Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Dating back to Terminator 2: How do T-1000s travel through time? They aren't covered with living tissue like the Arnold models are; they're pure metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

rydiafan posted:

Dating back to Terminator 2: How do T-1000s travel through time? They aren't covered with living tissue like the Arnold models are; they're pure metal.

Everything about the terminator time machine is batshit and anyone seriously arguing about is in fact, a terminator.

Why can't humans wear wool clothing? It's organic? Your hair is dead tissue, why doesn't Kyle Reese come in bald?

Irrational irritation.

More naked Kelly C. is good though.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

syscall girl posted:

In Terminator Genisys, I guess I should spoil this too,

the JC terminator is under the bus and rips the brake line out so Sarah gets a dead brake pedal and out of control bus. Except air brakes do not work that way. As I understand it you need air pressure to push against the springs that would clamp the brakes and tearing the line would put the brakes on full stop. That terminator would have been spread all over the Golden Gate Bridge if he'd done that.

Your understanding of brakes is 100% correct, and this situation happening in other movies has come up before. But if you've seen any of the Fast and Furious movies you know that there isn't a single loving person in Hollywood who understands or cares to understand how motor vehicles work.

There's nothing that you can do to make your engine blow its manifold, unless the manifold was a faulty piece of poo poo to start with. Nitrous oxide doesn't make your car have a higher top speed, it just makes it accelerate faster. Nitrous oxide also doesn't explode because the car is on fire; it needs to be injected into a very hot, high-pressure environment (like a combustion cylinder) to make it burn. Also, it's nitrous oxide - NOS is a brand name. And if your floor is falling out because you're going fast, your car is a loving deathtrap.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Memento posted:

Your understanding of brakes is 100% correct, and this situation happening in other movies has come up before. But if you've seen any of the Fast and Furious movies you know that there isn't a single loving person in Hollywood who understands or cares to understand how motor vehicles work.

There's nothing that you can do to make your engine blow its manifold, unless the manifold was a faulty piece of poo poo to start with. Nitrous oxide doesn't make your car have a higher top speed, it just makes it accelerate faster. Nitrous oxide also doesn't explode because the car is on fire; it needs to be injected into a very hot, high-pressure environment (like a combustion cylinder) to make it burn. Also, it's nitrous oxide - NOS is a brand name. And if your floor is falling out because you're going fast, your car is a loving deathtrap.

I consider it a continued missed opportunity in those movies to not have characters break down into giggle fits whenever a Nitrous Oxide canister leaks gas in their car or general area.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

rydiafan posted:

Didn't they explain it by their ability to mimick living tissue?

Memento posted:

Incidentally, Fury Road got this right.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

My Lovely Horse posted:

Didn't they explain it by their ability to mimick living tissue?
Terminator 2 only really makes any sense if you consider the T-1000 to be alive. That's how it time travels, that's why it keeps its own face instead of taking the cop's at the start, that's why shooting it slows it down, etc.

My irrationally irritating moment in Genisys is when Arnie becomes a T-1000. If the T-1000s have a processor in them, where does it go when that one spreads itself really thin across the hospital floor in T2?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

My Lovely Horse posted:

Is there anything it didn't?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pilchenstein posted:

Terminator 2 only really makes any sense if you consider the T-1000 to be alive. That's how it time travels, that's why it keeps its own face instead of taking the cop's at the start, that's why shooting it slows it down, etc.

My irrationally irritating moment in Genisys is when Arnie becomes a T-1000. If the T-1000s have a processor in them, where does it go when that one spreads itself really thin across the hospital floor in T2?

I don't think the original T1000 was meant to have a processor, but it also can't have spread itself that thin. You'd need a football field to accommodate a the mass of a an spread 1mm thick. I always assumed it went to a couple of inches minimum and banked on nlbody noticing the uneven floor.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jabby posted:

I don't think the original T1000 was meant to have a processor, but it also can't have spread itself that thin. You'd need a football field to accommodate a the mass of a an spread 1mm thick. I always assumed it went to a couple of inches minimum and banked on nlbody noticing the uneven floor.

The novelisation says that the T-1000 doesn't have a centralised processor, but its cells are connected together electrically in a way that duplicates the function. That's also why when pieces of it are removed they can move of their own volition; each is basically a mini-1000 in its own right, albeit without enough storage space to be anything other than a silver blob or to do anything other than find its way back to the main mass. Presumably this connection is sufficiently like Reese's "field generated by a living organism" that time travel is possible. Either way, don't think too hard about it. According to the novel even Skynet doesn't really know what it did and it's also absolutely uncertain about using the T-1000 because it can't control the T-1000.

