Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Huh, the Taj Mahal looks really different from how I remember it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

I can't remember if this has been posted before, but I just saw this lovely earth ship on Facebook:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Komojo posted:

I can't remember if this has been posted before, but I just saw this lovely earth ship on Facebook:

Is that actually an architectural failure though? I mean did an architect have any hand in producing it?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Delivery McGee posted:

Steen Hall, Stephen F. Austin University, Nacogdoches, TX. Here's the room designer flash app on the school website; note that the available furniture doesn't actually all fit in the room, and the angles you can rotate the furniture to don't line up with the walls.

Edit: I made it mostly fit.

I'm not sure if the one chest will open, and you'd probably have to climb over the other one to get to the desks.

I may or may not know of a secret government installation in one of those.

(It's just the county's disaster-response control center; they outgrew the bunker under the old city hall/fire station, so they rented a floor in the AT&T building.)

I used to live in Garner Apartments on the SFA campus. Same design, just a single tower instead of two. Good luck fitting furniture in a pie-shaped room...

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Phanatic posted:

The Shard's gotten a lot of bad press but when I was there I thought it was a pretty loving cool building. I mean, yeah, it's pretty aggressive and if *every* building looked like that it'd probably hurt your eyes to look at. But in and of itself I like it:

The Shard Ain't That Bad by Phanatic, on Flickr

The thing about the Shard is how out of place it is: that part of London is mainly typical 3 - 5 storey mixed use buildings dating from Victorian to modern. The Shard comes erupting out of that low-rise sprawl like a zillion meter high alien spacecraft. It really is strikingly incongruous.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Komojo posted:

I'm pretty sure the buildings in Zardoz were supposed to look weird.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

The thing about the Shard is how out of place it is: that part of London is mainly typical 3 - 5 storey mixed use buildings dating from Victorian to modern. The Shard comes erupting out of that low-rise sprawl like a zillion meter high alien spacecraft. It really is strikingly incongruous.

Oh no my dystopian city looks like a dystopian city

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

satanic splash-back posted:

Oh no my dystopian city looks like a dystopian city

Well also it looks stupid and like poo poo so that's 2 negative points in its favor, or 3 depending on if you count "stupid and like poo poo" as two points

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Mike the TV posted:

Another weird Raleigh decision

Has that got a revolving/revolting restaurant in the top floor? It looks like one of those.

Edit: on closer examination only some of the lights are turned on, so that top floor is partitioned. Maybe it used to be revolving?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Mike the TV posted:

Another weird Raleigh decision

:hfive: What up?

GotLag posted:

Has that got a revolving/revolting restaurant in the top floor? It looks like one of those.

Edit: on closer examination only some of the lights are turned on, so that top floor is partitioned. Maybe it used to be revolving?

No, it was (is?) a restaurant, but it never did revolve, unfortunately (although if you read the comments in the link below, there are people who swear it did). Raleigh's not that cool. Years ago I was friends with a guy who was a cell service field tech, and his company had a site on the roof of that hotel, which meant he had access to it. We went up there one night -- best view of the city is from that roof.

Here's a bit more about it: http://goodnightraleigh.com/2011/08/raleighs-second-round-building-the-holiday-inn-downtown/

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Komojo posted:

this looks like it's straight out of a claymation film

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Ehhh, not so much. St Thomas's hospital is right next to it and is maybe half the height and thats a grey brown concrete monstrosity. Most buildings along the river around there are about 10 floors, then there's the cluster of towers around the natwest building and bishopsgate.

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Taking old buildings and needlessly covering them in glass. It's ok a few times but not all the time everywhere on everything.

Same. I like the cheesegrater one as well. The walkie talkie is loving dumb though.

Speaking of dumb ideas, there's a tower in south ish London that has three wind turbines in the roof but theyre permanently disabled because the transient vibrations pissed off the people that owned the penthouses. So they're left with three motionless turbines as a monument to incompetence.

I was told that another reason they don't turn is because the building is positioned wrongly. The prevailing wind direction is east-west, but the turbines are oriented for north-south, because the architect wanted them to be visible from across the river in central London.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Frazzbo posted:

I was told that another reason they don't turn is because the building is positioned wrongly. The prevailing wind direction is east-west, but the turbines are oriented for north-south, because the architect wanted them to be visible from across the river in central London.

Windmills have been set on pivoting bases since they were invented centuries ago.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

Windmills have been set on pivoting bases since they were invented centuries ago.

These ones are set in holes in the building, so they can't pivot.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's been posted itt before, I think. It's the one shaped like a giant electric shaving razor:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I do actually like the way it looks but the failed turbines are just hilarious. I can just imagine some poor turbine engineer trying to explain why it wouldn't work and being told they had no vision.

Mountain Dew Code Bread
Mar 20, 2008

I'm surprised this thread has gone this long with nobody mentioning the ultimate hideous tourist trap: Hollywood and Highland Center

Because nothing says Hollywood like elephants on giant columns, a pointlessly enormous wall with a tiny tower stuck onto it, and loads of empty retail space.

When it comes to an actual architectural design failure, nothing in Los Angeles beats Pershing Square.

Originally, it was just an ordinary park in the middle of downtown

The park went through a lot of changes over the years, until sometime in the early 90s some hotshot architect was brought on to improve the park, and went on to completely ruin it:

Oh? What's that in the far right of that last picture you ask?

Parking ramps! Completely blocking off the sides of the park to pedestrians. Not only that, but the actual park was raised up for some inexplicable reason, and the only entrances to the park are on the corners.

