Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Leofish posted:

I wondered this myself, when I saw his post yesterday. What a political climate to work in, where you actually have to make a statement like this. Brian Jean seems like a pretty genuine fella. I don't know him that well, though, so it may just be a political persona, but I do want to give people the benefit of the doubt, and I'll admit I don't follow Alberta politics that closely.

Some of his Facebook followers went on to say Notley the NDP "deserve it" for putting the bill out there in the first place, and everyone's favourite blowhard... we'll call him Ezra L.? No, that's too obvious... E. Levant, is now accusing the NDP legislators who got death threats, of lying about it in the house.

I have no question that Brian Jean honestly believes in the things he says, and does not support killing his opponents, but one should not forget that he and his party are pretty crazy. Remember that the "opposite" of supporting Bill 6 is essentially: "people should be allowed to put their employees in dangerous situations and otherwise expose them to harm."

That's a really hateful thing to support, IMO. The fact that it doesn't actually apply to family members as well is a flaw in the bill, if you ask me. The opposition to Bill 6 in its current incarnation is loving insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

PT6A posted:

I have no question that Brian Jean honestly believes in the things he says, and does not support killing his opponents, but one should not forget that he and his party are pretty crazy. Remember that the "opposite" of supporting Bill 6 is essentially: "people should be allowed to put their employees in dangerous situations and otherwise expose them to harm."

That's a really hateful thing to support, IMO. The fact that it doesn't actually apply to family members as well is a flaw in the bill, if you ask me. The opposition to Bill 6 in its current incarnation is loving insane.

Has the Wild Rose put forward an opposition to Bill 6 that was anything other than "scrap it"? Have they said what kind of legislation they'd rather see? I don't mean the supporters or other Facebook warriors, but the actual members of the legislature?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

T8R posted:

Having legal counsel would definitely have helped him with regards to not being completely wrong about this.

That depends on whether or not his counsel was, as I'm starting to suspect, the esteemed Leonard "J." Crabs.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Leofish posted:

Have the Republicans put forward an opposition to the PPACA that was anything other than "scrap it"? Have they said what kind of legislation they'd rather see? I don't mean the supporters or other Facebook warriors, but the actual members of the legislature?

It's the same answer.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Bill 6 seemed to me one of those things where the ANDP were just never going to "win" -- it was triggered primarily in response to that media story where all the children in one family died in a tragic farming accident. If they did nothing, it would've been used against them. If they did anything at all, it would've been used against them.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Monaghan posted:

I don't see the big deal of extending the deadline for refugees by two months.

I was actually including the extra two months in that 60% because they changed their 25,000 gov't sponsorships by 2015 to 10,000 gov't and 15,000 private by March 1st, 2016. The other 15,000 gov't sponsorships will happen in 2016 after March 1. The promise was effectively "Hey, we're going to bring in 25,000 gov't sponsored refugees in 2015" and what they're delivering is a rather underwhelming "Hey, we're going to bring in 25,000 gov't sponsored refugees for 2015 and 2016 combined". It's the usual Liberal shell game and I think it's a pretty valid thing to criticize him on.

They said 10,000 of the 25,000 by March 1st will be gov't and they have 3 months to do that, one of which is in 2015. That would distribute about 3,333 gov't sponsored refugees here by Jan 1st meaning they were 87% off on their initial promise and still 60% off by March. WIll they even make 10,000 this year? They have 164 so far and 2.5 weeks to go. Maybe they will keep the shells moving and count privates and gov't sponsorships the conservatives brought in earlier.

E: What a nice new av, I'll try to keep it.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 12, 2015

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Ikantski posted:

I was actually including the extra two months in that 60% because they changed their 25,000 gov't sponsorships by 2015 to 10,000 gov't and 15,000 private by March 1st, 2016. The other 15,000 gov't sponsorships will happen in 2016 after March 1. The promise was effectively "Hey, we're going to bring in 25,000 gov't sponsored refugees in 2015" and what they're delivering is a rather underwhelming "Hey, we're going to bring in 25,000 gov't sponsored refugees for 2015 and 2016 combined". It's the usual Liberal shell game and I think it's a pretty valid thing to criticize him on.

