Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

HEY GAL posted:

so, the whole Holy Roman Empire deal is fractal, then?

As in every loving thing since Charlemagne hosed up by dividing up his empire among his heirs, it made sense at first. There was a line of Grafen holding the entire Grafschaft KatzeneInbogen but over time there suddenly were two lines and like with Hessen-Kassel, Hoya and many other lands in the HRE, the land was split between both lines, to prevent civil war over who was the real leader. Hoya ended up split, reunified when the older line died out and was later consumed by the Herzogtum Celle when both lines died out. Hessen-Kassel got split and then reunified thanks to one of the Landgrafen being on the right side of the 30-Years-War. KatzeneInbogen is a confusing mess, though. The lines split, then one line gets taken over by Hessen-Kassel but not the other and the entire Grafschaft is apparently a third, different deal altogether.

A fractal deal indead. Then Napoleon used his quantum powers to stomp all over it.

FAUXTON posted:

You might say he gave him the schaft

E:

GOD DAMNIT WHY DO YOU loving RESPOND FOR gently caress'S BLEEDING SAKE JUST IGNORE THE loving gently caress

Don't worry, I've taken the piss with him so much he should be drowning by now, but he still doesn't get it. I give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Can we just briefly mention that Katzenelnbogen translates to cat's elbow and that this is a very stupid name since cats don't have elbows, they have knees?

2/10 would not annex

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
So here's an oceanography nerdery question for the submarine-inclined in the thread: how relevant is the SOFAR channel in sub warfare, past and present? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOFAR_channel

Since the density of water (and therefore speed of sound) is dependent on depth/pressure and temperature, this creates a waveguide of sorts at a specific depth across the global ocean. I was told in several ocean science classes that a submarine diving through SOFAR depth would be detectable thousands of miles away because the popping noise of compression would transmit over entire oceans via the SOFAR channel.

Just curious to what extent it's a significant consideration in sub warfare.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ArchangeI posted:

Can we just briefly mention that Katzenelnbogen translates to cat's elbow and that this is a very stupid name since cats don't have elbows, they have knees?

2/10 would not annex

Maybe the cats there have elbows.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pellisworth posted:

So here's an oceanography nerdery question for the submarine-inclined in the thread: how relevant is the SOFAR channel in sub warfare, past and present? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOFAR_channel

Since the density of water (and therefore speed of sound) is dependent on depth/pressure and temperature, this creates a waveguide of sorts at a specific depth across the global ocean. I was told in several ocean science classes that a submarine diving through SOFAR depth would be detectable thousands of miles away because the popping noise of compression would transmit over entire oceans via the SOFAR channel.

Just curious to what extent it's a significant consideration in sub warfare.

Anyone who knows a substantive answer to this isn't in any position to reveal any sort of useful information; that being said, from what I've gathered (by TALKING to sub guys, mind you) they spend a huge amount of time and energy messing with underwater acoustics through the various thermal layers and salinity differences and all that stuff. Like with anything sub-related though it is among the more closely guarded secrets the world over so without a clearance you'll not have much access to any detailed technical data.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

bewbies posted:

Anyone who knows a substantive answer to this isn't in any position to reveal any sort of useful information; that being said, from what I've gathered (by TALKING to sub guys, mind you) they spend a huge amount of time and energy messing with underwater acoustics through the various thermal layers and salinity differences and all that stuff. Like with anything sub-related though it is among the more closely guarded secrets the world over so without a clearance you'll not have much access to any detailed technical data.

Ok cool I kinda figured. Physical oceanographers (the types that would study acoustics and whatnot) are in super high demand by the Dept of Naval Research, so no surprise. Just curious cause it was supposed to be a Big Deal from the coursework I've done.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Pellisworth posted:

Ok cool I kinda figured. Physical oceanographers (the types that would study acoustics and whatnot) are in super high demand by the Dept of Naval Research, so no surprise. Just curious cause it was supposed to be a Big Deal from the coursework I've done.

