Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Drunk, high, or something else?

And yeah I was hoping you didn't try to stop him with your vee-dubs, he might've splatted you and kept on going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Driving earlier this evening about 40 down a four lane busy road near my house when I happen to spot a hooded face sticking out from behind a telephone pole. He looks left, right, sees that there are cars coming in both directions... and promptly steps out in front of me. After spotting him I'd taken my foot off the gas and was poised to slam on the brakes so I was fine, but I see two of the other three cars lock up their brakes to avoid killing this guy.

I just can't imagine what was going through his head.

"Hmmm, cars are coming in both directions, I'm wearing ALL BLACK CLOTHING with absolutely nothing reflective, and I'm standing behind a telephone pole so no one can see me. Time to cross!"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sounds related to my skater buddy a few ways back. Honestly a small part of me still thinks he was trying to collect on some insurance scam or some poo poo.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
He blew a .17, though he didn't act drunk.

Being AZ though he's properly hosed.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

There's been a crazy amount of wrong way drivers in the Valley this year, or at least there seems to be. Is it like that elsewhere too?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Geirskogul posted:

He blew a .17, though he didn't act drunk.

Being AZ though he's properly hosed.

To be fair, if you are driving the wrong way on a freeway and blow a .17, you sort of deserve to be properly hosed. Better him than a family going the right way on that freeway when he decided to go faster and not smash his car into the median wall.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Portland has been getting wrecked by rain this week, like moreso than usual. So, yeah, feel free to turn on your headlights if you feel like it, guys.

So many loving gray cars.

It's been raining so bad that the lane markings on the street are almost invisible at 4 pm.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Yesterday on the drive home from work I had a special kind of idiot pull out in front of me. I was accelerating up to speed and was just about to change gear when a mazda softroader thing pulls out in front of me. They couldn't stay in the inside lane to make the turn so they ended up sticking out into my lane. The problem was that they pulled out so suddenly that I couldn't slow down and the car pulling out nearly pushed me into the queue of traffic waiting to turn at the lights. They did all of that just to make a u turn at the following roundabout.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The mass turnpike (main east west tollway through Boston and the surrounding area) is constantly under construction every night and Thursday night was no exception. 3 lanes go down to 2 in spots and in this particular spot it's the left lane that's dropped. All 3 lanes are jammed and moving at about 3-4 mph and it's about 10:30 at night. I was in the left lane.

I think I'm right in saying the following: when your lane is the one being dropped it's best to just stay in your lane until the end and "zipper merge" into the lane you're being forced into. Well the guy in the middle lane felt differently. I was planning on merging between a range Rover and a corolla but as the range Rover passed the corrola seemed glued to his back bumper and the driver wagged his finger at me as if to say "I'm not letting you cheat and get ahead of me"

In the interest of not stopping and waiting which causes a cascade effect behind me i laid on my horn, continued inching forward, and after almost hitting a cone was finally able to get this guy to concede his spot to me, all the while he is having this huge tantrum, waving his arms and pointing back at the left lane. He spent the next mile and a half flashing his high beams at me, and honking, until the left lane opened up again. At that point he had exhibited enough signs that he was unhinged so i sped off and built a buffer between my car and his and the incident was over.

It's 10:30 at night, dude. No one is having fun in this traffic. Don't make it worse for everyone else by loving up what little flow there is.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Yeah I mean sure if EVERYONE made a point of merging into the remaining lanes as early as possible it MIGHT cause traffic to flow a tiny bit faster, but that's never going to happen. Getting mad about people merging out of a lane that's closing in stop & go is just stupid.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
There's some road construction just a bit up from where I turn onto the main road going to work. The right lane is closed, so traffic gets over to the left lane like a 1/4 mile back. This makes leaving for work easy as I just pull into the right lane, get up to speed, and merge before the lane ends.

Couple days ago I got stuck behind another car making the same right hand turn. Instead of pulling into the right lane, they waited for the light to turn red, traffic to back up, and for someone to give them space in the left lane. Needless to say, I pulled into the right lane, did my normal move, and was out of the way in a few seconds. Traffic was flowing by that point and there was a nice gap to filter into.

I probably yelled something like "zipper merge, bitches!" in my head at the time.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

moxieman posted:

Yeah I mean sure if EVERYONE made a point of merging into the remaining lanes as early as possible it MIGHT cause traffic to flow a tiny bit faster

Nope, it doesn't

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Watched a guy get super pissed at me and another car because we were turning out of a one-way street and preventing him from turning up it (to go the wrong way).

