Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I wonder if Auntie Maya is the mentor figure Cio's fanfic is looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Kayla Shoot-witch has looked less and less enthusiastic about this whole thing in every panel she appears in

buck up, lady, youve got the power of Lots of Guns on your side

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 9, 2015

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
It's dawning on her that her best shot at tracking Allison is to follow Eris Lo-Kai (who she was fighting not that long ago!), which means she's stuck hanging around with a bunch of assholes who are all thinking the same thing, and also INGSVLD who is not an rear end in a top hat and very clearly deserves that key and she feels guilty for infringing upon his noble pursuit out of avarice for power :colbert:.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
Or perhaps she doesn't necessarily want the power but is instead spoiling for a fight with someone strong enough to match her for once so she's following the crowd of idiots to see what the girl is made of and if she's a worthy opponent.

I think I watch too many samurai movies.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the very instant things started popping off in hell 71, she got this "oh gently caress" expression that hasnt really gone away yet. im thinkin that she didnt spend much time in the practical courses at Gunwitch Academy

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Mentalizer posted:

Or perhaps she doesn't necessarily want the power

Oh narratively I think there's no way she's after the key out of greed like the others.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MikeJF posted:

Oh narratively I think there's no way she's after the key out of greed like the others.

I wonder what they're all after, really. Eris-Lo Kai seemed disdainful of the guilds and probably isn't planning on selling it if he gets it, though Ingsvld is employed by them. Outside of the book-man, though, I doubt many are after cash or something from this. And having the key for themselves, well, that'd cause a lot of trouble, so outside of those with really high opinions of themselves (Eris-Lo Kai again) I'm not sure how many are just out for that either. I mean, there are probably at least a few in both camps there, but I have a feeling some have a bit more complex motives.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

The Mentalizer posted:

Their expression is definitely warranted, seeing as how Allison just showed them all up by running in and slapping a mask right on Vladok while they were still talking about what spells they were gonna start with and marveling at how difficult it was going to be. All immediately after winning a drinking contest with an ebon devil. I'm not really surprised they're standing around all salty, probably muttering under their breath all like "whatever man, I was just about to do that but she got in the way."

"Dammit Abaddon, you said you weren't gonna pull this poo poo with the GMPCs any more :mad:"

Captain Oblivious posted:

I wonder if Auntie Maya is the mentor figure Cio's fanfic is looking for.

She appears to the side of White Chain on the prophecy tablet. Which reminds me, why is Sloth encased in that thing?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Renaissance Robot posted:

Which reminds me, why is Sloth encased in that thing?

She lazy, man.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Then why isn't she encased in bedsheets like a proper goon?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Then why isn't she encased in bedsheets like a proper goon?

because the agnomen "the Witch in Duvets" just doesnt pop, yknow?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

She appears to the side of White Chain on the prophecy tablet. Which reminds me, why is Sloth encased in that thing?

She appears across from Jagganoth, though. Unless he's going to turn on his fellow demiurges, which is possible. And by possible I mean I assume every one of them would turn on the others if they thought they had the upper hand.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tenebrais posted:

She appears across from Jagganoth, though. Unless he's going to turn on his fellow demiurges, which is possible. And by possible I mean I assume every one of them would turn on the others if they thought they had the upper hand.

Jagganoth is recoiling there, he's definitely not on Allison's side. What's weirder is Jadis just lying down; all the others have poses implying being defeated physically, but she looks like she's just lounging. Though, I guess that fits; if any of them are just going to not put up a fight, it would probably be her, both because of her being associated with Sloth, and her, you know, having seen the future where she and the others are killed and knowing that she has no chance.

Back to Maya, she doesn't look defeated like the others, but at the same time she's not in the center like Cio and White Chain either. Her location might be symmetry, or it might be foreshadowing her not entirely being on Allison's side. It's hard to say either way; all we know about her is her name, that she's quite a badass, and that she was apprenticed under Meti but didn't quite get the swordmaster's teachings.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I suspect Jadis is encased in glass as a form of suspended animation, given how old her flesh appears to be on the inside. I think it's fair to say each of the 7 is effectively biologically immortal, but I would bet each of them came to that end through different ways.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr. Lobe posted:

I suspect Jadis is encased in glass as a form of suspended animation, given how old her flesh appears to be on the inside. I think it's fair to say each of the 7 is effectively biologically immortal, but I would bet each of them came to that end through different ways.

Solomon David achieved his immortality through the twin disciplines of Lookin' Good and Feelin' Fine.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tenebrais posted:

She could be a mentor or an aggressor, based on her position. She also appears to be holding a sword similar to the one in Allison's hand, which may or may not be the Blade of Want.

I could honestly see it going either way. Or both ways, in some kind of weird adversarial "I'll help and mentor you by constantly trying to kill you" thing.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
A reminder, Maya's name is "Murder The Gods And Topple Their Thrones", so she's probably, if nothing else, opposed to the demiurges. However, again, her being across from Jagganoth doesn't necessarily make him an ally; given his apparent status as being more powerful than the other six combined and only kept in check through their efforts, being an immortal, unstoppable monster, he's pretty much prime "final boss" material outside of, I don't know, Metatron or maybe Maya herself or something. He basically has to be killed at some point or other.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Can I just say again how amazing the art in this comic is?

