Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Whizbang posted:

All the Void Ark gear is ugly though. Bad option for true endgame.

The tank dress disagrees with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Void Ark is fine as far as catch up 24 mans go. Diadem is pretty awful, but so were hunts when they were initially released. ThordEx is a really cool fight, although 2.1 had 4 Ex Primal Fights, I'm not sure if ThordEx alone is neat as all 4 of 2.1s were (if we want to do 2.1 and 3.1 comparisons), I will say that it is harder then any of the EX Primals initially were though, so if your not into decently difficult content it isn't for you.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Avoid Ark

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

hobbesmaster posted:

The tank dress disagrees with you.

:agreed:

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

goldjas posted:

Void Ark is fine as far as catch up 24 mans go. Diadem is pretty awful, but so were hunts when they were initially released. ThordEx is a really cool fight, although 2.1 had 4 Ex Primal Fights, I'm not sure if ThordEx alone is neat as all 4 of 2.1s were (if we want to do 2.1 and 3.1 comparisons), I will say that it is harder then any of the EX Primals initially were though, so if your not into decently difficult content it isn't for you.

Not quite a fair comparison, because 2.0 had zero extreme primals where 3.0 had two.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

kafziel posted:

Not quite a fair comparison, because 2.0 had zero extreme primals where 3.0 had two.

Yeah but one of those two were entirely pointless, and the other one only mattered for a brief period of time, which is more SEs fault at making loot and balancing content then anything really. I don't understand how they hosed up so hard at making Bismarck Ex completely pointless literally the day it was released and then making Ravana Ex more or less pointless a few weeks after it was released. They don't even drop horses or anything to go back and farm. As far as the fights themselves go, Bismarck Ex just sucks and Ravana Ex is decently fun I suppose.

Edit: Also, 2.0 was revamping an entire dead game.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 12, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

kafziel posted:

HM primals were the extremes of 2.0

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
My buddy wants me to play this with him but he's on Balmung. Is it literally just insurmountable as far as creating a character there being impossible goes?

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Shaquin posted:

My buddy wants me to play this with him but he's on Balmung. Is it literally just insurmountable as far as creating a character there being impossible goes?

Try making a character at odd hours.

Balmung is a weird place, though. Bring us back stories.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Shaquin posted:

Your best bet is to be awake at the end of maintenance and make one right after the servers come up. Save the appearance data for the look you want in advance so you'll be ready to create at that time before the window closes again.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Balmung is a weird place, though. Bring us back stories.

Native Moon Guardian from Warcraft so it'll probably be disgustingly familiar.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I am not enjoying leveling archer in order to obtain quelling strikes. I just want to play my drat BLM. Levequests, fates, and dungeons are what I want to concentrate on to level quickly, right? I'm assuming the side quest things are not really worth my time if I just want to level as quickly as possible.

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 12, 2015

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Shaquin posted:

Native Moon Guardian from Warcraft so it'll probably be disgustingly familiar.

"Disgustingly" is probably the right adjective.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Happy Hedonist posted:

I am not enjoying leveling archer in order to obtain quelling strikes. I just want to play my drat BLM. Levequests, fates, and dungeons are what I want to concentrate on to level quickly, right? I'm assuming the side quest things are not really worth my time if I just want to level as quickly as possible.

You don't need quelling strikes. If you're not enjoying archer, it's not a big deal.

Do every sidequest though.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

You don't need quelling strikes. If you're not enjoying archer, it's not a big deal.

Really? That's great news. Some of the things I've read have lead me to believe I'll be pulling agro and pissing off tanks sooner than later.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Happy Hedonist posted:

Really? That's great news. Some of the things I've read have lead me to believe I'll be pulling agro and pissing off tanks sooner than later.
you are going to be doing that even with quelling strikes when it comes to the tanks that would get mad at you

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Fister Roboto posted:

This is such a sham statement. You don't need quelling strikes if the tanks you end up with are decent. There will be times when they aren't. I'm leveling machinist in the 50's right now and I end up needing quelling about every third dungeon or so.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Most cases of tanks losing aggro will not be helped with quelling strikes.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Failboattootoot posted:

This is such a sham statement. You don't need quelling strikes if the tanks you end up with are decent. There will be times when they aren't. I'm leveling machinist in the 50's right now and I end up needing quelling about every third dungeon or so.
Sometimes no tank is going to stop you getting aggro when the RNG decides that it's time for you to crit four-five times in a row.

Quelling strikes helps in that case but overall it's mainly another button to press.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The big problem with QS is that it does nothing for your current enmity, unlike the actually good enmity reduction abilities.

Even if you do pull aggro, most dungeon mobs don't hit hard enough that it's a huge problem. Just pop manawall and laugh at the tank who's giving you poo poo.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Get a Ninja to serve as your smoke screen bot. =P

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 13, 2015

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

The big problem with QS is that it does nothing for your current enmity, unlike the actually good enmity reduction abilities.

Even if you do pull aggro, most dungeon mobs don't hit hard enough that it's a huge problem. Just pop manawall and laugh at the tank who's giving you poo poo.

Quelling Strikes is fantastic to have for raid encounters for the beginning of the pull. Not very useful after that though.

