Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Can anyone recommend a laptop that will be better than that one for around $400? I looked at a processor hierarchy chart and poo poo my pants. Things seemed so much simpler when I walked into wal-mart and bought the last one :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
Hi everyone!

My girlfriend bought a Lenovo Y700 for Black Friday, and when it arrived, she ran Lenovo Diagnostic Solutions and found that some tests were failing right out of the box. Is that something she should be worried about?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Farchanter posted:

Hi everyone!

My girlfriend bought a Lenovo Y700 for Black Friday, and when it arrived, she ran Lenovo Diagnostic Solutions and found that some tests were failing right out of the box. Is that something she should be worried about?

What tests?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

obi_ant posted:

What tests?

Lenovo Diagnostic Solutions

And if they say something's wrong, odds are something is. That machine is under warranty, and less than a month old so probably easier to exchange at the store, otherwise call Lenovo for a replacement.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What do you guys think of the MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 4K-053? I've never touched one in person, hows the build quality?

Edit: It can!

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 11, 2015

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

xcore posted:

You're confusing me. Your complaining about not being able to transmit files to a USB stick but you hate streaming devices because it kills your network? Isn't that the same thing?
Streaming kills the network *while I'm using it* and that in turn makes the playback choppy and annoying. Transmitting files is something I can start just before I go to sleep or leave for work.

quote:

You can get a 128GB USB stick for $30 bucks or a 500GB external HDD for $50. Granted I don't live in the US, but surely you can't get a laptop for less than $130?
A used T420 goes for right around $130.
I'm leaning towards the firebox now for this purpose anyway though - easily controllable for Netflix, Prime *and* files, with a remote, is a huge plus. The file supply side being a little more awkward is probably a reasonable price to pay for that convenience.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Maybe set up a second 802.11ac network just for streaming?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Waroduce posted:

can anyone recommend a not poo poo chromebook around 200?

is a tablet more worth it at that price tag
Several of the low-power Bay Trail chromebooks are in that price range. But if you're also considering a tablet maybe you should explain your use case?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

obi_ant posted:

What do you guys think of the MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 4K-053? I've never touched one in person, hows the build quality?
In general, MSI makes quality laptops. That 4K should be 60hz which is nice, but I'm not big on 4K/15" monitors.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Ok, final question - in the $400 price range I think I've found my best overall option, please tell me if this is terrible or not. Current laptop is a 17" HP with 3gb of ram and a Pentium something or other. Not an i3 like I thought.

Gopro video editing and Counter Strike will be the most demanding things for this laptop, and from what I understand the integrated Intel HD 5500 chip should be decent for those. Only 4gb of ram but it can handle 16.

Lenovo Thinkpad E450 14" Laptop, Intel Core i5-5200U Dual-Core 2.2GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB SATA, 802.11n, Bluetooth, Win7Pro
http://computers.woot.com/offers/lenovo-thinkpad-e450-intel-i5-laptop-9?ref=cp_cnt_wp_10_41

Processor: Intel Core i5-5200U 2.2GHz (Turbo up to 2.7GHz)
3MB Cache
Processor Core: Dual-Core
Screen Size: 14"
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Resolution: 1366 x 768
Display Type: Anti-Glare HD LED-backlit
Graphics: Integrated Intel HD 5500
Memory: 4GB DDR3 (16GB max)
Hard Drive: 500GB SATA 5400RPM
Optical Drive: No
Network: 10/100/1000Mbps
Wireless: 802.11b/g/n
Card Reader: 4-in-1 media card slot
Battery: 6-Cell Lithium-Ion
Speakers: Built-in
Webcam: 720P HD Webcam
Microphone: Integrated
Keyboard: Full-Size
Pointing Device: Multi-Touch Clickpad

Thanks for your time goons!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Astonishing Wang posted:

Ok, final question - in the $400 price range I think I've found my best overall option, please tell me if this is terrible or not. Current laptop is a 17" HP with 3gb of ram and a Pentium something or other. Not an i3 like I thought.

Gopro video editing and Counter Strike will be the most demanding things for this laptop, and from what I understand the integrated Intel HD 5500 chip should be decent for those. Only 4gb of ram but it can handle 16.