Because it's incredible. It's better then literally 99% of the stuff I see people do professionally.

Every page just looks like there is weeks of effort behind it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Is anyone else kinda reminded of Orc Stain? There's just so much (bizarre, maybe kinda gross but enthralling) stuff going on in the background.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Huh, and here I thought it was at least a little metaphorical.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Yes Allison, people walk! I know they're demons and poo poo, but they all still got at least two legs!

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Those travelers all seem pretty happy to chill out under the gibbets.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~
Well the text underneath says that the recently dead are valuable to travelers for carrying cargo.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Those travelers all seem pretty happy to chill out under the gibbets.

I'm sure the guys on the gibbets appreciate the company. I see at least one that still has some life in em!

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Superstring posted:

Yes Allison, people walk! I know they're demons and poo poo, but they all still got at least two legs!

I think she was more bewildered that they don't have trucks or other powered vehicles - a confusion I slightly share as well, but which the text below the comic does much to clear up.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

There was no evidence of electricity or automation on Throne, either (unless those giant angel corpses got a V8 humming along somewhere in there) so yeah IDK why she's suddenly all surprised about the pseudo-medieval magical society now

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I assumed it was because of the location, rather than the walking itself; traveling through the Void, particularly by just picking up your things and trudging along, is kind of a weird concept.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

hitchhiker's guide to the infinite void

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i guess I mean the main thing we know about it is there's a sleazy hell bar there so it already looks more truck stop than outer darkness. why wouldn't there be a road

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So they don't know that the person they have floating on the table isn't the conquering kings reincarnation, do they? Either "Sloth" or her translators have gotten it mixed up.

I am so looking forward to Mottam's surprise at this.

Also we know that Jagganoth is the strongest, but who is going to be next?

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!

Josef bugman posted:

So they don't know that the person they have floating on the table isn't the conquering kings reincarnation, do they? Either "Sloth" or her translators have gotten it mixed up.

I am so looking forward to Mottam's surprise at this.

Also we know that Jagganoth is the strongest, but who is going to be next?

On some level they probably know it, but they are caught in the illusion of gender quite strongly. The last king was a spectacle of masculine might.

If I had to guess Solomon David is the next strongest, but the six are more less evenly matched. Only the common threat of Jagganoth keeps them at peace. In a melee it would be hard to say who might emerge victorious.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Solomon David is my favorite demiurge b/c all the others we have seen are these grotesque weirdos — and lets be real, theres no way a guy called "Incubus" isnt also going to be mondo grody — and David is just this haughty guy in a chair.

e. also i just realized that White Chain's "be not" mantra they use when wrecking Preem Nand's creepy doll-devils in Hell 71 is a reference to angels in the bible saying "be not afraid".

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 13, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

e. also i just realized that White Chain's "be not" mantra they use when wrecking Preem Nand's creepy doll-devils in Hell 71 is a reference to angels in the bible saying "be not afraid".

I'm not a christian so I didn't catch that, nice

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Solomon David is my favorite demiurge b/c all the others we have seen are these grotesque weirdos — and lets be real, theres no way a guy called "Incubus" isnt also going to be mondo grody — and David is just this haughty guy in a chair.

Solomon David is going to turn out to be the mondo grodiest of all in every way except his looks, just you wait.

And he'll keep his looks by wearing the skin of virgins or something too.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

White Chain isn't saying that, it's leaking out of their shell of its own accord. They cracked up a bit when they lied to Preem Nand.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

wiegieman posted:

White Chain isn't saying that, it's leaking out of their shell of its own accord. They cracked up a bit when they lied to Preem Nand.

im still not sure why Nand let them hang around when he knew for a fact he was being lied to.

MikeJF posted:

Solomon David is going to turn out to be the mondo grodiest of all in every way except his looks, just you wait.

And he'll keep his looks by wearing the skin of virgins or something too.

oh yeah for sure.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

im still not sure why Nand let them hang around when he knew for a fact he was being lied to.

He probably figured he'd see what the hell white chain was trying to pull and also get to keep allison anyway.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I wonder if Incubus still looks halfway as pretty as he does in some of the other pictures we have seen of him? I know Mottom sure as hell doesn't, but whose to say that he may have retained his good looks.

Also whose betting that every time we see one of his "consorts" it'll be a different one each time.

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010
He's lust right?
I bet there will be some straight up Slaaneshi tentacle sex things in that guy's palace, can't wait.
Also the whole refugee thing makes so much sense, imagine living in a whole universe wrecked by the demiurges' wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

reignonyourparade posted:

He probably figured he'd see what the hell white chain was trying to pull and also get to keep allison anyway.

Yeah, I forget his exact words but he pretty much said he'll play along to see what White Chain's end game was.