Everything I've heard indicates it is to the degree they stop right there so having a bit of confusion makes plenty of sense. Some of the best info to be had on the subject come from backsolving from weapons, and it implies some serious wizardry.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 13, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The average depth of the global ocean is 3.8km and there are huge temperature gradients (and therefore density/sound speed) involved, poo poo's complex.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Molentik posted:

I feel this is a joke my grandparents could have told their friends in hushed tones during the war.

One joke my grandpa loved to tell was

Another good one is

It came from a book my dad owns written about eighties-era Poland which has a bunch of anti-authoritarian jokes in it. (I did a poster on Poland in fourth grade and didn't understand why my teacher didn't want me using Polish jokes.)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

StashAugustine posted:

It came from a book my dad owns written about eighties-era Poland which has a bunch of anti-authoritarian jokes in it. (I did a poster on Poland in fourth grade and didn't understand why my teacher didn't want me using Polish jokes.)

My personal favorite historical Polish joke still gets told in Poznan a century after the end of partition. :haw:

A Pole from Warsaw (capital of the Russian partition) and a Pole from Poznan (capital of the Prussian/German partition) happen to meet and have a couple dozen beers together. The Pole from Warsaw starts talking about how they're stockpiling weapons and getting ready to overthrow the occupiers and restore a free and sovereign Poland. The Poznan Pole looks a bit nervous and goes, "Well, that sounds great and all, but... are you sure that's allowed? :ohdear:"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I might dig up some more later but my favorite and still applicable today is: A Pole gets back from a trip to America and it telling all his friends about it, and how strange their customs are- for example, someone invited him over for drinks, and you know what he did? He put the cap back on!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

GreyjoyBastard posted:

My personal favorite historical Polish joke still gets told in Poznan a century after the end of partition. :haw:

A Pole from Warsaw (capital of the Russian partition) and a Pole from Poznan (capital of the Prussian/German partition) happen to meet and have a couple dozen beers together. The Pole from Warsaw starts talking about how they're stockpiling weapons and getting ready to overthrow the occupiers and restore a free and sovereign Poland. The Poznan Pole looks a bit nervous and goes, "Well, that sounds great and all, but... are you sure that's allowed? :ohdear:"

Oh my stars, this joke is hilarious. :D

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Oh my stars, this joke is hilarious. :D

Goes together well with the comment from Lenin (I think), who stated that there couldn't be a revolution in Germany, because in Germany, revolutions are verboten!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jerome K. Jerome, 1900:

quote:

The German citizen is a soldier, and the policeman is his officer. The policeman directs him where in the street to walk, and how fast to walk. At the end of each bridge stands a policeman to tell the German how to cross it. Were there no policeman there, he would probably sit down and wait till the river had passed by. At the railway station the policeman locks him up in the waiting-room, where he can do no harm to himself. When the proper time arrives, he fetches him out and hands him over to the guard of the train, who is only a policeman in another uniform. The guard tells him where to sit in the train, and when to get out, and sees that he does get out. In Germany you take no responsibility upon yourself whatever. Everything is done for you, and done well. You are not supposed to look after yourself; you are not blamed for being incapable of looking after yourself; it is the duty of the German policeman to look after you. That you may be a helpless idiot does not excuse him should anything happen to you. Wherever you are and whatever you are doing you are in his charge, and he takes care of you—good care of you; there is no denying this.
I remember in one German town—I forget which; it is immaterial; the incident could have happened in any—noticing an open gate leading to a garden in which a concert was being given. There was nothing to prevent anyone who chose from walking through that gate, and thus gaining admittance to the concert without paying. In fact, of the two gates quarter of a mile apart it was the more convenient. Yet of the crowds that passed, not one attempted to enter by that gate. They plodded steadily on under a blazing sun to the other gate, at which a man stood to collect the entrance money. I have seen German youngsters stand longingly by the margin of a lonely sheet of ice. They could have skated on that ice for hours, and nobody have been the wiser. The crowd and the police were at the other end, more than half a mile away, and round the corner. Nothing stopped their going on but the knowledge that they ought not.
Hitherto, the German has had the blessed fortune to be exceptionally well governed; if this continue, it will go well with him. When his troubles will begin will be when by any chance something goes wrong with the governing machine.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

quote:

When his troubles will begin will be when by any chance something goes wrong with the governing machine.