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Deeters posted:

Watched a guy get super pissed at me and another car because we were turning out of a one-way street and preventing him from turning up it (to go the wrong way).

But the place he needs to go is just RIGHT THERE.

so yesterday watched a very very old person turn into the wrong parking lot, the one they wanted was about 50 meters further. They then turned out going north against three lanes of southbound, very heavy lunch time traffic. Eek.

Finally they got there and went into the hearing aid store.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Every time I have friends visit they always comment on the drivers here. Even people from Los Angeles complain about the traffic, but mostly it's about the drivers that cause it.

Then I heard a term that perfectly describes Atlanta drivers. Aggressively oblivious. They are all pissed off, self entitled fuckwits that don't pay attention to anything except for their phones.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Yeah, heading down Briarcliff last night I was behind what I thought was a drunk driver. You know, crossing the lines and doing 30mph at 10pm on a Friday night. Pull up next to her and nope, on the phone. Could've been drunk too but eh.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Alighieri posted:

Good thing you don't work down Bethel, it turns to poo poo quickly past Freeport. Which is hilarious since Coppell is really pushing to make that area a "traditional" downtown, whatever that means.
They want it to be like Plano's I expect, a small town 'Main Street, which is hilarious because they put in all those super expensive tiny lot florida looking houses right near there.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
When im riding my motorcycle and notice someone using their phone, I like to split up beside them at the next stoplight (California), stop next to their window, and stare at them through my featureless black visor until they look up and startle.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Sagebrush posted:

When im riding my motorcycle and notice someone using their phone, I like to split up beside them at the next stoplight (California), stop next to their window, and stare at them through my featureless black visor until they look up and startle.

I've been enjoying the "Loud Pipes Annoy Cellphone Users" feature on my sportster. Pull up next to them and just find that perfect balance between popping on deceleration and angry acceleration (angry acceleration is when you are WOT and maintaining pace with grandma in her Camry).

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

El Jebus posted:

I've been enjoying the "Loud Pipes Annoy Cellphone Users" feature on my sportster. Pull up next to them and just find that perfect balance between popping on deceleration and angry acceleration (angry acceleration is when you are WOT and maintaining pace with grandma in her Camry).

The only reason anyone should own a Harley.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Fake post, because texters never look up.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
An hour of Scandinavian evening driving with father: 3 invisible cocksuckers in stealth-suits crossing 70kph or more roads at the darkest possible spots with no regard to traffic, 2 invisible assholes crossing legal pedeadstrian crossings wearing light-absorbing black clothing, 1 dumbfuck numbnut stopping dead before a roundabout to slowly operate his micropenis owner's club SUV GPS in the middle of traffic giving us a serious brakecheck.

He's 74 and the greatest driver I have witnessed with the eyes and reaction-times of someone 50 years younger, former rally racer and taxi-driver, he's very aware that the day will come when he no longer feels safe driving, I still want him outfitted with a dashcam. I want a dashcam for loving walking the sidewalk in this town. Not enough people are dying on Swedish roads!@#$% (2014 headcount: 270 deaths)

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

MrLonghair posted:

An hour of Scandinavian evening driving with father: 3 invisible cocksuckers in stealth-suits crossing 70kph or more roads at the darkest possible spots with no regard to traffic, 2 invisible assholes crossing legal pedeadstrian crossings wearing light-absorbing black clothing, 1 dumbfuck numbnut stopping dead before a roundabout to slowly operate his micropenis owner's club SUV GPS in the middle of traffic giving us a serious brakecheck.
Something something partridge in a pear tree.

El Jebus posted:

I love being on my Honda and ripping the throttle wide open and feeling like I'm hauling rear end, but the needle moves glacially slow and I'm getting passed by a cement truck.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
This happened back at the beginning of November. I was behind an Avalanche on the way into work, in moderate morning rush hour traffic. You know, the kind of traffic where if you leave a bit of a gap, someone's going to fill it sooner or later, and that's just how it goes because that's how rush hour works, and there's not really any reason getting aggro over making it to work literal seconds later than you would have otherwise.

