Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
The real pro-tip for devil rooms is double check what the items are and what they do on platinumgod. In a lot of cases you can enter the devil room with 1 red heart as your only health and can still take all the items as long as you pick things up in the right order, walking out with 2+ Soul or Black Hearts. This is especially true if you have Chaos. MEAT! can be bought with 1 red heart, effectively making it a free Damage Up.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

From what I remember you straight-up can't unlock anything while on a seeded run

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Toxxupation posted:

From what I remember you straight-up can't unlock anything while on a seeded run

This is true.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Mega haunts my dreams, when will my torment end

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

is it just me or is cracked dice really good? semi-reliable D8 spamming through damage can net you some nice stats really quick

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

VineST posted:

is it just me or is cracked dice really good? semi-reliable D8 spamming through damage can net you some nice stats really quick

Having a chance to randomize my items when I get hit does not sound like a good time.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

RatHat posted:

Having a chance to randomize my items when I get hit does not sound like a good time.

Remember that you can always drop it. Also it only has the effects of the D6, D8, D12, and D20.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I remember that 9 Lives used to enable you to repeat boss fights for additional rewards in the original game, since you could kill yourself to reset the boss after defeating it, which didn't despawn the items.
Is that no longer possible in Rebirth/Afterbirth? I always thought that was a feature and not a bug.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

VineST posted:

If I had a bad build and the health to spare in a sacrifice room, I'd do it. Otherwise nope.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Waffle! posted:

If I had a bad build and the health to spare in a sacrifice room, I'd do it. Otherwise nope.

i take enough damage naturally to proc it a lot, one pro of playing badly

Zwiebel posted:

I remember that 9 Lives used to enable you to repeat boss fights for additional rewards in the original game, since you could kill yourself to reset the boss after defeating it, which didn't despawn the items.
Is that no longer possible in Rebirth/Afterbirth? I always thought that was a feature and not a bug.

nope, bit you can use the d7 for the same effect

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^ Pretty sure D7 doesn't work with bosses.

Zwiebel posted:

Nah, no longer possible. You can still do some creative stuff with 9 Lives though.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

RatHat posted:

^^^ Pretty sure D7 doesn't work with bosses.

aw that's a shame; i've only tried it on mini bosses lol

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

Kawalimus posted:

Well with sacrifice rooms reworked you can now get the angels to spawn there pretty easily and get those key pieces. So it's not too hard anymore. Just the Lost you still have to do it the old fashioned way. So now you can get the keypieces without sacrificing the damage you get from devil room items.

http://platinumgod.co.uk/sacrifice-rooms

Also it's lots easier to fight them in that room cause those spikes affect flying enemies too and the angels will run themselves across the spikes.

Oh wow sacrifice rooms are useful now. Awesome, thanks

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Gotta find a seed that lets you sacrifice 12 times in B1

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

rag man would be okay if the spider things he spawns didn't have unusually boosted hp over the original variants

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

voltcatfish posted:

rag man would be okay if the spider things he spawns didn't have unusually boosted hp over the original variants

They don't, it's just that they don't keep the HP lost when they're still Ragman's head.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Bug Bill Murray posted:

Oh wow sacrifice rooms are useful now. Awesome, thanks

Yeah, I've had three straight Mega Satan attempts saved by sacrifice rooms now. The change rules.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Aw, Stopwatch is only super powerful now instead of game-breakingly powerful. I liked having the "I win" option.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Sacrifice rooms are my new favourite way to get myself killed. "I can do fine if I damage myself to one heart oh hey I'm in the Dark Room now"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

loving finally, got Mega in a devil room with 5 pedestal items after 6 rerolls. Now I can finally start playing the game!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

gently caress, this is boring

(for ref I'm at 435)

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Stop playing a character with a 1/5 chance of jamming it?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

getting an infinite cash run that is mega greed capable and/or getting the whole glowing hourglass + inifinite cash setup would take longer, imo

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
You don't need infinite cash with the glowing hourglass, it resets your coin total to what you had before the room.