Lenovo Thinkpad E450 14" Laptop, Intel Core i5-5200U Dual-Core 2.2GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB SATA, 802.11n, Bluetooth, Win7Pro
http://computers.woot.com/offers/lenovo-thinkpad-e450-intel-i5-laptop-9?ref=cp_cnt_wp_10_41

Processor: Intel Core i5-5200U 2.2GHz (Turbo up to 2.7GHz)
3MB Cache
Processor Core: Dual-Core
Screen Size: 14"
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Resolution: 1366 x 768
Display Type: Anti-Glare HD LED-backlit
Graphics: Integrated Intel HD 5500
Memory: 4GB DDR3 (16GB max)
Hard Drive: 500GB SATA 5400RPM
Optical Drive: No
Network: 10/100/1000Mbps
Wireless: 802.11b/g/n
Card Reader: 4-in-1 media card slot
Battery: 6-Cell Lithium-Ion
Speakers: Built-in
Webcam: 720P HD Webcam
Microphone: Integrated
Keyboard: Full-Size
Pointing Device: Multi-Touch Clickpad

Thanks for your time goons!

Consider a a used T430. It'll have worse graphics, but a better screen, likely more RAM or a SSD, and build quality will be through the roof.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

slidebite posted:

In general, MSI makes quality laptops. That 4K should be 60hz which is nice, but I'm not big on 4K/15" monitors.

Hinges and moving parts may be quality on the GS60 line but the aluminum feels thin and flimsy as poo poo.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Seamonster posted:

Hinges and moving parts may be quality on the GS60 line but the aluminum feels thin and flimsy as poo poo.

Ugh. I'm having such a hard time deciding between a Dell XPS 15 9550 and the GS60 Ghost Pro 4K-053. Both have the same processor, 4k screen (ish), SSD and memory.

On one hand, I really like the look, feel and build quality of the Dell. But, I'm a bit underwhelmed by the GPU and the HDMI 1.3(?) port.

I really like the GPU of the GS60. But since I've never touched one personally, the build quality is a concern to me.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
Any recommendations for a laptop on the smallish scale that runs Linux (fedora/debian/ubuntu) pretty well? I remember having tons of driver issues years ago - not sure if that has gotten any better.

poxin fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 12, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

poxin posted:

Any recommendations for a laptop on the smallish scale that runs Linux (fedora/debian/ubuntu) pretty well? I remember having tons of driver issues years ago - not sure if that has gotten any better.
Well every Chromebook is by definition a Linux laptop, check ahead of time how hard it will be to activate dev mode on a specific device. Or keep the Chrome OS and install crouton.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

poxin posted:

I would suggest getting a XPS 13 Developer Edition. I have heard good things about System76 Linux laptops which are basically custom Clevo laptops.

The cheap option is definitely a Chromebook. I bought a used first generation Chromebook Pixel and put Ubuntu on it with Crouton and it is handles my basic Linux needs.

mrpeaches
Jan 12, 2005

obi_ant posted:

Ugh. I'm having such a hard time deciding between a Dell XPS 15 9550 and the GS60 Ghost Pro 4K-053. Both have the same processor, 4k screen (ish), SSD and memory.

On one hand, I really like the look, feel and build quality of the Dell. But, I'm a bit underwhelmed by the GPU and the HDMI 1.3(?) port.

I really like the GPU of the GS60. But since I've never touched one personally, the build quality is a concern to me.

I will add an anecdote for your search.

I just picked up a Dell XPS 15 9550 (the i7 version from the Microsoft store). My laptop history is almost exclusively Thinkpad (owned a x30, x61, t410s, w520).

The XPS is an extremely impressive piece of kit. Mine is put together very well. The size and weight is almost unbelievable. There is no comparison between the portability of this and my former 15 inch Thinkpad w520, this XPS is like 1.5 lbs lighter (including the AC adapter) and nearly half the thickness. The 4k screen is incredible; by far the best screen I've ever had on a laptop. I like to play games, but mostly single player. The 4k screen does have a little ghosting (slower response time) that I could see being troublesome if you were a competitive CS:GO player or something. For my uses (casual games, single-player FPS, RPGs), it is sublime.

I use the touch screen far more often than I would have thought for a non-convertible laptop.

The keyboard is very average compared to Thinkpads. I have had no problem with the keyboard in terms of missed keystrokes or anything, but the key travel is very shallow and I'm just a devoted Thinkpad keyboard fan.

