Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!
"Stopped cats from dying of alcohol poisoning after walking over damp tavern floors and cleaning themselves."

Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I've got a ranger stuck trying to pick up equipment I seized at a trade depot.

Bonfiesta
Sep 4, 2012
Really looking forward to the next DF LP, guessing you guys are waiting for a stable version. Perhaps you could even allow players to retire the fortress and go adventuring between turns.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
What's next on the docket for 0.42.xx and beyond?

:frog: posted:

Yeah, there's going to be a mix of continuing fixes of new and old, and some simple old suggestions, and some adventure mode cleaning in terms of rep/rumors/quests/etc. so things make more sense and are easier to navigate. Not all for next time, but spread out over some releases. At some point during that process, when I feel like it's all a bit more stable, we'll try a 64 bit test. Then after that we'll transition into the next set of features, whatever ends up being selected -- we might peel off an artifact test release before we go for the full myth generator, or not, it depends on how it all has to hang together.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop

Hellequin posted:

"Stopped cats from dying of alcohol poisoning after walking over damp tavern floors and cleaning themselves."

Amazing.

I feel like that's right up there with "geese poo poo iron thrones instead of eggs" as one of the top Dwarf Fortress bugs.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How the hell did the geese bug even happen in the first place?

Bonfiesta posted:

Really looking forward to the next DF LP, guessing you guys are waiting for a stable version. Perhaps you could even allow players to retire the fortress and go adventuring between turns.

If we did an LP right now a lot of people would complain about their dwarf dying because they climbed up a tree and the overseer didn't notice. I've lost track of how many dwarves have nearly died in the branches of trees, and I don't even have them gathering fruit anymore. Sometimes they just decide they want to go die in the canopy.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Internet Kraken posted:

How the hell did the geese bug even happen in the first place?

Toady was doing a test case to see how the code would handle creation of arbitrary objects, forgot to change it back before releasing.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
I've got wolves, a Hunter with a crossbow, bolts and a quiver, and a bridge to the place that has wolves. WHY WON'T HE HUNT HELP ME.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Some bugs are fine for LP purposes, like feline alcohol poisoning. Some are not, like having an entire military refuse to wear any armor.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Snollygoster posted:

I feel like that's right up there with "geese poo poo iron thrones instead of eggs" as one of the top Dwarf Fortress bugs.

I prefer the metaphysical implications of "Stopped ghosts from being able to realize dreams after they are dead."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Is that realize as in have a new dream on their list, or realize as in "I finally have realized my dream and am now a grandfather"?

Because the second one should totally be an alternative for slabbing.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:iit:-"It'll be easy to diversify when we understand undeath better."

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

MANGOSTEEN CURES P posted:

:iit:-"It'll be easy to diversify when we understand undeath better."

Do you turn into a necromancer if you read the source code?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Trundel posted:

I've got wolves, a Hunter with a crossbow, bolts and a quiver, and a bridge to the place that has wolves. WHY WON'T HE HUNT HELP ME.

I have never had hunters reliably do a drat thing. When I want to hunt something I just tell my military to go smash it.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Why, when I put marksdwarves on battlements in front of fortifications, do they insist on jumping through them(??) to fight goblins instead of firing at them?

And how do goblins keep getting in through them?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Is there a roof? They could be just climbing over.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Tunicate posted:

Is that realize as in have a new dream on their list, or realize as in "I finally have realized my dream and am now a grandfather"?

Because the second one should totally be an alternative for slabbing.

Exactly the second.

bay12 bug tracker posted:

Steps To Reproduce: Find a married dwarf couple where the husband dreams of a family. Wait a few months and kill the male. Wait for baby. Check husband's thoughts.

moller fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Dec 13, 2015

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

If we did an LP right now a lot of people would complain about their dwarf dying because they climbed up a tree and the overseer didn't notice. I've lost track of how many dwarves have nearly died in the branches of trees, and I don't even have them gathering fruit anymore. Sometimes they just decide they want to go die in the canopy.

I lost my two best miners to this poo poo. I don't know what I can do other than maybe turn off gathering and recovery labors for everyone and hope for the best.

I think Toady may have been too generous with how quickly visitors will petition to stay. I have more humans in my militia than dwarves, and enough bards to put on the world's lamest music festival.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I haven't had any dwarf get stuck in a tree yet somehow, and it's not for a lack of trees in my current fort. Maybe they're climbing them to get away from a hostile somethingorother, and then getting stuck?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

GenericOverusedName posted:

I haven't had any dwarf get stuck in a tree yet somehow, and it's not for a lack of trees in my current fort. Maybe they're climbing them to get away from a hostile somethingorother, and then getting stuck?