You can loving say that again

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
that's prussia's fault, my germans ain't give a drat

they are, however, exceptionally legalistic. there are Rules for how to do things in the Empire, and everyone does their legal things according to those rules, my subjects included. they may be starving half to death but by god if some dude does a thing they'll try him according to the Praiseworthy Imperial War Law.

this mindset continues until Napoleon conquers half the place and the last Diet dissolves itself (legally, according to the rules) to deny him the pleasure of being Emperor.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 13, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FAUXTON posted:

Maybe the cats there have elbows.

cats have elbows, on their arms obv

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

cats have elbows, on their arms obv

Bird legs don't bend backwards.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

HEY GAL posted:

this mindset continues until Napoleon conquers half the place and the last Diet dissolves itself (legally, according to the rules) to deny him the pleasure of being Emperor.

Rule #1 of Napoleonic era Germany: gently caress you, Napoleon.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
How did Napoleon manipulate the Holy Roman Empire to get bits of it to join the Confederation of the Rhine and then just run over the bits that didn't? Is it just Nation-states destroy everything else?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hazzard posted:

How did Napoleon manipulate the Holy Roman Empire to get bits of it to join the Confederation of the Rhine and then just run over the bits that didn't? Is it just Nation-states destroy everything else?
because rule #2 of napoleonic-era germany was "hey, this napoleon thing seems pretty cool"

responses to napoleon varied by state

and nation-states suck, whatever the gently caress the HRE was is way better

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 13, 2015

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

HEY GAL posted:

because rule #2 of napoleonic-era germany was "hey, this napoleon thing seems pretty cool"

responses to napoleon varied by state

Bavaria: Hey Napoeon is kinda chill.

Saxony: We're down with Napleon! PSYCHE!

Prussia: gently caress loving YOU NAPOLEON/OH GOD DON'T HURT US/gently caress YOU!

Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel: Napoleon? *spinning Skull GIF*

EDIT: Kingdom Of Italy: I'm not supposed to be here.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 13, 2015

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

I've often wondered how El Nino affects submarine warfare in the Pacific. I've seen it mentioned vaguely that submarines can "hide" below the thermocline, because of its effects on the speed of sound. Wonder if the flattening of the thermocline that accompanies El Nino changes anything for strategic positioning. Does El Nino affect the SOFAR channel as well? And yeah I know no one can give real answers on this stuff but its interesting to speculate.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
This sounds like the premise of a good (bad) Tom Clancy novel.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Bavaria: Hey Napoeon is kinda chill.

Saxony: We're down with Napleon! PSYCHE!

Prussia: gently caress loving YOU NAPOLEON/OH GOD DON'T HURT US/gently caress YOU!

Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel: Napoleon? *spinning Skull GIF*

EDIT: Kingdom Of Italy: I'm not supposed to be here.
hesse-kassel, hesse-marburg, hesse-rheinfels, and hesse-darmstadt: what even are we

sriously:

1550NM
Aug 31, 2004
Frossen fisk
Bistum Minden? Now theyre Just taking the piss

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

shallowj posted:

I've often wondered how El Nino affects submarine warfare in the Pacific. I've seen it mentioned vaguely that submarines can "hide" below the thermocline, because of its effects on the speed of sound. Wonder if the flattening of the thermocline that accompanies El Nino changes anything for strategic positioning. Does El Nino affect the SOFAR channel as well? And yeah I know no one can give real answers on this stuff but its interesting to speculate.

