Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I only know him from his avuncular TV persona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The attorney general renewed his attempt to block the Syrian refugees from being resettled in Texas, saying the state had some new info or some bullshit about how dangerous they are.

A federal judge rejected the lawsuit.

quote:

AUSTIN, Texas – A federal judge knocked Texas for offering "largely speculative hearsay" about extremists possibly infiltrating Syrian refugees seeking to resettle in the state, rejecting another attempt by Republican leaders to keep out families fleeing the war-torn country.

U.S. District Judge David Godbey's Wednesday ruling cleared the way for the last of 21 Syrian refugees, many of whom are children under the age of 15, to resettle in Houston on Thursday.

The first dozen arrived earlier this week despite Texas mounting the most aggressive campaign of nearly 30 states that have vowed to ban Syrian refugees following the Paris attacks. Texas is the only state that has taken the U.S. government to court in an effort to block resettlements, but Godbey signaled skepticism about the lawsuit filed last week.

"The fact that this Court is required to assess the risk posed by a group of Syrian refugees illustrates one of the problems with this case," Godbey wrote in a three-page order. "The Court has no institutional competency in assessing the risk posed by refugees."

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

kids can fit into smaller spaces, they make for excellent suicide bombers

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Aliquid posted:

lol Fred Cantu

He would actually be a decent representative though

He's got my vote. :pervert:

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

Austin is great. The rest of Texas loving sucks.

Assuming you love white people and hate decent tacos

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I hate white people and love tacos. cant wait to move to San Antone

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bushiz posted:

I got nothing against white people, or people of any other race.

As for tacos, I dunno... there's some awesome joints if you know where to look.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Austin is the worst. QED.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Dameius posted:

Austin is the worst. QED.

:agreed:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Bushiz posted:

Whatever your opinions on Austin are, if you can't find a decent taco you're not loving trying.

Then again, working in a spanish speaking kitchen I may be spoiled.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Honestly SA should be the state capital.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
If you're interested, this crazy right-wing broadcast is doing a live stream with people who are at the mock mass shooting by UT. The level of paranoia with these people is insane - "I'm seeing a lot of people sitting around and texting. They might be monitoring us. I'm going to try to approach them cautiously". That sorta thing.

On the positive side, a mass farting counter-protest scheduled for the same time has more confirmed attendees than the original event.

EDIT: and of course, there's lots of false-flag, Sandy Hook trutherism poo poo, too.

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 12, 2015

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

Bushiz posted:

White people are great. And if you can't find a decent taco in Austin you're a loving supreme autist.

Hope this helps.

Having said this, Austin isn't as cool as everyone says it is.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

A white person invented the taco so that's a big w for the w people.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I dislike Jerry Jones, and demand an SA team.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

Whatever your opinions on Austin are, if you can't find a decent taco you're not loving trying.

Then again, working in a spanish speaking kitchen I may be spoiled.

He says, speaking of the city that poisoned the world with torchy's

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

THE BOMBINATRIX posted:

Having said this, Austin isn't as cool as everyone says it is.

Austin is only cool because it's near Dallas.

Bushiz posted:

White people love Torchy's!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bushiz posted:

You're not looking at the big picture. Torchy's dramatically reduces the number of hipsters at all other taco places. So if it makes you angry to have fried chicken in a taco, just keep driving past to your now less crowded "authentic" spot and enjoy taco cabana like you usually do.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

At least Torchys has their full menu all day everyday and stays open fairly late. Breakfast tacos shouldn't be relegated to the AM and taco places should close at goddamn 3pm like tacodeli tries to pass off as acceptable.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Sir Tonk posted:

Austin is only cool because it's near Dallas.

White people love Torchy's!

Yep, the Austin backlash is officially in full effect. Sorry, we can't help it that we're easily the best city in Texas.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

e_angst posted:

Yep, the Austin backlash is officially in full effect. Sorry, we can't help it that we're easily the best city in Texas.

Best segregated.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

computer parts posted:

Best segregated.

Sorry Austin wasn't smart enough to create entirely separate cities to stick their minorities.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trabisnikof posted:

Sorry Austin wasn't smart enough to create entirely separate cities to stick their minorities.

Actually, that would be even better segregation.

Though if you're desperate enough to compare a major city with a cow college town, then lol.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 12, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

At least Torchys has their full menu all day everyday and stays open fairly late. Breakfast tacos shouldn't be relegated to the AM and taco places should close at goddamn 3pm like tacodeli tries to pass off as acceptable.

Torchys jerk chicken taco is good. And it's cool they do sell the breakfast tacos all day.

Also 3pm, I do not understand? What place is that, I'm not in Austin no more.

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009
As someone who has lived in Austin most of my life, I feel a deep shame whenever I see torchys and their awful white people tacos.
That being said, gently caress the johnson/universal/san antonio triumvirate, save amaya's tacos on I-10, god bless nickel bean & cheese

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So much hate against white peoples. This is some sort of bizarre reverse-racism!

Ken's Subs and Tacos has really good tacos btw. And the clientele is sufficiently non-white.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I actually think Torchy's is pretty good, though I also like Chipotle and people seem adamant at declaring that "not real Mexican food" for some reason (though granted, using lemons instead of lime is pretty bad).

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

enraged_camel posted:

Ken's Subs and Tacos has really good tacos btw. And the clientele is sufficiently non-white.

That's good to know, I need my taco place to have a substantial non-white ratio in order to affirm to my friends and family that I'm "down with the peoples" and what have you.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Speaking of Austin tacos, the new-ish food truck called Phred's BBQ at the Bouldin Creek Food Court, on S 1st near the School for the Deaf, is loving amazing. I just had the rib taco, which comes with some kind of mango chutney and then I had the chicken, which comes with honey apples and banana yogurt, which sounded weird but was fantastic. Go check this place out. The owner is a cool old dude.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
It's ok to like Torchy's as long as you don't pretend that it's Mexican food.

Anyway, has Houston elected its first Republican mayor yet?

edit

http://www.khou.com/elections/

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 13, 2015

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Sir Tonk posted:

It's ok to like Torchy's as long as you don't pretend that it's Mexican food.

This is an entirely reasonable compromise.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This is an entirely reasonable compromise.

Yep, it is what it is and it is delicious, if wholly inauthentic. But I'll take Torchy's any day over all the shops trying to California-ize our tacos with asian pear, beets, and seared tuna with strange sauces.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Shifty Pony posted:

Yep, it is what it is and it is delicious, if wholly inauthentic. But I'll take Torchy's any day over all the shops trying to California-ize our tacos with asian pear, beets, and seared tuna with strange sauces.

Who cares? Tacos are just sandwiches after all, you can put anything you want on em.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

e_angst posted:

"Austin backlash" when Austin gets treated the same as any other city in Texas, lol.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:toot:

:psyduck:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Jesus Christ, Turner wins with 51%, that's insane.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Jesus Christ, Turner wins with 51%, that's insane.

He beat the Mattress Mack contingent.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Oil! posted:

He beat the Mattress Mack contingent.

Oh man what was with that, why did Mattress Mack think that was a good idea? Who wakes up and thinks 'hrm, ya know what I should do, weirdly politicize my mattress store'.

I hope he didn't loose too big a kickback.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

e_angst posted:

Houston would like to have a word with you.

Rip DJ Screw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Was worried for a minute there, thank goodness King didn't pull it off.

Some interesting data came out of the election, if anyone is curious. Kuffner is compiling it on his site.

http://offthekuff.com/wp/?p=71412

And.