Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Decius posted:

I still hope she's Leia's kid. Regardless, the Skywalkers clearly have a generational problem with absent parents. At least Anakin had the excuse of being a virginal birth with Force daddy not existing.

Palpatine is Anakin's father by way of the Force. Listen to what he says during the concert scene in Revenge of the Sith, they way he treats him, and how the Windu-Sidious fight paralels with Sidious-Luke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Gatts posted:

Palpatine is Anakin's father by way of the Force. Listen to what he says during the concert scene in Revenge of the Sith, they way he treats him, and how the Windu-Sidious fight paralels with Sidious-Luke.

This was originally going to be outright spelled out in Episode III but even Lucas realized that was loving stupid and just limited it to the vague poo poo Palpatine says at the space ballet.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

iSheep posted:

I think it's pretty much known the movie is a soft reboot at this point.

Dude right?

A Skywalker flees a desert planet on the Millennium Falcon, joins the Alliance, the Old Mentor gets killed by a red lightsaber, and they blow up the Death Star Starkiller Base.

It's gonna be good, but it's basically A New Hope Anew

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

After the clusterfuck that was the prequels I think taking the safe path for Episode 7 was the right call. Hopefully whoever directs Episode 8 will then pull an Empire Strikes Back and do something more complex. Do we know who that will be yet?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This was originally going to be outright spelled out in Episode III but even Lucas realized that was loving stupid and just limited it to the vague poo poo Palpatine says at the space ballet.

Even with subtle hinting, the space ballet is literally sperms implanting a giant egg :v:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ugh, I know RLM went into this in depth but I still can't get over how stupid an idea it was to make Anakin space Jesus. FFS he was a million times better and more interesting as space Rinehard Heydrich.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Kirk just happens to land right where Old Spock and Scotty are. The Millennium Falcon just happens to come out of hyperspace right where Han Solo and Chewbacca are. If Kylo Ren is randomly hit by a truck mid-final fight we'll have Peak JJ.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Payndz posted:

Kirk just happens to land right where Old Spock and Scotty are. The Millennium Falcon just happens to come out of hyperspace right where Han Solo and Chewbacca are. If Kylo Ren is randomly hit by a truck mid-final fight we'll have Peak JJ.

To be honest I don't mind the coincidences in JJ Trek because it implies there's some kind of fate holding spacetime together trying to keep things as close to how they were as possible. It makes Into Darkness's ripoff/homage to Wrath of Khan's ending much more tolerable.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Hi Raid dudes :neckbeard:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Perfect.

Perfect.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
I thought guys in the Kanji Club wore button up shirts with anime characters on them.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kanji Club?

Kanji Club!?

That is either the best or worst name for a group of interplanetary raiders.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah looking at it even further the design on the right kind of sucks. Its just a cartoon character, just an exaggeration of some old wrinkly old man with a soggy left eye. The one on the left is legit unsettling and enticing. It's really loving cool.
What kind of hosed up cartoons have you been watching? The one on the right is collapsing into itself with some sort of internal decay. He's literally rotting away with age like a month old jack-o-lantern.

The one on the left is just burned. It's a pretty hosed up burn, but it doesn't combine that superficial disgust with the horror of entropy and age like the other one does.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Cross-Section posted:

I was wondering how the asian market pandering would play out

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

a starwar betamax posted:

Are those just the guys from The Raid?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ugh, I know RLM went into this in depth but I still can't get over how stupid an idea it was to make Anakin space Jesus. FFS he was a million times better and more interesting as space Rinehard Heydrich.

i can't think of a work of fiction where prophecy didn't make the story shittier.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

After the clusterfuck that was the prequels I think taking the safe path for Episode 7 was the right call. Hopefully whoever directs Episode 8 will then pull an Empire Strikes Back and do something more complex. Do we know who that will be yet?

The funny thing is, the badness of the prequels is so evergreen and manifold and loving weird. I almost suspect that after the prequels something that's just safe and generic and forgettable has the potential to let people down to an insane degree in a completely different way.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Dude right?

A Skywalker flees a desert planet on the Millennium Falcon, joins the Alliance, the Old Mentor gets killed by a red lightsaber, and they blow up the Death Star Starkiller Base.

I've been saying it for months here and with friends. I think people here already caught onto that, but when I start detailing it to friends (Kylo = Vader, Snoke = Emperor, Phasma = Boba, Hux = Tarkin, Starkiller = Deathstar, Jakku = Totally not Tatooine) they get all sad and discouraged but:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

People are getting the exact movies that they wanted after the backlash for the prequels. Which is why Lucas said: “I think the fans are going to love it, It’s very much the kind of movie they’ve been looking for.”