It used to be good for BLMs chain spamming Flare, but since Flare's been nerfed that's no longer a big deal.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
The entire purpose of Quelling Strikes is to make sure your opener doesn't pull hate. In situations where you're about to face a boss, anywhere, when you have every tool available to you your opener is uniquely positioned to drop such incredible numbers that your tank won't have established hate yet and the boss will come to claw your face off. This is not just about the black mage - everyone else is doing their openers too and the boss deciding it wants to move over to the BLM with a hot crit streak spoils positionals for your melee and throws everyone off their rhythm to some degree.

So it actually is important to have it, in order to remove this problem. But it's not something you necessarily need until you're at max level on BLM, because it's really only at 60 where you'll have the offensive power for your opener to become a problem for other people. Even then you can just not go as totally nuts on your opener and avoid pulling hate that way, but that's less optimal and can inspire bad habits.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Doing the BLM opener without quelling strikes means you're dead. It's incredibly good it works the way it works because I can just precast it instead of wasting 0.5s

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Yo. I hit level 50 a few months before Heavensward hit and didn't play any more than that. Now I've bought HW and installed it etc. Looks like I'm on the main scenario quest You Have Selected Regicide. When can I do HW stuff? Do I have to finish every quest up to #100 as listed here: http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Main_Scenario_Quests ? All I want is to make a Machinist!

E: Can't even do the trial in my current quest cus my IL is only 48, and I need 54. :downs:

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Granbar posted:

Yo. I hit level 50 a few months before Heavensward hit and didn't play any more than that. Now I've bought HW and installed it etc. Looks like I'm on the main scenario quest You Have Selected Regicide. When can I do HW stuff? Do I have to finish every quest up to #100 as listed here: http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Main_Scenario_Quests ? All I want is to make a Machinist!

E: Can't even do the trial in my current quest cus my IL is only 48, and I need 54. :downs:

You need to finish all of the MSQ content up to HW yes. Buy some gear to get to ilvl 54, it will be super cheap. If you're on Excal I'll buy it for you from the HW area vendors if you need help.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

TwistedNails posted:

You need to finish all of the MSQ content up to HW yes. Buy some gear to get to ilvl 54, it will be super cheap. If you're on Excal I'll buy it for you from the HW area vendors if you need help.

Cool! I'm on Excal and in DGKG. Got about 292k moneys. I'm a SMN/SCH, any suggestions for gear to buy?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Granbar posted:

Cool! I'm on Excal and in DGKG. Got about 292k moneys. I'm a SMN/SCH, any suggestions for gear to buy?

What is your name in game? I'll log on and get you vendor gear before I go to bed, it's pretty good.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

TwistedNails posted:

What is your name in game? I'll log on and get you vendor gear before I go to bed, it's pretty good.

Awesome. Name's Maximum Planck.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Granbar posted:

Awesome. Name's Maximum Planck.

You'll look like an ugly jester in the gear but it will work well, I hope it helps.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

TwistedNails posted:

You'll look like an ugly jester in the gear but it will work well, I hope it helps.

Thanks for sorting me out! Now I'm ready for anything!!!

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Granbar posted:

jesus, this is just a perfect shot. :lol:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Granbar posted:

You fit the DGKK spirit well with that set.

When you hit trials and story quests feel free to see if anyone in FC chat is available to come along with you. Trial-wise pubby groups these days are just going to blitz through them super fast without explaining fights so those are easy to just solo queue if you want. The two mandatory dungeons are both fun though so you can probably get a group together without much trouble (especially since they give xp at 50 now).

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Are there any good videos comparing the game's visuals on ps3 and ps4? Everything I've seen is slightly underwhelming, but maybe that's because I don't really have any means of watching in anything higher than 720p.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Bobfly posted:

Are there any good videos comparing the game's visuals on ps3 and ps4? Everything I've seen is slightly underwhelming, but maybe that's because I don't really have any means of watching in anything higher than 720p.

The visuals are mostly the same if resolution is equal. That said, the PS3 culls entities way earlier, load times are garbage and it chugs like a piece of poo poo at stuff no other platform has any difficulty with. I revived a PS3 player in a heavensward zone right after it launched and it took him no poo poo five and a half minutes to re-load the zone. That might have been an extraordinary circumstance or something, but having played on both platforms at fanfest I would never personally choose to play on PS3 again.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Granbar posted:

Oh my loving god. :newlol:

This is it, this is how goons help other goons. This is peak "Goon assistance." A Faustian bargain be damned.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

That's the default look of the gearset that is the most practical for him to use.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Which classes get intercept type techniques which move you towards the enemy?

Dragoon has jump (the base jump moves you back afterwards but other jumps don't) and Dark knight has plunge or whatever which is a pretty sick move.

Is that it? Do Ninja or Monk or anybody have some jump attacks or teleports or anything? I just really love the feel of those kinds of pounce attacks.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

MNK gets shoulder tackle, which is like plunge, and NIN get's shukuchi, which is a teleport that is targeted like a ground based aoe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tenik posted:

MNK gets shoulder tackle, which is like plunge, and NIN get's shukuchi, which is a teleport that is targeted like a ground based aoe.

That's cool, but also makes my decision of which damage class to level next even more difficult.

• Locked thread