Needless to say, the only people who frequent the park after the renovation are homeless people, and the city has been extremely reluctant to do anything about the park because they're making loads of money off the parking garage below. Although apparently they're currently having a competition for a new park design, with the parking garage intact of course.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That park and its suckiness is faithfully recreated in GTA V.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Consist posted:

I'm surprised this thread has gone this long with nobody mentioning the ultimate hideous tourist trap: Hollywood and Highland Center

Because nothing says Hollywood like elephants on giant columns, a pointlessly enormous wall with a tiny tower stuck onto it, and loads of empty retail space.

This actually kind of works for me because I'm pretty sure that this set up is based on the set of Babylon in the D.W. Griffith silent epic "Intolerance: Love's Struggle Throughout the Ages (1916)" As a nod to Hollywood history, I cant think of many better options for monumental. It's tacky but its Golden age of Hollywood tacky.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 13, 2015

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Looks like a half-assed rebuilding of the set of Babylon from D.W. Griffith's Intolerance.

The revamp of Pershing Square sounds like an attempt to make a Union Square for Los Angeles, including the giant parking garage, but somehow they drew in more homeless people than the one in San Francisco. How the gently caress did they do that?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Kavak posted:

The revamp of Pershing Square sounds like an attempt to make a Union Square for Los Angeles, including the giant parking garage, but somehow they drew in more homeless people than the one in San Francisco. How the gently caress did they do that?

It's just a wholly unpleasant place. All pavement and steps and sharp angles in the middle of a stand of skyscrapers isn't really what anyone is looking for in a park. I've been there a few times and it always seems like people are actively trying to avoid being there at all.

I can't help but love Hollywood and Highland, though, because

remusclaw posted:

It's tacky but its Golden age of Hollywood tacky.

And you have to remember it's practically attached to Grauman's Chinese Theater, and just down the street from the Egyptian.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Consist posted:

Used to work there. Parking was horrendous anywhere in its 2 block vicinity. Also the bottom floor of the parking lot is a good place to smoke weed.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
http://gothamist.com/2015/12/12/photos_the_khaleesi_is_the_most_ins.php
http://gizmodo.com/this-nyc-skyscraper-design-is-like-the-chrysler-buildin-1747445141

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Property owners with views of where this building would hypothetically be going up should fight their asses off to get this thing built.

A giant totem pole going up in Manhattan would be a great statement.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Building looks like it belongs in a video game.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Yeah, that looks like it's right out of a Final Fantasy game.

For my part, I hate the Bank of America Tower in NYC. It just looks too fat for its height, and the curvy part clashes badly with the angular part.

Jaramin fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 14, 2015

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Consist posted:

When it comes to an actual architectural design failure, nothing in Los Angeles beats Pershing Square.

Originally, it was just an ordinary park in the middle of downtown

The park went through a lot of changes over the years, until sometime in the early 90s some hotshot architect was brought on to improve the park, and went on to completely ruin it:

Oh? What's that in the far right of that last picture you ask?

Parking ramps! Completely blocking off the sides of the park to pedestrians. Not only that, but the actual park was raised up for some inexplicable reason, and the only entrances to the park are on the corners.

Needless to say, the only people who frequent the park after the renovation are homeless people, and the city has been extremely reluctant to do anything about the park because they're making loads of money off the parking garage below. Although apparently they're currently having a competition for a new park design, with the parking garage intact of course.

Ricardo Legoretta's renovation of the park is generally reviled. They have been making some improvements to the play area that are akin to moving deck chairs on the titanic right now.

The design competition has attracted serious interest but they are ranking architects above landscape architects, which is a pretty grave mistake. I'm also butt hurt because my firm, who is respected in be field, didn't make the top 10 cut.

The garage will remain because the garage provides revenue that can fund the park, potentially. Most public urban open space is struggling to develop self-sustaining revenue streams as park and rec departments watch their budgets dwindle.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Phanatic posted:

The Shard's gotten a lot of bad press but when I was there I thought it was a pretty loving cool building. I mean, yeah, it's pretty aggressive and if *every* building looked like that it'd probably hurt your eyes to look at. But in and of itself I like it:

The Shard Ain't That Bad by Phanatic, on Flickr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNj_XaINXac

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

This is cool as gently caress - neo futurist deco would be an interesting direction in architecture

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

It's like someone thought this wasn't enough

http://www.corcoran.com/nyc/Listings/Display/2546956

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

"And in high winds, excess citizens are conveniently swept off and fall to the ground below, fertilising the earth with their blood."

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Is it bad if I think the concept art for that NYC tower is super rad? Because drat, it's like they took the generic glass & metal buildings of the last decade or so and made some kind of retro-futuristic art deco monolith out of it.

also i loved grinding down that huge sloped side of the LA park building in tony hawk 3

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Could be fun on the street if snow and ice builds up on all those overhangs.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I need to see it in airborne and robot form before I can say for sure if I like it.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Yeah, I'd like one of the offices where the view is completely obscured by a giant wing, thanks.

You may as well wonder if they'll actually build the ziggurat from Metropolis. Bunch of nerds.

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007
Its a house designed specifically for humans who live with twenty cats.

http://dornob.com/remodeled-house-has-insanely-fun-cat-centric-interior/

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It almost works :(

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Lt. Tanaka posted:

Its a house designed specifically for humans who live with twenty cats.

http://dornob.com/remodeled-house-has-insanely-fun-cat-centric-interior/

And one perpetually terrified goldfish by the looks of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

This thing would look tacky and out of place even if it was built in Dubai

• Locked thread