That "field generated by a living organism" remark from the first movie also explains most of the other queries enough to handwave on the basis that Reese admitted he didn't know exactly how it worked either. John Connor's tech staff might have sent him back naked because the T-800s in the facility were stored naked and it's not like Skynet would keep period clothing about for its infiltrators when they could simply take it on arrival, so they simply assumed that was how it had to be. After all they were on a short clock and probably didn't have time to work it out.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yeah, Reese literally says he doesn't know "tech stuff".

T1 was on the TV here the other day, and my dad was irritated by people being chased always having to spend time looking back instead of just running. Which isn't so irrational I guess. Still a fantastic movie, though. Holds up like a motherfucker.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
T-1000 seems like a good setup for a cool scifi horror moment. They could have skynet harvesting skin from humans to make a time travel bag for liquid metal guy, or maybe inject an unwilling human's bloodstream full of it and then send him back. And of course have him just loving scream and explode upon arrival.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Light Gun Man posted:

T-1000 seems like a good setup for a cool scifi horror moment. They could have skynet harvesting skin from humans to make a time travel bag for liquid metal guy, or maybe inject an unwilling human's bloodstream full of it and then send him back. And of course have him just loving scream and explode upon arrival.

That WOULD be pretty cool

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Josef bugman posted:

Is there anything it didn't?

I mean if you're going to get all nitpicky, you could point out that having someone use your shoulder as a mount to fire an SKS from would basically render you deaf for several hours. But gently caress that, movie was awesome and broke immersion exactly zero times.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

In blanking. When did air brakes come up in Fury Road? Was it when Nux uncoupled the fuel pod?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Who What Now posted:

Amon was a "psychic bloodbender", meaning he could control the moisture in people's bodies without actually moving his own. He's paralyzingly his victims, meaning even if they could breathe fire or whatever they simply can't because their body won't respond.

Duuuuuuh. I'm so stupid.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

rydiafan posted:

In blanking. When did air brakes come up in Fury Road? Was it when Nux uncoupled the fuel pod?

Yep, he pulled the brake line, which correctly caused the brakes on the pod to lock up.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Light Gun Man posted:

There was a Terminator comic ( can't remember the name but I think it might have been one of the Robocop vs. Terminator ones) where they sort of do this. Since they can't get their fancy future weapons sent back in time they take a bunch of human prisoners, open them up and shove a bunch of weapons inside them. Then they close them up and time travel them before they die. Time travel loop holes are the best.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Memento posted:

I mean if you're going to get all nitpicky, you could point out that having someone use your shoulder as a mount to fire an SKS from would basically render you deaf for several hours. But gently caress that, movie was awesome and broke immersion exactly zero times.

True, but yeah I was planning on going on seeing Avengers after seeing it and just decided that "nope, that was much better than Avengers could be"

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Why did the writers even concoct the time travel only works on living tissue idea?

They already established that Terminators looked human for infiltration purposes to begin with, so they can't use it as an excuse for fleshy Terminators. And a Terminator is more than capable of procuring weapons on site, so using it as an excuse to keep them from showing up armed to the teeth doesn't work either. Even as a plot excuse to make it more difficult to send future tech back in time doesn't work since they circumvent this at every opportunity throughout the franchise.

The entire idea doesn't hold up to any reasonable scrutiny and just seems like the writers threw it in there to arbitrarily make time travel more complicated. Or Cameron just wanted an plot-supported excuse to put Arnold's bare rear end on the big screen.

Esroc has a new favorite as of 10:37 on Dec 13, 2015

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Esroc posted:

Why did the writers even concoct the time travel only works on living tissue idea?

They already established that Terminators looked human for infiltration purposes to begin with, so they can't use it as an excuse for fleshy Terminators. And a Terminator is more than capable of procuring weapons on site, so using it as an excuse to keep them from showing up armed to the teeth doesn't work either. Even as a plot excuse to make it more difficult to send future tech back in time doesn't work since they circumvent this at every opportunity throughout the franchise.

The entire idea doesn't hold up to any reasonable scrutiny and just seems like the writers threw it in there to arbitrarily make time travel more complicated. Or Cameron just wanted an plot-supported excuse to put Arnold's bare rear end on the big screen.
Supposedly the first film is based on a fever-dream James Cameron had, so either the robot in his nightmare had its cock out or it was the best way to stop everyone asking "why doesn't skynet send him back in a helicopter made out of lasers?". :shrug:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The idea goes all the way back to the first movie, so I'm guessing it's mostly "the only way we're shooting this within the budget is if we only use contemporary weapons and not spend a bunch of the FX cash on future gun props, we need that for the awesome skeleton".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Josef bugman posted:

"Finishing in the dining hall, Harry and Ron turn their wands on themselves"

idk if its from Boyle his self or the other thing, but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5YFJ0zsZnw

I cannot figure out how to make it play at a special time. Just saying Frankie makes that joke about 5:50 of that clip.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 11:55 on Dec 13, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

There was a Terminator comic ( can't remember the name but I think it might have been one of the Robocop vs. Terminator ones) where they sort of do this. Since they can't get their fancy future weapons sent back in time they take a bunch of human prisoners, open them up and shove a bunch of weapons inside them. Then they close them up and time travel them before they die. Time travel loop holes are the best.