So I'm behind this Avalanche in the left lane doing maybe 45 in a 60, and there's a compact in the next lane over who's signaled to merge into what's a relatively large gap. He starts merging, but Mr. Truck isn't having any of it, and despite not being remotely close enough to pull the "I'm going to gun it and close this gap so this shithead has to panic veer back into their lane" maneuver, he tries it anyway. So he accelerates partially onto the shoulder, because the compact, having more than enough room, had no reason to expect that poo poo. At this point, I'm on the brakes and making some room, and the Avalanche is fully off the solid white, only about half way up the compact's driver's side. He has lost, and it's over. Just give it up and go on with your life, man. "gently caress THAT" I hear him think, as he continues to accelerate, evens up, and merges into the side of the compact HOLY loving poo poo I'M WITNESSING ATTEMPTED MANSLAUGHTER. They connect, and he immediately pulls onto the shoulder, I guess thinking "Now this dude has to pull over and I'm going to kick his rear end for daring to safely merge in front of me!" Compact driver doesn't take the bait (because of course he loving doesn't), and the Avalanche stomps it to get back on the interstate and proceeds to tail them through rush hour traffic.

What he didn't realize is that he, too, is now being tailed by the unmarked 300 that had gotten on a few exits back and watched the whole shitshow go down. Drops in behind him, lights him up, and I laugh all the way to work.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 13, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

^^^ That poo poo is why you need a dash cam, so the rest of the world (or at least the people in this thread) can enjoy this also.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

moxieman posted:

Yeah I mean sure if EVERYONE made a point of merging into the remaining lanes as early as possible not being assholes and letting others merge instead of trying to block them out, it WOULD cause traffic to flow a lot faster, but that's never going to happen. Getting mad about people merging out of a lane that's closing in stop & go is just stupid.

Fixed for accuracy

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I know of exactly two roundabouts within 20 miles of me. The last time I used one was about a week and a half ago where a sedan was in front of me riding his brakes, came to a full stop at both exits he passed before his, barely creeping between them, looking off to his left for oncoming vehicles (In... a roundabout that goes one way, with one lane). No stop signs anywhere to be seen, just completely confused about what to do.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Cage posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill-holder says 2003. Im not too keen on subarus but it looked like it could've been older than that.

A friend of mine introduced me to Subaru's hill holder in the mid 80's so the wiki is definitely incomplete there.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

The Locator posted:

^^^ That poo poo is why you need a dash cam, so the rest of the world (or at least the people in this thread) can enjoy this also.

That's the lovely part: I have a gopro that I mount to my windshield, but I had moved halfway across the country just a couple days earlier, and had forgotten to charge it, so I didn't have it running that morning. :doh: All I was thinking was, "man, the folks on SA are going to be so disappointed"

Lesson learned, though. I've remedied this now by running a usb cable so it's never dead, and from what I can tell, Oklahoma City should give me plenty of thread fodder.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 13, 2015

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

LloydDobler posted:

A friend of mine introduced me to Subaru's hill holder in the mid 80's so the wiki is definitely incomplete there.
Ok well the guy in front of me must've broke his somehow then.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

That's frightening. Massive and high horsepower, the perfect beginner car!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I bet if you asked those parents feel like they but their child in a safe vehicle there. After all, its an SUV!

Anyways, watched an old guy scrap the side of his Z06 along a curb in the grocery store parking lot. That retirement present doesn't seem like such a great idea now I bet.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

sleepy.eyes posted:

To be fair, what are you supposed to teach your kid to drive in if you only own that and/or an even less suitable vehicle? I learned to drive in (among other things) an SLK320 and an F-150 crew cab for that reason.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
My first car was a Nissan Pulsar but I learned to drive in that and a Chevy Conversion Van. Everyone should have to drive a big vehicle at some point.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

sleepy.eyes posted:

335HP, such a race car! I'm pretty sure kiddo can keep it under control.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cage posted:

Ok well the guy in front of me must've broke his somehow then.

It depends on the year and the car.
My 2005 legacy has no hill holder, for example.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
I learned to drive and passed my test in a 91 Suburban with wandering issues because that was the better of our 2 cars for learning, so that's really not that bad. Driving larger vehicles makes it easier to drive small ones later.

Autoexec.bat fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 14, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

nsaP posted:

My first car was a Nissan Pulsar but I learned to drive in that and a Chevy Conversion Van. Everyone should have to drive a big vehicle at some point.

Should be gutless too.

I did a lot of my early driving in a non-turbo diesel Transit van. I'm not sure how much power it had but given the turbo was 75hp it couldn't have been much. If nothing else a vehicle like that teaches you something about forward planning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Raluek posted:

335HP, such a race car! I'm pretty sure kiddo can keep it under control.

If that kid ever puts the hammer down it'll be the first time anyone ever has in a GL450.