next year, most likely.

Even more frustrating, Raul Ordonez doesn't get any playoff appearances at all. The Rangers made it all the way to the WS, but kept playing the 36 rated Ti'Quan Forbes. This is after starting Ordonez, who played pretty well, for much of the latter part of the season. The AI is dumb as hell.

Congrats to the Pittsburgh Pirates, who win their first world series (and appear in their first WS) since 1979. The Texas Rangers now have the longest championship drought in baseball - no championships since their creation in 1961 (including their time as the Senators). After them are the Astros, also championship-less. Baseball has not been kind to Texas, which now has three teams (Austin!), second only to California's 5. And yet no championships.

2020 MLB Awards
NL MVP: Troy Tulowitzki
AL MVP: Mike Trout
NL Cy Young: Zach Wheeler
AL Cy Young: Luis Severino

Nice to see Trout win another , his fourth, and he probably deserved more. Tulo wins an MVP award too, at 36 years of age. I guess there's nothing left to break, or by 2020 he's just entirely made of metal and replacement parts.

None of the rookie goons receive any votes :(.

Also, Ron Gardenhire was manager of the year and led the WS champion Pirates, lol.

2020 Retirements

Notable retirements this year include Chase Headley and Dustin Pedroia.

2020 Hall of Fame Results

Time for another Hall of Fame vote. Bonds was on the precipice of induction, as was Schilling - will this finally be the year?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi7IPZAcP78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQeJ8YQuqh8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJVNo6ne_vw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL3vNXIsEPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNTUiQIX6yU

All is right in the world.:siren: Barry Bonds is in the baseball Hall of Fame. :siren:He was one year away from elimination, but he did it, in January of 2021.

Some other guys did things too. Curt Schilling has one last chance to get in. Rivera, Guerrero, and Thome are also creeping up.

The only, only other thing worth noting on this ballot, is that this could have been one of the greatest ballots ever. Somehow, a certain Ichiro Suzuki only received 47.5% of the vote.

We could have had a ballot where Ichiro Suzuki and Barry Bonds would have shared a stage to accept their Hall of Fame induction. But the writers considered him inadequate.

In honor of Ichiro, one last video. I can now transfer my rage to his lack of votes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZpfuV51kOE

2021 Opening Day Goons

There's also you scrubs, but after Barry, you should be ashamed at all of your stats:

(Unless youre listed as debuted in the player stats excel sheet, you haven't actually started yet)

Potential and Overall Stats

MLB Batting Stats

MLB Pitching Stats

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 12, 2015

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

HOCKLES MADE THE SHOW. HOCKLES STILL RATED 20 FOR SOME REASON.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So many things to do! I'll cover our second retirement, and update the excel sheet a bit more, tomorrow. I'll try to upload the league's files tonight too see you can see your player's stat breakdown by season!

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Okay, maybe it's not time to write off the Big Man as of yet! Still at 25/68, made it to AAA, and up to a lean and trim 495 lbs!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
27 years old, still in A-ball. I don't think this is happening.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Should change his name to R.D. MQuadrupleANGLES

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Lol .209 Avg and .204 BABIP, still OPS'd >.700. All those walks, and all that power potential. And he plays in a shoebox. :eyepop:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My ISO is goddamn hilarious.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Player of the Month but still can't make it out of A ball. Dang it.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Smirnov's finally out of rookie ball! Only took four years.

Somehow a 135 wRC+ over his first three years wasn't enough to get promoted, I wonder how he hit in 2020.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
So Bukowski has 111ks in 61 innings with 40 earned runs and 67 walks. That's interesting...

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I think that's a AA and improved potential on my boy Slaps! :swoon:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Can I make a new character once my miserable failure inevitably retires to become a high school gym coach?

Auk14HP
Dec 12, 2005

Screw this crap I've had it, I ain't no Mr. Cool
"The Vacuum" playing Short Season A ball after just one year and the Padres playing as badly as they are? He'll be catching up with the rest of the goons in no time :smuggo:

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Gotta love that .206 average and 31% K rate, but has a decent OPS. Raul is what I always dreamed of.

Now if Texas would give him some ABs in the playoffs maybe they'd actually win a drat Series.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Auk14HP posted:

"The Vacuum" playing Short Season A ball after just one year and the Padres playing as badly as they are? He'll be catching up with the rest of the goons in no time :smuggo:

Yeah but, at the end of your minor league journey you'll be on the Padres.

Good to see Ammat O'Goku in the Majors and hope he gets more playing time. Last I checked he was blocked because the D-Backs already had two pretty good catchers on their roster.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Yeah but, at the end of your minor league journey you'll be on the Padres.

Good to see Ammat O'Goku in the Majors and hope he gets more playing time. Last I checked he was blocked because the D-Backs already had two pretty good catchers on their roster.

Ammat suffers because he plays backup to Michael Perez, a 28 year old 80/80 rated catcher :(. Given your own high ratings, I wouldn't be shocked if you got traded.

John Wilkes Booth posted:

Gotta love that .206 average and 31% K rate, but has a decent OPS. Raul is what I always dreamed of.

Now if Texas would give him some ABs in the playoffs maybe they'd actually win a drat Series.

I'm still flabbergasted by this. Not a single at bat despite you playing at a valuable position, in favor of a 29 rated guy :-/

Doltos posted:

So Bukowski has 111ks in 61 innings with 40 earned runs and 67 walks. That's interesting...

This is what happens when you have great stuff and horrible control. Your BB/9 is above 8 :catstare:

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!
hey! Squires didn't completely suck

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Cupid.. what happened man?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

JosefStalinator posted:

This is what happens when you have great stuff and horrible control. Your BB/9 is above 8 :catstare:

Holy gently caress I didn't even see that. So my guy literally either strikes you out or makes sure you're on base with no inbetween. He's got like a .224 average against too this is insane.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Doltos posted:

Holy gently caress I didn't even see that. So my guy literally either strikes you out or makes sure you're on base with no inbetween. He's got like a .224 average against too this is insane.

You've created a monster - a TTO pitcher. Though in this case we'd have to refer to the Two True Outcomes - the only thing missing is that his loving bonkers GB% (67% - which is absolutely insane) keeps him from giving up dingers.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

A Mitch Williams for a new generation.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

TheMcD posted:

You've created a monster - a TTO pitcher. Though in this case we'd have to refer to the Two True Outcomes - the only thing missing is that his loving bonkers GB% (67% - which is absolutely insane) keeps him from giving up dingers.

Throw some hit batsmen in there and we've got ourselves a Marmol.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Okay goons I was just writing the next season when the most amazing thing happened. I don't even know what to say and I have to stop mid-writing.

The league owners got together in November and had a debate about the DH. I was not paying attention, but I feared the day would come. In EVERY other MLB sim I've ever done, the NL has the DH forced on it, without exception. Usually it happens in the first season.

I knew it was inevitable, and I checked the league evolution just now, and nearly died.

:vince: :getin:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I can't believe Barry used his newly acquired hall of fame status to abolish the DH as punishment for no american league team signing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
"Bring back a new level"

• Locked thread