As I recall, one Terminator in the TV series was sent back with a gun embedded into its leg.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Snapchat A Titty posted:

idk if its from Boyle his self or the other thing, but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5YFJ0zsZnw

Definitely Boyle.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Josef bugman posted:

Definitely Boyle.

hes a worldwide treasure

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Esroc posted:

The first Terminator is James Cameron attempting to tell a futuristic story on a very small budget, and is a prime example of how visionary directors work best with limitations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So who would win, a Terminator or a xenomorph?

I never understood why Weyland-Yutani wanted to capture those fuckers. It's not like you can train them, or safely contain them, or even loving shoot them safely. You can, I imagine, get a dropshipment of the eggs and leave them on a planet you want to gently caress up, but presumably you want the planet afterword, so you are faced with trying to nuke the poo poo out of it, or dealing with escape ships carrying more xenos offworld.

Though to be fair, using xenos in warefare makes more sense than goddamn raptors.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Cowslips Warren posted:

I never understood why Weyland-Yutani wanted to capture those fuckers. It's not like you can train them, or safely contain them, or even loving shoot them safely. You can, I imagine, get a dropshipment of the eggs and leave them on a planet you want to gently caress up, but presumably you want the planet afterword, so you are faced with trying to nuke the poo poo out of it, or dealing with escape ships carrying more xenos offworld.

Though to be fair, using xenos in warefare makes more sense than goddamn raptors.

Why not find out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_versus_Predator_versus_The_Terminator :v:

Basically yeah, I think the goal was to use them as weapons. Or to find out how they grew so quickly and do science with that.

In the extended universe of the comics etc, it was because you could make :catdrugs: out of them.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

I think the idea was to basically use them to kill everything on the whole drat planet. Presumably the xenos would die after they killed everything, or W-Y would develop some sort of control system to kill them off once they were done. Genetically engineer them to have limited lifespans, or make a virus or something that they all carry that kills them at a certain point, something like that.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Slime posted:

I think the idea was to basically use them to kill everything on the whole drat planet. Presumably the xenos would die after they killed everything, or W-Y would develop some sort of control system to kill them off once they were done. Genetically engineer them to have limited lifespans, or make a virus or something that they all carry that kills them at a certain point, something like that.

Literally all of those things were tried

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
The only thing that makes sense with the Xenomorphs is if theyre physiology would be a massive breakthrough in different research fields.

They would, as has been mentioned, just make terrible terrible uncontrollable weapons.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Slime posted:

One of the comics shows that they'll self parasitise if there's no other life forms so waiting for them to die off will take a gently caress of a long time. Everything else results in the experimenters getting horribly murdered by aliens.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A weapon of mass destruction you ultimately can't control, that can't be a metaphor for anything :v:

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

Everything else results in the experimenters getting horribly murdered by aliens.

Only because they insist on using human experimenters instead of those fancy androids. I suppose the robots would get trashed too but at least it would be manageable.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Anosmoman posted:

Only because they insist on using human experimenters instead of those fancy androids. I suppose the robots would get trashed too but at least it would be manageable.

Droids are expensive, humans aren't.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

Droids are expensive, humans aren't.

Androids don't give you a free repeat cycle of experiments either.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Cowslips Warren posted:

I never understood why Weyland-Yutani wanted to capture those fuckers.

Simple, WY's biotech director has some seriously dark fetishes and came up with the weapon proposal as an excuse to get his/her rocks off

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Nutsngum posted:

The only thing that makes sense with the Xenomorphs is if theyre physiology would be a massive breakthrough in different research fields.

They would, as has been mentioned, just make terrible terrible uncontrollable weapons.

Admittedly it's been way too long since I've seen the films, but this is what I thought as well. Do they ever explicitly say they want them as bio-weapons? Maybe I just blanked it out.

WY just string an alien up and collect its goo to make weird hive furniture.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ChogsEnhour posted:

Admittedly it's been way too long since I've seen the films, but this is what I thought as well. Do they ever explicitly say they want them as bio-weapons? Maybe I just blanked it out.

Yes. In Aliens Burke specifically tells Ripley that he wants the alien specimens for the Bio-Weapons Division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

ChogsEnhour posted:

Do they ever explicitly say they want them as bio-weapons? Maybe I just blanked it out.
In "Aliens", Burke tries to persuade Ripley to join his scheme by saying " Look, those two specimens are worth millions to the bio-weapons division, right? Now, if you're smart, we can both come out of it as heroes, and we will be set up for life."

//e: f;b