The touchpad is by far the best I have used on a windows laptop.

The combination of i7 quad core, 16gb RAM, and a very fast 512gb PCIe SSD handles everything I throw at it like a champ. I am smitten with this amount of performance in such a portable package. I have encountered zero throttling issues with this laptop while gaming.

Battery life is on the lower side as compared to Macbooks or the heavier/extended battery Thinkpads. I've been getting a consistent 5-7 hours on balanced doing a mix of surfing/videos/visual studio with the 84Whr model that I have. If this is a concern then I would look elsewhere. I have heard that the non-4k model XPS 15 gets better battery life, but this was not an area of concern for me.

HDMI 1.4 is not a concern for me because the XPS 15 comes with a Thunderbolt 3 port that supports USB-C to displayport cables that will give you all of the resolution that you desire. Also, it should support any upcoming eGPU docks if you want to pursue that course for better performance in the future.

Let me know if you have any questions. Personally I have been very satisfied with this purchase and would recommend it for someone who needs very good performance (with an amazing screen) in a highly portable package and doesn't need extreme amounts of battery life.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

obi_ant posted:

A few of us here have the big MSI GT72 and really like them, they are a quality unit, but I personally have zero experience with the GS60. Is there a brick and mortar store locally that might have one to touch?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If something breaks on your MSI my feeling is that the warranty experience will be horrible. Dell isn't rated that highly either but they do have a huge retail presence and lots of support.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

mrpeaches posted:

I just picked up a Dell XPS 15 9550 (the i7 version from the Microsoft store). My laptop history is almost exclusively Thinkpad (owned a x30, x61, t410s, w520).

Oy, no MSI in any brick and mortars.

I physically touched and played with one inside a Microsoft store and I'm fairly confident that I'm going to purchase the unit. I guess the only thing holding me back is the the fear that I'm going to want to play an AAA game down the line and I won't have the power to support it. I mean, given the history of the games that I've played, I really shouldn't be concerned. I've recently played... Team Fortress 2, Star Craft 2, Helldivers, Civilization 5, X-Com, Hearthstone, Counter Strike: GO, Bastion, DOTA, LOL, FTL, Hotline Miami and some other indie games. The issue is that I uh, "need" to play games in their highest setting.

Edit: Is the 512 SSD faster than the 256? I saw some reviews that stated they are?

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 12, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

obi_ant posted:

Edit: Is the 512 SSD faster than the 256? I saw some reviews that stated they are?

Speed's generally based on the model, not storage size. If it's getting better results, it might be a newer variant with a larger capacity.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

mrpeaches posted:

The XPS is an extremely impressive piece of kit. Mine is put together very well. The size and weight is almost unbelievable. There is no comparison between the portability of this and my former 15 inch Thinkpad w520, this XPS is like 1.5 lbs lighter (including the AC adapter) and nearly half the thickness. The 4k screen is incredible; by far the best screen I've ever had on a laptop. I like to play games, but mostly single player. The 4k screen does have a little ghosting (slower response time) that I could see being troublesome if you were a competitive CS:GO player or something. For my uses (casual games, single-player FPS, RPGs), it is sublime.

I use the touch screen far more often than I would have thought for a non-convertible laptop.

The keyboard is very average compared to Thinkpads. I have had no problem with the keyboard in terms of missed keystrokes or anything, but the key travel is very shallow and I'm just a devoted Thinkpad keyboard fan.

The touchpad is by far the best I have used on a windows laptop.

The combination of i7 quad core, 16gb RAM, and a very fast 512gb PCIe SSD handles everything I throw at it like a champ. I am smitten with this amount of performance in such a portable package. I have encountered zero throttling issues with this laptop while gaming.

Battery life is on the lower side as compared to Macbooks or the heavier/extended battery Thinkpads. I've been getting a consistent 5-7 hours on balanced doing a mix of surfing/videos/visual studio with the 84Whr model that I have. If this is a concern then I would look elsewhere. I have heard that the non-4k model XPS 15 gets better battery life, but this was not an area of concern for me.

HDMI 1.4 is not a concern for me because the XPS 15 comes with a Thunderbolt 3 port that supports USB-C to displayport cables that will give you all of the resolution that you desire. Also, it should support any upcoming eGPU docks if you want to pursue that course for better performance in the future.