I don't know too much about sub warfare (hence why I asked) but I'm gonna guess "not much." El Nino is going to affect the seasonal thermocline (surface mixed layer depth) which is really shallow, like 50m max. The SOFAR channel, especially at low latitudes, is way deeper in the permanent thermocline (500-1000m ballpark).

The SOFAR channel is much shallower at high latitudes, so that might be a different story.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

I might dig up some more later but my favorite and still applicable today is: A Pole gets back from a trip to America and it telling all his friends about it, and how strange their customs are- for example, someone invited him over for drinks, and you know what he did? He put the cap back on!

Can you explain this one?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

1550NM posted:

Bistum Minden? Now theyre Just taking the piss

It is the HRE version of 'I've got a rock!' really.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Can you explain this one?

Means he's surprised there's still vodka left in the bottle when they're done.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

Nation-states exist, the HRE doesn't.
Nation-states: 1
HRE: 0

I do think Nation-states are better than anything else ever designed to organise manpower and use it to win wars.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

shallowj posted:

Pellisworth posted:

I don't know too much about sub warfare (hence why I asked) but I'm gonna guess "not much." El Nino is going to affect the seasonal thermocline (surface mixed layer depth) which is really shallow, like 50m max. The SOFAR channel, especially at low latitudes, is way deeper in the permanent thermocline (500-1000m ballpark).

The SOFAR channel is much shallower at high latitudes, so that might be a different story.

I do sonar data analysis for a living, and my gut accumulated experience agrees that it's not much of an effect. It is an interesting question and I've asked one of my contacts who used to be a STS on a LA sub in the north atlantic who now does consulting on towed array sonars.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Hazzard posted:

Napoleon's consolidation of German states benefited several of the states and they proved reliable allies until the turncoat Austrians showed up in 1813. Playing small states against Prussia and Austria has been a significant part of French diplomacy since those two states became powerful and well before Napoleon's time.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Panzeh posted:

Napoleon's consolidation of German states benefited several of the states and they proved reliable allies until the turncoat Austrians showed up in 1813. Playing small states against Prussia and Austria has been a significant part of French diplomacy since those two states became powerful and well before Napoleon's time.

hell, allying with parts of the Empire against the Emperor or against Spain was a thing for France long before Prussia was even a thing, French foreign policy during the early 17th century is all about cultivating small Italian polities, small German polities, some Swiss but not other Swiss, or Bavaria

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

It is the HRE version of 'I've got a rock!' really.
the smallest early modern Imperial citystate i am aware of is Zell am Harmersbach, population ~80

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

HEY GAL posted:

the smallest early modern Imperial citystate i am aware of is Zell am Harmersbach, population ~80

Oh I stand corrected, THAT is the 'I got a rock' of the HRE. That is like what, all the servant staff of a single manor? how many times was it accidentally invaded?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh I stand corrected, THAT is the 'I got a rock' of the HRE. That is like what, all the servant staff of a single manor? how many times was it accidentally invaded?
according to german Wikipedia, it had to defend itself assiduously against attempts by Ortenau, which belonged to the hereditary lands of the House of Austria, to take it over, but the neighboring Free Cities of Gengenbach und Offenburg supported it in this. No, i don't know how many people Gegenbah and Offenburg had.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

hesse-kassel, hesse-marburg, hesse-rheinfels, and hesse-darmstadt: what even are we

sriously:

That map could cause seizures.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
How big are those really tiny territories, like the ones just north of Frankfurt? Like...the size of a football field?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

bewbies posted:

How big are those really tiny territories, like the ones just north of Frankfurt? Like...the size of a football field?

since red in that map means citystate, probably the city plus whatever lands outside it swear fealty to it, if any. you ever been in a European city that still had the old walls, and it's always surprisingly small, just sort of a little blob in the city center? think smaller than that because I guarantee those little red dots are things nobody's every heard of

edit: the map key has the scale in it in kilometers, and eyeballing it it looks like the little red chips are about a mile across?

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 13, 2015

• Locked thread