They said 10,000 of the 25,000 by March 1st will be gov't and they have 3 months to do that, one of which is in 2015. That would distribute about 3,333 gov't sponsored refugees here by Jan 1st meaning they were 87% off on their initial promise and still 60% off by March. WIll they even make 10,000 this year? They have 164 so far and 2.5 weeks to go. Maybe they will keep the shells moving and count privates and gov't sponsorships the conservatives brought in earlier.

It gets worse. The 163 that arrived in Toronto the other day were privately sponsored refugees, but were government assisted, in that they were flown in on an aircraft specifically chartered by the federal government.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

mojo1701a posted:

That depends on whether or not his counsel was, as I'm starting to suspect, the esteemed Leonard "J." Crabs.

Are you besmirching the good Leonard J. Crabs?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I think the thing that everyone is forgetting about Bill 6. Those regulations exist literally in every other loving province and farms are fine.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

I think the thing that everyone is forgetting about Bill 6. Those regulations exist literally in every other loving province and farms are fine.

My legal counsel told me that Alberta is a unique special snowflake and will collapse if you breathe at it the wrong way.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

This is something farmers literally do not give a poo poo about. I'm currently in my small home town for the weekend, where a bunch of events are happening. Wish me luck.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

DariusLikewise posted:

No you see, hal 2005 consulted legal counsel and

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Ikantski posted:

Nothing like this has been done by the public service in over a decade. I think I can forgive the Libs for thinking they could handle it when in fact a lot of that corporate knowledge and experience had moved on during the Harper era. From the inside, I can tell you that I've never seen the machine move so quickly on such a huge scale.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cultural Imperial posted:

No you see, hal 2005 consulted legal counsel and

Hal please come back and explain why you read this with legal counsel and also please keep taking your meds Hal

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 26, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

James Baud posted:

Not the whole bit about unionization...

Oh no! Farm workers might unionize so they can earn a living wage while working safely! That's not the Albertan way!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ikantski posted:

Too bad about the typo. Whoever bought it, just copy and paste the quotation you dummy!!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

El Scotch posted:

Are you besmirching the good Leonard J. Crabs?

Heaven forbid! Besides, I'm not the one that forgot the quotation marks around "J.".

:colbert:

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

James Baud posted:

And thus the unions will crush the infidels of the Albertan tribe and their lands will be split among the faithful. Notley Akbar!

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Stretch Marx posted:

And thus the unions will crush the infidels of the Albertan tribe and their lands will be split among the faithful. Notley Akbar!

Unironically want.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Today on my way home from work I had the fortune of being behind a jacked up, chromed out, Chevy pickup with Alberta plates that read HEE HAW, a giant confederate flag painted on it, and truck nuts.

Angry farmer or unemployed rig pig?

e: vvvv This was in Newmarket, so close enough.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 13, 2015

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
The mass exodus of unemployed albertans had begun quite a while ago. I see lots of Alberta plates in the west GTA

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I guess Alberta being reasonable is a lot to ask as this is the province that dresses up as cowboys, get mind numblingly drunk and fucks in public once a year.

James Baud posted:

Farm workers in Manitoba are allowed to union and have done so and it did not destroy our industry.

jm20 posted:

The mass exodus of unemployed albertans had begun quite a while ago. I see lots of Alberta plates in the west GTA

Should we really be allowing a free flow of Albertans into the rest of Canada? I think we need a more stringent screening process before allowing them to fly. I hear they have some pretty radical ideologies.

DariusLikewise fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 13, 2015

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

DariusLikewise posted:

I guess Alberta being reasonable is a lot to ask as this is the province that dresses up as cowboys, get mind numblingly drunk and fucks in public once a year.

Farm workers in Manitoba are allowed to union and have done so and it did not destroy our industry.

Should we really be allowing a free flow of Albertans into the rest of Canada? I think we need a more stringent screening process before allowing them to fly. I hear they have some pretty radical ideologies.

I propose a wall. Alberta is mostly square so it should be easy.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
The funny thing is in five years all the other provinces will be sending Alberta equalization cheques so they can continue to be ridiculous rednecks :)

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Do it ironically posted:

The funny thing is in five years all the other provinces will be sending Alberta equalization cheques so they can continue to be ridiculous rednecks :)

Not how it works.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Baudin posted:

Not how it works.

It's fitting given how a lot of the dumber parts of my birth province think though.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Playstation 4 posted:

It's fitting given how a lot of the dumber parts of my birth province think though.