Let me know if you have any questions. Personally I have been very satisfied with this purchase and would recommend it for someone who needs very good performance (with an amazing screen) in a highly portable package and doesn't need extreme amounts of battery life.

How is the webcam for videoconferencing? I've heard that the placement basically makes it unusable.

I'm basically cross shopping that laptop with this ASUS macbook pro clone for essentially $600 less for comparable specs. Sure the ASUS doesn't have the thin bezel and the corresponding smaller form factor, but at least the webcam placement is standard.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Mu Zeta posted:

If something breaks on your MSI my feeling is that the warranty experience will be horrible. Dell isn't rated that highly either but they do have a huge retail presence and lots of support.

Really? That's not the feeling that I got from the couple forums I've been on. :shrug:

I can't say I haven't used their service, but their support people actually post and give prompt replies.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 12, 2015

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rastor posted:

Well every Chromebook is by definition a Linux laptop,
Caveat compatibility with out-of-the-box desktop Linux distributions. They all do run the Linux kernel, but some are less representative of mainline than others, and they all use a non-standard (but open source) bootloader and boot process.

The Haswell Intel models had really good compatibility with desktop Linux distributions. I imagine the newer Broadwell models are the same. The Bay Trail/Cherry Trail models had (and still have?) issues booting desktop Linux distributions. And you pretty much have to stick with Chrome OS on the ARM models.

Rastor posted:

check ahead of time how hard it will be to activate dev mode on a specific device. Or keep the Chrome OS and install crouton.
Dev mode, as well as recovery images, are available for all devices. The good news is so long as you don't open the thing up and mess with internals, you can get it back into a usable Chrome OS state. Crouton also works on all devices, supporting X11 applications at least through the X-in-a-Chrome-tab (xiwi) approach. If you have to run 3D or other graphically intensive desktop applications you'll want to go with an Intel model where you can run X.org directly, but for things like the GIMP, OpenOffice, Wireshark, and the few other Linux desktop tools I use, xiwi is great.

To sum it up: I'd be careful about getting a Chromebook with the intention of replacing the OS entirely with a Linux desktop distribution. It may work, depending on the model, but you'll want to do your research, and the results may not be much better than a well supported traditional laptop (e.g., Dell XPS series). However, if you actually like Chrome OS, and spent most of your time in Chrome or a terminal, occasionally running a few additional desktop Linux applications, they are nifty cheap machines without the headaches of Windows and don't have the driver compatibility issues I've ran into on every other laptop on which I've run "Linux".

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 12, 2015

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Caveat compatibility with out-of-the-box desktop Linux distributions. They all do run the Linux kernel, but some are less representative of mainline than others, and they all use a non-standard (but open source) bootloader and boot process.

The Haswell Intel models had really good compatibility with desktop Linux distributions. I imagine the newer Broadwell models are the same. The Bay Trail/Cherry Trail models had (and still have?) issues booting desktop Linux distributions. And you pretty much have to stick with Chrome OS on the ARM models.

The problem isn't the operating systems, the problem is the applications. I can run Xubuntu just fine, but there's not much I can actually run in Xubuntu because of lack of ARM support in Linux in general.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

poxin posted:

A Thinkpad X250 or T450s or T450 or something like that, configured with an Intel wifi card.

The main driver concerns these days are with the wifi card (make sure it's a known quantity) and graphics card (integrated works good, discrete is getting... better, don't ask me about the Optimus situation).

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

HPL posted:

but there's not much I can actually run in Xubuntu because of lack of ARM support in Linux in general.
Really? Pretty much everything I use in Debian works on armhf just fine. I recently ran into a bug with OpenJDK, but switching to Oracle Java (which has armhf support) fixed that.

I suppose proprietary applications are the usual culprit. Also Wine. For things like Flash, Citrix, etc., you're actually better with Chrome OS than desktop Linux because they have sufficient popularity (at least, within certain markets) that vendors are actively supporting the platform.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Really? Pretty much everything I use in Debian works on armhf just fine. I recently ran into a bug with OpenJDK, but switching to Oracle Java (which has armhf support) fixed that.