To be fast "all" you need is the hourglass, a chaos card, the battery (or whichever one it is that reduces charge time) and a decent number of coins.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean, sure, yeah, but i've never naturally come across glowing hourglass on greed, it's always part of going for infinite cash setup as a matter of course

also i don't have chaos card unlocked, i'm doing the beat + fool method

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Or just use Cheat Engine, it's the same but takes a thousandth of the time

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Yea greed mode is easy and boring. The worst combination. I cheat engine'd it right away and have no regrets because I just plain don't want to play greed mode.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Bob Locke posted:

Agreed, but those walking skull turrets are a close second, not because they're hard, they're just really boring to fight. I hate enemies in games that just waste your time.

Those are truly the worst enemies, especially in rooms with a bunch of the autofiring stone head turrets.

fwiw I've never had trouble with the skeletons* you just have to strafe side to side while shooting at them because they fire at where you are instead of where you're going

*except for one really sad pre-afterbirth Lost run where I tried a challenge room because I had Gnawed Leaf + orbitals and skeletons spawned on either side of me nonstop firing until I moved and immediately died

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Or just use Cheat Engine, it's the same but takes a thousandth of the time

I've enjoyed this game much more ever since I made my third slot a 1001% save file.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

RIP hyphen-ated. you did a real good job there!

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

VineST posted:

RIP hyphen-ated. you did a real good job there!

Couldn't watch today and now I see that both Hyphen and Problems are out? These are dark times.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Tractor Beam + The Parasite/Cricket's Body is a powerful combination.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Tractor Beam + The Parasite/Cricket's Body is a powerful combination.

Tractor beam and continuum makes the looping shots come out of your character and it can turn you into a machinegun if you miss or fight moving enemies.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Spergminer posted:

Tractor beam and continuum makes the looping shots come out of your character and it can turn you into a machinegun if you miss or fight moving enemies.

That's nuffink. The thing is that all the Parasite shots will be forced into whatever caused them to spawn, which vastly increases the DPS. With my only damage ups being Magic Mushroom and Small Rock I was still absolutely mincing everything - killing Bloat in under a second, that kind of thing.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Got Curse of the Tower on a Maggy run that didn't seem to be going anywhere but then I got Pyromaniac and 3xPretty Fly so was functionally immortal (though never had much damage and relied on Book of Belial) and ended up taking things through to killing Isaac in the Cathedral because he couldn't hurt me at all. His tears did nothing and every time the light beams touched me it set off Curse of the Tower and the bombs healed me back to full :v:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I was having trouble with Hush. I could get him halfway down without any damage, but then those continuum tears would wreck my poo poo. Then on my last run I realized the continuum tears are a pretty set pattern and if you just find a place that's safe, you can plant there and no get hit for that wave. That just leaves those loving tornado things.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's nuffink. The thing is that all the Parasite shots will be forced into whatever caused them to spawn, which vastly increases the DPS. With my only damage ups being Magic Mushroom and Small Rock I was still absolutely mincing everything - killing Bloat in under a second, that kind of thing.

Hah, I had the exact same set up in the last Greed run I did, I was amazed how well that all plays together.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The 4 split shots get sucked into the tractor beam? that's loving amazing.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Wow the game has been really wanting me to succeed lately. Got mega satan down on hard mode with both Azazel and Eve! Eve in particular was amazing since I managed Brimstone + Epic Fetus with a bunch of Devil Room damage ups. Soooo many lasers. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Fucks sake, just completely trashed what should have been an easy Samson boss rush and satan kill. Used undefined to skip a couple levels (by accident, never picked it up before) but then used it to skip the mom level when I would have easily been on time for the boss rush. Then I killed It Lives in time for a Blue Womb attempt using the bible which unlocked something, then I decided to go for Satan since I think I need to beat him once more to unlock the Dark Room, during the Satan fight my brain goes "jam on all the buttons man" for some reason even though he's not even hit me once and the bible kills me. Maaaaan this game.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 13, 2015