We're a special breed clearly

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Reminder that Albertans are killing themselves +30% more than this time last year

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
lol it's really funny when people kill themselves, I bet their widowed spouses and children think it's a riot

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
How can we encourage Albertans to kill themselves faster? Out of mercy of course

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Do it ironically posted:

lol it's really funny when people kill themselves, I bet their widowed spouses and children think it's a riot

It is funny, especially when they do it ironically.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Do it ironically posted:

It's funny how you read that post as meaning it's funny, and by that I mean you're loving dumb.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hal_2005 posted:

Nope. Kindly check the act dumbass. I had to read it more then twice with legal counsel verifying each statement so dig deeper then a NDP press release which is totally unbiased, amirte?

Edit: Jesus you wasted 3 posts on 1 explanation? When did you go off your meds? Farm margins are so well documented as a cash intensive operation I'm not sure how I could even argue against trying to explain farming is not exactly a earnings rich field of work.

Farms work on trade credit. They also work on operating loans financed by their crop insurance premiums and sold forward contracts for harvested production. Layering into this poo poo sandwich, nearly all farmland and machinery is financed by land leases/mortgages. So pray tell, CI (keeper of D&D's domestic debt bubblewatch), how can overleveraged families who monetize all land revenue each year to meet their operating interest payments find fresh cash to set aside for defined benefit accounts remitted to the AB govt ?

Seriously, its Friday. Go out. Get laid.

A farm is a piece of land used to grow crops and/or raise animals.

People who grow these plants or raise these animals are called farmers. This type of work is called farming.

Land that is used to grow plants for food, or could be used to grow plants for food is called arable land. A life raising animals for food is called a pastoral life.

Many farms are very large and can cause damage. in some places farms are many and small. There are many types of farming.

Some people farm to eat the food they produce (subsistence agriculture). Other farms, including large ones, sell their products to many people far away in urban areas (industrial farming). Most subsistence farms are in poorer countries, while industrial farms are in richer countries.

Names of Farms

A farm that produces fruits or nuts is called an orchard.
A farm that produces grapes is called a vineyard.
A farm that raises and trains horses is called a stable.
A farm that produces milk and dairy products is called a dairy farm.
If the animals are raised for meat it is a ranch.
A large farm that produces non-essential crops like tobacco, coffee, cotton or sugarcane is called a plantation.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Playstation 4 posted:

It's funny how you read that post as meaning it's funny, and by that I mean you're loving dumb.

It's a shame I don't post about video games as an adult like you, so I could be as cool as you are

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Do it ironically posted:

It's a shame I don't post about video games as an adult like you, so I could be as cool as you are

Ah yes, instead he should be posting about other more adult ways to spend free time like kicking a ball around a field for 2 hours or smoking imported lung destroying tobacco products or maybe adding more chrome to his truck.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Too bad we're all manchildren for discussing politics on an internet comedy forum. better luck next time all.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Do it ironically posted:

Your "Guy at the party who goes out of his way to be offended" thing is annoying, so I guess you're succeeding at whatever you're trying to do I guess

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

eXXon posted:

A farm is a piece of land used to grow crops and/or raise animals.

People who grow these plants or raise these animals are called farmers. This type of work is called farming.

Land that is used to grow plants for food, or could be used to grow plants for food is called arable land. A life raising animals for food is called a pastoral life.

Many farms are very large and can cause damage. in some places farms are many and small. There are many types of farming.

Some people farm to eat the food they produce (subsistence agriculture). Other farms, including large ones, sell their products to many people far away in urban areas (industrial farming). Most subsistence farms are in poorer countries, while industrial farms are in richer countries.

Names of Farms

A farm that produces fruits or nuts is called an orchard.
A farm that produces grapes is called a vineyard.
A farm that raises and trains horses is called a stable.
A farm that produces milk and dairy products is called a dairy farm.
If the animals are raised for meat it is a ranch.
A large farm that produces non-essential crops like tobacco, coffee, cotton or sugarcane is called a plantation.

This was a nice presentation. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Professor Shark posted:

Your "Guy at the party who goes out of his way to be offended" thing is annoying, so I guess you're succeeding at whatever you're trying to do I guess

Don't worry, it's just them being ironic.