I suppose proprietary applications are the usual culprit. Also Wine. For things like Flash, Citrix, etc., you're actually better with Chrome OS than desktop Linux because they have sufficient popularity (at least, within certain markets) that vendors are actively supporting the platform.

Wine is the biggie, but there's also annoying stuff like Canon Linux printer drivers which are compiled for Intel CPUs only and won't install on ARM for love nor money.

In other Chromebook news, I found out about the interactive keyboard shortcut guide. CTRL-ALT-/. How did I now know about this sooner? Chrome OS just got a million times awesomer.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

HPL posted:

Maybe set up a second 802.11ac network just for streaming?
Thanks, that's a good suggestion in many environments. Not here, unfortunately, as the 802.11 space is pretty badly saturated. Seems like every few months I have to change the channel I'm using to whichever one the neighbors now aren't on as much as the others.

mrpeaches
Jan 12, 2005

Lolcano Eruption posted:

How is the webcam for videoconferencing? I've heard that the placement basically makes it unusable.

I'm basically cross shopping that laptop with this ASUS macbook pro clone for essentially $600 less for comparable specs. Sure the ASUS doesn't have the thin bezel and the corresponding smaller form factor, but at least the webcam placement is standard.

The webcam is not ideal, but I don't know if I've ever used a webcam on a laptop. You can look at reviews of the XPS 13 since the webcam is placed in the same spot.

Personally, if a good webcam was that much of a deciding factor I'd probably just spring for a good USB one.

mrpeaches
Jan 12, 2005

obi_ant posted:

Oy, no MSI in any brick and mortars.

I physically touched and played with one inside a Microsoft store and I'm fairly confident that I'm going to purchase the unit. I guess the only thing holding me back is the the fear that I'm going to want to play an AAA game down the line and I won't have the power to support it. I mean, given the history of the games that I've played, I really shouldn't be concerned. I've recently played... Team Fortress 2, Star Craft 2, Helldivers, Civilization 5, X-Com, Hearthstone, Counter Strike: GO, Bastion, DOTA, LOL, FTL, Hotline Miami and some other indie games. The issue is that I uh, "need" to play games in their highest setting.

Benchmarks of the various SSDs used in the XPS 15 are all over the map. It seems folks are getting various results based on which pcie driver they are using. I'm not a big benchmark person, all I can say is that the SSD is extremely fast.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
Do the OP laptop suggestions still pretty much hold today? I need a suggestion for a ~$500 and a ~$700-800 laptop. My requirements are pretty much none of that detachable touchscreen stuff and at least 250 GB storage (might be a problem for SSD at those prices). Using it for basic web stuff with very light gaming. Thinking an Intel HD is probably okay, but I'd like 8 GB RAM.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Boozie posted:

Do the OP laptop suggestions still pretty much hold today? I need a suggestion for a ~$500 and a ~$700-800 laptop. My requirements are pretty much none of that detachable touchscreen stuff and at least 250 GB storage (might be a problem for SSD at those prices). Using it for basic web stuff with very light gaming. Thinking an Intel HD is probably okay, but I'd like 8 GB RAM.

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i7559-763BLK-Full-HD-GeForce/dp/B015PYYDMQ

$799

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Speed's generally based on the model, not storage size. If it's getting better results, it might be a newer variant with a larger capacity.

Larger SSDs are faster than smaller ones, for reasons I don't remember.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Aphrodite posted:

They are not. With a larger drive, you may run out of space less. And some drives, like the Intel 750 PCIe, arrange their chips differently between the 480gb and 1.2tb versions that result in increased speeds, but this is not a function of size, but of differences between models.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I just bought this one, will post back when I get it!

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Aphrodite posted:

Because users of bigger SSDs have bigger needs. Also if you are using the same amount of space, more of it is free, and that helps a lot if you're doing a ton of writing and rewriting.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Thoughts on this?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233111

Seems the cheapest true quad core with gtx970m I've found.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

That looks pretty amazing. I especially like how they made a laptop with a 970m that doesn't look like a cross between a space ship and the evil contained in all Alienware computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

That looks pretty amazing. I especially like how they made a laptop with a 970m that doesn't look like a cross between a space ship and the evil contained in all Alienware computers.
It also appears to have actual buttons with the trackpad instead of the stupid loving trend of trackpads you have to press down.