I am totally fine with everything that I have seen so far, and the big chance that the movie is gonna beat by beat be a remake of IV with all the OT elements thrown in the mix. It's gonna be a Star Wars movie, and it will be funny to see if the fans react negatively to the fact that the filmmakers took the safest route to ensure that they will get a new generation of fans and placate the older ones.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

a starwar betamax posted:

By casting a guy from Central America and another from the Philippines?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I still can't believe Donnie Yen and the Raid dudes are in Star Wars movies now.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I knew Mad Dog was in this, but I didn't know the other dude was. some good casting going on in these star wars.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Cross-Section posted:

I love that their weapons are just cobbled together junk.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Rama's gonna shoot someone with a surge protector.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Been looking for a new hair style, Zygerrian-style faux crests is clearly the way to go.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Rian Johnson, who wrote and directed Brick, Looper, and three episodes of Breaking Bad, including Ozymandias. It'll be rad.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Dude right?

What are you talking about? I have every confidence that it'll be totally new and excitingly different from this!

Star Wars (1977) posted:

An envoy of a group fighting an evil totalitarian power is sent to a remote desert planet to seek help from a revered general in hiding. But the envoy is captured by a villain in a black mask that hides his scarred face, and tortured for information. However, the envoy managed to hide a sought-after item inside a cute non-humanoid robot that communicates solely in electronic sounds, which is tasked with completing the mission.

The robot is captured by desert scavengers, and ends up in the possession of a youth who dreams of leaving behind their arid surroundings for adventure on far-off worlds (and is unknowingly the child of a Jedi Knight named Skywalker). The youth is also possessed of preternatural piloting skills, which later prove useful in flying a spaceship. Meanwhile, the villain sends white-armoured stormtroopers to hunt down the robot and recover its precious cargo, brutally murdering innocents who get in their way.

The youth, the robot and an old man, who provides exposition about the history of the galactic conflict and the mystic Force, travel with colourful allies (including Chewbacca the Wookiee) aboard a spaceship called the Millennium Falcon on a quest to destroy the evil power's new superweapon. With a melodramatic name including both the word "star" and an allusion to the ending of life, the weapon can destroy entire astronomical bodies, one of which is blown up at the cost of millions of lives as a demonstration of its power.

The adventure takes the heroes to locations including a bar filled with weird aliens (some of whom are in a band), the detention area of the villains' secret base and a lush jungle planet. To the youth's horror, the old man is killed by the masked villain, to whom he had a past personal connection. But ultimately the youth's innate Force ability is awakened in combat, and the superweapon is destroyed following a battle between spacecraft called X-Wings and TIE Fighters. The masked villain, however, escapes to fight another day, now aware that the youth is strong in the Force.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I still can't believe Donnie Yen and the Raid dudes are in Star Wars movies now.

They're going to be in the background for about 4 seconds

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

zVxTeflon posted:

They're going to be in the background for about 4 seconds

Sounds like they are part of a big fight against Han and Chewie if the spoilers are right.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Brand new :30 TV spot with several pieces of new footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSsKT-aqMoo

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

ApexAftermath posted:

Sounds like they are part of a big fight against Han and Chewie if the spoilers are right.

There was rumors that one of them would be shot a la Greedo even before the PDF

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Kylo Ren spins, thats a neat trick.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If Donnie Yen and the Raid dudes aren't badass super Sith and Jedi going apeshit on things or supremely badass bounty hunters that can hang with them then wtf. They better be for all 3 movies.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
That gif looks weird but I don't know where to put it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

looks like someone filmed it from their tv (reflection of a closet or doorway on the right) and also it's in slow motion.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Better gif

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
That sure is a full second of "Why doesn't Finn just stab him??".

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yes let me stab this crazy rear end in a top hat as he spins his saber inches from my face.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Apparently, Disney and Lucasfilm bigwigs just invited everyone camping outside Mann's Chinese Theater inside to watch the movie. Expect full spoilers in a few hours.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Mazreal posted:

I don't think Finn is very good with a saber in this movie. Imagine if New Hope Luke all getting hit by the training ball had to fight Vader.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

weekly font posted:

I don't think Finn is very good with a saber in this movie. Imagine if New Hope Luke all getting hit by the training ball had to fight Vader.

Well, if he's a stormtrooper he'd maybe trained with that stun baton thingie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mazreal posted:

• Locked thread