Count me amongst those not having this issue either. Not one dwarf stuck in a tree and I had been gathering up anything I could in my desperate lust for paper.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

That should have been left in.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
You need to ensure that bolts are assigned to your huntsdwarves in the military -- supplies screen. I assign mine bone bolts because I don't want them hunting rabbits with steel bolts.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

My military wears armor just fine :shrug:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Is it true that in this version a dwarf in a critical combat situation might enter a marshal trance and suddenly begin to lead a parade?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Ramc posted:

Is it true that in this version a dwarf in a critical combat situation might enter a marshal trance and suddenly begin to lead a parade?

yea, they'll lead a parade. a parade all over your rear end in a top hat :twisted:

I don't actually know, I just assume every rumored bug about DF is true.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

MrWillsauce posted:

My military wears armor just fine :shrug:

I could not for the life of me get it to work. The new patch fixed it supposedly so I guess it doesn't matter now.

I had one dwarf get stuck in a tree but that was probably due to the zombie attack and zombie head ending up on top. The step ladder remained somewhere he could have reached and I built several staircases that he kept swinging away from like a gibbon until he finally decided to stay still.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

After unretiring a fort, all my fort visitors had their AI break and are now just standing still in random spots doing nothing. They're also all listed as Hostile on the unit screen. The military petitioners work fine but I can't see their skills anymore. And every so often, I'd get a notification that some random human got enraged at nothing in particular and just sit there seething quietly until they calm down.

Humans might just be very passionate arguers though. Those two events happened on the same date.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I never knew alcohol poisoning was even a thing in the game. Can dwarves die from that or is their threshold impossibly high?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Feature request: Goblins who disguise themselves as dwarves. They can be found out when they die of alcohol poisoning, unlike a true dwarf.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

super fart shooter posted:

I never knew alcohol poisoning was even a thing in the game. Can dwarves die from that or is their threshold impossibly high?

Dwarves are specifically coded to not suffer as much from the negative effects of alcohol.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 13, 2015

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

super fart shooter posted:

I tried to lower their tolerance but wasn't able to get negative effects. Didn't test it for more than few months though.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Kennel posted:

I tried to lower their tolerance but wasn't able to get negative effects. Didn't test it for more than few months though.

Maybe try lowering their liver size too, they have bigger ones in the raws and I wouldn't be surprised to find that affects things.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't think the size of the liver actually matters when it comes to alcohol consumption because it doesn't actually perform any function. In fact, none of the default organs other than the brain do. Theoretically its possible for a creature to survive after losing any organ other than the brain, even the heart! Of course losing an organ causes such incredible amounts of bleeding that it will almost certainly kill the creature.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't think the size of the liver actually matters when it comes to alcohol consumption because it doesn't actually perform any function. In fact, none of the default organs other than the brain do. Theoretically its possible for a creature to survive after losing any organ other than the brain, even the heart! Of course losing an organ causes such incredible amounts of bleeding that it will almost certainly kill the creature.

Lung function is also modeled, though I'm not sure what happens if both lungs are ruined, whether it just makes the creature winded or will kill them from asphyxiation.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Pretty sure the heart has some tag on it that, if wounded, will cause fatal bleeding.

There's a few other things that will kill you if hosed up; being disemboweled or having the artery in your neck severed are death sentences.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Neurion posted:

Lung function is also modeled, though I'm not sure what happens if both lungs are ruined, whether it just makes the creature winded or will kill them from asphyxiation.

Ah yeah, I forgot about lungs. Lungs control breathing in creatures that need it, so if they lose function in them they will suffocate.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Pretty sure the heart has some tag on it that, if wounded, will cause fatal bleeding.

There's a few other things that will kill you if hosed up; being disemboweled or having the artery in your neck severed are death sentences.

Major arteries connect to the heart so damage to it causes massive bleeding. Like I said its technically not the heart loss that kills you, just the fatal bleeding that follows in about a second. You can have a creature in DF that bleeds but doesn't even have a heart. Having a heart actually makes you weaker.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Wasn't there someone who had a miner get exposed to magma, then had a legendary medical dwarf treat her using adamantine thread, bandages, and splints, and eventually the miner went back to work, still swathed head-to-toe in adamantine and now functionally impervious to all harm, because every part of her body was essentially destroyed?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

Wasn't there someone who had a miner get exposed to magma, then had a legendary medical dwarf treat her using adamantine thread, bandages, and splints, and eventually the miner went back to work, still swathed head-to-toe in adamantine and now functionally impervious to all harm, because every part of her body was essentially destroyed?

That rules

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The nature of combat in Dwarf Fortress means you can survive with truly bizarre injuries. I once had a fort where a terrible disease was being passed around that caused the victim's skin to rot and fall off. It didn't cause bleeding though, so despite gradually losing all their skin these dwarves didn't suffer any negative effect from it. They were however constantly spewing miasma from their rotting bodies that pissed off everyone nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
How are the effects of inebriation modeled in adventure mode? Do you start staggering around like in Nethack, or is it just a temporary stat loss or what?

E: I would find out for myself, but my porcupine woman is too busy aggravating geese for the blocking practice.

UnbearablyBlight fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 13, 2015